Author Topic: DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!  (Read 17526 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:39 AM »
    Hello everyone. I will now be starting my top 50 DT countdown. You may know me as the user who is running the DT League over in the Polls & Survivors forum. Since I run the league, I typically don’t share my thoughts on which songs win and lose, or more to the point, which songs I like more than others. Believe me, there have been plenty of times where one of my favorite songs lost to a song that I don’t like nearly as much and I felt like going all WTF like some of you do. So sharing this list will serve as a means to finally share my thoughts and opinions on the fantastic music that this amazing band has crafted during their lengthy and legendary career.

Growing up, my favorite genre was heavy metal. My favorite bands were the usual suspects like Metallica and Ozzy. In 1995, I heard Pull Me Under on the Radio. But it wasn’t until the 1997 that I truly got into the band.  My step dad played bass guitar. He joined a band, and they sent him home with two cassette tapes. One was a copy of Images & Words, the other, a copy of Awake.  I pretty much took those tapes from him, because the music absolutely blew me away. Plus, he was never going to come close to replicating John Myung anyway.

So eventually, I got Images & Words and Awake on CD. I went to a CD Store (Remember those) and purchased Falling Into Infinity. A few months later, my older brother got me A Change of Seasons & When Dream and Day Unite. I even ended up with 5 Years in a Livetime on VHS. But I was able to get each album, beginning with Scenes from a Memory in order of when they were released. I couldn’t get Train of Thought when it first came out because I was in boot camp. When I was leaving boot camp to fly to my next destination, the airport had a CD store, and sure enough, Train of Thought was in stock. So I bought the CD and a portable CD player so I could hear it on the flight. Perfect timing, them coming out with an album like that after I came out of boot camp all kinds of angry.

As of now, my favorite bands (other than Dream Theater) are Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, Kamelot, Nightwish, Epica, Redemption, Iced Earth, Opeth , Circus Maximus, Royal Hunt & Sonata Arctica.

I had fun crafting this list. It was a very slow, but simple method that I implemented. You may agree with some of my choices. You may be offended with some of them. But I make no apologies. DT is the greatest band that I’ve ever heard, and all of their music is great. These are just my personal favorites.

Now, let’s get right to it. The first five songs on my list are as follows:

50. This is the Life

Coming in at #50 is a song from 2011’s A Dramatic Turn of Events. After opening with three rockers, this ballad-esque really is a great choice for the four hole. The less is more approach that went into making this song really pays off.  It is a deceptive 6:57, feeling much shorter.   I love the lyrics, and have my own views as to what they really mean.  I’m really glad that I got to see this one performed live. As always, Pertucci’s solo was incredible.

49, Burning My Soul

Next up is a song that is probably one of my guilty pleasures. I remember back in 1997 when this song was getting a bit of play on my local rock station. I absolutely loved it. And in those days, I had no internet forum to tell me that it’s a bad song, and that longer songs are better. I love that damn bass in the intro. This has always been a fun song to sing along to. And that keyboard solo is my favorite Derek moment in DT history. Of course DT have written much better music and lyrics, but sometimes less is more, and I’ll always have a place in my heart for this rocker.

48. Space-Dye Vest

At #48 we have the Awake album ender. When I was being indoctrinated into Dream Theater, I had Images & Words in one hand, and Awake in the other. And this particular song was truly different from all of the others. But I loved it. The bizarre lyrics, the eerie piano, the samples and the epic ending. I remember  in 11th Grade, I broke up with a girlfriend that I had turned on to DT. I wrote her the lyrics to this song and had the “Never come near me again” line all bolded and big. That didn’t go over too well. 

47. Stream of Consciousness

Stream of Consciousness, the epic instrumental from Train of Thought is next. When I read the track listing and saw this song title, I immediately thought of Lines in the Sand, as did many people I’m sure. This song is a rocker, which I find very hard to listen to without tapping my foot, or flat out air drumming out. Great runs, smooth transitions and genius back and forth between Pertucci and Rudess, it’s all you want out of a heavier DT instrumental. 

46. A Rite of Passage

I was impatient, and indulged in this song when offered as a single ahead of the release of Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I’m certainly glad that I did. That riffing! That touchscreen solo! But most importantly, that chorus! I don’t care what anybody says, the chorus to A Rite of Passage is one of my absolute favorites. They knocked it out of the park. I love this song for what it is.

Stay tuned for updates!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: DoC's Top 50 Favorite Dream Theater songs, like ever!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
Putting AROP above SDV is going to stir some controversy, stay assured  :lol

Aside from that, great GREAT premise post  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »

Perhaps..... but that's child's play when compared to what's to come.

