Author Topic: Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)  (Read 11426 times)

Offline Ħ

Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
What is the appeal of metal to you? Do you prefer metal over other genres? If so, why?

I'll share my relationship to metal. Metal was my first genre, and I liked it because it was edgy and spat in the face of other genres. Not long after being introduced to it, I adopted an almost Aryan attitude about my musical tastes - metal made pop, rap, and even classic rock pathetic in comparison. It fed my ego, basically.

Now, though, I don't find myself liking metal very much. In fact, I think it's one of the most bloated, pretentious genres out there. Just my opinion, of course. There are good metal bands, songs, and albums, though.

So, being specific, what is it that you find enjoyable about metal?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:00:55 PM »
It's complex and agressive.  I tend to like all complex music, and there are just times I need hard driving, aggressive in your face music.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
It sounds cool.

That's really all it is for me. Energetic, distorted riffs mixed with kick ass drum beats, fast or mid tempo and a melodic singer wailing away is just really cool. Bonus points if I can hear the bass.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
It sounds cool.

That's really all it is for me.

This.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
For me it's the guitars. Fast, driving riffs, with some shredding guitar playing does it for me.

But Metal is a big umbrella term...

Offline adace

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I love the diversity and cool factor of it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
I grew up listening to what my Dad listened to, which was basically Dylan and other singer-songwriters, but later on I started getting into prog and other music on my own. I basically came to metal through prog. DT first, than Iron Maiden and the rest.

I never liked metal for any of the reasons you've cited. Ironically, melody is always what's attracted me to metal. Something about metal is just hyper-melodic and epic. That's probably why I'm mostly still drawn to progressive and symphonic metal.

Though I do not prefer metal to other genres at all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
Fun.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Metal has no boundaries, and is the most diverse music genre IMO.  It's a true expression of natural human emotion that other genres dare not explore.  It's real, aggressive, full of balls and the most rewarding.  It just seems true, raw and real, and IMO is the genre that is the least polished and fake.  Smart people like and understand metal.  And real men listen to metal, and if you don't, you are not my friend.

Maybe I just biased but I never understand when I see a dude pull up in their car with the window down blasting the latest girly pop crap at full volume.  I think to myself, you're a man, show some balls and listen to something real.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
Metal has no boundaries, and is the most diverse music genre IMO.  It's a true expression of natural human emotion that other genres dare not explore.  It's real, aggressive, full of balls and the most rewarding.  It just seems true, raw and real, and IMO is the genre that is the least polished and fake.  Smart people like and understand metal.  And real men listen to metal, and if you don't, you are not my friend.
Hm...what about blues? That seems just as raw and emotional. Or even lots of classic rock (Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, etc.) is very raw and emotional.

Maybe I just biased but I never understand when I see a dude pull up in their car with the window down blasting the latest girly pop crap at full volume.  I think to myself, you're a man, show some balls and listen to something real.
I get that.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
Yeah, that's odd to me. If anything, metal gives me an inflated sense of my own emotions. Like alcohol, it's good in small doses, but too much and you start confusing the effects of the substance with the real thing. Listen to "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez, and then the Judas Priest cover. I think that'll sum-up what I'm getting at.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
I never said every other genre is raw or emotional, as I'm a big blues fan, and classic rock and melodic rock.  I just find metal FOR ME, the most raw and emotional.

Yeah, that's odd to me. If anything, metal gives me an inflated sense of my own emotions. Like alcohol, it's good in small doses, but too much and you start confusing the effects of the substance with the real thing. Listen to "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez, and then the Judas Priest cover. I think that'll sum-up what I'm getting at.

