Author Topic: Dire Straits  (Read 9763 times)

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
Dire Straits
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:41:09 AM »
Seriously, this band are timeless.
Soooo good.
Discuss.
When you are the moon, there is a person people say is the sun. I saw the sun once, and he came past me, really fast. And it was an, it was called, the, an eclipse. And he came fast! But as he came past, I, I licked his back. And he doesn't know I licked his back. All on his yellow suit.

Offline MS394

Re: Dire Straits
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »
Mark Knopfler  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

And yes, they are amazing.

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »
Interestingly, I never thought much of Knopflers solo stuff. Wasn't up to DS standards!
When you are the moon, there is a person people say is the sun. I saw the sun once, and he came past me, really fast. And it was an, it was called, the, an eclipse. And he came fast! But as he came past, I, I licked his back. And he doesn't know I licked his back. All on his yellow suit.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:46:41 AM »
I have all their albums in one form or another, and the thing that strikes me is how consistent they are.  The mix of mellow introspective stuff to upbeat rockers, the fact that the production is always great, the quality of the songwriting.  For my own taste, I prefer the upbeat stuff to the mellower, and always thought the ratio could use a little adjustment, but that's not how Mark wanted it.  And he does know how to tell a story ("Telegraph Road", "Once Upon a Time in the West"), I just love his pickin' so much that I wish there was more of it.

Edit: Because "does" and "doesn't" don't mean the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:25:19 PM by Orbert »

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
Just listening to Romeo and Juliet, such a good cheesy classic!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »
Yes, awesome band. Been listening to them since my father introduced me to their music when I was a kid.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
And the big wheel keeps on turning neon burning up above and Im just high on the world, Come on and take a low with me girl... On the tunnel of love!

Offline MS394

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
Interestingly, I never thought much of Knopflers solo stuff. Wasn't up to DS standards!

Yeah, I was refering more to Knopfler´s guitar work, which is great IMO  :biggrin:.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
I have all their albums in one form or another, and the thing that strikes me is how consistent they are.  The mix of mellow introspective stuff to upbeat rockers, the fact that the production is always great, the quality of the songwriting.  For my own taste, I prefer the upbeat stuff to the mellower, and always thought the ratio could use a little adjustment, but that's not how Mark wanted it.  And he doesn't know how to tell a story ("Telegraph Road", "Once Upon a Time in the West"), I just love his pickin' so much that I wish there was more of it.

Interesting that you say that Orbert, as consistency from album-to-album is (for me) the mark of an outstanding band.  I think I shall get a hold of their catalog soon.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:35:59 PM »
Sir Bradford, please explain the PJ reference in your sig to me.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
I'm listening to Metallica cover Brothers In Arms. Good cover, but not as good as the original. I've haerd very very little Dire Straits, but what I've heard is good.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »

I'm running a survivor in the Polls/Survivors section of this forum.  We're actually almost done, but the consolation rounds and finals will be starting in a couple week.

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »

I'm running a survivor in the Polls/Survivors section of this forum.  We're actually almost done, but the consolation rounds and finals will be starting in a couple week.
I see. there was me hoping to spot another fan.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »

I see. there was me hoping to spot another fan.

Spotted.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23:43 AM »
...And he doesn't know how to tell a story ("Telegraph Road", "Once Upon a Time in the West")...

Telegraph Road is one of my favorite songs... hell, Love Over Gold is a great album overall.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
YAY a Dire Straits thread. I love them, have everything and rank them as one of my favorite bands of all time, right about DT and Tool.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »
Oh shit... I meant to say he does know how to tell a story.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »
How has Sultans of Swing not gotten any love in this thread yet? Especially the live version from the Alchemy discs, which currently holds the position of my favorite song.

Such a great song which perfectly crafts the story of a band of musicians who know they'll never make it big, but they still come together to play because it's what they love to do. The guitar work in that song gives me chills every time.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 02:22:58 AM »
How has Sultans of Swing not gotten any love in this thread yet? Especially the live version from the Alchemy discs, which currently holds the position of my favorite song.

Oh yes! Love the studio version, and the Alchemy version takes it to another level.  :heart

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

Such a great song which perfectly crafts the story of a band of musicians who know they'll never make it big, but they still come together to play because it's what they love to do. The guitar work in that song gives me chills every time.

If I made a list of greatest songs for _________(instrument), Sultans of Swing would be on the top of the list for guitar.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 02:44:44 AM »
I went through a brief phase towards the end of high school where I was going to get right into these guys, but never ended up following through.

In the last few months though, I've been heading back into that territory.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »
They are amazing. Both on CD and live. They have so many great songs. Off the top of my head: Sultans of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Twisting By The Pool, Walk of Life, Money for Nothing, Tunnel of Love, Private Investigations, Solid Rock, ...

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
Don't forget Wild West End, Lady Writer, and On Every Street.

Shit I'm going to put on some Dire Straits right now.

Offline jag66

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
its all about telegraph road and brothers in arms

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
Your Latest Trick is also amazing.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »
Your Latest Trick is also amazing.

Excellent song to be sure.....as are Brothers in Arms, Sultans of Swing, and Private Investigations.  :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
Brothers In Arms (the song) is such an awesome song. So heartfelt, so melancholic, so beautiful.

Btw... Could you guys recommend me some DS albums? I already have the obvious ones (their debut and Brothers In Arms).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »
Love Over Gold should be your next DS album then. Private Investigations alone is worth the listen.

Offline christoffer81

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
It must have been over a year since I last posted here, but I got to here!

Dire Straits is an amazing band and one of my all time favourites. I must say I prefer the two first albums, although Telegraph Road might be my favourite single song.

I am also abig fan of MK solo albums. His best are Sailing to Philadelphia and Shangri-La. His latest was sort of meh I have to say, even though there are three or four brilliant tracks on it.

Edit: LOL it's even in my sig. I had completely forgotten. I had that quote in my sig at dt.net. Seems I must have kept it.  :D

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »
Yeah, both Making Movies and Love Over Gold are classic albums, and Alchemy is one of the best live albums ever. Shame they broke up when they did, but then again Knopfler  was clearly bored with that stuff and moving away from it anyway.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
Brothers In Arms (the song) is such an awesome song. So heartfelt, so melancholic, so beautiful.

Btw... Could you guys recommend me some DS albums? I already have the obvious ones (their debut and Brothers In Arms).

I love how soft his playing is on Brother In Arms, you don't see many guitar players these days compliment the song so well.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
Wow, two years since the last response.

I need some recommendations, please.

-Recommend me three studio albums that I should listen to.

-Recommend me a live album I should definitely check out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »
I'm a huge Dire Straits fan, have been for many years.

Anyway, three albums in no particular order:

- Dire Straits (1978) - Their first album. A lot of fan gloss over this album but it has some real gems and some real groove. I much prefer this album over Brothers In Arms. "Wild West End", "Down To The Waterline" and "Sultans Of Swing" are great.

- Making Movies (1980) - Most of the songs I listen when I put on Dire Straits come from this album. It has some brilliant, moving, and passionate story telling with well written music as a solid back bone.

- Brothers In Arms (1985) - I'm very tempted to replace this album with something like On Every Street or Love Over Gold but to most casual listeners this is the definitive Dire Straits album. I'm sure you've heard 80% of the songs on hear on the radio at one point but even still the songs are there and are fun to listen to.

As for a live album, I'd go with "On Every Night" if you want to see a good concert on DVD, or go with "Alchemy" if you're going to listen to it.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
Much appreciated response, ReapKK! I will definitely check those out really soon.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
Let me know how you like em. They are very solid band and the lyrical writing is top notch.