Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161980 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
I didn't like that one guy

what was his name

adama?

:neverusethis:

No, really, noone sticks out in my head as being someone I disliked. Some people were...less cool, but I didn't DISLIKE anyone.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
Characters I don't like:

Lee
Kara
Chief (post-season 2)
Tigh (post-season 3)
Roslin (post-season 3)
Tory

Characters I loathe:

Sharon/#8s
Cally
Helo

Best characters:
Gaeta
Adama
Roslin (Seasons 1-3)
Dualla
Zarek (Seasons 1-3)
Baltar (Seasons 1-3)
Tigh (Season 1-3)
Cain
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
Ugh, now I realize, I HATED Zarek and Gaeta. Those guys were fucking shitheads. "Wah wah we have to work to stay alive we shouldn't have to work" "Well, if you don't work, every fucking human being alive will die" "Wah who cares lets have a rebellion"

...my name is Araragi.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
Gaeta was an amazing character, you weren't supposed to root for him near the end there. Same with Zarek, he served his purpose and was pure evil.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
I'm not saying they were poorly written or bad characters, I'm just saying I disliked them as people.

Edit: Although, their motivations for the little rebellion at the end were pretty lame. People aren't getting paid? Who gives a shit? Your civilization has been destroyed! There's nothing to buy! Your money has no value!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2010, 11:02:52 PM »
All this makes sense to me, except GuineaPig's posts which seems to be about a different show, perhaps Mad About You heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »
I'm not saying they were poorly written or bad characters, I'm just saying I disliked them as people.

Edit: Although, their motivations for the little rebellion at the end were pretty lame. People aren't getting paid? Who gives a shit? Your civilization has been destroyed! There's nothing to buy! Your money has no value!

It wasn't so much about wages if I recall correctly. It was basically groups of people being forced into constant hard labor with no benefits while others do much less and enjoy nicer lives.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »
But if I recall correctly, they were the only people who were trained to do it. Obviously, they could have trained more people, but it certainly wasn't grounds for a military coup.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Adami

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
But if I recall correctly, they were the only people who were trained to do it. Obviously, they could have trained more people, but it certainly wasn't grounds for a military coup.

They were lead to it by an ego maniac who just wanted power. They were angry and desperate and supported someone who seemed to want to want to fight for them.

Seriously, when Zarek....took care....of the committy or whatever they were, I was just left jaw dropped.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
The reason I specified Zarek as a good character from seasons 1-3 was that he was immediately reverted back into a cartoonish villain after an effective character arc that established him as a complex and multifaceted person.

And I somewhat rooted for Gaeta near the end.  I think his grounds for launching a coup against Adama were for the most part well founded.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »
When was Zarek ever multi-faceted? Right from the beginning, Zarek was pretty much opposed to the government BECAUSE they were the government. He's like an american :neverusethis:

...my name is Araragi.

Online Adami

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2010, 11:29:27 PM »
Exactly, the only "depth" Ron Paul, I mean Zarek ever got was when he pretended to be a good person in order to get power. As soon as he got what he wanted he went insane. He was never not insane, he was just smart.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »
Callie anyone? She was cute as shaved cunt.
As posted in the sci-fi series thread:

the girl who plays Cally is really cute.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

:heart

Also, Helo is awesome. In fact, there are simply no bad characters in this show. It seems to me that anyone disliking any character is kinda missing the point, although I only realised that once I finished watching the whole thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2010, 12:54:04 AM »
Ariich, I'm liking you more each day.

I can't find a single weak character on the show. In fact, I can barely think of any weak moments, although one pops in my head. The last episode, the whole thing with boomer "owing one" to Adama. Just seemed random and forced.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2010, 02:26:06 AM »
:tup

Yeah, there is the occasional weaker moment, but no show will ever be perfect. Every now and then there's a slightly cheesy moment, or a very minor inconsistency, but frankly these are so small and far between that they're entirely insignificant.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2010, 02:28:01 AM »
The only bad thing about BSG I can think of is that anytime I watch a show that's dramatic, I think to myself "this will never be as good as battlestar, damn you guys for raising the bar so damn high". Though I gotta give props to SGU for really trying to reach that level, failing but coming close enough to be respected.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2010, 04:36:21 AM »
I haven't really respected Stargate since the eighth season of SG-1.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:13 AM »
Wow, I am shocked at the level of fanboyism for Battlestar.  I love the show, it's in my top 5, and is satisfying to watch in a way that is unlike any other TV show I know, but Jesus Christ.  There are no bad characters?  It's the perfect drama?  C'mon.

