Author Topic: The Roller Coaster Tycoon Thread  (Read 28138 times)

Offline theliloutkast

Re: The Roller Coaster Tycoon Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
Ever since seeing this thread I've spent my free time playing the original. Ha.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
I need to make some time play again now that I'm back home.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I bought Corkscrew Follies and Loopy Landscapes. Not sure why I never bought them before, but now I have a lot of great new park building to do.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »
Love it... as soon as I hit my objective in the "Build Your Own Six Flags" park... I starting killing people... to the horror of my 10 year old cousin who had just sat down to see what I was doing on the game

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
my god, so many sleepless nights because of RC2... RC3 use to be the biggest gaming disappointment for me for until Diablo 3 took that spot easily.

Bah, gonna buy it.  *shakes fist at OP for re-starting my old addictions*  :censored

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »
I remember when I was in like 4th grade waking up extra early before my dad and getting dressed and ready for school just so I could play RT1
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »
I remember a really old version where you could charge a tiny fee then once the crowds gathered - whack it up to extortionate price and they'd have no choice but to pay xD

Offline Cable

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
What was that bad about RC3? Granted, I played it very little compared to RC1. But I don't recall playing that much less than RC2. Was the move to more immersive 3d that half-baked? I cannot really remember disliking it, just priorities changed in my life at that point.
---

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
My friend and I sometimes race to finish scenarios without a time limit. Like Arid Heights or Razor Rocks (where you have to build 10 roller coasters with an excitement rating of >=6). We be in a G+ hangout and share screens and stuff. It's fun. I wish there were a way to do that kind of thing here.  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
My friend and I sometimes race to finish scenarios without a time limit. Like Arid Heights or Razor Rocks (where you have to build 10 roller coasters with an excitement rating of >=6). We be in a G+ hangout and share screens and stuff. It's fun. I wish there were a way to do that kind of thing here.  :lol
You can live stream video games via https://www.twitch.tv/ - might be useful!

I am shit at RCT, though. So I probably won't.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 02:16:27 PM »
Speaking of being shit at RCT, my brother downloaded it the other day, it inspired me to get my copy out, and I'm carrying on from where I left off a couple of summers ago. Completed, in the last couple of days, Evergreen Gardens (finally!) and Katie's Dreamland.

I'm not liking the four year deadlines. Too long! I'm in my second May of Pacific Pyramids (or Sexy Pyramid Land, as I've renamed it) and I'm already not a million miles away from the objective. I know there's an element of endurance, it's not just, "Can you make a successful park," but, "How long can you run this successful park for?" Nonetheless - I'm not even halfway! That's scary. The four year deadline is the reason I didn't bother with Evergreen Gardens until so late. I'm only enjoying Pacific Pyramids because it's brand new to me.

Because, yes, I think this is as far as I've ever got! I was basically a child when I was first playing it - and it was all, "Ooh, fun, get the maximum loan and make some nice big roller coasters." Now I'm paying that loan off immediately, and priority one is fleecing the bastards for every penny they've got. Making some nice roller coasters is still in there, but not top drawer.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
Ooh excellent! And I agree. 4 years is far too long. On the simple scenarios I find myself meeting the requirements sometimes a year or more in advance. Then I end up having to just wait for time to run out.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »
Evergreen Gardens was my favorite scenario... By far.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
Evergreen Gardens was my favorite scenario... By far.

I HATED THAT ONE.

I like starting my parks over from scratch because I guess I can't stand not having total control over them.  Some parks, all you gotta do is trash some rides and delete a few footpaths.  But EVERGREEN FUCKING GARDENS had so much ridiculous landscaping bullshit that I'd have to spend what seemed like hours deleting every stupid little shrub and every pointless little fence.

I liked Dinky Park.  It had a unique challenge.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
But you had so much time to do that. I would just delete intersections of paths to limit pedestrian traffic. I'd build a bit of the park at a time and then slowly expand. I liked it mainly because you could get sooo much cash at the beginning if you were willing to take the time to do a mass delete. The saddest part about me starting Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 was that I didn't get EGG

Offline robwebster

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
I'm with you, Phantas. Dinky Park is brilliant. Or Pokey Park, as it's called here. Evergreen's a little big-'n'-boring. I ended up mucking about. A lot.

