Author Topic: DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!  (Read 17545 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:26 AM »
I want DT to make another experimental album.
Oh god yes. It'd be even better if the new album was a double lp. Damnit I'm just dreaming.  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »

I want DT to make another experimental album.

If it ends up anywhere near as good as SDOIT, yes please.
That's why I said it - I think this lineup really has it in them for something like that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:12 PM »
10. Metropolis

I don’t know what I could say about this song that hasn’t been said in other lists. This is the song that upon listening to one time showed me that Dream Theater was the most talented band that I have ever or will ever listen to. Everything about this song is fantastic. I love the lyrics and James’ deliver. The instrumental section is one of the bands’ best. I finally saw this song live last year, and I’ll die just a little bit happier having done so.

9. Voices

Up next is the best song of the Kevin Moore era. Voices is truly epic. The lyrics are some of Pertucci’s finest. This song was my favorite Dream Theater song for a few years. It would be higher if DT wouldn’t have come out with better and better songs through the years. But I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this classic!

8. ???
 7. ???
 6. ???
 5. ???
 4. ???
 3.  ???
 2. ???
 1. ???

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »

8. ???
 7. ???
 6. ???
 5. ???
 4. ???
 3.  ???
 2. ???
 1. ???

I see that number 3 has an extra Space;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
Great choices.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
Great choices. You say Voices is the best song of the KM era, so does that mean the top 8 are all ACOS onwards?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
I like Voices, but I don't think I'd rate it that high.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »
Most of the typical fan favorites, even from the post-KM era, have appeared already... Trial of Tears will most likely be in the top 8, but it's hard to guess what the rest will be.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
Great choices. You say Voices is the best song of the KM era, so does that mean the top 8 are all ACOS onwards?

Yep.

8. Sacrificed Sons

Up next is the other often overlooked epic from Octavarium. Sacrificed Sons packs way more of a punch than it’s slightly bloated album mate. The samples in the beginning set the tone perfectly. The lyrics are nothing to write home about, but they work. The instrumental section is one of DT’s very best. The second half of the section is beyond epic! The orchestra is utilized to perfection. I love how intense the 2nd half of the song is. Truly a great song, and the fact that DT didn’t shoot this thing out right after 9/11 like some other artists and bands did makes me respect the band even more.

7. Endless Sacrifice

Endless Sacrifice is my favorite song from Train of Thought, by far. I was farther from home than I ever was when I was listening to ToT daily.  I had a long distance relationship going on and this song served as the anthem. The lyrics became personal to me. The instrumental section is classic DT akin to Metropolis.  I love how the song gets more intense at the end. This was actually the first DT song that I head live, although it wasn’t on the set list for that night. I was standing in line and got to hear the band run through it during sound check. Fortunately for me, I got to see it two weeks later at another show.

6. ???
5. ???
4. ???
3.  ???
2. ???
1. ???

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »
Not what I'd put in 7 and 8, but hey... it ain't my Top 50 either. :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2013, 11:21:45 PM »
SS is an interesting choice. :tup I really love the song, although it's not top 20 material for me. Top 50 for sure though!
Endless Sacrifice is actually my least favourite from ToT. I love the instrumental section, but I find the rest of the song a little dull. I don't dislike it though. Another interesting choice.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2013, 02:00:01 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is actually my least favourite from ToT. I love the instrumental section, but I find the rest of the song a little dull.
Looks like we have to disagree once again! :lol I think the instrumental section is the weakest part of the song, but I love the rest of it and the intro is really nice to play on guitar. I don't even mind the "nu metal bleeps" in the chorus that some people seem to dislike. Sacrificed Sons is a slightly stronger song overall though.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »
Yay, Endless Sacrifice! :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2013, 03:41:13 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is actually my least favourite from ToT. I love the instrumental section, but I find the rest of the song a little dull.
Looks like we have to disagree once again! :lol I think the instrumental section is the weakest part of the song, but I love the rest of it and the intro is really nice to play on guitar. I don't even mind the "nu metal bleeps" in the chorus that some people seem to dislike. Sacrificed Sons is a slightly stronger song overall though.

I already had a feeling most people would feel opposite to me there. I love the fun instrumental stuff like Endless Sacrifice, and Beyond This Life, but for me the rest of the song isn't up to the same standard. I don't dislike it, it just does nothing for me unfortunately.

Nu metal bleeps. :lol I believe you mean the guitar harmonics? I like those.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2013, 05:25:33 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is my favorite song from Train of Thought, by far. I was farther from home than I ever was when I was listening to ToT daily.  I had a long distance relationship going on and this song served as the anthem. The lyrics became personal to me. The instrumental section is classic DT akin to Metropolis.

I have a sort of similar story with ES. When I first listened to it, I only liked Jordan's short piano break, then eventually the whole instrumental section. I couldn't bring myself to really like the rest (although it got better with each subsequent listening), it sort of reminded me of Linkin' Park and all those other bands I hated growing up and had to constantly suffer listening to because my that's what my classmates were into (it was hard being a prog-child). Then I got into a relationship which became long distance after the first few months. I remember listening to this song in my bed (how appropriate), half asleep and the lyrics suddenly just hit me witch such raw emotional power that it instantly propelled ES into my top 10. It's one of the most personal experiences DT ever gave me.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:36 AM »
Yep, I remember someone calling them that way! :lol I don't mind them, either, the chorus would sound kind of empty without them.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2013, 06:40:55 AM »
Yep, I remember someone calling them that way! :lol I don't mind them, either, the chorus would sound kind of empty without them.
Agreed.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »
it was hard being a prog-child
I'm sorry to single this sentence out of your most touching story but it gave me a chuckle :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
'Cause I'm a... PROGCHILD! *di-du-di-du*
Yeah, I'm a progchild! *di-du-di-du*
Hello... progchild! *di-du-di-du*
*du-du-du-du du-dun* Coming to get you!
*du-du-du-du du-dun* Oooooooh yeah, yeah.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
Very interesting thread and song choices you got here DoC.  I'll be sure to read through it some more when I get a chance.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
Love Endlesss Sacrifice, a top 10 song for me I'd say.

