Author Topic: American Idol  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
American Idol
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Anyone watch this?

The competition is now getting into voting.

I really can't stand this show, but I always wind up watching it anyway.

Anyway this one kid just got chased off last night for giving a shakey cover of a Genesis song. I guess it's gonna be all Bruno Mars and Rihanna covers from here on out.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: American Idol
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Watch it religiously.  Charlie's song choice was extremely odd.  Coupled with his new look, all of it was just REALLY strange and a little creepy.  Every time he performs, it feels forced.  It feels put-on, like he's hamming it up.  He's like this year's Sanjaya.  Very weird.

Keith Urban is fucking awesome.  Something extremely likeable about that guy.  Funny asides and remarks here and there, knows what the hell he's talking about, musically.  Nicki, I was prepared to hate.  I don't, so much.  She's very irritating with calling everyone "ladybug" and having to start every critique with some drawn out "Hey, pay attention to me" kind of nonsense.  That said, when she gets to offering advice, it's usually fairly sound.  Randy is Randy.  Mariah Carey was a brilliant choice from the set design department.  Not only does she look good, she is classy and offers specific musical critiques that often get right to the nuts and bolts of a song, its key, the notes, the phrasing, or whatever.  It's a very interesting judges' panel.

Still not sure where I stand on the contestants yet.  Clearly some stand out more than others.  Angie Miller is awesome.  I dont know that she'll ever be able to live up to the original song she performed for them a few weeks ago, but she's been excellent in every performance.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
Anyway this one kid just got chased off last night for giving a shakey cover of a Genesis song.
I'm curious, what song? I ask this because I don't watch shows I hate. :neverusethis:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Mama

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:42:14 PM »
I watched religiously for years. After so many bad eliminations by voters and crappy winners I couldn't take it anymore. I quit watching 2 seasons ago and never looked back. No mas!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
It's like any other year, you have the good and the bad, contestant-wise.  Gospel-y types, country types, etc.  No real rock standouts, the likes of Daughtry, Bo Bice, David Cook, etc.

Having Steven Tyler on as a judge for a couple of years really upped the show's street cred, for me.  He was a lot of fun on that show.  But this year's panel of judges is actually quite good. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »
I really feel like the male vocalists this year stink. There's a couple really good ones, but, for the most part, the contest is seriously lacking any actual masculinity. Most of the guys keep singing songs for female vocals.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
Easily my favorite performance so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_bfWa4B3t4

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
Also, 99% of the songs are slow, ballady, sappy songs that are seriously putting me to sleep.  PLEASE sing something that has an ounce of life in it!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
I've been watching this season. I think Keith (when he talks about something other than "connecting with the audience), Nicki, and Randy are actually pretty good as judges. Mariah Carey is completely worthless, though. She dances around the issues, never wants to hurt anyone's feelings, and rarely offers much specific advice. She talks a lot, and ultimately says nothing.

I also agree that the male group is quite weak this season aside from the top few. Charlie deserved all the criticism he got last night. It was a bad performance, and he doesn't have a very good voice to start with.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
Also, 99% of the songs are slow, ballady, sappy songs that are seriously putting me to sleep.  PLEASE sing something that has an ounce of life in it!
That's one reason why I got sick of the show. Same crap every year. They have reinvented themselves periodically with new judges. The format is old and tired. They must think it aint broke but I say its stale.

My bold idea...
I think they should have separate genre categories.Hard Rock, pop rock, country, singer songwriter, crooner, folk, etc...(maybe 3 finalists per genre?)
 You compete to win your individual genre and then the winners become finalists who have to now compete on a level playing field by having to be diverse and cover all genres.
That would be interesting to say the least.
Then the winner gets to record a record that matches the genre they competed in.
Its my thought on changing up the format. It could be tweaked but I think it could work.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »

That's the biggest problem with the show. They can have the most amazing voice but the standard pop ballads are always so boring to watch. If they're going to tone it down at least get creative and play something like "Pyramid Song".

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 07:44:11 PM »

That's the biggest problem with the show. They can have the most amazing voice but the standard pop ballads are always so boring to watch. If they're going to tone it down at least get creative and play something like "Pyramid Song".
There's also the fact the show has basically no singers with any uniqueness whatsoever.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Or the ones that do are labeled too quirky and get voted out. It always amazes me when the judges call this a singing competition first, entertainment second and make comments about people hiding behind their instruments when they want to accompany themselves. It seems the show is still stuck trying to find the next late 90s, studio-only type singer/performer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »
I just watched the Charlie "Mama" performance. IMHO, the kid shouldn't be in that competition at all. He has a unique voice that would work excellently for something like prog. For this lukewarm pop it just sounds thin and weird.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
Curtis being voted off already is an absolute disgrace. In my opinion, he was the most talented male in the competition.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
Oh my God, Lazaro is horrible anymore. He's only still around out of sympathy voting anymore. Ouch.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »
Holy crap.  I did NOT see that coming.  Kree is good, but there's no way in hell she deserves to be there over Angie.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
Holy crap.  I did NOT see that coming.  Kree is good, but there's no way in hell she deserves to be there over Angie.
Agreed. That's just the country fans showing off their voting power.