Author Topic: "It's your kids, Marty, we've gotta do something about your kids!"  (Read 16934 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: "It's your kids, Marty, we've gotta do something about your kids!"
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
Has anybody played the BTTF Telltale Games game? It was surprisingly good actually, I enjoyed it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
It doesn't make any sense why he wouldn't agree other than him being a douche nozzle.

He was.  When they started approaching each of the original cast members about making the sequels, according to the story, Glover asked for a ridiculous amount of money.  They tried to negotiate, but he was out of his mind (he's a pretty weird dude anyway) and I forget exactly how they worded it, but the figure he wanted was not consistent with his standing as an actor and his part in the movies, so they just got someone else.

First thing I thought of was how Marlon Brando got $3.7 million plus a percentage of Superman (the 1978 version) for being in the movie for ten minutes.  The movie was huge and he ended up taking like $14 million.  Ridiculous cash, but I guess when you're Marlon Brando, you can ask for that, and if they're willing to pay it, more power to you.  Except that Crispin Glover is no Marlon Brando.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:35 AM »
To be honest it was for the better anyway. Another actor would have had to run around with really bad makeup that is supposed to make them look old.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I think they were pretty good at pulling off the old make up in the BTTF movies. 1985 Doc. Brown, 1985 Loraine and 2015 Jennifer were the best, 2015 Biff was the only so-so.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking of old Biff when I made that comment. The others were alright.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
I'm always amused when actors overprice themselves out of movies.  Robert Duvall asking too much for Godfather III is another example, although not having the Tom character in III really hurt what was already a weaker script anyway.  And Glover was no Duvall either (just like he was no Brando). 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
I felt some loss without Glover in II & III, it would have definitely been better if at least 1885 Seamus McFly was played by him. Fox looked pretty silly in that, especially if Marty features are the product of Loraine and George mating, why would his McFly ancestors look like him and his mom who's not a McFly. Although I did like Lea Thompson as Maggie McFly.
Also Glover portrayl of George was erratic and cool, I enjoyed it a lot and I wonder how his goofiness would have been employed in BTTF II especially, I bet he would have played Marty's son in 2015 who characteristically behaves more like a young George than a young Marty.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
Getting off-topic, but yes, sometimes these agents can't really have their client's best interests in mind sometimes. The guy that played Clemenza wanted a greater say in his dialogue for Godfather II. They found an easier solution that that: A black armband, a passing comment, and voila! Clemenza is dead, and we get a much more dynamic and interesting character and subplot with Pantangelli. And after that, that actor went on to do.... what, exactly?

On topic, I have seen BTTF several times, BTTF3 twice, but have never seen BTTF2.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
On topic, I have seen BTTF several times, BTTF3 twice, but have never seen BTTF2.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK. WATCH IT NOW. :getoffmylawn:

Sorry, this movie is something I feel very strongly about. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
Why watch the third before the second? Twice even.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
To correct the paradox.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »
It doesn't make any sense why he wouldn't agree other than him being a douche nozzle.

He was.  When they started approaching each of the original cast members about making the sequels, according to the story, Glover asked for a ridiculous amount of money.  They tried to negotiate, but he was out of his mind (he's a pretty weird dude anyway) and I forget exactly how they worded it, but the figure he wanted was not consistent with his standing as an actor and his part in the movies, so they just got someone else.

First thing I thought of was how Marlon Brando got $3.7 million plus a percentage of Superman (the 1978 version) for being in the movie for ten minutes.  The movie was huge and he ended up taking like $14 million.  Ridiculous cash, but I guess when you're Marlon Brando, you can ask for that, and if they're willing to pay it, more power to you.  Except that Crispin Glover is no Marlon Brando.

Glover was on Radio 5 some time ago and he said that he should have been paid the same as MJ Fox in the 1st film because " George Mcfly was more important in that film than Marty was. Marty was a supporting character. "

:lol

It's a real shame when people turn out to be like that. So many disputes boil down to money.

Slight tangent but it's the reason U2 are still the 4 same guys 30 + years later is because they have always split everything 25% each.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
Correct opinions stated in this thread-

-BTTF2 is the WORST them.

FTFY.

There is no way on Earth that 2 is better than 1.

1 is the greatest movie ever made. I saw it in the cinema again for the 25th anniversary. It was like watching it again for the first time.

2 has the unnecessary future stuff which only exists to send Biff back to 1955 and then it's the 1st film again.

I much prefer 3 to 2 despite there not being a lot of Sci Fi in it.. I saw 3 in the cinema too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
When did BTTF2 come out ? 1991 ? 1992 ?

For arguments sake lets say it was 20 years ago and that would have made me about 14.