Aside from that, great GREAT premise post  :tup

Thank you. I think these lists work better when you've got a little background so people understand why you picked what you did.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:00:17 AM »

Really? I'd easily put AROP well above SDV. I agree with DoC about AROP's chorus, it's just excellent. SDV is a borefest, and I love DT's mellow/ballad side more than most. And I'm amused by a story that results in SDV helping keep the chicks away. :P

Interesting mix so far! Nothing I'd rank noticeably higher, and only one that I'd rank substantially lower (I'm sure it's obvious which one :lol ).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:38 AM »
SDV is way too low and ranking AROP above it is blasphemy IMO - to quote myself:
AROP could've been a good metal single - I like the intro and the riffing during the verses, and the chorus is catchy. But of course they had to insert that totally unrelated generic instrumental section with the awful Bebot solo into the middle of the song just for the sake of making it longer... ::)
However, it's nice to see BMS on someone's list for once. It's not even close to being DT's worst song IMO and Derek's solo rules.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:29 AM »
Really cool to see BMS and AROP! The chorus is AROP is absolutely fantastic indeed.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
Oh hi DoC, nice to see you're making your list too :)

I disagree with everything here :lol :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Yeah!  A Rite of Passage.  The only thing I don't like about it is it's like they gave up on trying to transition back from the instrumental to the last verse.  WTF is with that?  But other than that, it's a great song.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
I really like Stream of Consciousness and Space-Dye Vest, but the most important thing is that they are on the list anyway.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »
Very cool. I'll definitely be following your list.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:02:44 AM »
I'd easily put AROP well above SDV.

Every day, and TWICE on Sundays. :hifive:

GREAT start, DoC, and I loved the background you gave before you went into the list itself.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
Thank you all for the comments.

45. Pull Me Under

My 45th favorite Dream Theater song is the first Dream Theater song that I ever heard. I think that sometimes, people underrate this song because they’re sick of seeing it on setlists and things like that.  It’s never been my favorite song, but I think that it is a fantastic album over, and a very good introduction to the band. LaBrie sounds great on the track. The riffage is chunky. The chorus is simple but effective. I’ll never forget the first time I ever listened to DT. I’ll always have a place in my heart for this song.

44. Strange déjà vu

What a great transition, from the end of Overture 1928, to the beginning of Strange déjà vu. I love the story telling aspect of this song. It delves into the story of the concept without really giving anyway away. To me, it’s kind of like the lyrical version of Overture 1928. Musically, this thing turns into quite a nice little rocker towards the middle. I absolutely love Rudess’ keys in this song.

43. The Great Debate

After listening to Home, some of my “Tool” fans were up in arms about the bass line. Well a year or so later, I was able to play for them “The Great Debate” and example of DT harnessing a particular bands sound and producing something better. I love the lyrics of this song, and how the different arguments are coming out of different parts of the mix. The music is eerie. It’s heavy as hell. A great choice for a long, chunky song to gobble up minutes between Misunderstood and Disappear.

42. As I Am

Up next is Train of Thought’s excellent album opener. Pertucci is a monster on this song. That damn solo, easily one of his best ever. This song does a great job in setting the tone for DT’s heaviest album. This is a great show opener as well. One time, I saw DT open with As I Am, and it was pouring rain and dark outside. Epic metal time.

41. Lines in the Sand

Lines in the Sand is a song that I do like, but nowhere near as much as the typical Dream Theater fan. Regardless, The lyrics are amazing at times. Musically, the opening is great, the versus is great, but the chorus is a complete dead end, and drags the entire song down a bit. I mean, it’s chorus is Blind Faith bad even without considering the horrible backup vocals provided by the Kings X guy. But, bad chorus aside, this is still a great song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
Great choices. I probably rank them mostly a bit higher, especially LITS and As I Am. :tup

And I have never understood the problem some people have with the background vocals in LITS. I think they're awesome. Something loose and improvised and just rockin'. I think the whole chorus is one of the strengths of the song imo.

But each to their own. :dunno:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
"Blind Faith bad" ???

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »
I have never understood the problem some people have with the background vocals in LITS. I think they're awesome. Something loose and improvised and just rockin'. I think the whole chorus is one of the strengths of the song imo.
I . . . agree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Onno

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
I have never understood the problem some people have with the background vocals in LITS. I think they're awesome. Something loose and improvised and just rockin'. I think the whole chorus is one of the strengths of the song imo.
I . . . agree.
Me too. Those background vocals are great.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »
"Blind Faith bad" ???
Je ne comprends pas ce qu'il a dit.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
I don't like the Blind Faith's chorus. It hurts me.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »
I don't like the Blind Faith's chorus. It hurts me.
If you say that again,I'm gonna hurt you.  :rollin

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
42. As I Am

Up next is Train of Thought’s excellent album opener. Pertucci is a monster on this song. That damn solo, easily one of his best ever. This song does a great job in setting the tone for DT’s heaviest album. This is a great show opener as well.

