Author Topic: The Roller Coaster Tycoon Thread  (Read 28146 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Roller Coaster Tycoon Thread
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »
Myself and two buddies are looking to have an RCT night. We are thinking about how we could go about doing it. We'd like to all play the same park, but not necessarily have to follow the provided scenario. We were thinking of making a rubric with different weights for various things; guests in park, number of roller coasters, park value, etc... What would you guy want to see on a scoring rubric for say Evergreen Gardens over a span of 6 or 7 years?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
On Evergreen Gardens? Lose points every time a guest gets lost. No cheating
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »
When my friend and I would play RCT together, we'd pick a scenario that didn't have a time limit and just race to beat the goal. The goals could be certain number of guests, finish 5 coasters, build 10 coasters, etc.

As for a rubric, a very difficult part would be the park value. It diminishes over time and is directly affected by how much you put into it. Although it begs the question, is this competition just about the raw data and values of the game? For me, building a part is hugely a creative process that is mostly graded on its aesthetic and sometimes subjective criteria.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2014, 10:40:25 PM »
Dafuq???? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2014, 12:29:55 AM »
I think there's a cheat where you can make the explosions push people away farther.

Otherwise all that's happening is that he opened a go-karts ride with no track other than the station pointed directly at a busy path so that the cars fly off the track onto the path. Pretty great idea, and it works especially well with launched coasters!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
So yesterday, being impatient for RCTW, I bought RCT3. I played it once years ago for about 2 minutes before concluding it was shit. I played through the entire first scenario and have to admit that it was pretty awesome. Being able to ride the rides was fun, and the introduction of animals was awesome.

Offline Liampie

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2015, 07:31:43 AM »
Did I ever post my Metropolis? A pair of coasters called the Miracle and the Sleeper.

And some more shitty RCT:

The space shot is called Explosive Diarrhea, the tower slide is a tutorial on how to wipe without paper. Not very well visible, but under the water slide's lift there's a model of a record breaking turd, named Judas by my grandpa. The balloons are not filled with air. Download here: https://www.nedesigns.com/park/3192/mm2014-r2-the-inspiration-well/

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:13 AM »
I still can't believe you post here. That stuff's amazing, dude!  :hefdaddy

And I'm laughing at explosive diarrhea.

Offline Liampie

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »
You make it sounds like I'm a celebrity.  :lol Are you anyone in the RCT community? NE, Reddit, some former community? Or just a lurker?

edit: Oh, and thanks. :) Here's some more:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
I just regard people on NE as the best at RCT. I thought you were a big name there, too! I have an account on NE, but I've only lurked there. I don't have the time/skill to create any masterpieces.

I'm also just surprised at how many random circles I'm in end up having connections to here.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
Been binging on this game this week.  I don't see how people come up with those crazy designs for stuff.  I'm sorta minimalist - why build extravagantly when you can be minimalist and beat the scenario anyway?  My version of extravagance is 5-10 flower beds around a food court.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Liampie

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
I just regard people on NE as the best at RCT. I thought you were a big name there, too! I have an account on NE, but I've only lurked there. I don't have the time/skill to create any masterpieces.

I'm also just surprised at how many random circles I'm in end up having connections to here.

Yeah, the internet is a small place. NE has gotten a bit smaller too, understandably. The more reason for you to post a screen when you've made something. Any creative content is welcome! RCT is getting really old now, us fans need to stick together!

Been binging on this game this week.  I don't see how people come up with those crazy designs for stuff.  I'm sorta minimalist - why build extravagantly when you can be minimalist and beat the scenario anyway?  My version of extravagance is 5-10 flower beds around a food court.
That's the difference between people who play RCT as a game, and people who use RCT as a creative outlet. The majority of the people belong to the first group, people who just want to beat the scenarios and fuck around a little. People in the second group ignore the game aspects, and simply want to create realistic places, beautiful worlds, stories, abstract art, or whatever. When you see peeps in the latter type of parks, they're usually just there for the atmosphere. It's hard to compare the two types of parkmaking or even bridge the gap between them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:00:02 PM by Liampie »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2015, 06:09:14 AM »

That's the difference between people who play RCT as a game, and people who use RCT as a creative outlet.
The majority of the people belong to the first group, people who just want to beat the scenarios and fuck around a little.

I just realized this over the weekend while playing RCT3. I discovered sandbox mode. I put a good 12 hours into my park so far and it's only about 60% done. The sandbox mode was worth the price of the game alone.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:09 AM »
I'm not sure it's even possible to do this, but this was still so awesome I have to share it:

:rollin
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
Maybe it's plausible in 3?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
Hahaha. I get so angry at that post. It was never possible in any RCT game. There is no such thing as other competing parks.

A friend of mine mentioned one time that he distinctly remembered playing a scenario like that, so maybe it was just a completely different game.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
Hahaha. I get so angry at that post. It was never possible in any RCT game. There is no such thing as other competing parks.

A friend of mine mentioned one time that he distinctly remembered playing a scenario like that, so maybe it was just a completely different game.

There's a scenario like that in the original game.  It's basically two parks that are across the street from each other and your goal is to keep yours more popular.  The parks are so close to each other that you probably could catapult doomed guests across.  I'd be surprised if what that guy did actually worked, but it's plausible enough for me to find it hilarious.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »
No. No there isn't. I promise you there isn't a scenario like that.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
No. No there isn't. I promise you there isn't a scenario like that.
I remember playing something like that, but it definitely wasn't RCT. It's probably in one of the knockoffs.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2015, 02:33:31 AM »
I really want to play this game now. Where can I find a copy of RCT2?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2015, 03:29:54 AM »
I really want to play this game now. Where can I find a copy of RCT2?
Over here. :)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2015, 01:02:06 AM »
I just saw the new trailer for the upcoming new RCT game. Wow, it...does not look very modern. At all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgAhPffWsM

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2015, 05:27:37 AM »
#HeartBroken

Talk about a let down. That trailer opens beautifully. The sun glare looked good, you could see the highway way off in the distance, and the graphics looked amazing.... then the real trailer started.

I don't get it.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »
Why was that bad?  Looks like what I'd expect from RCT (I haven't played past the original in case that matters)
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »
Why was that bad?  Looks like what I'd expect from RCT (I haven't played past the original in case that matters)
It's the fact that it look almost like the same graphics engine as the last one, which was released back in 2005, ten years ago. You'd expect it to look a lot better than that.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
Gotcha, I can understand that.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2015, 07:49:23 AM »
How would you feel if Rockstar unveiled the next GTA game and it had San Andreas graphics?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »
How would you feel if Rockstar unveiled the next GTA game and it had San Andreas graphics?

Pretty much this.

At this point I don't think the charm of the first two will ever be met.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »

Pretty much this.

At this point I don't think the charm of the first two will ever be met.

I don't get what is so hard to get about this. The majority of the people buying this game are going to be fans of the older versions, the people who built the franchise. Atari could straight up remake the first game with Sim City graphics, and I'd gladly shell out $40+ for it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
That would be perfect.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
I ranted about this on Twitter. It has 3 whole different types of coasters! It's a fucking joke. And I bet that the steel type is just an A&D track that hasn't been the standard for decades now.

Honestly, after what happened with SimCity, I'm not surprised. At least there we have Skylines coming out. It looks amazing. Paradox needs to make a theme park game next.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
All that trailer did was make me want to go to Magic Mountain.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
I am actually thinking of picking up skylines, it looks that good.

Reading up on this on reddit someone made a good point that the game looks like it'll be an easy port to tablets.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:21 PM »
Fuck that. I want something that looks beautiful on PC. The mobile universe already has RCT4 and it's a piece of shit.