I remember people saying how confusing the film was and I understood it fine :p

I guess I must have been watching a lot of sci-fi. The UK started getting Star Trek TNG around that time too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »
When did BTTF2 come out ? 1991 ? 1992 ?

For arguments sake lets say it was 20 years ago and that would have made me about 14.

I remember people saying how confusing the film was and I understood it fine :p

I guess I must have been watching a lot of sci-fi. The UK started getting Star Trek TNG around that time too.

1 was 1985, 2 was 1989, 3 was 1990.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
Ok cool i would have been about 10 :P

And I still followed the plot.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

Glover was on Radio 5 some time ago and he said that he should have been paid the same as MJ Fox in the 1st film because " George Mcfly was more important in that film than Marty was. Marty was a supporting character. "

Well, it's true that George and Lorraine ending up together is what drives the bulk of the film, but the film is ultimately centered around the adventures of Marty and Doc and the time machine.  George/Lorraine was ultimately a plot device, albeit the main one, in their adventures, but Glover sounds pretty delusional.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
Maybe it's my age, and actually watching all 3 films in theaters on original release, but I can't fathom the possibility that anyone would prefer either of the sequels to the original.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
I agree that Part 2 has the best scene of the series with Doc explaining the alternate timelines.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
Maybe it's my age, and actually watching all 3 films in theaters on original release, but I can't fathom the possibility that anyone would prefer either of the sequels to the original.

I saw them in order as well. When the first one came out I was pretty obsessed with it for a long time.

I was proper excited when 2 and 3 came out.

25 years later - I went to see the Digitally Remastered cinema re-release and it was just perfect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »

Well, speaking as someone who saw the first two in the theater, and then the third as soon as it came out on VHS (as opposed to younger folks who probably saw all three in a short time span), the four-year gap between I and II means that many of us had seen I probably dozens of times before II came out, so we had possibly burned out on it, and getting not one, but two new BTTF's in a such time span made them seem that much more exciting, as they were new, and we finally had new Back to the Future movies to watch, instead of watching the original for the 84th, 85th, etc. time. :lol  As much as I have watched them all over the years, I have still seen I way more than the other two, so I am more likely to watch II and III if I randomly feel like watching any of them.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
I wish I knew about the remastered cinema re-release, I'd love to see any of the BTTF movies on the big screen.
The first movie is a classic, the second one is a masterful sequel that was incredibly enjoyable, I can't really pick one over the other. I think of the first two as one long movie and the third is more like a stand-alone sequel.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
I wish I knew about the remastered cinema re-release, I'd love to see any of the BTTF movies on the big screen.
The first movie is a classic, the second one is a masterful sequel that was incredibly enjoyable, I can't really pick one over the other. I think of the first two as one long movie and the third is more like a stand-alone sequel.

Splicing them together would be cool except for the sudden change of Jennifers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
Although it does the proper trilogy thing of actually a story arc over the 3 films instead of two more films tacked on the end for the sake of it.

Too many films these days just get two sequels for the sake of it just so they can call it a trilogy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
For me, there is a drastic drop-off from the first to the sequels.  It was obviously created to be a stand-alone film, and it works perfectly in that regard.  I just can't see the greatness of the first in the sequels.  For me, they practically don't exist.  I only acknowledge the original.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »

Splicing them together would be cool except for the sudden change of Jennifers.

I was thinking - apart from the very start of BTTF 1 - you don't see Jen again until the scene that starts part 2. If you cut out her scenes in part 1 then you could get away with it :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
But you'd also cut out major plot points.... And Roger Rabbit.... Oh wait, that was Part 2.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
Chris Lloyd was Judge Doom in Back To The Future :p

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
Chris Lloyd was Judge Doom in Back To The Future :p

REMEMBER ME MARTY

WHEN I KILLED YOUR FATHER

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
I USED. THE.SAME.GUN !!!!

True Story - I watched Part 2 again recently and it was the first time ever I realised Biff said

" Two McFly's with the same gun. "

I never understod the line before because of how Tom Wilson delivers it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
 ???

"I suppose it's poetic justice: two McFlys...with the same gun."

He is gonna kill Marty with the same gun he killed younger George with in the alternate reality. I always thought it was obvious that that is what he meant.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »
I meant I didn't understand the actual words that he was saying.

He kinda mumbles it.

Of course I know he killed George. But i'm just talking about the way that Tom Wilson delivers the line as Biff.

I never *heard* what he said til recently..

:)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
I don't think Biff is capable of mumbling.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Haha, right.  Almost everything Biff said was at high volume and clear as day (or so I thought).  He was basically your loud, obnoxious butthead. :p