YES!  I have never understood the hate for this song, and for Train of Thought in general.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
I can completely see where you're coming from with the choruses for Blind Faith and LiTS. I hate both of them, for the same reason-- the have no flow, and no catchy factor. DT manages to pull off odd meters and make them catchy simultaneously, but in both cases I feel catchiness was sacrificed for quirkiness.

That being said, both are some of my favorite of DT, and I don't feel the choruses drag the songs down very much at all. LiTS is probably in my top ten.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
40. The Best of Times

Up next is Mike Portnoy’s touching song for his father. I love the piano intro. I feel that it is one of DT’s best intros. My least favorite part of the song is when it speeds up, but I appreciate why they did it. From 6:10 on, the music is absolutely incredible.  Quite possibly the most underrated song on the most underrated album.

39. Overture 1928

Overture 1928….. what an awesome instrumental piece. I get goose bumps when I hear the Metropolis theme at the start of this song.  Every player is on point, the smooth keyboard solo was instant proof that Jordan was going to be a great fit for this band. Great way to preview the album, while transitioning from Regression to Strange Déjà vu.

38. Take the Time

This used to be one of my favorite songs, but it really hasn’t aged well to me. The intro is still awesome. The initial samples are still silly. The chorus is still epic. All in all, still a great song, but like I said, it hasn’t aged well for me.

37. The Root of All Evil
Talk about awesome intros. What a great way to open Octavarium, or even a concert. James sounds great on this song, as does everyone else. Absolutely love the story that the song is conveying. For me, these are the best lyrics that Mike wrote for the AA suite. Awesome chorus, great instrumental section, great song!

36. Caught in a Web

This little gem has always been a favorite of mine. Love the lyrics. The Kevin’s keyboards sounds phenomenal on this song, as they do for much of Awake. James sounds so damn aggressive singing the verses. Kind of an underrated song in my opinion. Would love to hear it live.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 02:19:21 PM »
Finally some love for TBOT :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
Good to see AROP and CIAW.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »
I love all of those except for TBOT. TBOT has a lot of excellent sections, but as a whole song, it's not one I like a whole lot. But I don't dislike it either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
I love all of those except for TBOT. TBOT has a lot of excellent sections, but as a whole song, it's not one I like a whole lot. But I don't dislike it either.

I agree with this.  It won't make my top 50.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »
35. A Fortune in Lies

I love this song. This is such an uplifting, energetic  album opener, and I’m sure a great introduction to the band for anyone fortunate (or old) enough to discover this band on the ground floor. This song absolutely slays live.

34. Scarred

This song has been widely discussed on the majority of these lists.  I hate the intro, but once the song kicks in, it’s Dream Theater at its best. Every musician is on point. Great lyrics, but my favorite part about this song is that outro. I’m sure that I’m not alone in this regard.

33. This Dying Soul

I think that I like this song more than most. Then again, I think that I like Train of Thought more than most. In fact, this was the first Dream Theater album released in which I liked every song.  I love metal, and this song delivers. The first half of this song, by itself, would threaten to invade the top 20, but the back end of this song really drags it down, as do some of LaBries vocals. Of all of the songs that supposedly should end sooner, this one actually could stand to lose a few minutes. But all in all, heavy Dream Theater will always have my heart.

32. Hell’s Kitchen

Hell’s Kitchen… what can be said? Sandwiched lovingly between two great songs,  I love the atmosphere and constant build that this song brings. I have heard Lines in the Sand performed twice live. I only wish that this gem would have preceded the epic as it does in the album.

31. The Killing Hand

Ah, more WDADU greatness. My favorite WDADU song for many years, the Killing Hand is flawless musically. Lyrically and vocally, there are some issues. But as Dream Theater’s first released epic, this song will always have a special place in my heart. If only it would find a place on the set list the next time I see this great band perform.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »
Hey, some of these are great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Onno

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:43 AM »
All great songs, though TDS isn't near my top 50.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 05:20:10 AM »
That's a killer update.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:52 AM »
That's a killer update.

That's a KILLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING update.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 07:53:43 AM »
All great songs, except TDS :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
35. A Fortune in Lies -  :smiley:

34. Scarred - :trainwreck:

33. This Dying Soul - :metal

32. Hell’s Kitchen - :tup

31. The Killing Hand -  :itsatrap:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »
Wait, you don't actually hate AFIL with a passion? It's the only song on WDADU I absolutely despise, incidentally. It's just such a clusterfuck all around.

The other songs are cool, DoC, and it's nice to see some unconventional choices like TDS, even though I don't necessarily agree with them.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »
Wait, you don't actually hate AFIL with a passion? It's the only song on WDADU I absolutely despise, incidentally. It's just such a clusterfuck all around.

It's actually one of my favourites from the album, just behind Afterlife, and Ytse Jam. It still has some minor awkward phrasing and melodies, as the whole album is plagued with, but it's not that bad compared to the rest. And Live at the Marquee. 'Nuff said.
Of course, not even the best of WDADU would have a hope in hell of making my top 50. :lol