To wit:

Current park. Sexy Pyramid Land.

Sorry for the number of screenshots. But, look - number of guests, park rating. I need 1,000 and 600. Absolutely fine. On course for Oct Y3. And then... another year! Argh! I'll just think of it as a victory lap.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »
"Peeping Tom's Voyeurism Wheel"  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:30 PM »
 :lol

It's always a pleasure to see people's parks. I might take a closer look when I'm not in class.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
"Peeping Tom's Voyeurism Wheel"  :lol
Didn't even see that. Fucking lol.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
Wow, good find. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
I love your liberal use of paths and especially those little walls with paths on top. It gives your park a bit of depth.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »
What can I say! I'm passionate about roller coasters, and passionate about providing access to roller coasters.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »

Doesn't that cause anger among your guests? They are taking a path to nowhere .

Offline robwebster

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 01:50:12 PM »
Naw, they love that shit. Each customer will spend a good thirty minutes wandering around the park staring blankly at neon signs and not going on roller coasters - five more seconds is no skin off their back. I like keeping the queues short - longer a punter's queueing, the longer they're spending not buying anything else. Long enough that there's always likely to be a full load waiting, but no longer.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »
Rob does have a point. One small thing to keep in mind: while guests complain if they are waiting in a line for too long, they won't complain if they can't join a queue because it's full.   ;)

I might post my Evergreen Gardens.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
My theory always was the longer the que lines (not jokingly long of course) the more people you'll have in your park by mission end.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
That is true as well. It all depends on how you are playing your park.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
My theory always was the longer the que lines (not jokingly long of course) the more people you'll have in your park by mission end.
That does make some sense! I was at 150% of my objective at the time, though, so it wasn't a main concern, at that point. Four-year deadline... profit's the key, people will come.

Implode - Yes, post your Evergreen Gardens! Everyone post their Evergreen Gardens. I love seeing how different the parks grow.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
I would LOVE to, but I only have the second one :( I can't find my first disc

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
Here's my park from about a month ago, just after meeting the goals.

First thing that really stands out is how much more spread out my park is. Also I didn't really do much to change the scenery; I guess I really just wanted to focus on the scenario alone. At least all the roller coasters are custome designs. All those years of spending hours trying to create realistic parks have created habits that are hard to break.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »
Groovy.  :coolio

Offline robwebster

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »
Sweeeeeet zombie Jesus... the roller coaster in that first one is absolutely beautiful!! I really like the squiggly one at the bottom, too.

Evergreen Gardens' size has always bothered me. Great as a sandbox, but it means all the guests are very spread out, so I deliberately cut off access wherever possible, try to make it as compact as possible. I did to an extent with Sexy Pyramid Land, but EG is that to the maximum. Functional, but I think your park looks a lot slicker for spreading it out. Yours is classy, mine's a bit more... cacophonous. Much better use of the space (ETA: me, not you). So cool.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:31:18 PM by robwebster »

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
Has anybody ever reduced the loan in this one to $0 in just three years? Seems impossible to me, especially with the rides you are given. Sorry I didn't show the whole park.

avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
Wow, I don't remember that park at all.  Is that in one of the expansions?

I was usually pretty good at getting rid of my loans by maxing them out.  Because around the time I reached the upper limit of the loan my park would start to turn huge profits.  $85,000 is pretty steep, though.  Damn. :o

This thread has desperately made me want to play the original RCT again.  But after ransacking my bookcase I discovered that I have Loopy Landscapes and Corkscrew Follies...but not the actual RCT disc.  Can't install any of them without the first disc.  :(

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
Yeah, it is in the Corkscrew Follies Pack. You start out with a $250,000 loan! :omg: I usually try to pay off the entire loan by the end of year 1, but not possible in that park.

I recently got both expansion packs off Amazon used & new for about $5. I'm sure you can probably get the original on there as well if you can't find your copy.
avenuex.bandcamp.com