Author Topic: ‘Nice goin’, boyfriend’: Woman hit in face with home run at Chase Field....  (Read 2481 times)

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
Source: Yahoo Sports

Heath Bell of the Arizona Diamondbacks gave up two home runs Tuesday night and nobody feels worse about it than Heath Bell. Except for the woman who was hit in the face with one of the home runs as her male companion — presumably her husband — cowered in fear and jumped out of the way.
That's right, we got another ducker.

In 2010, a woman's boyfriend infamously bailed as a foul ball came screaming at her. You remember Bo the Bailer! It would be nice if something like this happened only once every three years.

Pete Kozma of the St. Louis Cardinals went deep against Bell in the seventh inning, some 420 feet away in left-center at Chase Field in Phoenix. As the ball came in hot, a female fan — probably in her 20s — turned her head and covered up to protect herself as she sat in her seat. Meanwhile, the man seated next to her sprung up, pulled his arms close to his own body, gave a goofy expression and jumped out of the way as the ball hit his companion in the face. In the face!

As Cards' broadcaster Al Hrabosky put it:
 "Nice goin', boyfriend."

If you look closely at the video, they're both wearing wedding rings. Not sure if they're betrothed to each other — at all, or for much longer, after this. Patting her head like she was a puppy completes the living family photo, though. What a Melvin.

There are rules of etiquette about interacting with foul balls/home runs at ballparks. Protecting children and other significant family members comes first. Protecting your beer comes next. (Protecting your computer comes first in the press box.) Jumping out of the way, at all, is bad enough — an exception being with screaming foul balls. Usually, people at stadiums climb over each other for a baseball, and that's not good either. But thinking of yourself at the expense of others is a total George Costanza moment, and not something you ever live down. Nor should you.

--
webpoet73 says: My wife would kill me if I did this to her...

* pics and vid at source

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I love how people get so mad about this, who wouldn't try to get out of the way?! It's a natural reaction!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:57:50 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Syzzle

Guess his dad never taught him how to catch a baseball when he was a kid.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Guess his dad never taught him how to catch a baseball when he was a kid.
If he wasn't wearing a glove that would have really fucking hurt..

Offline HarlequinForest

Jesus, it's a baseball.  If you can't avoid getting hit, that's your own fault.  Why should the guy be expected to protect her from that?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
My dad got hit in the head by a foul ball once.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
It was on a direct course for her anyway, regardless of whether he moved or not. He was standing next to her, not in front of her. Every time they showed him I kept seeing Sheldon from Big Bang.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
Jesus, it's a baseball.  If you can't avoid getting hit, that's your own fault.  Why should the guy be expected to protect her from that?

It's called "chivalry". 

Offline Rattlehead

I love how people get so mad about this, who wouldn't try to get out of the way?! It's a natural reaction!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

It's called "chivalry".

Women fought for years for equality... That includes having to catch a baseball.

Offline Rattlehead

Chivalry?  :facepalm: This is one of those cases where doing the normal thing that anyone would do gets people all up in arms. I feel bad for that guy  :lol

Offline HarlequinForest

It's called "chivalry".

It's called "gender inequality".  I hold the door open for dates, but I also hold the door open for guy strangers because I'm nice, not chivalrous.  If it was the girl that moved out the way and the guy got hit, people would probably be laughing at him as if he were one of the Three Stooges. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I'm with HarlequinForest, Rattlehead, and Chino 1000% on this. Anyone giving the dude shit is probably one of the following:

1. One of those people who live for drama or to criticize others, warranted or not.

2. A closet sexist for indirectly implying a grown woman can't defend herself from a falling (not even pitched, just falling) baseball and that a man is obligated to baby her by protecting her from this "rogue" projectile. They obviously wouldn't give the girl shit if the dude got hit because of her "negligence."

3. In need of more fulfilling activities to occupy their free time.

I guess this thread has the potential to become DTF's inane piss match of the week.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
It's called "sexism".
FTFY

I say this is her own fault. The guy saw the ball coming towards them, and got out of the way, which is what anyone who wasn't going to try and catch the ball should do. The girlfriend just turned her head, and waited to be hit, when she should have done the same thing he did, kept her eyes on the ball and got out of its way.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Yeah, I would never expect a guy (or anyone) to take the wrath of a flying baseball for me. She's a grown-ass woman, and anyone talking about "chivalry" is living in a different time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Rattlehead

I heard the guy is also getting ripped for not taking his baseball jersey off and throwing it over a puddle of beer at the game for his girlfriend to walk over.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
OK, guess I gotta put in my two cents here....

