Author Topic: Shadow Gallery Thread - v. Digital Ghosts  (Read 24475 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Shadow Gallery Thread - v. Digital Ghosts
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2009, 11:55:02 PM »
wow, I like the first song I am hearing

Offline andrewt67

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2009, 03:13:57 AM »
Shadow Gallery are a quality band

I have Tyranny and Room V

Both excellent albums

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2009, 03:18:11 AM »
Re-listening Legacy and Room V. Pure awesomeness.

Offline aredore

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
Hi all,

some of you may recognize my name from MP's Forum, I'm actually the person that did the interviews with Gary and Brian both. Glad everyone enjoyed them for the most part. I know there were probably other questions and/or topics I could have gone into but that's me, I always do things differently :)

I can tell you this though, the new album is definitely amazing and any SG fan should be very happy. I can't imagine any SG fan not enjoying this album from start to finish. Personally I am blown away by it and there is a lot musically to digest. I've probably listened to it 20 times by now from start to finish. I can't stop playing it. Brian, in my opinion, is the perfect fit for taking the vocals on moving forward. He has great power and the Tate factor and it just "fits" is the only way I can put it.

I know we all loved Mike and his vocals will live on forever but look at it this way. It's a new chapter for SG and I just ask that everyone go into this album with an open mind and I can promise you that you will not be disappointed!!!

After the album is out for a little bit, I might do another interview with Brian and/or Gary. At that point I'll definitely post here and other places to get fans questions to ask.

:metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »
Thanks for doing the interviews, I'm looking forward to the record and hopefully digesting and liking this new vocalist once I've heard the full album. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
I doubt anyone can listen to this with an open mind. It's like saying to a Queen fan to listen to Freddy's replacement with an open mind. Both FM and Mike had unique voices, maybe not the greatest ranges but they were unique and had character and emotion few are able to pass on with their voice. I like the new stuff I've heard, but as I've said before the melodies and layered vocals scream SG but the unique voice is gone. Brian sounds great, but at times he reminds me of Tate when he sings in mid-range. The music seems like it could be the best SG album yet.
In a few weeks/months I may be able to give it an "open ear" but it's just too soon for me.

Offline aredore

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »
https://www.shadowgallery.com

Looks really good!!!  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
Sweet, new better websites seem to be popping up since InsideOut went over to Century Media.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2009, 02:49:29 PM »
Yeah, they've got a new forum too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »
I'M ON THE GUEST LIST FOR THEIR CD RELEASE PARTY!!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »
I hate you so much.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:24 AM »
I HAVE ORDERED IT!  :metal

https://cdon.se/musik/shadow_gallery/digital_ghosts_(limited_edition_digipak)-7264038

I'M ON THE GUEST LIST FOR THEIR CD RELEASE PARTY!!!
Thats very cool!  :metal You party with the band or what?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
Pretty much! :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
Ask about Chris and if he is still in the band, no one talks about this now. I'll be buying probably next month, out of cash for now. Just pre-ordered Torchlight:D

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 02:02:50 AM »
is it just me or does the new singer sound like geoff tate...I really thought maybe they had him fill in till I went to their site...in any case, they have quite the knack for picking vocalists

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
I just saw the new album lying in stores here. Didn't buy it though, want to listen to a few samples and stuff first.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
Sometimes he does sound like Tate but his voice is more varied than Tate's. He has some highs, he has mids and lows but he can do more "voices" than Tate. Also, he's not a singer mainly. He's a guitar player :D

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2009, 02:16:31 PM »
CD is growing on me...has made top ten of year.
Redemption and Scar Symmetry are better discs..but this one is good.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:25 AM »
Exactly 1 year since we lost Mike. RIP.
https://www.shadowgallery.com/

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
RIP  :'(

I just listened to the album. First impressions: Awesome, just like their previous records. Like someone said earlier; Ashland really sounds like Tate but in a good way, they found a worthy succesor in Brian. Digital Ghost and Haunted are my favourites at this first listen but it may change later on. The two demo tracks with Baker felt a little bit sad to listen to, but they were very good. The a capella version of Digital Ghosts (the track) was a sweet adition.

10/10, carry on SG.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »
RIP Mike. :(

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »
New Shadow Gallery album is out WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm listening to it right now!!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
Indeed. It's an incredibly amazing album.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
So, the Shadow Gallery party is tonight. :D

I'll be leaving in an hour because I have a lot of stops to make and things to do before I actually get there. I'll be sure to let you all know what it was like when I get back, hopefully with pictures. :D

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
Please try to sneak in a few questions about Chris :D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
Okay, so tonight was fucking amazing. Such a cool night.

We get there, go in, and we each get Digital Ghost name tags, and then are able to proceed to an awesome barroom with a connected dining room. Very beautiful place, and there was free h'orderves (or however that is spelled) and an open bar courtesy of the band. The fans were able to chill for about an hour, mingle, eat, and then an announcement brought everyone into the bar room where they had a projector set up.

