Author Topic: Radiohead - The King of Limbs (v. New Thom Yorke solo album out!)  (Read 99701 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Radiohead
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
Oh man, that is one sweet song.  It is called "These Are My Twisted Words" and can be found pretty easily on youtube.

Offline jag66

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:45 AM »
And there are rumours of a new EP release on monday  :eek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me.  Remember how they released In Rainbows?  There was no pre-release talk or build-up or any long wait; it was like, "yeah, we recorded a new album and it will be available for download next week for any price you want." 

Offline DannyVaz

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 07:09:33 AM »
And there are rumours of a new EP release on monday  :eek
:omg:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »
Quote from: Thom Yorke
"I mean, it's just become a real drag. It worked with [2007 album] 'In Rainbows' because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we've all said that we can't possibly dive into that again. It'll kill us." Yorke added that Radiohead "need to get away" from releasing albums in the traditional format.

What a baby.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2009, 04:35:49 AM »
So "These Are My Twisted Words" has ben released for free. Go to their website to download it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
I've started listening to Amnesiac a lot, and i have to say that i love it.
I know most Radiohead fans seems to hate it, but i really like it.
Packt Like Sardines In a Crush, Pyramid Song, You and whose army, I might be wrong and Knives out are all fantastic imo.
Especially Pyramid Song, which i would rank one of my favorite RH-songs.

Anyone else that doesnt hate Amnesiac? :)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »
It's alright. The songs you mentioned are the ones I like as well. Pulk/Pull Revolving Door is one of the most worthless songs Radiohead has ever made, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »
I've started listening to Amnesiac a lot, and i have to say that i love it.
I know most Radiohead fans seems to hate it, but i really like it.
Packt Like Sardines In a Crush, Pyramid Song, You and whose army, I might be wrong and Knives out are all fantastic imo.
Especially Pyramid Song, which i would rank one of my favorite RH-songs.

Anyone else that doesnt hate Amnesiac? :)

Most Radiohead fans don't hate Amnesiac; they just don't rate it as highly as some of their other records.

Most of the ones you mentioned are the best ones, along with "Like Spinning Plates."  :tup :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
"I mean, it's just become a real drag. It worked with [2007 album] 'In Rainbows' because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we've all said that we can't possibly dive into that again. It'll kill us." Yorke added that Radiohead "need to get away" from releasing albums in the traditional format.

What a baby.
This was kinda my thought when I considered this comment again.

I mean, I do realise making an album is normally a big thing, but it's part of being a musician. It'd be like complaining about having to practice your instrument. It just sounds kinda weak. "We just can't possibly do what we've done seven times before, and what tens of thousands of other bands do all the time. It's just too much for us".

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
one paranoid androit is enough to make radiohead immortal.

the whole album amnesia is gorgeous.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:44 PM »

What a baby.

I mean, I do realise making an album is normally a big thing, but it's part of being a musician. It'd be like complaining about having to practice your instrument. It just sounds kinda weak. "We just can't possibly do what we've done seven times before, and what tens of thousands of other bands do all the time. It's just too much for us".

Do you have millions of people expecting you to push out musical material every couple of years, and record companies on your back, not to mention the constant stress of touring? They aren't any old musicians, so have far far far more to live up to than the majority of bands. So yes, I can conceive it to being a very hard time for them. Sure he's using strong language, but that just reinforces how much they feel about it.

Do you really think TY is saying "waaah we don't want to be normal because its effort waaah"?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Bumping this.
Anyone else who've heard Thom Yorke's solo album 'The Eraser'?
I think its amazing, it has a certain Kid A/Amnesiac feeling, but still that other thing which makes it unique, and makes it stand out as an album of its own.
I especially love the title-track, Black Swan, Skip Divided and Cymbal Rush, but i think the whole album is awesome.
Your thoughts about it?
Also, i believe Thom Yorke and a band has been playing this material live lately as well. =)
Better bumping this thread than making a new one only for this album. :)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2009, 10:43:36 AM »

What a baby.

Do you have millions of people expecting you to push out musical material every couple of years, and record companies on your back, not to mention the constant stress of touring? They aren't any old musicians, so have far far far more to live up to than the majority of bands. So yes, I can conceive it to being a very hard time for them. Sure he's using strong language, but that just reinforces how much they feel about it.
I don't, no, but I never said I did.

And once again, there are hundreds if not thousands of artists/bands in the world who are in the same /a similar position. And those bands keep releasing albums.

Anyway, I've given both The Bends and In Rainbows a decent listen in the last couple of months. The Bends is now my 2nd favourite behind Kid A, and it's the only Radiohead album where I LOVE every track. I feel about the same about In Rainbows as I do all their post-Kid A albums. It has some good songs, it has some I'm not particularly phased about.

Also, now that I've actually heard these albums, looking back on the list that Kev posted on the first page... Reckoner in the Top 10 Radiohead songs? It'd barely make my Top 10 In Rainbows songs.

Offline j

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »
The Bends is Radiohead's best album, followed closely by OK Computer.

Kid A and In Rainbows aren't too far behind, and Amnesiac is about on par with them.

I do not have any of their other albums.  Which one(s) should I get, if any?

-J

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
I think the only essential one you're missing now is Hail to the Thief.  I'm still missing Amnesiac from my collection.

