Author Topic: When Is The Last Time...  (Read 1291 times)

Offline emtee

When Is The Last Time...
« on: October 11, 2022, 06:20:42 AM »
...you blocked out a chunk of time solely for listening to an album?

Just posted in the QR thread about how differently we all connect to music and the thought occurred to me that most people simply don't have time to put their headphones on, grab an adult beverage and absorb an album in peace without interruption.

I have to say that I've made a commitment lately to doing this, especially with regards to new music and man oh man, it's made a huge difference for me. Seems like I end up really enjoying almost everything to a higher degree. I hope some people, despite life's demands, still get a chance to do this occasionally.

Offline Skeever

Re: When Is The Last Time...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 07:08:17 AM »
I do this a few times per month, especially with vinyls. Just leave the phone in another room, make a cup of herbal tea, sit on the couch, relax, and listen to a record. I agree that it really goes a long way in making sure you really take something in and enjoy it.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 07:08:53 AM »
I do it, sitting and listening definitely has it's portion in my free time pie chart. Often before sleep, though sometimes I'm just too tired for this and sometimes I get drowsy midway. Music really comes alive when I have this want to sit and listen.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 07:12:45 AM »
My listening time is in the car during my daily commute.  I do listen to music while at work as well, but it's mostly as background to stay motivated during the day.  My drive time is when I try to listen more actively, and really dive in to a record.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 07:20:06 AM »
My listening time is in the car during my daily commute.  I do listen to music while at work as well, but it's mostly as background to stay motivated during the day.  My drive time is when I try to listen more actively, and really dive in to a record.

I was just going to say this.

If 'while driving' counts, then I would say daily.

About a year ago, fed up with my inability to find time to listen to music, decided to dedicate my driving time to music only.

Before this, I typically listened to a mix of sports-talk or podcasts, and forcing myself to consume an album each day (I have a half-hour commute) was a challenge at first—I missed my mindless yabbering.

The other angle I added was I wanted to listen through catalogs chronologically, just like I did when I was a teen.

My first run-through was Dream Theater, and after three weeks (leading up to the release of 'A View...'), I was hooked.

Now, a year later, I spend a few minutes each night setting up my morning drive, and I have listened to more music in the past year than in the previous decade!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 07:44:04 AM »

Yeah, me. 

I haven't sat down and expressly listened to an album like emtee describes in decades.  That's not to say I haven't hunkered down for a four hour drive with a box of CDs, or that I didn't program in my CD changer when going out to the garage to work on things (I have a stereo in the garage).  I do dedicate listening time, but it's almost 100% of the time when I'm doing something else.

Online HOF

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 07:44:32 AM »
I sat down and listened to an album last night. I also tend to listen to albums in the car to and from work.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 07:57:46 AM »
I do this when one of my favorite bands releases a new album.  I listen while reading the lyrics and looking at the artwork.

Aside from that, I listen to albums while walking a lot, and that seems like a pretty good way to absorb new albums as well.  I don't have a daily commute but listening in the car is another good way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 09:05:49 AM »

Same here.  If this thread is dedicated to sitting home and solely focused on listening to an album, then I must say it's been quite awhile.  Usually I have background music on when doing things around the house, showering/getting ready, or cooking.  But It's probably been at least 5 years since I put an album on and did nothing but listen at home. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »
been sort of doing it over the last year with artist discography review listening for my YouTube channel.

Last year I did it with the Marillion catalog
This year: Kevin Gilbert, The Dear Hunter, Fates Warning, and the last few weeks, King's X.

I try and listen to 1 album every Monday and Tuesday and then film a review.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 09:28:02 AM »
...you blocked out a chunk of time solely for listening to an album?

Just posted in the QR thread about how differently we all connect to music and the thought occurred to me that most people simply don't have time to put their headphones on, grab an adult beverage and absorb an album in peace without interruption.

I have to say that I've made a commitment lately to doing this, especially with regards to new music and man oh man, it's made a huge difference for me. Seems like I end up really enjoying almost everything to a higher degree. I hope some people, despite life's demands, still get a chance to do this occasionally.

I try to do it a few times a month. I'll probably do it on this Friday for the new Alter Bridge record. I think the problem is, I have less time to do that these days. Busy career, busy home life, it's hard to continually devote hours to headphone listening to records. But I do try to make sure I do it as much as possible. My roundtrip commute is long enough to accommodate a full record, up to about 70 minutes or so, so I do tend to listen to new records in the car. I have a great sound system, so that's how I do a lot of deep listening.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
I could probably do this a lot more often, but it is something I do from time to time. I think the last time I spent time only listening to an album was about a couple weeks ago.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 10:47:36 AM »

Sort of me. I don't have a commute anymore but I still break in most new albums in the car. My 6 disc changer usually has the latest purchases in it and I cycle through them. Occasionally, I will listen to an album while doing stuff on my PC late at night. I go out enough that I still get some good listens in. I have a close to 2 hour round trip today to go pick up some oxygen tanks for my wife so I will get some good listening in.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »
I don't block out time.  I listen to albums while I'm working.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 11:14:22 AM »
[sings] “And did you notice the moon…on the seventh daaaaaaaaaaaaay (the last time)”

NP: “What is the Last Time?” by Forbidden  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »
I do this for new Dream Theater releases, and have for years. 

I will occasionally do it for other albums, but it's pretty rare.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 01:11:20 PM »
I do this a few times per month, especially with vinyls. Just leave the phone in another room, make a cup of herbal tea, sit on the couch, relax, and listen to a record. I agree that it really goes a long way in making sure you really take something in and enjoy it.

