Author Topic: North Korea  (Read 5326 times)

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

North Korea
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
Umm...yeah it's messed up. What's exactly Kim trying to accomplish with his shenanigans?

Online rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: North Korea
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »
Internal respect, externally negotiation chips for concessions. Same reason why Iran wants it too really.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »
Because he's crazy, and they are all convinced he is semi-divine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »
He has to know his army would get smashed by the U.S. and South Korea if he actually did anything. Sure, he might kill a lot of people in the process, but North Korea would lose this fight.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
If North Korea ever did manage to attack US soil with any type of weapon, that country would be turned to class in about 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:35:06 PM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »
Yeah, there's no way that NK comes out of this as a winner.  Hell, even China is telling them to get their shit together.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
Like I said before:
The primary goal of any dictator is to stay in power. Attacking Japan or North Korea isn't conducive to that goal and Jong-un knows it. It's possible that he does something relatively small. Wouldn't surprise me if they're busy looking for a boat to sink. Enough to save face in front of his homies, but not so big as to warrant a retaliatory strike or upset Beijing. The missile prep is just dick waving to counter our dick waving.

I don't think there's much we could do to retaliate, though. What are we gonna do, bomb a bunch of peasant villages? The viewpoint of damn near the whole world is that the people there are poor, impoverished and subjugated. A good ole American Nintendo war isn't going to go over very well. I think the slick move would be to approach it like Libya, where we take a tactical support role and let the South kick their asses. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
The ones who annoy me in all this are the Chinese. They need to be much more forceful.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
The ones who annoy me in all this are the Chinese. They need to be much more forceful.
This whole situation isn't really a national security issue like it is for South Korea and the United States. Once it starts to affect them, they'll be forceful. But at this point, it doesn't really affect them that much and they don't really give a shit.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
So the plan A of US/NATO/UN is to just try to negotiate and wait it out, but I wonder if there has been a plan B like for if and when things got out of hand. There must be a few, but I'm guessing reunification probably isn't a part of any serious plan.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
Like I said before:
The primary goal of any dictator is to stay in power. Attacking Japan or North Korea isn't conducive to that goal and Jong-un knows it. It's possible that he does something relatively small. Wouldn't surprise me if they're busy looking for a boat to sink. Enough to save face in front of his homies, but not so big as to warrant a retaliatory strike or upset Beijing. The missile prep is just dick waving to counter our dick waving.

I don't think there's much we could do to retaliate, though. What are we gonna do, bomb a bunch of peasant villages? The viewpoint of damn near the whole world is that the people there are poor, impoverished and subjugated. A good ole American Nintendo war isn't going to go over very well. I think the slick move would be to approach it like Libya, where we take a tactical support role and let the South kick their asses.

We could still glass the central chain of command with relatively less damage to civilians. Doesn't make it any less shitty a situation but still.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 05:40:38 AM »
So the plan A of US/NATO/UN is to just try to negotiate and wait it out, but I wonder if there has been a plan B like for if and when things got out of hand. There must be a few, but I'm guessing reunification probably isn't a part of any serious plan.

Normally when North Korea has gotten crazy like this the US has come to the negotiating table, except now they're not. The US knows the government is extremely weak right now. Iran is super strong that's why nothing will happen between the US and them, but NK is weak. Kim's own generals are questioning him. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Like I said before:

We could still glass the central chain of command with relatively less damage to civilians. Doesn't make it any less shitty a situation but still.

We could fly a drown in circles around them with attached speakers that play the brown note on loop until they surrender.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
That kind of harmless aggression is what North Korea really wants, I think. They'd love for the South and us to go in and blow up the Kim statues or something, because it'd give DPRK new fuel for their tired isolationism that relies on the populace believing that the entire world is trying to destroy them.

It'll be interesting to see how the new Kim plays out. 

Online rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
What's really sad and bizarre is that apparently the populace believes they could win a world war. They have been indoctrinated so much that they think they're the world's strongest military power.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
I bet he's got a really tiny penis.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »
I'm actually curious as to how indoctrinated the young Kim is. As someone educated abroad with an affinity for Western things, I wouldn't be surprised if he occasionally questions grandpa's autocracy, or wishes he could just wash his hands of it. Problem is, he and the governance of DPRK already have their backs to the wall, and are widely considered to be among the gravest violators of basic human rights ever.  When you've gone that far, what options do you have?

Could Kim and the government of North Korea successfully back down, and admit they're wrong? I'd imagine the answer is "No, not without serious consequences". You don't take part in a surrender of one of the world's most evil and incompetent governments ever, and get to escape from the international community unscathed.

There's certainly evil in the DPRK, but I'd imagine fear governs most of the government moreso than indoctrination or simple evilness. Remember: most people in the government now are the sons and daughters and grandchildren who were loyal to the first Kim. They're highly educated, often in universities abroad. At the same time, they're also probably aware that they're easily disposable if they begin to walk out of step. They are doubtless taking part in heinous amounts of evil and corruption, but, once again, they're up against a wall, and powerless to make change without sacrificing their own skin.

What do people do when they're up against the wall? In most cases, they have no choice but to take the fall. But, if they're armed, or even if they're not, they can pretend to be ballistic, and buy themselves at least some time to slink away. I think human nature dictates that most people born into power in North Korea would prefer buying themselves and their families time to commiting altruistic suicide for the greater good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
I bet he's got a really tiny penis.
I think you're right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
I don't understand why they're not thinking about gaining allies or making mutual defense pacts, their military strategists must know that a war with the U.S could not be fought by NK alone.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
Am I wrong in wanting N. Korea to just finally do something? They are being the biggest cock-teases ever.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Am I wrong in wanting N. Korea to just finally do something? They are being the biggest cock-teases ever.
I am feeling the same. And then I realize it's bad to think that because millions of Koreans would likely die in an armed conflict.

Online rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Read an interesting article saying that Kim only does this so he can scale down the rest of the army once they've gone nuclear. Apparently North Korea spends about 30% of their GDP on the military.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »
So what, like a million dollars?

Online rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
More like $10 billion.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Talks with North Korea, I can only assume, means Kim really will be getting exactly what he wanted by creating all this noise.

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
Read an interesting article saying that Kim only does this so he can scale down the rest of the army once they've gone nuclear. Apparently North Korea spends about 30% of their GDP on the military.

Wow, never thought of that, and it would make a whole lot of sense.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
Talks with North Korea, I can only assume, means Kim really will be getting exactly what he wanted by creating all this noise.
They shouldn't talk to North Korea, at all. They did this before, only for the U.S. to talk to them, and then they get what they want and the cycle starts over again.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
No I know. NYT reports Kerry is talking to North Korea.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
What an idiotic decision.

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
Yeah. Stupid to actually engage in conversation with people.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
A conversation with people you've had the same conversation with several times with the same result? Yeah, actually it is.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
A conversation with people you've had the same conversation with several times with the same result? Yeah, actually it is.
This. Haven't we learned from this yet?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
Saw this earlier today - this thread made me think of it. I laughed.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

What else would you guys suggest?

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »

What else would you guys suggest?

Nothing. They're like a child acting up for attention. From my understanding, they're incredibly weak. And if Kim Jong Un can't get the attention of the US the way his father did, his generals will question him...NK might even fall apart on its own...