Author Topic: Locked 'n Pinned Luna Park/DT12 threads  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Locked 'n Pinned Luna Park/DT12 threads
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:54:49 AM »
I'd like to suggest unpinning and/or locking the following threads, and replacing them with pinned locked threads that actually contain (and only contain) up-to-date news regarding DT's future releases.

http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35685.0
http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35260.0

The problem is, discussion in the "Luna Park" and "DT enters the studio again" threads has turned into vague and constant expressions of anxiety vaguely related to DT and OTE "not updating quick enough". This kinda of thing is not only irritating for people like me who just check the threads for actual updates, but it's also probably better suited in the pinned DT General Chat thread.

I know in the past DTF has had threads regarding new releases that were locked and only updated as actual news was confirmed. Would it make sense to do that again?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Locked 'n Pinned Luna Park/DT12 threads
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »
I hadn't thought about that, but it's a good idea. It doesn't even have to be in the DT chat thread, the thread could just be re-named and unpinned, calling it something like "DT Live in Luna Park Discussion", and we're all good, and all the relevant information can be added to a thread by the mods.

Though I'd be against locking the unstickied threads. There's nothing really over the line in them (unless I missed something), and if people want to discuss that stuff, why not let them? If we have an update thread that's stickied that the mods update, people that aren't interested in random speculation/studio pics/general angst could just skip the other threads.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm not against those threads if actual discussion occurs. But, a lot of what goes on in them seems like people doing general DT chatting, rather than discussing any actual release details. I generally don't mind internet discussions going off the rails a bit (and frequently take them their myself), but when you've got pages and pages of off-topic bantering... it's kinda discouraging for someone who really has something to say about the release.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »
Count me in on this too.  I like the in depth discussions but not when I only have a few minutes and want to check if there are any updates.  This forum has always been the best one out there for both these aspects but when you mix them you get neither.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
I hate surfing through 7 pages of meaningless chat thread for something random thing JM said. I second this motion.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
I agree that there should absolutely be some kind of filter on what gets to stay in the studio threads - it does become natter - but I don't know that locking it outright is necessarily the best solution. It's good to have somewhere to not just catalogue but discuss the tidbits as and when they arrive. I think it's good to have central locations to talk about studio news, and I think they should be open 24/7... it's just the misuse that bothers me.

That doesn't mean I've got a better solution, though. You could have a locked thread and an open thread, but the open thread would look a lot like the ones we've already got. I'd want to split tangents off, like you have with the lyric thing, but that'd require a lot of moderator attention which I don't know the team should be obliged to give just cos us 'orrible lot won't stop twittering.

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
Joe, I will unpin these threads and replace them with a new "What We Know" thread if you start it and keep it updated. Of course you would have to message me to unlock it when you post and edit the OP, but you have me on FB so that shouldn't be difficult. Let me know if you're interested.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, AND YOU?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:33:38 AM »
Joe, I will unpin these threads and replace them with a new "What We Know" thread if you start it and keep it updated. Of course you would have to message me to unlock it when you post and edit the OP, but you have me on FB so that shouldn't be difficult. Let me know if you're interested.

A Fair Judgement  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »

Here's my issue with that: I don't have time to do it, which is kinda where the annoyance of checking for updates comes in.

But, would anyone else who does have time be interested in doing it?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »
I'll have a go. I've been trying to compile bits and bobs in a blog over the last few months, anyway, so I'm happy to have a stab.

Out the door at the moment, but I can start work in a couple of hours when I get back in, if everyone's okay with it?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
I certainly am!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
Vital Statistics

Tracks and Titles
- Untitled Instrumental (Confirmed 28th March '13)

Total tracks and running order remain unconfirmed.

Confirmed personnel
James LaBrie - Vocals
Mike Mangini - Drums
John Myung - Bass
John Petrucci - Guitar
Jordan Rudess - Keyboard

Rich Chycki - Engineer (Confirmed 5th Jan '13)

Release date
September 2013 (Estimated 7th December '12)

Label
Roadrunner Records, as part of a new three-album deal. (Confirmed 3rd December '13)

Recording schedule
Dream Theater entered the studio on the 5th of January, 2013.

Lyrics
John Myung has stated his intention to write lyrics for a song on the new album. (Confirmed 28th March '13)

Quotes 'n' Notes

Re-Signing with Roadrunner:

“We are all very excited to be re-signing with Roadrunner Records! Over the past 5 years from the release of Systematic Chaos to our latest A Dramatic Turn of Events, we've developed strong creative and professional bonds with everyone at Roadrunner as well as many great friendships along the way. [...] They are a record company we relate to as an organization firmly rooted in its ideals and mission, while always pushing the envelope in an effort to keep things moving ever forward. We’ve reached many career defining milestones while at Roadrunner and are all incredibly pumped in anticipation of our continued future together!”
(Dream Theater - DreamTheater.net - 3rd December 2012)

"There were other offers that we were considering, but we definitely felt strongest about Roadrunner and building on the relationships and the history. With the people that are there, and what we’ve done together, and how they know how we operate and how we know they operate, there’s a lot to be said for that. When the label understands the band, and the band understands the label, there’s a bond. [...] Since that relationship was strengthened and developed over three albums, continuing made so much sense."
(John Petrucci – MetalInsider.net – 7th December 2012.)

Release Schedule:

"We’re on the same schedule as A Dramatic Turn of Events, meaning that we entered the studio at the same time to work on that album, and it didn’t come out until September. It’s too early to tell if it will follow the same release schedule. By the time we’re done, writing, recording, mixing, mastering, it could be May-ish, and then we hit the Summer festival season in Europe around July or so, it’ll probably be a similar schedule."
(John Petrucci – MetalInsider.net – 7th December 2012.)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »
^^^ That's the kind of thing I'm planning to do. That won't be the finished post, but that kind of format. So you've got the at-a-glance, "This is what we know," bit at the top, and then lots and lots of links and snippets from interviews, sources, and what have you. Possibly in a separate post, rather than using the horizontal rule. I'll do the same thing for Luna Park, as well, and I'll keep editing and adding snippets of info as they become available.

Sound good?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
I like it. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline aprilethereal

• A walking mirror
  • Shed your light on me
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
Vital Statistics

Tracks and Titles
- Bridges In The Sky
- 6:00
- The Dark Eternal Night
- This is the Life
- The Root of all Evil
- Lost Not Forgotten
- Drum Solo
- A Fortune in Lies
- The Silent Man
- Beneath the Surface
- Outcry
- Piano Solo
- Surrounded
- War Inside My Head
- The Test that Stumped Them All
- Guitar Solo
- The Spirit Carries On
- Breaking All Illusions
- Metropolis pt. 1
(Played live 19th Aug 2012)

- These Walls
- Build Me Up, Break Me Down
- Caught in a Web
- Wait for Sleep
- Far from Heaven
- Pull Me Under
(Played live 20th Aug 2012)

Total tracks and running order remain unconfirmed.

An Amazon.co.jp listing, accessed 20th March 2013, suggested that the main feature will comprise all the tracks from the first night, and the tracks from the second night will be included as bonus features.

Confirmed personnel
James LaBrie - Vocals
Mike Mangini - Drums
John Myung - Bass
John Petrucci - Guitar
Jordan Rudess - Keyboard

Rich Chycki - Mixer (Confirmed 7th Nov '12)

Release date
May 2013. (Confirmed 1st Feb '13)

Label
Eagle Rock Entertainment. (Confirmed 1st Feb '13)

Formats
Live at Luna Park will be released as a 2DVD set, a Blu-Ray, a digital video, a 2DVD/3CD set, a Blu-Ray/3CD set, and as a deluxe edition comprising 3 CDs, 2 DVDs, a Blu-Ray and at least one exclusive bonus feature. (Confirmed 1st Feb '13)

The deluxe edition will grant access to interactive Matovision footage of 6:00, which the user can manipulate to watch the performance from an "almost limitless" array of custom angles. (Confirmed 5th April 2013)

Bonus Features
The first trailer promises "Never-before-seen footage that goes behind closed doors, and continues their epic saga."

Quotes 'n' Notes

Personnel:
"My friends Dream Theater performed to massive crowds at Estadio Luna Park in Buenos Aires on August 19 & 20, 2012 in support of their very well-received release, A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Unfortunately, a scheduling conflict didn't allow me to participate in the location recording but the mix is well underway here for the live DVD and the band's performance is absolutely stellar."
(Rich Chycki - richardchycki.com - 7th November 2012)

^^^ Similar deal, but for Live at Luna Park. Again, work in progress - needs a lot more quotes at the bottom, for starters. Think the track list looks a bit cumbersome at the top, there. Will probably make the font smaller. Need to add the artwork, too - and a citation for the title, in case anyone needs it. But, it's a start! Again, what do people think?

Not sure if Eagle Rock is a label or a publisher. Need to check. I'd imagine it'd be published by Ytse Jams?

Nick - if this all looks okay, give me the go-ahead and I'll post the threads DT-side. I'm still editing and re-formatting and adding new facts, so I should have some rather more complete compendiums at that point.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:09:39 AM by robwebster »

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:39 PM »
Go ahead, and message me when you do so I can lock and pin it.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline robwebster

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36530.0 First one! PM imminent. Luna Park's still in progress, cos we know more about it. Should be ready shortly.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, AND YOU?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
Great job, D! (what does it stand for, by the way? :D)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
D stands for DINOSAUR!

RAR!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
Thank you for doing this.  The reasons Joe stated are the very reasons I largely avoid the DT side;  the same reason I avoid baby diapers.  Full of smelly shit and contain nothing of value.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
Awesome job guys!  Thanks!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »
Lookin' great, Rob!