A lot of the characters in my mind are very poorly written simply because it seems the producers thought that good characters = no character flaws, and that bad characters = people who are mean for no reason.  That's why characters like Helo, Lee, Sharon, 4th season Zarek, etc. bore me to tears; they're completely unrealistic, and as lifeless and thin as the paper their characters were created on.  Hell, even the "character flaws" that inhibit some of the major characters like alcoholism (Kara and Tigh) are treated as lovable quirks rather than destructive defects, and Adama's main character flaw is literally that he is too nice. 

The best characters and best episodes were, imo, a result of the best writers on the show, like Anne Cofell Saunders.  When it was down to people like Mark Verheiden or *shudders* Michael Angeli (who I hold responsible for much of the utter shit that season 4 is), things came across as tepid and dull.  I'm unsure of how much I want to credit to Ronald D. Moore, because although he created the concept and the re-envisioning of much of the characters, I felt he was also responsible for the lack of a clear direction (oh my god season 4) and the overall poor character design, whereas the better writers were responsible for the best parts of the show.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2010, 05:28:15 AM »
Just started trying go get into it, and currently watching the miniseries.

God, this is boring. I need as much encouragement as possible to get through the miniseries. I've begun watching it in like... 20 minute increments... because I'm utterly bored by what I'm watching and have to turn it off.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2010, 06:00:24 AM »
Just started trying go get into it, and currently watching the miniseries.

God, this is boring. I need as much encouragement as possible to get through the miniseries. I've begun watching it in like... 20 minute increments... because I'm utterly bored by what I'm watching and have to turn it off.

Dude, I could've made that very post earlier in this thread cause that's exactly how I felt but I didn't wanna annoy the hardcore fans here, but dude that's exactly -word for word- how I felt when I started out, I even did the 20 minute increments thing, it's uncanny how your post applies to me when I started out.
I know the miniseries are long and it moves incredibly slow, but once that's over and you get into the seasons it will be so different, I promise you it will be fun, don't miss out on this cause this is as not-nerdy as a sci-fi show involving space battles can ever get.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »
GuineaPig: are you talking about the same show? Every single character has tons of flaws, and none are truly evil. To me that's one the most important underlying themes and part of what makes the show so great.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
Also "lack of clear direction"?! Wtf were you on when you were watching it? :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »
Just dropping by to say BSG is probably the best TV show I've watched.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »
GuineaPig: are you talking about the same show? Every single character has tons of flaws, and none are truly evil. To me that's one the most important underlying themes and part of what makes the show so great.

What?  Name a character flaw for Helo or Sharon.  They always do the "right" thing and it drives me nuts.  The characters are not multi-faceted by any stretch of the imagination.  And I don't think character flaws are an important theme in the show at all.  Flaws as a species Moore is quick to point out, but those never seem to be reflected in the "good" characters.

Also "lack of clear direction"?! Wtf were you on when you were watching it? :lol

Jesus Christ.  How can you be blind to this?  So much of the show was retconned, and so much stuff was introduced with no clear aim.  Moore frequently discussed in commentaries purposely setting up things that he had not thought of an ending for and going from there.  Particularly in regards to Adama being shot, the occupation of New Caprica, Starbuck's death (pretty much every season finale), Hera, the Opera House, etc.  And the problem when you set up a mythological plot line that you don't have an idea of how to close, it ends up being retarded in the end.  C'mon, how did you not think when watching the finale "They just pulled it out of their ass!"  The Opera House vision was to direct Hera down a hallway.  BIG FUCKING deal.  The first Earth they found was a fake Earth, and don't worry, there's a real one over here!  They don't find Earth either, they just convert a song into space-time coordinates somehow and it takes them there!  Kara wasn't alive or a Cylon, she was just an ANGEL! And so was Baltar's head 6!  Because how can we retcon all the stuff we've already established?  And the real reason Hera's so important?  Because she's a massive whore and fucks the entire human population!  And all this is really a metaphor about how machines are bad and stuff, and science too.  Because civilization sucks.  That sort of approach (throwing things up in the air, coming up with the fallout later) works well with realistic events (re: Season 1 finale) where it might even help to evoke the feeling of a panicked and rushed response to a crisis.  But when it's a mythological element that you've beaten into the audience's head for half the goddamn series, you have to plan how to end it or else it's gonna come off real lame.  Which they did, and is why the finale sucked so much.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »
You people are nuts, Tigh and Baltar were the best characters throughout the series!  Billy was a favourite side character of mine in the early going, too.

