Author Topic: Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)  (Read 11400 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
^ TL;DR

My tastes in Metal are extremely picky. I hate cookie monster vocals unless they're rhythmically and tonally interesting like Mastodon.

I'm not into : Screamo, Grindcore, Black Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore...etc etc...

I basically like Metallica, Mastodon, Dream Theater's heavy stuff, SOAD first two albums, *some* Devin Townsend Project....Errr...

:P Like I said - very picky indeed.

I definitely am not like my friend Graham - who will basically buy a CD if it has distorted guitars on it.
Cookie cutter vocals and Mastodon being used together makes no sense  ???

Well I meant harsh vocals in general.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
Screamo's a great genre too, depending on what band. Some have a raw fury, while bands like Gospel fuse it with prog and psychedelia, then there are bands like Circle Takes the Square and Envy who fuse it with post-rock. Interesting genre at times.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
I notice that I listen to *less* metal post-30, but havn't stopped altogether.    But I have noticed that unless someone is doing something noticeably different to the genre, and pushing the limits of what is considered "metal", then I'm not really interested.
That's pretty normal and understandable - you get tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

Personally, I think that anyone who's an active music lover in his teens will cease listening to anything but his old records or the radio or whatever, or cease listening to music actively altogether (since with growing responsibilities you end up having less time too) if they don't learn to appreciate the experimental sides of the music they're listening to.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
I notice that I listen to *less* metal post-30, but havn't stopped altogether.    But I have noticed that unless someone is doing something noticeably different to the genre, and pushing the limits of what is considered "metal", then I'm not really interested.
That's pretty normal and understandable - you get tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

Personally, I think that anyone who's an active music lover in his teens will cease listening to anything but his old records or the radio or whatever, or cease listening to music actively altogether (since with growing responsibilities you end up having less time too) if they don't learn to appreciate the experimental sides of the music they're listening to.

Exactly.   I started off being extremely narrow minded and only listening to one type of music.   Even considering myself diverse because I embraced all SUB-genres of a certain style.   But I realized that labeling anything only serves to limit yourself.    I'm entertained at the attempt to continue to try to label things and sub-label things and hang all these "tags" on certain bands.   I follow it, and I'm entertained by it, but I really don't take it very seriously.    Now I just listen to anything that is pushing limits, stretching boundaries....I especially love anything that only exists to piss off those who wish they could stick it in a box and call it [blank]-metal.    If no one has any idea what to call it...chances are I will like it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
if music is about expressing emotion, then metal provides the precise tools to express such emotions as "anger", "excitement", "angst", "power", "unity", etc.

This definitely.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
You know, this is kinda sad. I thought this forum as a whole was a bit more open-minded than some of what I'm reading here  :|

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
What in particular do you mean? Nothing really struck me as close-minded, to be honest.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »
What in particular do you mean? Nothing really struck me as close-minded, to be honest.

Metal has no boundaries, and is the most diverse music genre IMO.  It's a true expression of natural human emotion that other genres dare not explore.  It's real, aggressive, full of balls and the most rewarding.  It just seems true, raw and real, and IMO is the genre that is the least polished and fake.  Smart people like and understand metal.  And real men listen to metal, and if you don't, you are not my friend.

Maybe I just biased but I never understand when I see a dude pull up in their car with the window down blasting the latest girly pop crap at full volume.  I think to myself, you're a man, show some balls and listen to something real.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
I don't mean to completely discredit any of the points made in this thread, but I'd imagine that a particular attraction to heavy metal is no different from another genre, no matter what it is, speaking to an individual at a level that really resonates.

Metal has no boundaries, and is the most diverse music genre IMO.  It's a true expression of natural human emotion that other genres dare not explore.  It's real, aggressive, full of balls and the most rewarding.  It just seems true, raw and real, and IMO is the genre that is the least polished and fake.  Smart people like and understand metal.  And real men listen to metal, and if you don't, you are not my friend.

Maybe I just biased but I never understand when I see a dude pull up in their car with the window down blasting the latest girly pop crap at full volume.  I think to myself, you're a man, show some balls and listen to something real.

Amazing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:05:05 PM by Ravenheart »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »

To be fair, this was the only really close-minded thing I read (besides H's troll posts), but yeah, that was a pretty shitty post.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
Yeah, didn't catch that. Wtf Kade.

Also, I agree with Zander.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2013, 02:57:27 PM »

To be fair, this was the only really close-minded thing I read (besides H's troll posts), but yeah, that was a pretty shitty post.
they see me trollin
they hatin
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »

this post gave me cancer

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »

this post gave me cancer

It gave me cancer and aids.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »
Wow, that post was so bad it attracted almost all of the Harry and the Pears Band. And I thought opposites attract. :zook2:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
I didn't even notice that post till a while ago but...

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
Wow, that post was so bad it attracted almost all of the Harry and the Pears Band. And I thought opposites attract. :zook2:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »

That's metal as fuck.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

That's metal as fuck.

Brainstorm time.

Band name: Obliterated Cow
Which creates the 5.346x108th genre in metal: Animal Metal
Where you can do anything you want, but there are no lyrics. Only animal sounds allowed.

My work here is done.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
I thought that wolfking's post was pretty metal.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »
Well it was brutal that's for sure. ::)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
I'm not a metalhead, but sometimes I just need to rock the fuck out, you know?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

That's metal as fuck.

Brainstorm time.

Where you can do anything you want, but there are no lyrics. Only animal sounds allowed.

My work here is done.

Hatebeak beat you to it

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »
And Caninus

Offline philmcson

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
a lot of people stop listening to metal in their late twenties and thirties

:facepalm:
She's right you know. She didn't say literally everyone stops. :P I'm hoping I can retain my currently diverse taste as I age.
Yeah, a lot of people's tastes change over time as they grow. It's not likely that I'll ever start thinking "Man, metal is such childish music, why did I ever like it?", but it's not impossible that I might just gradually start losing my interest in heavier music at some point - you never know the future.

I'm actually getting more into metal the older I get...... also trying to explore some heavier subgenres as death and progressive death.  ;D

Offline philmcson

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »

That's metal as fuck.

Brainstorm time.

My work here is done.

Sample, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wye-XqnBgb8

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »

That's metal as fuck.

Brainstorm time.

My work here is done.

Sample, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wye-XqnBgb8
:rollin
Not as good as Krotchraut though.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »

I couldn't have said it better myself, perfect  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2013, 05:32:10 AM »
BOOGA BOOGA WEE WEE BOOGA BOOGA WEE WEE

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
Zook, sometimes you're so bloody brilliant. This is one of those times.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »
Van Canto is why I like Metal.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
Zook, sometimes you're so bloody brilliant. This is one of those times.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who took Wolfking's post seriously was successfully trolled.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
Yesterday I got reminded by Gojira why I like metal. Tightest live metal band on the planet?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .