Author Topic: DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!  (Read 17566 times)

Offline Unlegit

Re: DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
Nice update with the middle 3.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »
Wait, you don't actually hate AFIL with a passion? It's the only song on WDADU I absolutely despise, incidentally. It's just such a clusterfuck all around.
Of all the dreck on that album, AFIL is the one that you despise?

DOES NOT COMPUTE
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
Yeah. Granted, it's been a while for pretty much any WDADU song for me, so that might have changed, but the last time I listened, AFIL was the only song where I was really thinking "of my fucking god, when is this over". TOWHTSTS, SS, LFAGA and OAMOT are pretty average, but they have some interesting stuff going on, and Ytse Jam, Afterlife and The Killing Hand just kick ass all around.

Though I have gathered that this is a pretty uncommon opinion in general, so I'll just shut up now. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »
AFIL is great but there are 3 even better songs on WDADU (Afterlife, TOWHTSTS and The Killing Hand).

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
I love all of those except for TBOT. TBOT has a lot of excellent sections, but as a whole song, it's not one I like a whole lot. But I don't dislike it either.

Something else we agree on. :hifive:

33. This Dying Soul

I think that I like this song more than most. Then again, I think that I like Train of Thought more than most.

I'm with you on that one.  Train of Thought is AWESOME.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
30. Erotomania

Coming in at #30 is my favorite Dream Theater instrumental. Erotomania is such an awesome piece from start to stop.  I absolutely love what Moore is doing in this song. He’s really driving it. And Pertucci’s guitar work is great as always.  I don’t know what else there is to say about this song, other than that it’s a great instrumental!

29. Learning to Live

Up next is Images & Words’ epic album ender. I know a lot of people hold this song as DT’s best, and to some, seeing it outside of a Top 25 is sacrilege.  I don’t mean to take anything away from the song, as it is fantastic, but I feel the same way about the 28 songs that I prefer to this one. The storytelling by Myung via LaBrie is outstanding. The instrumental section is smooth. And it is a great way to end an album. Learning to Live is definitely deserving of all the praise that it receives.

28. Finally Free

While The Spirit Carries On would be a fine way to end Scenes from a Memory, I absolutely love the true album ending song.  Jordan’s work really sets the mood for a brooding first verse.  I love the lyrics, and how the chorus works for multiple characters. The music behind the sampling during the murders is epic and metal. The One Last Time reprise is tragic bliss, and masterfully placed. The drum work to close the album is some of Portnoy’s finest. Love this song, and feel it to be overlooked/underrated by many.

27. On the Backs of Angels

Can I get some love for this intro? What a great way to take your time leading into one of the most epic “riffs” in DT history. This song has it all. Interesting lyrics, expert playing all around, a fantastic instrumental and an above average chorus.  I was already very excited for A Dramatic Turn of Events, but when I heard this “single” my hopes and expectations went through the roof. The band delivered, and this song is a great example of who Dream Theater is as a band.

26. Beyond This Life

That opening riff, that instrumental section, THAT CHORUS, this song has it all. It is a righteous rocker that refuses to allow to listener to catch his/her breath after the end of Fatal Tragedy. I love the straightforwardness of the verses versus the eeriness of the chorus. I love the song, and love the extended version from LaB as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
Glad to see some love for BTL.  Not sure why it gets so much dislike around these parts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »

Can I get some love for this intro?
From me, absolutely!

Glad to see some love for BTL.  Not sure why it gets so much dislike around these parts.
I really haven't got the slightest clue.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »

Can I get some love for this intro?

But of course you can.  That intro was what first made my jaw drop on my first listen of ADTOE, to be followed by MANY more jaw-dropping moments thereafter.

Oh, and Erotomania is the absolute TITS. :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 11:43:06 PM »

Prog fans fear notes.

It's easily one of my favourite songs on the album, and that's because of the instrumental section, not despite it.

Nice update, although LTL and OTBOA wouldn't make my top 50. DRINK!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:35:40 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 01:23:55 AM »
8:26-9:06

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
Oh, low one for LTL. Me sad  :sadpanda:

Good to see OTBOA high, though :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »
So much yes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
25. In the Name of God

Coming in at #25 is Train of Thought’s epic album ender. What is not to love about this song? That opening riff is beefy. The lyrics are interesting. The chorus is killer. The instrumental section is flawless. The outro is epic.  I’m glad that I got to see this one live!

24. Honor Thy Father

I’ll always be a metalhead at heart, and this song caters to my tastes wonderfully. This is a 10 minute wall of sound. There are some great riffs on this track. James’ delivery is great for what this song called for. The chorus isn’t that great, but the breakdown and samples are metal as hell. I really love that extra touch that Jordan gives to this song, which may be subtle, but for me, puts it over the top. DON’T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP!

23. Afterlife

Afterlife is a tasty little song.  A great intro, catchy chorus, that awesome unison all add up to a great song. I feel that Charlie is perfect for this song, and prefer the original, I don’t know what else to write about it other than to urge you to listen to it more often!