Then we got to watch a rough cut of the video the guys shot for Gold Dust. Looks like it could be really cool, and a lot of it was shot as if the guys were playing a live show, and I joked that now we kind of know what it would be like to see the guys actually play live, but that joke was nullified a little bit later...

So after the video the guys came out and they all talked about their personal contribution to the album, or about the lyrics, or how Brian came to be in the band, and of course about the death of Mike, which included a very touching video tribute that they played. One of the more interesting things to note during this was the hinting that the guys might actually play live at some point. I would come to find out later talking to them that ROSfest is a distinct possibility in the future, and you can bet I'd be there for that.

So then people went about getting food and drinks again for a short while, and then they brought out three 24x36 posters with an exclusive design to be auctioned off. I bid up to $35 on each but ended up getting beat on all of them.

Then the guys came back to a table for a signing session and to talk to everyone. Each one took the time to get to know me and Amanda a little bit and they really came across as super nice guys, and they were signing pretty much everything anyone put in front of them. Out of all of them I spent the most time with Gary, and he was shocked at all the booklets I had for him (from many side-projects and what have you) and he was thrilled that I had so many and loved signing them, and one of the best pieces of memorabilia I know have is my Universal Migrator booklet that now says, "Nick, I owe you some money!"

After they had gone through everyone getting things signed they took pictures with people. This is now 4.5 hours after this shindig all started.

So now, here is my picture with Shadow Gallery, a picture of all of them up front speaking, and then an awesome picture of a present the rest of the guys gave to Brian during their speeches.

I walked out of there with a Tyranny t-shirt, Room V t-shirt, Digital Ghosts 11x17 poster, Room V magnet, and bumper sticker.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:09:41 PM by Nick »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2009, 07:08:44 AM »
That last T-shirt is awesome!  Sounds like an amazing night.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
Damn you and your proximity to the band you lucky bastard  :censored .  Thanks for sharing though, I'm glad to know that A) those guys seemed like really cool, approachable, down to earth guys who truely love what they do B) SG were able to see how much love there is for their work.

It sounds like if I was there I would have had a much lighter wallet when it was all said and done.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2009, 03:23:29 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but it's been 8 days and I want to talk about this album now that it's been out.

I don't know how much of it is because I haven't been this anxious for a non-Dream Theater CD to arrive or what, but I've been listening to this CD much more than the Redemption back catalog that came in the same shipment.  I generally have a very hard time accepting new singers, but I think I'm digging Ashland.  He's not Mike Baker, but he sounds like a Shadow Gallery singer to me.  Another big part of that is that everyone else seems to on top of their game, and it definately is the best SG album from a production stand point - the sound is crisp and clean.  The song writing is on par with most of their catalog, and like I said before, musically they brought their A game to the writing table.

I'm very pleased with this effort, and hope they decide to continue on.  I hope I just don't have to wait another 4 years for an album!

ezco506pir

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
Shadow Gallery, one of the best bands in the prog rock genre, has just released their new album Digital Ghosts!  I just recently purchased the CD and its phenomenal.  I recommend it to everyone! :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »
I never thought I would say this, but this might be album of the year for me.  Yes, even over my former contender Redemption's Snowfall on Judgement Day and Devin Townsend Project's two albums.  The audio clips that were posted pre-release don't do it any justice, I was actually luke-warm to the samples and was worried about the album, but I was way off.  It's seriously that good.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »
...and I am really loving the vocals

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
I'm loving the depth of the vocals.  This backing vocals are really good, and it adds another layer of complexity to the arrangements

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
I have two big problems with this album.

First, whatsisbucket is not Mike Baker.  Something about the phrasing and the...texture, maybe...of a lot of his vocals just made him sound like he was doing his best impression of Mike.  It was kind of annoying.

Second, I think this has been overhyped on DTF, so I went into it expecting to be blown away.  It was good, sure, and it will probably get better with more listens, but...not as eargasmic as I was led to believe.  Not even close.

:(

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
I looked up over-hyped in the dictionary, and all I saw was a CD covers for "The Incident" and "Crack the Skye".

Mike wasn't going to be replaced, but what I liked was rather than pushing Brian out and making his voice upfront, they supplemented it with lots of backing vocals, moreso than on most non-ensemble projects.  You can't blame him for trying to sound like Mike either...when Dickenson left Maiden, they replaced him with a capable, but entirely different style of singer and for the most part it didn't work.  In a strange sort of way, I think Mike's absence led SG to have more backing vocals, which really adds a lot, and I don't think they would have done that if Mike was still around.

As for hype, it wasn't hyped nearly as much as some of the other stuff I've seen here.  There was that Stallion guy who seems to have disappeared after his trumping of SG and bashing Russell Allen, and some comments about the samples, but when the album dropped, it kind of got quiet.  I just really liked what they did with the overall sound of the album.

Strong is the only song I haven't had the immediate urge to listen to repeatedly at this point.  Maybe I'm coming from the opposite side of you, I was skeptical on how this album was going to turn out between the loss of Mike and the preview samples, so I was very pleasantly surprised.  I was also very anxious for this album.  I think it will grow on you, if you learn to accept what SG is now.