My top 10 songs right now, just looking back at that first page:
1. Paranoid Android
2. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
3. Everthing in its Right Place
4. Just
5. Street Spirit (Fade Out)
6. The National Anthem
7. 15 Step
8. 2+2=5
9. No Surprises
10. All I Need

That was pretty tough.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about How to Disappear Completely...*sigh*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
Anyone else who've heard Thom Yorke's solo album 'The Eraser'?
I think its amazing, it has a certain Kid A/Amnesiac feeling, but still that other thing which makes it unique, and makes it stand out as an album of its own.
I especially love the title-track, Black Swan, Skip Divided and Cymbal Rush, but i think the whole album is awesome.
Your thoughts about it?

It's not bad.  There are a few songs I like, but as a whole, I would describe it as merely not bad.

Also, now that I've actually heard these albums, looking back on the list that Kev posted on the first page... Reckoner in the Top 10 Radiohead songs? It'd barely make my Top 10 In Rainbows songs.

I think you need new ears. :)

The Bends is Radiohead's best album, followed closely by OK Computer.

Kid A and In Rainbows aren't too far behind, and Amnesiac is about on par with them.

I do not have any of their other albums.  Which one(s) should I get, if any?

-J

Hail to the Thief.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about How to Disappear Completely...*sigh*

BEST RADIOHEAD SONG EVER.

Offline jag66

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »
The eraser is reasonable (nothing on his work with the band though). Favourites are probably analyse and harrowdown hill. Thom did cymbal rush when they played victoria park last year, pretty amazing actually.

Fluffy.. reckoner is one of radiohead's crown achievements imho.

Album order:

OK Computer
Kid A
In Rainbows = The Bends
Hail to the thief = Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
My personal top10 Radiohead songs atm would look something like:
1. Packt like sardines in a crushd tin box
2. Pyramid song
3. Everything in its right place
4. Morning bell
5. Jigsaw falling into place
6. Backdrifts
7. 2+2=5
8. I might be wrong
9. airbag
10. paranoid android

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2009, 05:30:29 AM »
Album list

1. In Rainbows
2. The Bends
3. Kid A
4. OK Computer
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey

I got to know them around OK Computer. I really didn't expect anything from them anymore, but In Rainbows has the pleasure of being the only Radiohead album without a single weak song. Every song is just a complete home run, and has its own identity. Truly love the lyrics too.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »
Just found this:
https://onethirtybpm.com/2009/10/07/radiohead-to-record-new-album-this-winter/
Old, but sounds interesting, unless something has changed after. :o

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
I still don't understand the worship of In Rainbows. There's not a bad song on it but there doesn't seem to be any fantastic ones. Most of the songs feel like stripped down versions of something they used to be. It's pretty much the definition of a 3.5/5 album for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »
I still don't understand the worship of In Rainbows. There's not a bad song on it but there doesn't seem to be any fantastic ones. Most of the songs feel like stripped down versions of something they used to be. It's pretty much the definition of a 3.5/5 album for me.

I enjoy it, but its pretty varied i'd say.
Songs that stand out to me are Jigsaw falling into place, 15 step, faust arp and Videotape.
But it has some other cool songs as well. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
To me, In Rainbows is a flawless CD, bonus disc and all.  Its consistency is amazing. :)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
I feel guilty having still not listened to In Rainbows :blush

Street Spirit however, is probably the best piano led track I have ever heard.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2009, 06:11:34 PM »
Piano where?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2009, 03:10:17 AM »
I still think OK Computer is an overrated album. =/
Kid A/Amnesiac are my favs, but i'd rank In Rainbows, Hail to the Thief and The Bends over it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2009, 05:14:36 AM »
Kid A/Amnesiac are my favs, but i'd rank In Rainbows, Hail to the Thief and The Bends over it.

I agree. OK Computer is one of my least favorite Radiohead albums. The only thing that is truly amazing on there: Paranoid Android. The other songs are too whiny for my tastes. The Bends, Kid A, HTTT, In Rainbows and even Amnesiac contain better music in my book.

Offline jag66

« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2009, 06:34:52 AM »

I agree. OK Computer is one of my least favorite Radiohead albums. The only thing that is truly amazing on there: Paranoid Android. The other songs are too whiny for my tastes. The Bends, Kid A, HTTT, In Rainbows and even Amnesiac contain better music in my book.

Controverial! I'll have to strongly disagree :p

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »

Controverial! I'll have to strongly disagree :p

Weird, right?

OK Computer was the first Radiohead album I heard, with the knowledge of it being a 'revolutionary' rock album. I somehow got along with that mindset... but after hearing everything RH has made, it's certainly not the most special music they've made. The layering etc. is fantastic, but I'm far more interested in the minimalism/expressionism heard on Kid A and In Rainbows. In Rainbows in particular feature incredible songs.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »

Ya, Paranoid Android and Airbag for me. :>

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »

Ya, Paranoid Android and Airbag for me. :>

Exit Music is a beautiful song though.. but it's counterpart (4th track) on Kid A (How to Disappear Completely) is doing the same 'thing', but much more intense and even more beautiful.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »

Exit Music is a beautiful song though.. but it's counterpart (4th track) on Kid A (How to Disappear Completely) is doing the same 'thing', but much more intense and even more beautiful.
Ya, i agree 100%.
I think my problem with OK Computer, is that it's trying hard to be "rocky", but fails at it.
The Bends is a great rock-album, but i'd say Kid A/Amnesiac are 2 way more interesting albums then OK Computer. =P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »
OK Computer is amazing from start to finish, fools.  :biggrin:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
The Bends and OK Computer are practically companion albums. I don't see how you can like one and not the other.