Someone mentioned Helo had no flaws, which I really disagree with.  He was too rigid in his thinking of right and wrong.  That's a terrible flaw as he's going to cause far too many largely undecidable inner conflicts with himself, leading to arbitrary decisions that he doesn't seem to understand where he is wrong.  I can't remember exactly, but I always had the impression his character was in this type of jam regularly, ie not knowing what is right, but then fully, and essentially blindly, committing to what he decided was right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »
What?  Name a character flaw for Helo or Sharon.  They always do the "right" thing and it drives me nuts.
Seriously? Helo, while always having good intentions, is incredibly stubborn and very short-sighted. And Sharon is often extremely selfish, disregarding what other people think (even Helo) and pursuing her own agenda.

The characters are not multi-faceted by any stretch of the imagination.  And I don't think character flaws are an important theme in the show at all.  Flaws as a species Moore is quick to point out, but those never seem to be reflected in the "good" characters.
I couldn't disagree more, name any character in the show and I could pick out a couple of obvious flaws in their personality. The range and variation of these flaws has always to me made the show very believable in terms of the characters.

Regarding your other paragraph, there is a lot to respond to, but I'd like to make an overall point: the underlying theme of your resentment towards the end of the show seems to stem from the fact that not every single thing was explained. And for some reason, you seem to think that means that nothing was thought through, but I am completely unable to follow the logic here and can only assume you are used to straightforward shows where everything has a sensible explanation at the end. Plus, if every detail had been explained in full it would have made for an incredibly dull finale. I absolutely love the fact that, while all the characters' stories are resolved, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and gives the viewer a chance to use their imagination.

Now to respond to some individual points. THOSE WHO WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS, STOP READING NOW:

And the problem when you set up a mythological plot line that you don't have an idea of how to close, it ends up being retarded in the end.
First of all, you are basing this on the assumption that Moore was making it up as he went along, which is a pretty huge assumption and one I entirely disagree with. Of course there will have been big specifics he won't have known from the beginning (as is the case with literally all TV shows, because you don't know how many series will be commissioned, whether you can get all the actors back, etc), but the overall direction is completely consistent throughout the four series.

Second of all, what do you even mean by "close"? As I've said, all the plot lines were resolved, but it left questions unanswered, which is infinitely more interesting than "it turns out there are gods" or "no gods I'm afraid, here's a perfectly sensible scientific explanation".

C'mon, how did you not think when watching the finale "They just pulled it out of their ass!"
Not even slightly.

The Opera House vision was to direct Hera down a hallway.  BIG FUCKING deal.
What a randomly bizarre thing to get worked up about.

The first Earth they found was a fake Earth, and don't worry, there's a real one over here!
Um, no the first one they found was their real Earth and 13th colony. But it was destroyed and uninhabitable.

They don't find Earth either, they just convert a song into space-time coordinates somehow and it takes them there!
Again, I don't see why this is a flaw, I thought it was a pretty nifty idea.

Kara wasn't alive or a Cylon, she was just an ANGEL! And so was Baltar's head 6!
That is the implication yes, but the details are left very open. The visions of Baltar and 6 in the other one's head are one thing, but Kara was a physical reality. Clearly you wanted some logical scientific explanation, but as I've said, that would have ultimately been incredibly dull and anti-climactic.

Because how can we retcon all the stuff we've already established?  And the real reason Hera's so important?  Because she's a massive whore and fucks the entire human population!
:lol Wut? Now you're just making things up.

And all this is really a metaphor about how machines are bad and stuff, and science too.  Because civilization sucks.[/size] 
How do you figure that? That's literally the opposite to my understanding of it. 

But when it's a mythological element that you've beaten into the audience's head for half the goddamn series, you have to plan how to end it or else it's gonna come off real lame.  Which they did, and is why the finale sucked so much.
Again, you're making huge accusations that I entirely disagree with.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »
I always wanted Zarek to turn good eventually. Oh well, they got what they deserved.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »
Zarek had his turns at good, but that's just good as in  being on the side the show cast its light from as the establishment in the show was not terribly righteous through and through.  From his perspective, and that of others, he was a hero fighting for good.  We mostly just shown the perspective that he was a terrorist, but from much of his colony's perspective he was a leader trying to fight off virtual enslavement by the other 11.

His methods you could argue as evil, but I think his character isn't necessarily just evil.  That helps make him a great character, easy to loathe yet easy to sympathize with.  Probably also the reason people commonly seem to hope he would become one of the 'good' crew.

