Author Topic: Shadow Gallery Thread - v. Digital Ghosts  (Read 24462 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Shadow Gallery Thread - v. Digital Ghosts
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
a lot of people raved about Suspyre at ProgPower last weekend. I missed them since they played on Thursday,  and I only attended the festival (and not the Showcase).

Ever since I've been meaning to check them out, but that crowd tends to like music and vocals that are not so much my thing anymore. Suspyre added me on myspazz like 4 years ago, but I never listened to them. Perhaps if he's good on this new SG album, I'll want to. But part of it could be just the writing in general (which is maybe my biggest problem with most prog and progmetal music anyway).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »
I had trouble getting into Room V (actually I never really did), but the first couple of albums are good.  I like Carved in Stone the best.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »
Hey everyone!

Sorry if the teasers are teasing, but I suppose that is their job...

In a few days there will be another video promotion clip - We have planned to have a new one every Friday. AFTER this next one, you will be hearing Brian Ashland, who is the band's new singer.

For obvious reasons, he did come along and join very deep into the recording, and this is one of the reasons he is not singing on more tracks than 5... Still we planned on a few guest singers right from the beginning of the record and so we do have Ralf Scheepers - who is not singing like he does on Primal Fear (well this is what one reviewer told me - I really do not know) - and I can say that the 2 songs I did hear him sing on, with his fantastic band "Primal Fear" were nothing short of incredibly impressive.
On the song "Venom" Clay Barton does sing a little more than half of this song (as a duet with another singer to be named later). Clay was wonderful to work with in every capacity. I think his voice is very strong and quite appropriate for the aggressiveness we were looking for.
If we did not find Brian, we would have asked Clay to sing on more songs :)

and then we had DC Cooper, my friend and wonderfully talented singer sing (a very last minute session) on one other song called "Stingray" which fit best as a bonus track on the JAPAN disc (sorry non Japanese DC fans!). This was planned that he would be a guest singer all along, and somehow many just assumed he would take over as the lead vocalist role.
We are happy to have worked with him on this song.

I was equally impressed with the guest solos from Srdjan Brankovic (lead guitar solo on the song 'Strong', and Vivien Lalu - yes, the same guy who helped set up this forum - as a keyboard soloist on the song 'gold dust')

AS far as the drummer issue, Joe plays on a few tracks- We wanted more, but the timing, scheduling etc did not work out , plus we had other plans of another drummer, "carved in stone" drummer Kevin soferra to appear on a few tracks - the same reasons prevented this from happening despite a whole lot of pre-planning...
As far as who did drum, all I can tell you is that it was Carl and Brendt's idea, and I was opposed, but in the end I was happy with their choice.

There will be clips (which i will be creating this week) on myspace - WITH VOCALS in 2 weeks, maybe sooner... Coordinating the promotion of a long awaited CD must be synched between the record company, the independent promotional people (from a few different companies and countries) and the band, but I guess you can say it officially began this past Friday.

interviews are fully underway this week, so you'll be able to read more in mags and online soon... but I will still try to have direct contact with anyone here and answer questions when i can!
thanks!

Gary

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
SG fans...Brian Ashland.... :censored

There is a damn good reason why they choose Ashland to sing on this album. Imagine Geoff Tate of Queensryche back in his prime from the good old days of Rage for Order and Operation Mindcrime....times that by a hint of Matt barlow of 'Iced Earth' times that by a smidgen of Russell Allen and you get the new singer. SG fans do not worry! I joined this forum just to inform the amazing news.

Btw, Ralph Scheepers SOUNDS FRICKEN AMAZING. Listen to the song "Running IN the Dust" by Primal Fear and tell me he isn't something special. :metal  

And Clay Barton is a mixture of Jorn Lande and Russell Allen of Symphony X. It just so happens, he is also a huge fan of those two's singing style. I love his band Suspyre. With DC Cooper (former lead singer from Royal Hunt and sang on New World Order on SG's Tyranny Album) on the album how can we not get excited?!

Album is out on November 3rd in the states!!!! And OCtober 23rd everywhere else!!!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:28:59 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
a lot of people raved about Suspyre at ProgPower last weekend. I missed them since they played on Thursday,  and I only attended the festival (and not the Showcase).

Ever since I've been meaning to check them out, but that crowd tends to like music and vocals that are not so much my thing anymore. Suspyre added me on myspazz like 4 years ago, but I never listened to them. Perhaps if he's good on this new SG album, I'll want to. But part of it could be just the writing in general (which is maybe my biggest problem with most prog and progmetal music anyway).

I got into Suspyre recently. Their stuff is amazing. Sax is a prog band = pure kick ass.
They have great instrumentals and good vocals. Plus the variety of instruments (including sax, violin and more) makes it really unique.

If you wanna try getting into them I'd recomend The Great Divide.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Clay Barton is an awesome singer. It's gonna be awesome to hear his type of singing backed by Shadow Gallery's music. Strange to say but I love the orginal singer Mike Baker of SG, but his being gone is gonna really allow the band to expand and spread it's wings. I'm kind of hoping they get a bit harder which DEF looks the case on the new album.

