Author Topic: The Roller Coaster Tycoon Thread  (Read 28148 times)

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: The Roller Coaster Tycoon Thread
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2013, 04:00:33 AM »
Yeah, it is in the Corkscrew Follies Pack. You start out with a $250,000 loan! :omg: I usually try to pay off the entire loan by the end of year 1, but not possible in that park.

I recently got both expansion packs off Amazon used & new for about $5. I'm sure you can probably get the original on there as well if you can't find your copy.

I both love you and hate you for that suggestion.  Because now I'll be able to play that game again like I want to...but it also means I'm probably about to throw like seven thousand hours of my life away doing it!  :lol

A quarter of a million dollar loan?  DAYAM.  :omg:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 12:32:33 AM »
:bump:

This made me :lol

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:44 AM »
haha yes! ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:27 AM »
OMG I JUST FOUND THIS THREAD. I FREAKING LOVE THIS FORUM. about to read the whole thing.  :hefdaddy

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 01:17:09 AM »
It is a relatively new thread actually. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2013, 01:32:36 AM »
Yes I should read the General section a little more often I guess..

Okay, so I didn't read the last two pages word by word, but I'm pretty much caught up.

First off- :omg: people don't like RCT3?? ?? idk why, but I had absolutely no clue there was anyone who like the 2nd more than the 3rd! RCT3 is pretty much my favorite video game!! You can do sooo much more stuff in 3!!

Anyway, I REALLY wish I had more time to play this game, but I haven't in like a year. I used to make the most AWESOME parks with unlimited money in #3 with both expansion packs, and I'd make HUGE random islands and tons of mountains and buildings and made coasters intertwine and do really cool things around the paths and go waaaayy underground really really fast. And my death parks were the best  ;)

OH and yes I've also named coasters after DT songs  ;D

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »

Well my hopes and dreams are shattered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomc1P7HaX8

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Sighs. The days of intelligent simulation games are long gone.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
They couldn't just let it die? I mean fuck, even the community seems to have gotten over RCT3 and just stuck to the original and its sequel.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Grizz

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »
Glad I found this thread. RollerCoaster (that's one word) Tycoon (or raccoon as my sister called it when she was a baby) is the shit. That's one of the games we got years ago, the Gold edition. (Why include the Corkscrew Follies disk AND Loopy Landscapes?) For years we couldn't get the expansion packs to work with XP. Years later, after a reformat or two, I got them to work with compatibility mode, but not with the Drexler patch. So, I grabbed Virtual PC and Windows 98 SE and played to my heart's content. I wish the trainers were more stable though.

In the  elementary school gifted program, we had outdated games, among them RCT. I remember playing with friends during recess. Everyone else went for the eMac computers with GarageBand- fuk dat, I'm committing genocide with overpowered shuttle loops.

I got the second a couple years back. I like the added focus on scenery, support for custom content, and fix of the thick paths glitch.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
Roller Coaster Tycoon World!!  :metal

No micro transactions, and multiple people will be able to work on/manage the same park.

Also, Chris Sawyer did a great job of documenting a lot of RCT's development.

https://www.nicscorner.com/evo_of_rct.htm

Also:

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
Wait... what was the problem with RCT3? I enjoyed it...
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Any fans of Railroad Tycoon?  I spent countless hours playing the original one.

Loved that game as well.

Like others here have said, RCT 1 and 2 were fantastic, and 3 was abysmal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Grizz

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
Apparently, except for porting to Windows, the original game was written in x86 machine code.
That's pretty impressive right there
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2014, 04:41:48 AM »
Apparently, except for porting to Windows, the original game was written in x86 machine code.
That's pretty impressive right there

That's insanely impressive.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »
RC2 is legendary.  Even today, it would put up a fight to the biggest simulation/strategy games out there.

I don't understand why they keep changing the later versions; just stick to the original formula; if it ain't broke....