Ummm.....I'm familiar with both versions and still have no idea what your point is. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
Both are good; only one pumps you up too, for no apparent reason.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 03:00:41 PM »
Metal doesn't always have to show anger or aggresion, everytime I listen to metal I don't get pumped up.  The craft of the music and musicianship is also why it's my favourite genre.  I can listen to the heaviest and thrashiest death metal and purely listen calmly appreciating the creativity and talent of the musicians.  I often listen to something really heavy while working on a project or something.  Metal can brings out all emotions, not just aggesion.  That's why metal gets such a bad wrap.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »
I dunno. It just sounds good to me. My love-hate ratio in terms of bands within the genre is at least 50% higher than any other genre of music.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
Metal is so diverse, I can listen from anything ranging from Doomy Black Metal to something like Baroness and much more and there's so many emotions that I can go through. Metal just makes me happy. And also what  Wolfie and The Doc said.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
Metal is so diverse, I can listen from anything ranging from Doomy Black Metal to something like Baroness and much more and there's so many emotions that I can go through. Metal just makes me happy. And also what  Wolfie and The Doc said.

Exactly.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
Yes, I really like metal because... I like it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline philmcson

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »
When I need a song to relax, I'll find one. In need of a song to steady myself up? Gonna find one, too!

Very diverse and powerful genre which has never let me down and has given me so much musical territory to explore and adore.

And most important issue: I've been listening to many chosen metal songs for almost 10 years now and they still haven't become boring. When I was listening to pop, I usually couldn't stand listening to most of the songs for longer than 10 days  :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
It sounds cool, it's aggressive, it's diverse, it's something different - all those and more for me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
I've just always liked how cool it sounded.  Classic rock was my first real music love, and I liked the sound of metal except for the vocals in most cases, which is why DT appealed to me so much.  I didn't really get into really aggressive stuff until a few years ago but sometimes you need something heavier and faster than "Home." 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
I do not believe metal is the most 'complex' genre or the genre that can send out the 'most emotions'. Anyone telling that to either themselves or to others is just completely lying. Yeah, I see that metal is generally 'faster' than a lot of other genres, but in terms of 'complexity' for example, it doesn't hold up to classical music of the 18th century or to bebop of the fifties. In terms of technicality, there's also other genres that are far more 'difficult' to play, just ask any classically trained musician, for example.

That said, I do not mean to bash metal as a whole, since I do like quite some metal, but I have never considered myself to be a 'metalhead', not even back when I had my hair halfway down my back. Because, here's the thing: the majority of metal is fucking BORING. Seriously, it's all the same! It's not more difficult to write a metal song than to write a catchy popsong. In fact, I'd say it's a whole lot easier. You just take a riff and add another and you're done. Now, that's probably oversimplifying it a lot, because metal, like every other genre, has it's qualities. It's aggressive, which is something that can either be good or a turn-off for the listener and it's usually fast; same thing applies.

But now here we go; there's also this insane amount of subgenres within metal, that makes it very difficult to pinpoint exactly where or what makes it good or not good. I could say here that metal is 'melodic', but then you could turn on your average death metal song and not find the slightest hint of any melody whatsoever. I could say metal is fast, but then you can turn on a song by any random doom metal band and my statement would be proven false.

So, metal isn't necessarily complex, nor is it technically more difficult to play than any random other genre, nor isn't it more difficult to write songs etc. etc. Again, saying it is is only an elitist approach and in my opinion shows a very limited notion of what else there is in terms of music. That said though, 'metal' as a whole can probably be regarded as the 'heaviest' type of music available, though there would be also fanatics of electronic music who would disagree (I'm looking at drum 'n bass, hardstyle etc. for example). I think the main thing that's going wrong with questions like this is that metal is too varied to give ONE clear-cut answer. I do like metal, honestly, but there's also a shitload of the stuff I don't ever want to listen to.

I think the main point of attraction in metal is the huge variety of different subgenres, but then again; don't we have this same trait in any other style of music?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
After having many friends who were metalheads, and from youtube, and from DTF (no offense), it looks like people who love metal seem to be more judgmental towards the musical tastes of others than lovers of different genres. Judgmentalism seems very closely associated to metal these days. Does anyone else see that, or am I just delusional? I understand that there are some other genres associated with being judgmental too, but those who love metal often seem full of spite, in my eyes.