I do that a few times per year. Craft beer instead of herbal tea, I admit.

If driving counts I have a few hours per week exclusively for albums and podcast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 01:26:56 PM »
Music is on most of the time I'm awake as I am doing other things.

But when I bust out the weed, I will pick a specific album or playlist to listen and soley focus on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »
I don't set time aside ahead of time, but I can usually find the time at least once or twice a week to give an album the full listen on my super duper stereo.  I kicked back in the lazy boy and just enjoy.  :hat :hat

Online nick_z

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 06:59:48 PM »
I don't do it often enough anymore, where I actually get a CD out an listen to the whole thing, with no distractions...

I have a long commute, though, and a lot of it is spent on a train, so that's an excellent time for me to listen to music.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 07:17:24 PM »
I do a lot driving between houses and use that time to listen to new music or old music that I have wanted to enjoy.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bobzor

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2022, 09:18:37 AM »
I have actually thought about this quite a lot for the last couple of years, and now I'm in a phase where I try to move away from background music completely.

I noticed that background music, while working for instance, doesn't really do anything else for me but create a sort of bubble where I feel isolated and somewhat concentrated at my work. Which is of course great, but do I get out anything from the music? No. This way, music feels just like some random commodity for me, and not like art. So I avoid this nowadays.

Music is great while commuting, walking, or driving. But I'm actually noticing that for commuting or walking I've moved to listening to podcasts much more. I don't know why but I guess I'm thinking that the commute or walk is enough to not give music the full attention I want to give it. Acutally, I think it would be even more beneficial for the mind to just walk without any sounds from headphones, to get a pause from the otherwise hectic life filled with information overload.

Therefore, I try to only listen to music as described in the OP nowadays, because I get so much more out of it that way. I'll certainly listen to a lot less music, perhaps something like 4-5 albums a week, but for me it's a quality before quantity thing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2022, 11:57:47 AM »
I noticed that background music, while working for instance, doesn't really do anything else for me but create a sort of bubble where I feel isolated and somewhat concentrated at my work. Which is of course great, but do I get out anything from the music? No. This way, music feels just like some random commodity for me, and not like art. So I avoid this nowadays.

Might depend on what kind of work you are doing.  When doing desk work, where I'm mentally concentrating on something, you may be right.  But some of my work is physical.  When I listen to music doing that type of work, it has a much greater impact on my enjoyment of the music.  Either way, I generally don't enjoy complete silence unless I'm reading something long like a book or studying.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2022, 02:09:18 PM »
See, for me, creating an isolating bubble for me to concentrate is definitely doing something for me.  It's not a random commodity, it's music that I like accompanying me through my life.  I suppose if I remembered nothing about what I heard and could play just whatever, it would be more like a commodity.  But that's not at all the case.  If music that I dislike is playing, it affects my mood, makes it hard to concentrate, etc. I remember having to listen to country music while I was trying to work and I just wanted stand up and tell everyone to shut up and/or throw myself from a cliff.  On the other hand, recently I was working on something and the coworkers that sent it to me did a crap job and I was getting a headache trying to get it all sorted.
I put on a Katatonia album, and by the time the album was over, I knew exactly how to fix everything and was well on my way to doing so, headache gone.  It was the farthest thing from a random commodity.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2022, 07:02:49 AM »
Everything that everyone is writing about music being distracting is how I feel about podcasts.  I should LOVE podcasts, but I find myself having to rewind to re-hear something or something like that.  I've been restoring a Jeep in my garage, and I had the entire manifold system in pieces on my floor, and the wife (I love you honey!) was like "you need to start reassembling!".  So I filled the six-disk changer with some Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell and Willie Nelson and hit "Play".  It was perfect.  Relaxing, focusing, and I got the entire job done in two days.  Jeep running, registered and back on the road! 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2022, 08:21:20 AM »
A few times a month, usually when I get a new vinyl I'll put it on and just listen while having a drink.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »
Not all that often, I hate to say.  I did it somewhat more when I was younger.  I think working small business management and customer service destroyed my attention span.  I had a fair amount of time accumulated to listen to music at work, but rarely more than 10 minutes at a time before something would require my attention.  And then after work my time was limited enough that as much as I love music, regularly spending a whole hour on an album while accomplishing nothing else was difficult to justify.  So for more repetitive and thoughtless chores and activities I've listened to podcasts, and for everything else I have music going, and my concentration ebbs and flows depending upon how much I'm focusing on whatever else I'm doing and how into the artist/album/song currently playing I am.  But I quite regularly still listen to particular tracks while doing nothing else, analyzing them for some purpose or another. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:28:28 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »
Just after Astonishing came out, my wife actually left the house for the afternoon with friends and I got to sit down and listen to the whole thing! It was a miracle.  I think that was the last time at home.  I usually listen to music in my car.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2022, 03:46:31 PM »
Not for a long time. I should.

On a barely related note, I've been exploring a bit of modern grindcore of late and managed to listen to a whole new-to-me album in the time it took to drive and collect my son from an evening thing - (12 tracks, 22 minutes).  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2022, 08:39:13 PM »
Listen to Nails' Unsilent Death.  Less than 14 minutes.  :)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 12:16:22 AM »
Listen to Nails' Unsilent Death.  Less than 14 minutes.  :)

Ooo, thanks. I will.  :tup

EDIT: Enjoyed it. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:59:56 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.