Author Topic: ‘Nice goin’, boyfriend’: Woman hit in face with home run at Chase Field....  (Read 2475 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Jesus, it's a baseball.  If you can't avoid getting hit, that's your own fault.  Why should the guy be expected to protect her from that?
Only a complete idiot sits there and waits to be hit by a ball. It's the woman's fault. Period.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
I think they should both be raped and murdered.  :azn:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I'm still just curious to see if any of the dude's critics will be able back up their point of view with anything more legit than stuff like "It's the MAN's duty to protect" or "I woulda done it."

That's all true.  But you're at a baseball game supposedly to watch the game, right?  Someone hits a line drive out towards you, what are you looking at besides the ball?  And no, you can't tell exactly where it's going, but protecting yourself isn't an excuse for letting someone else get hurt.

I've actually hurt myself "protecting" my wife and kids from stuff that turned out not to be a threat, and we laughed about it later, but I figured that's just how it works.  If you love someone, your first instinct is not to protect yourself, but to protect them.  So in a weird way, this was like a "test" and the dude failed.

You're basically vilifying this dude and making his girl out to have the self preservation skills of a child in one fell swoop. It almost sounds like you have some grudge against the dude for being different from you.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I'm still just curious to see if any of the dude's critics will be able back up their point of view with anything more legit than stuff like "It's the MAN's duty to protect" or "I woulda done it."
Yeah, basically this. :P

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I already did.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
black_floyd, I generally agree that the guy is not the worst guy ever for doing what he didn't do, but let's be serious for a minute: everyone is gonna react in a different way in a situation like that.  Say for example you are driving 70 MPH on the highway and the guy in front of you suddenly slams on the breaks, you and your g/f are in the car, and even though you are slamming on your brakes, you know there is no way you are not gonna slam into him at a high speed, are you gonna take the "I will brace for the impact myself and screw my g/f, she can take care of herself" approach?  I know that many of us would brace for the impact while at the same time throw our right arm in front of our g/f merely as a reactionary, impulsive move.  It is not a well-thought thing; it is just your split second reaction.  Same thing with the guy and his girl at the baseball game.  Many of us would duck out of the way like he did; many of us would protect her if we saw the ball going straight at her.  Neither way is necessarily wrong.  That is why this is not black and white.  Like I said, we can all sit here all day saying what we would have done, but until you are in that actual situation, you really do not know.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I already did.
I think that's more chocked up to that not being a universal gut reaction.

EDIT: Didn't notice, but Kev explained basically what I'm getting at just above.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I made the allowance for instinctive reaction in my post. Unpredictable and not worthy of blame. However, what BF is looking for is the rational, thought out reasoning. Presumably, what that guy should have done had he recognized what was going down and had a second to think it over. I maintain that he should have made a play for the ball, and it has nothing to do with whether or not it's a man, woman or child seated next to him. If there's a possibility that somebody might get hurt, and you can prevent it with little risk of injury to yourself, then basic human decency says that you do it. My thought process would be more along the lines of "maybe that person doesn't know they're fixing to get clocked," rather than "she's a chick, I'd better jump to her rescue."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
My thought process would be more along the lines of "maybe that person doesn't know they're fixing to get clocked," rather than "she's a chick, I'd better jump to her rescue."

Personally, I'm not sure what's wrong with thinking that those aren't both perfectly valid responses.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

That's all true.  But you're at a baseball game supposedly to watch the game, right?  Someone hits a line drive out towards you, what are you looking at besides the ball?  And no, you can't tell exactly where it's going, but protecting yourself isn't an excuse for letting someone else get hurt.

I've actually hurt myself "protecting" my wife and kids from stuff that turned out not to be a threat, and we laughed about it later, but I figured that's just how it works.  If you love someone, your first instinct is not to protect yourself, but to protect them.  So in a weird way, this was like a "test" and the dude failed.

You're basically vilifying this dude and making his girl out to have the self preservation skills of a child in one fell swoop. It almost sounds like you have some grudge against the dude for being different from you.

No, what I'm saying is that if you love somebody, your first instinct is to protect them.  If your first instinct is to protect yourself, and after a second to think about it (which he had) you still haven't made any move to protect them from harm, then you suck.

Look, I'm not perfect, but there's reflex and then there's what you do.  So yeah he and I are different, but I'm not down on him because he's different; I'm down on him because he stood there and let his wife/girlfriend/whatever get beaned and he didn't do anything about it.

Is there audio?  Maybe he yelled at her to look out, and that's why she reacted the way she did.  She did seem to try to cover her face.  In that case, yes, he did do something and isn't a loser.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
So you WOULD go down on him.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
I can understand how frustrating this is to watch for someone who would have instinctively gone and caught that ball, but not everyone is like that.  There are reasons people react the way they do, and it's not always cut-and-dry self-centeredness.  Sometimes it is.  I don't know enough about these two people to judge the actions of either one of them. 

I would hope that anyone capable of catching a ball like that, or at least stopping it without losing your teeth, would do so to protect those around you no matter whether it be family, GF/BF or strangers (male or female).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would probably protect my girlfriend, not because I'm a gentleman, only because I don't want to be walking around with her with a fucked up face from a baseball.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'm not going to blame the guy. No one wants to get hit with a baseball, but he had plenty of time to catch it. He was following it the whole way down. I thought catching a flyball was a big deal at Baseball games.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I would probably protect my girlfriend, not because I'm a gentleman, only because I don't want to be walking around with her with a fucked up face from a baseball.

Yeah, better that she dump you cause you have a fucked up face from a baseball, right? :lol