What the fuck type of baseball fan avoids a home run ball? Any fan with two babymakers still dangling between his legs and the memories of playing catch with grandpa as a child ringing through his head would have knocked his old lady out of the way to get the fucking ball.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Is that guy that caught that ball from the Cubs game still in hiding?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
If it were a line drive foul I'd back the guy. Instincts are a bitch to overcome. That was a pop fly, though. Catching the ball and protecting his old lady should have been a gut reaction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Why? Nobody has stated any reason other than arcane, patronizing mentalities as a basis for why a presumably fully-mentally-functioning adult woman can't protect herself from a benign baseball. Sorry, but dogging a guy out because he doesn't adhere to antiquated pretense is immature at best.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
What a little shit.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
Yeah, I would never expect a guy (or anyone) to take the wrath of a flying baseball for me. She's a grown-ass woman, and anyone talking about "chivalry" is living in a different time.

Well, I am old...

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
 :lol

It's so lovely to see you! Now come open this door for me.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I would've protected my wife, not because of chivalry or sexism or whatever you want to call it, but because she's my wife and my first instinct would be to protect her from something hard flying at her head.  Yeah, we're at a baseball game and we know there's a slight but real chance that a ball will come flying at you.  So I'm supposed to let it hit her and say "Sorry babe, you knew the risks"?  I don't think so.

Offline Rattlehead

It's not like he knew for sure that it was going to hit her though. I think this notion that he just "let it hit her" is kind of ridiculous considering how it's not exactly easy to tell where a ball like that is going to land, especially when you're trying to protect yourself. I also completely agree with Harlequin that if the man got hit people would probably just be laughing at him.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Why? Nobody has stated any reason other than arcane, patronizing mentalities as a basis for why a presumably fully-mentally-functioning adult woman can't protect herself from a benign baseball. Sorry, but dogging a guy out because he doesn't adhere to antiquated pretense is immature at best.
It has nothing to do with arcane concepts of chivalry. If I were attending the game with Jose Conseco, I'd still try to keep him from getting walloped with a ball. That's just common courtesy. Maybe he's drinking a beer or hitting on the girl in front of us and doesn't see the ball coming. Maybe we're deeply engrossed discussing 18th century social legislation. If I see a ball coming and it's something I can safely make a play for, I'm not going to stop and consider whether or not the person next to me should fend for himself or not.

Like I said, if it's a line drive, I'd understand if fight or flight kicked in; you can't outrun adrenaline. But something like that, you do what you can to make sure no one gets hurt.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

It's called "chivalry".

Women fought for years for equality... That includes having to catch a baseball.

:clap:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
It's not like he knew for sure that it was going to hit her though. I think this notion that he just "let it hit her" is kind of ridiculous considering how it's not exactly easy to tell where a ball like that is going to land, especially when you're trying to protect yourself. I also completely agree with Harlequin that if the man got hit people would probably just be laughing at him.

That's all true.  But you're at a baseball game supposedly to watch the game, right?  Someone hits a line drive out towards you, what are you looking at besides the ball?  And no, you can't tell exactly where it's going, but protecting yourself isn't an excuse for letting someone else get hurt.

I've actually hurt myself "protecting" my wife and kids from stuff that turned out not to be a threat, and we laughed about it later, but I figured that's just how it works.  If you love someone, your first instinct is not to protect yourself, but to protect them.  So in a weird way, this was like a "test" and the dude failed.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Quick hits...

I don't blame anybody for instinctively moving away from an incoming baseball

He should have been paying attention though

Then again if I'm at a baseball game I'm going to try and do whatever I can not to have to watch baseball, it's a horrible boring fucking sport with almost no redeeming values. I'd honestly rather watch a chess match. Hell, I'd rather watch a chess match than PLAY baseball.

Saying the guy had some sort of duty to protect the woman on the basis of her being a woman IS sexist, regardless of age.

However if you are watching and have time to react and don't at least try to deflect the ball from the people around you then you simply fail!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Thats too funny.

The guy probably just saw it and reacted by protecting himself. As any human would do upon seeing a ball that close in that short amount of time. ..

Chino I really agree with you on the equality thing.what if he wasn't there at all, would she still have gotten hit or actually protected herself as she shouldve done. My god is she that helpless...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Okay, just watched the video. He totally should have at least tried to catch that.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
cus men is sposed 2 stand up 4 dey grl no mattr wut :heart :heart

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
 :rollin God damn it, lie... RIGHT when I took a sip of my momosa. I could completely see that being posted on a social networking site. Any of them.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, just watched the video. He totally should have at least tried to catch that.

My first thought as well. While not a can of corn, that was not a line drive that was going to rip his hands off.

This is also a function of making MLB parks more ‘family friendly.’ Turn the outfield stands in to an outdoor dining experience, and you’re going to get more people there for the social aspect than for the game itself. “What the hell? A baseball flew right in to my table and interrupted my dinner!”

Also, LOL at the broadcaster calling that guy out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'