In fact, my own judgmental personality seems to have run parallel with my love of metal, and both have waned simultaneously.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
am I just delusional?

Wait...this is a rhetorical question, right?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Are you crazy?

(^that was rhetorical)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »

I know that we don't always agree about specific songs/albums that we like, but I often find myself completely agreeing with your sentiments. This is one of those occasions.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
^ TL;DR

My tastes in Metal are extremely picky. I hate cookie monster vocals unless they're rhythmically and tonally interesting like Mastodon.

I'm not into : Screamo, Grindcore, Black Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore...etc etc...

I basically like Metallica, Mastodon, Dream Theater's heavy stuff, SOAD first two albums, *some* Devin Townsend Project....Errr...

:P Like I said - very picky indeed.

I definitely am not like my friend Graham - who will basically buy a CD if it has distorted guitars on it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
^ TL;DR

My tastes in Metal are extremely picky. I hate cookie monster vocals unless they're rhythmically and tonally interesting like Mastodon.

I'm not into : Screamo, Grindcore, Black Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore...etc etc...

I basically like Metallica, Mastodon, Dream Theater's heavy stuff, SOAD first two albums, *some* Devin Townsend Project....Errr...

:P Like I said - very picky indeed.

I definitely am not like my friend Graham - who will basically buy a CD if it has distorted guitars on it.
Cookie cutter vocals and Mastodon being used together makes no sense  ???

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

I agree with almost everything you said except for the end part.

I love some pop music too.  Don't get me wrong here, I hate pop radio and I don't understand people that can just put music on as background music.  Music needs to be felt and experienced.  I would never bash any genre of music because all of it has its merits (well, maybe except for country ;) ) But seriously, I have long been a Michael Jackson fan but then again, I think MJ is more rock than pop.  If you listen to his music, 80% of it is really aggressive.

As for why I like metal, like Wolfking said, there are now boundaries.  It can be heartfelt and melodic, it can be crushing and fast, it can be dark and fictional or all of it in one .

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
After having many friends who were metalheads, and from youtube, and from DTF (no offense), it looks like people who love metal seem to be more judgmental towards the musical tastes of others than lovers of different genres. Judgmentalism seems very closely associated to metal these days. Does anyone else see that, or am I just delusional? I understand that there are some other genres associated with being judgmental too, but those who love metal often seem full of spite, in my eyes.

In fact, my own judgmental personality seems to have run parallel with my love of metal, and both have waned simultaneously.

Now you're being judgmental of judgmental people. :P
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
Been thinking about this all day, and there really isn't an easy way to answer it.  The reason I like any type of music or particular song is that it appeals to me on some levels that I can articulate and some levels that I can't.  But it varies from band to band and song to song, so I can't just give a blanket answer.  Short answer:  Much of it just appeals to me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »

Now you're being judgmental of judgmental people. :P
I'm just stating what I see, that I see more metalheads than not acting in judgmental ways.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
Just an observation...

This thread seems to operate on the concept of "metal" as being a style of music that was born with Black Sabbath's debut album.   This is a POV I just don't understand.

To me, "metal" is a concept...an attitude.   Anything that furrows your brow and makes you raise your fist in the air.    There are so many classical pieces that are far more "metal" than half of what is called "metal" today.

If you want to see the true spirit of "metal"....it is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLwzuQuRsw
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ħ

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:44 AM »
Eh, well, that doesn't help our discussion. If "metal" is anything, then this thread really isn't about anything at all. So I'm asking about what people prefer about the genre of metal as it is traditionally understood.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:35 AM »
Eh, well, that doesn't help our discussion. If "metal" is anything, then this thread really isn't about anything at all. So I'm asking about what people prefer about the genre of metal as it is traditionally understood.

I never said metal was "anything"...quite the opposite in fact. It is something very specific.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude