Poll

So?

No, I'm very conscious about taking care of them.
21 (36.2%)
No, but I'll gently gnaw at them without damaging them.
8 (13.8%)
Sometimes, my nail-biting moves in waves.
7 (12.1%)
Yes, but I won't bite them too low.
9 (15.5%)
Yes, I often bite them to the point where it starts hurting.
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Do you bite your fingernails?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Ħ

Do you bite your fingernails?
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Kind of a weird thread, but I'm curious.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Do you bite your fingernails?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
Compulsively. That and my toe nails (well not biting but ripping them.)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
First option. Not because I care about my nails, but just because it's annoying when people do it. I cut them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »
Me, I would bite them way too low on many occasions. But it occurred to me that I could have nice nails in a very short amount of time, so I let them be, sitting nice and pretty like for a couple weeks. Then I bought myself a nice little kit with a nail clipper and a nail cleaner (to remove dirt underneath). Now I can say I've moved from Option 5 to Option 2, but I'd like to be at Option 1.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
I never bite my nails.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
No, but I'm not very conscious of taking care of them, either - I just don't like scaggy bitten nails that get caught on every piece of fabric I go near.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »
No, but I used to. Don't ask me how I stopped, though, I don't remember. It was a pain in the ass when I did it, though, so I'm glad I'm not doing it any longer.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:41:54 AM »
No, but I bite, dig, rip and pull the skin around them until it bleeds and I've got these dreadful wounds from it all the time, they can never heal as fast as I can destroy them again. People usually say "oh that means you're anxious or nervous over something". HAHAHAHHA. NO SHIT.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
I do, but only in need(piece hanging loose, etc) and not out of a compulsion or addiction. I got cigarretes for that. :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
No, but I bite, dig, rip and pull the skin around them until it bleeds and I've got these dreadful wounds from it all the time, they can never heal as fast as I can destroy them again. People usually say "oh that means you're anxious or nervous over something". HAHAHAHHA. NO SHIT.

lol i know how that feels.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
Aha! Yeah, hangnails, I massacre those poor guys. It irritates me to know I've got skin hanging there.

And, having read this post, I'm now having another go on them. Thank you. q:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
Aha! Yeah, hangnails, I massacre those poor guys. It irritates me to know I've got skin hanging there.

And, having read this post, I'm now having another go on them. Thank you. q:

lol i know how that feels.
Lol hangnail massacre bros :metal my blood tastes pretty delicious, I'll tell ya.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »
Reading some of these replies is making me cringe in sympathy-pain.

I went for option 1 even though I'm not very meticulous about caring for my nails. I'll trim 'em... eh whenever.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
Yowtch. I know that feel. But really, two days and your wounds are gone.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »
Yes, and also this

"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline krands85

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
I have done for as long as I can remember and I also do this:
I bite, dig, rip and pull the skin around them until it bleeds and I've got these dreadful wounds from it all the time, they can never heal as fast as I can destroy them again. People usually say "oh that means you're anxious or nervous over something". HAHAHAHHA. NO SHIT.

Makes them look horrible and it's an annoying habit, so I've finally made an effort to stop it recently. Stopped it completely a couple of months ago and it didn't take long for my fingertips to look normal. Had a bit of a relapse a few weeks ago with the skin-biting, but have cut it out again now and hopefully that's it for good.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
No, but I'm not particularly conscious of taking good care of them.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »
No, but I trim out my feet nails with my bare hands when I am apprehensive (football matches).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
I've bitten mine for as long as I can remember, sometimes I end up ripping far too much off which freakin' hurts. I've attempted to quit in the past 'cause lets face it, it isn't the most attractive habit, but I never managed more than a day or two at most. :/ I'm also guilty of biting the skin around my nails, so yeah, my fingers are usually a mess  ::)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »
Yes, but not to the point where it hurts. I used to be much worse with it, but now I'm treading the middle path.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
I bite my nails all the time, but they're super thick and I can't do any damage.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 10:57:06 AM »
Yep, my cuticles are torn to shit. Nervous habit and/or psychological FUCK.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
No, but out of periodic boredom and habit I cut them low so it looks like I'm biting them very accurately  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
No, but I bite, dig, rip and pull the skin around them until it bleeds and I've got these dreadful wounds from it all the time, they can never heal as fast as I can destroy them again.
I sometimes rip the skin around my nails too (or at least in my fingers) - never to the point of bleeding though.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »

Same here... i pick the skin off my fingertips constantly.  If there's a callous with a little bit of peeling skin, I pick at it.

I used to bite my nails but pretty much stopped completely after getting braces.  I'll occasionally tear them off (especially if they split) but for the most part I used a nail trimmer.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
occasionaly i'll bite my nails for a little and stop, but I used to gnaw the fuckers as far down as they'd go. Took some serious effort to stop doing that.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
I bite them so much it's become subconscious. I can't even tell when I'm doing it any more. I never do bite them too low though.

Offline jsem

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
My option doesn't exist here:

I don't bite my fingernails on the right hand for guitar-purposes. I file and polish them. So that's option one.

For the left hand, it's between option 4 & 5.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
Biting my nails feels crazy awkward to me, almost like chewing tin-foil.

Instead, almost my entire life, I have peeled my finger nails by using my thumbnail. People assume I bite them though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
No, I'm very conscious about taking care of them.

Although I was a heavy biter when I was younger. Serious bad habit I'm glad I overcame.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
No, never, no matter how long they are.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
First option. Not because I care about my nails, but just because it's annoying when people do it. I cut them.

This. H, you realize not everyone who clips their nails and doesn't bite them is "very conscious"? Nail clipping is basic hygiene. Simply doing it doesn't place you in a "very conscious of taking care of nails" category.

On the flipside, biting at them at all is a dirty habit most people drop when they're 5.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
I shape, trim, and file my nails because I'm one classy bird.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
But really, two days and your wounds are gone.
Two hours is a more realistic time frame when I get to stop biting them :lol I just can't stop. But then again I do/did way worse things than that.