Don't like Sacrificed Sons too much, not sure if it would even make my top 50.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »
Endless Sacrifice is my favorite song from Train of Thought, by far. I was farther from home than I ever was when I was listening to ToT daily.  I had a long distance relationship going on and this song served as the anthem. The lyrics became personal to me. The instrumental section is classic DT akin to Metropolis.

I have a sort of similar story with ES. When I first listened to it, I only liked Jordan's short piano break, then eventually the whole instrumental section. I couldn't bring myself to really like the rest (although it got better with each subsequent listening), it sort of reminded me of Linkin' Park and all those other bands I hated growing up and had to constantly suffer listening to because my that's what my classmates were into (it was hard being a prog-child). Then I got into a relationship which became long distance after the first few months. I remember listening to this song in my bed (how appropriate), half asleep and the lyrics suddenly just hit me witch such raw emotional power that it instantly propelled ES into my top 10. It's one of the most personal experiences DT ever gave me.

Thanks for sharing. I had a feeling that there was at least one person out there with a similar story.

Very interesting thread and song choices you got here DoC.  I'll be sure to read through it some more when I get a chance.   :tup

Thank you!

6. Home

Coming in at number six is the epic of Scenes From a Memory. I have always loved Home, and it was once my all-time favorite Dream Theater song. I love everything about this song, except for maybe some of the sampling. I love all of the references to Metropolis. The intro is great. That WOMP WOMP riff is one of the band’s very best. The lyrics and delivery are top notch. Rudess is a monster on this song. I’m pretty surprised that this song is “only” number six, as it’s the “lowest” it’s ever been for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »
Higher than I would put it, but no doubt a great song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
^that.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
'Cause I'm a... PROGCHILD! *di-du-di-du*
Yeah, I'm a progchild! *di-du-di-du*
Hello... progchild! *di-du-di-du*
*du-du-du-du du-dun* Coming to get you!
*du-du-du-du du-dun* Oooooooh yeah, yeah.

I vote for DT to cover my eyes this song with those lyrics and insert a 5/16 section after the chorus.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »

That. I've always thought it was a teeny bit overrated compared to the rest of the album. A great song, but I prefer about half of the album. But still a great song.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2013, 11:10:28 PM »
It's an awesome song, but it's simply marred by the samples. I just can't take the song seriously after that. Skipping that part, however, gets you right into one of Dream Theater's best solo sections.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2013, 03:25:02 AM »
It's an awesome song, but it's simply marred by the samples. I just can't take the song seriously after that. Skipping that part, however, gets you right into one of Dream Theater's best solo sections.
Like I said in my top 50, I always listen to Home on LSFNY and in a lot of cases just turn the commentary for the sample section so I can laugh a bit :)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
5. Lost Not Forgotten

Up next Is a song that grabs you and takes you on a journey, well it might not do that to you, but it does so to me. Lost Not Forgotten is a masterpiece. This wall of sound grabs you from the intro and takes you through great section after great section. The riffs are chunky. The soloing is among DT’s very best. Mangini is an absolute monster on this track. James’ sounds great, as usual. The lyrics aren’t the band’s best, but they certainly lend themselves to the music. I got to hear this one live last summer, and believe you me, it was impressive. Lost Not Forgotten….. Awesome Not Overrated.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2013, 02:45:25 AM »

Yup.

5. Lost Not Forgotten

Up next Is a song that grabs you and takes you on a journey, well it might not do that to you, but it does so to me. Lost Not Forgotten is a masterpiece. This wall of sound grabs you from the intro and takes you through great section after great section. The riffs are chunky. The soloing is among DT’s very best. Mangini is an absolute monster on this track. James’ sounds great, as usual. The lyrics aren’t the band’s best, but they certainly lend themselves to the music. I got to hear this one live last summer, and believe you me, it was impressive. Lost Not Forgotten….. Awesome Not Overrated.

:o

Oh HELL YEAH!!!! :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2013, 02:51:24 AM »
Lost Not Forgotten is one of my favourites from ADTOE, although it wouldn't make my top 20. Top 50 definitely though. :tup :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13:53 AM »
Wow, didn't see that coming! :o Not a top 50 song for me, but great regardless! :tup

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
4. The Ministry of Lost Souls

I remember listening to Systematic Chaos for the first time. Prophets of War winded down and suddenly the greatest intro that I have ever heard blasted through the speakers. It was enough to immediately hook me. The music was slow, methodical and eerie, like Disappear revisited. These are some of my favorite lyrics too. This feels like such an emotional and thoughtful song good enough to close any Dream Theater album. Then that instrumental version, granted a bit forced, is more of the same of DT doing what they do best. I’ll never take those instrumental pieces for granted, as these musicians are incredible.  “Don’t turn your back on Paradise”  So epic…. Epic outro! A perfect song!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2013, 08:34:13 AM »
^ awesome song, totally underrated. About 20ish places lower with me, but very beautiful.