RC3 was the 2nd biggest gaming disappointment of my life (after Diablo 3)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
I still haven't gotten an answer about why no one likes RCT3. I enjoyed it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
They changed it to 3D. That completely killed it for me. RCT 1&2 are sill like my all time favourite computer games. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
On a sorta related note, what do you guys think of these new coasters for Six Flags parks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsieK16arUs
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
I still haven't gotten an answer about why no one likes RCT3. I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it but it just didn't live up to it's predecessors IMO. The game took on a whole different feel by going to 3d, it also felt really clunky to me. Maybe I should give it another spin sometime but I remember just not being excited about it whereas I still do get excited by RCT1 & 2.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2014, 06:57:36 AM »
The entire feel was sluggish and wasn't as easy to get around the controls to create and manage. Visually it may have been an improvement, but not nearly to the level needed to overcome the downside.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »
Does Roller Coaster Tycoon run on Windows 8? A bunch of older games have trouble on the new system? 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »
I purchased RCT2 a while ago (played the first one religiously as a kid) and was having a decent time playing it. I was playing it last week, and while it was good, I felt like it wasn't as good as I remembered the first one being. I couldn't quite figure out why even though it was basically the same exact game just with new levels and rides. Idk, maybe I'm just a little crazy. Anyway, fast forward to last Friday, I got on Steam and bought RCT Deluxe for $6. What a steal. I started playing the original yesterday and fell back in love. I don't know what it is, but I can't help but feel like it's superior to RCT2 and a million times better than RCT3.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
I just have the normal old RCT, so I'm thinking that I might be making that $6 purchase and revisiting this. :D

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:27 AM »
I just have the normal old RCT, so I'm thinking that I might be making that $6 purchase and revisiting this. :D

$6 is a steal for the deluxe.

"RollerCoaster Tycoon has received two expansion packs: Added Attractions (released in the US as Corkscrew Follies) in 1999, and Loopy Landscapes in 2000. Two special editions were released: RollerCoaster Tycoon Gold/Totally RollerCoaster in 2002, which contained the original game, Added Attractions/Corkscrew Follies, and Loopy Landscapes; and RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe in 2003, which contained the content in Gold plus more designs for the different customizable rides."

- Wikipedia

I also remembered a cool trick I used to do while playing last night. On large parks, I make underground pathways off limits to the guests. They give my mechanics direct/faster access to various areas on the map.

Also...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:38:01 AM by Chino »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »
Nice micro park dude! :metal It's been quite a while since I've played. Maybe I'll make another run through the scenarios soon.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
That's not mine  :rollin :rollin

I'm convinced it isn't real. He's got way too much money for year 2, and there's some funky stuff going on in the right corner.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
First in-game screen released.

I'm still looking forward to this game despite the toonish graphics.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:54:11 PM by Chino »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
That's not mine  :rollin :rollin

I'm convinced it isn't real. He's got way too much money for year 2, and there's some funky stuff going on in the right corner.

Whoops!  :lol

It's definitely a real screenshot. The money is a bit questionable for year two, but I wouldn't put it past some of the best player. You're right about the right corner. The steel wild mouse looks to be clipping through the bathroom. That tells me they probably used a 10ft shops mod.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »
Does Roller Coaster Tycoon run on Windows 8? A bunch of older games have trouble on the new system?
I had trouble running RCT on XP. The expansions, specifically, did not work on many installs (this was back in like '02 though). Drexler patched games (allows one to load an invalid save) don't work on any NT based Windows either. What I like to do for RCT is install a Virtiual Machine with Windows 98 and play it there. Works perfectly.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:27 PM »
I had trouble running RCT on XP. The expansions, specifically, did not work on many installs (this was back in like '02 though). Drexler patched games (allows one to load an invalid save) don't work on any NT based Windows either. What I like to do for RCT is install a Virtiual Machine with Windows 98 and play it there. Works perfectly.
I took a risk and bought it off Steam.  It works fine on my laptop.  And I'm not as good as I once was.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2014, 04:08:56 AM »
I took a risk and bought it off Steam.  It works fine on my laptop.  And I'm not as good as I once was.

Nice. I wish I saw this last night. From what I've read, Windows 8 won't run the game if it's off the original disk (I think I had that problem with 7), but will run it just fine if it is digital download.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
After what happened to SimCity and The Sims, I'm not holding my breath for RCT4. I want it to be good, but it's probably more likely it'll just be a bloated mobile game.

Edit: After reading this, it seems like that might be the case. Don't know for sure until it comes out, but I've had too many disappointments in the past decade to be optimistic.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2014, 01:57:57 AM »
I love this game. <3 And I also love watching YouTube videos of people building their own parks.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
The thing I don't understand... It's clear that the majority of the people that want this game are those who played it when it first came out. Those were amazing games. Atari could leave the game's mechanics and controls exactly the same, update some audio, and put some Sims 4 level graphics in there, and nobody would bitch at all. I don't want a fancy new high-tech game. I want the old game in new flavors.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:36:25 AM by Chino »