Online Adami

« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »
Zarek had his turns at good, but that's just good as in  being on the side the show cast its light from as the establishment in the show was not terribly righteous through and through.  From his perspective, and that of others, he was a hero fighting for good.  We mostly just shown the perspective that he was a terrorist, but from much of his colony's perspective he was a leader trying to fight off virtual enslavement by the other 11.

His methods you could argue as evil, but I think his character isn't necessarily just evil.  That helps make him a great character, easy to loathe yet easy to sympathize with.  Probably also the reason people commonly seem to hope he would become one of the 'good' crew.

When he deals with the senate or whatever it's called, not too sure how else you argue with that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
In the end of the series?  I'm not talking about one event, most of his actions in the series weren't quite that blatant.  That was his all or nothing stand after the character had long since been developed and well known by viewers.

Besides, I'm not saying the things he did weren't terrible, but that the things he did he believed were justifiable for the ends they could bring forth.  His actions were often just cold calculations aimed at the end results he thought were best.  He was portrayed as understanding that what he was doing was terrible.

Online Adami

« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »
In the end of the series?  I'm not talking about one event, most of his actions in the series weren't quite that blatant.  That was his all or nothing stand after the character had long since been developed and well known by viewers.

Besides, I'm not saying the things he did weren't terrible, but that the things he did he believed were justifiable for the ends they could bring forth.  His actions were often just cold calculations aimed at the end results he thought were best.  He was portrayed as understanding that what he was doing was terrible.

Yes, however his end result was to get more power. Despite how much he tried to dress it up as being "for the people".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2010, 08:01:25 PM »
I think it is a little up in the air if he simply wanted power in the end or just felt that if he didn't do it nobody would.  If grasping power himself was the only way to achieve his goals at that point, which is arguably true, then it isn't necessarily motivated by lust for power.  Prior to that he seemed more interested in having control over the power rather than simply being the power, which made his last stand seem a little bit more like desperate last attempt at restoring order instead of just a power grab.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »
This is going to take a long time to address, but whatever.  Massive quote pyramid ftw.

What?  Name a character flaw for Helo or Sharon.  They always do the "right" thing and it drives me nuts.
Seriously? Helo, while always having good intentions, is incredibly stubborn and very short-sighted. And Sharon is often extremely selfish, disregarding what other people think (even Helo) and pursuing her own agenda.

The characters are not multi-faceted by any stretch of the imagination.  And I don't think character flaws are an important theme in the show at all.  Flaws as a species Moore is quick to point out, but those never seem to be reflected in the "good" characters.
I couldn't disagree more, name any character in the show and I could pick out a couple of obvious flaws in their personality. The range and variation of these flaws has always to me made the show very believable in terms of the characters.

Regarding your other paragraph, there is a lot to respond to, but I'd like to make an overall point: the underlying theme of your resentment towards the end of the show seems to stem from the fact that not every single thing was explained. And for some reason, you seem to think that means that nothing was thought through, but I am completely unable to follow the logic here and can only assume you are used to straightforward shows where everything has a sensible explanation at the end. Plus, if every detail had been explained in full it would have made for an incredibly dull finale. I absolutely love the fact that, while all the characters' stories are resolved, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and gives the viewer a chance to use their imagination.

Helo is stubborn, true, but that's not a real character flaw, it's a trait.  Especially considering he's a stubborn paragon of virtue.  Sharon can be selfish, yes, but that is still not a significant character flaw.  That's not what it takes to make a well-rounded, complex character.  Virtually everyone is selfish.  And mostly she seems to be selfish concerning her own survival and that of her child's.  Can't really call that a flaw.
Now to respond to some individual points. THOSE WHO WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS, STOP READING NOW:

And the problem when you set up a mythological plot line that you don't have an idea of how to close, it ends up being retarded in the end.
First of all, you are basing this on the assumption that Moore was making it up as he went along, which is a pretty huge assumption and one I entirely disagree with. Of course there will have been big specifics he won't have known from the beginning (as is the case with literally all TV shows, because you don't know how many series will be commissioned, whether you can get all the actors back, etc), but the overall direction is completely consistent throughout the four series.

Second of all, what do you even mean by "close"? As I've said, all the plot lines were resolved, but it left questions unanswered, which is infinitely more interesting than "it turns out there are gods" or "no gods I'm afraid, here's a perfectly sensible scientific explanation".