22. The Count of Tuscany

Up next is a Dream Theater epic that completely baffles me. We start with a touching intro that could have been ripped right out of Awake. Then some awesome heavy guitar work take the song in a different and equally awesome direction. The chorus is absolutely incredible, and one of DT’s very best. But there are two key things that bring this song down a bit for me. #1 is the lyrics. They’re silly and really betray the amazing music that they were written for. #2 I really lose interest around the 11:00 minute mark. This part really puts me to sleep. I appreciate what they were going for, but it’s just not my cup of tea. But despite these two things, The Count of Tuscany is an incredible song.

21. Disappear

Coming in at #21 is the most haunting of Dream Theater’s songs. Disappear is a great way to close out disc one of Six Degree. I love the eerie keyboards that Jordan utilizes. These are James’ best lyrics, and the delivery is flawless. Few songs have devastated me the way that this song did. 

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
Those positions would be close to mine, maybe take away Afterlife and In The Name of God.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Yes, I like that part too.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
25. In the Name of God

Coming in at #25 is Train of Thought’s epic album ender. What is not to love about this song? That opening riff is beefy. The lyrics are interesting. The chorus is killer. The instrumental section is flawless. The outro is epic.  I’m glad that I got to see this one live!

Amazing song is fecking AMAZING. :2metal:

24. Honor Thy Father

I’ll always be a metalhead at heart, and this song caters to my tastes wonderfully. This is a 10 minute wall of sound. There are some great riffs on this track. James’ delivery is great for what this song called for. The chorus isn’t that great, but the breakdown and samples are metal as hell. I really love that extra touch that Jordan gives to this song, which may be subtle, but for me, puts it over the top. DON’T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP!

You and I (at least, IIRC) have a healthier love for this one than a lot of people do in these parts.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
All excellent songs, except Afterlife, which I'd consider "good". Of all the songs on WDADU to be ranked this high, there are much worse, I suppose. :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »

Is that the awesome horn section?

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

Is that the awesome horn section?
Yup. I know it rocks.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
That whole instrumental section is phenomenal.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 03:47:32 AM »
Agreed much. Sorry Ville :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 07:40:11 AM »
I can't stand it - sorry everyone! :loser: I'd rather listen to a loop of the guitar noise in Misunderstood...

Anyway, it's great to see I'm not the only one who loves Afterlife, that song is just... :heart :hefdaddy :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »
I can't stand it - sorry everyone! :loser: I'd rather listen to a loop of the guitar noise in Misunderstood...
We disagree on exactly four things:
1) ADTOE
2) TOWHTSTS
3) The noise in Misunderstood
4) The BTL horn stuff.

Anything else I didn't pick up?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the horn section in BTL. It doesn't make my heart beat faster as the extended Zappa Jam, sure, but it's cool enough for me to like it :D
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »
We disagree on exactly four things:
1) ADTOE
2) TOWHTSTS
3) The noise in Misunderstood
4) The BTL horn stuff.

Anything else I didn't pick up?
I actually like the noise in Misunderstood, it's just the keyboards that turn me off in that outro - everything else in that song rules. I rarely have a problem with Jordan's playing, but his sounds can get on my nerves sometimes! :lol

I think you only forgot Octavarium and Cover My Eyes from that list. I'm not the biggest fan of TSCO, either, but it's a decent tune. Anyway, it's great that there's at least one person whose taste is fairly similar to mine :hug:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
20. The Glass Prison

My twentieth favorite Dream Theater song is The Glass Prison. This is a metal masterpiece! What a fantastic way to open an album. JP is an absolute beast on this song with the heavy riffs, the incredible solos. I remember when I first heard this song. I marked out for the static beginning. It made me theorize that this album was a sequel to Scenes. Alas, I was wrong, but this song is so, so right!

19. Outcry

This is one of those “This is Dream Theater” songs.  It absolutely blows my mind that ADTOE has no less than five such songs. Outcry is epic from start to stop. That huge riff to open the song, the anthem that is the chorus, the incredible instrumental section, this song has it all. Would love to see this beast get more love around here, but all in all, this is Dream Theater!

18. Breaking All Illusions

Oh look, another “This is Dream Theater” song from the newest album. Awesome proggy intro and instrumental section, the thought provoking lyrics. The smooth solo by JP, this song truly has it all. Good enough to be #1, but alas, there are 17 more that I love just a little bit more.

17. The Mirror

One of my sentimental favorites, The Mirror never fails to life me up after one of my absolute least favorite DT songs (when listening to Awake). That intro is one of my absolute favorites. Love the atmosphere delivered by KM’s keys and samples. I love the lyrics and James’ delivery. I am quite shocked that this song is only at #17, it used to be much higher. But that’s just the way it has to be when you’re dealing with a band this incredible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
Well, that's a great batch there, DoC.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »

Seriously though, that's one HELL of an update. :letam: :2metal: :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
I hate Outcry, and BAI is merely "ok" for me, and overrated. But The Mirror and TGP - :tup :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2013, 03:09:37 AM »
I recognize it, Blob, that's #681!!

Now I should go with my #001:

I hate TGP :D
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2013, 03:11:46 AM »
Nice update! :metal

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 03:37:31 AM »
All great songs with the exception of Outcry. Instrumentally it's great, but the lyrics are a rare example of me not liking DT lyrics at all.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2013, 05:23:54 AM »
The Mirror  :tup.

Outcry and BAI are both alright.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
The Mirror  :tup.

Outcry and BAI are both alright.
Opposite for me.