Looks like SG are going to show up Dream Theater's latest release. DT's album was good but I'm hoping maybe Shadow Gallery could top it
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:29:36 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2009, 01:22:56 AM »
I have a feeling that this will be the weirdest album in Shadow Gallery's career, even if they go on to make another ten records.  All the guest vocalists, the new lead singer only being on five tracks.  Twenty years from now, this will be considered an obvious transition stage in their history.

That being said, I still think it's gonna be awesome.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 01:54:42 AM »
I think it's gonna be awesome.
Yeah, me too, I think its great that they got a new singer in the abscense of Baker.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 07:50:40 AM »
promos have been sent out. They already have been playing the new album on some prog radio stations.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
I know it's going to be awesome! Being that the new album only has 7 songs and a bonus song depending on where you buy it, The one singer being on 5 songs means there is going to be some EPIC prog being created. That third teaser really really is a teaser. More than a month to go. Ahh...can't handle it haha

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
https://www.myspace.com/officialshadowgallery

A short teaser from a song with (I think) the new singer

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
Sounds AMAZING!!  :metal You can pre-order now!  :tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
listening to some of it today..there are some moments..the vocal harmonies work. The new singer, while he's not a bad singer, he sounds mostly like a mix of a couple traditional sounding vocalists in Prog/Power Metal.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
Perhaps it's just how much I love Mike Baker, but my reaction to the new vocalist was one of near repulsion. I have a feeling that it's just because it's different.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 12:35:50 PM »
A mixture of traditional Prog/Power metal...that's bad SoundscapeMN? Isn't that what we want? What's so traditional about his voice. It's extremely distinct, unique sounding, and it's gonna help shadow gallery further their music. He's really comes across with emotion in his vocals.

My reaction to the new singer is one of PURE JOY.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
I know I'm being quite picky here, but DC Cooper would have been pure joy, this guy is certainly not... or at least not from what I've heard thus far.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
DC Cooper is great. Did you ever get Amaran's Plight? That's my favorite album of all time...at least for right now.

I think it's okay as a fan to be picky. I'm a huge Baker fan as well but I think we all need to realize that it'll take awhile for the new singer to grow on us depending on how much you loved baker. But I'm glad they didn't get a clone, getting a clone would've sucked. Plus most of Shadow Gallery sings on the albums, Baker was a big part of the vocals but the background vocals play a huge part of the band. 

I truly think this guy is going to help carry the Legacy of Shadow Gallery on.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
Yeah, love the Amaran's Plight album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
Yeah, when I first heard the latest trailer I was actually expecting Mike to sing and then I couldn't really take the new singer very well. I'll get used to him and he has a fine voice but as someone said, my first thoughts were "he sounds like *some singer* with a mix of a few other singers". Mike was unique, at least to my ears. The great vocal melodies seem to be present but it will take a lot of time to get used to not hearing Mike.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
Yeah, expanding on some early conversation I will say that most of the time having something "generic" is not necessarily a bad thing, but when you go from something special to something generic, well that can be a bit disheartening.

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »
you've only heard....like a minute. Give the guy a chance.  I've heard more of the music then you guys. A lot of complaints I would hear from some people on the first minute they heard Mike Baker was that they thought he was a generic singer. Not saying I agree with that at all. A lot of times it's the music that brings out the singer. He'll win you over. The guys of Shadow Gallery know what they are doing. From what I hear, people who have heard the entire album are ecstatic about it.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:30:48 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »
the title cut is ace. Very jazzy at times.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
As the biggest SG fan on this forum, I must say that I can not wait to own this.

I can't believe Mike's almost been gone a year already. I am so grateful to have gotten to meet him, and to tell him how much I loved his work, before his passing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
Fourth trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADEounA_K7Y
This would have been so goddamn fucking awesome with Mike's voice...

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
Is that the new singer in the fourth trailer, or one of the guest vocalists?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »
I was wondering that too.

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »
Mike or not, this is still gonna be one of their best albums. I have confidence that the band won't let us down. That' newest Trailer is SWEET

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
As the biggest SG fan on this forum, I must say that I can not wait to own this.

I can't believe Mike's almost been gone a year already. I am so grateful to have gotten to meet him, and to tell him how much I loved his work, before his passing.
As another big fan of SG I agree, cant wait until it I get it.

Yeah, times has flied fast. You can really feel grateful to have met him, I would have done the same thing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
I think the new singer is good, though different. Sounds very similar if you ask me.

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
That clip on Myspace is really growing on me. Trailer 4 I can't tell who that is.

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
NEW CLIPs ALERT!!!!

https://www.myspace.com/officialshadowgallery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADEounA_K7Y

I can't wait til it comes out on Nov. 3rd ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:30:01 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2009, 12:46:57 AM »
Interview with Gary Wehrkamp, just follow the first post in the link. Goes into a lot of detail of what's going on with the band.  :tup
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2424803.aspx

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »
Too bad there were no questions about Chris.

https://www.myspace.com/joenevolo - the 3 songs he was on can be listened here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:43:26 AM by abydos »

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »
Interview with Gary Wehrkamp, just follow the first post in the link. Goes into a lot of detail of what's going on with the band.  :tup
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2424803.aspx
Yeah, I just listened to that and the new interview done today with Brian Ashland. They're very good and interesting

https://www.dementiaradio.com/dr/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,34/