It's not a huge assumption.  It's not even an assumption at all.  Listen to the commentaries or podcasts he did (on the DVDs, and really an excellent feature because audio commentaries are wonderful at providing insight to the creative process of a series), or read some interviews: he liked to toss things up in the air and pick them up later.  He cites a number of both included and not-created plotlines over the years that he more or less started because he thought they could be interesting, and then would just finish later.  For example, in the first interview I found with Moore, he said (on the "make up on the fly" nature of the show): " I do feel good that the process I always believed in and really defended -- about feeling the story instinctively as you go through it, and not being tied to, "Oh, we know exactly how it's going to end up" -- that that was true. We were able to get there and could say, "We've been making this mosaic, and now we just need to put the final touches on it and we'll have a complete picture." There's loose threads and things that don't quite work, but I think that's in the nature of almost any show."

And I don't really feel that the direction was consistent through the four seasons.  The first two seasons were more or less a traditional drama set in space with some action.  Season 3 started introducing more mythological stuff, and by season 4 it was Lost in space.

As to my comment on knowing how to close, I'm talking about knowing how a certain plot line will end when you start it.  Now, this is not necessary, I think, provided the plot is a realistic one that can be closed off by a realistic conclusion that would not need to be planned in advance.  For example, Adama getting shot or the Cylons taking over New Caprica are both events where the plot does not necessarily need to be planned out beforehand because it's fairly easy to craft a comprehensible and realistic plot out of them.  But when you have a shared dream sequence/prophecy plot in your show that takes up a good chunk of 4 seasons, you need to have a good idea how to close it or else it's going to feel weak.  That the whole significance of the Opera House was to lead Hera down a hallway into the CIC was incredibly, incredibly weak, and feels to me that it was just tied off at the last moment.

As for the resolutions, it was not that it left questions unanswered that made it weak.  It was that the few answers it gave were retarded.  I loved the Sopranos finale.  But the Battlestar finale I hated because: 1. It gave extraordinarily unsatisfying endings to some of the characters (Kara, Chief, Lee, MOTHERFUCKING CAVIL SHOOTS HIMSELF, Tigh) 2. It made no goddamn sense (angels? Deus ex machina? People want to farm 140,000 years before crops are domesticated?) 3. It was a catastrophically poor send-off to a show I had loved for two season, really liked for another, and tolerated for the last, and 4. It included a disingenuous, undeserved, subversive and frankly hypocritical shot at where humanity has made it to.
The Opera House vision was to direct Hera down a hallway.  BIG FUCKING deal.
What a randomly bizarre thing to get worked up about.

I explained above why I was pissed about it.  It was built up to be such a huge thing, so much was devoted to it, they ruined a good chunk of the season 3 finale for it, and it turned out to be the equivalent of a direction marker in a hallway.  Pretty emblematic about a lot of the problems I had with the plots in season 3 and 4.
The first Earth they found was a fake Earth, and don't worry, there's a real one over here!
Um, no the first one they found was their real Earth and 13th colony. But it was destroyed and uninhabitable.

Yeah, you're right.  But I still think it reeked of deus ex machina and was completely unsatisfying.  The thing they had been questing for for 4 seasons turned out to be destroyed; I thought my faith was renewed in the show.  But then they magically jump away perfectly to an ideal replacement because of a song or something.  >:(
Kara wasn't alive or a Cylon, she was just an ANGEL! And so was Baltar's head 6!
That is the implication yes, but the details are left very open. The visions of Baltar and 6 in the other one's head are one thing, but Kara was a physical reality. Clearly you wanted some logical scientific explanation, but as I've said, that would have ultimately been incredibly dull and anti-climactic.

I wanted something, anything.  I'm OK with some of the questions being unanswered, but it went full retard by just not giving anything.  Such a cop-out.  My roommate literally couldn't stop laughing at this scene when he watched it the first time, it was so ludicrous.  A central figure comes back from the dead, does a whole bunch of stuff, single handedly drives the plot forward, and then disappears into thin air at the end without an explanation?  Give me a break.  Some things demand some form of explanation, because it reeks of an unresolvable tangent.
Because how can we retcon all the stuff we've already established?  And the real reason Hera's so important?  Because she's a massive whore and fucks the entire human population!
:lol Wut? Now you're just making things up.

Well, I'm not really.  ;D  See, at the end, you can hear the news describing the discovery of an "Eve" i.e., a human all present day humans are direct descendants of, and that it's Hera (or at least that's the clear implication).  Which, considering there were 40,000 humans still alive at the end of the show means that the entire human population was either wittled down to a few people, everyone else was infertile, or...  :o

What it really was was another attempt to retcon meaning; i.e. everyone's spent the last 2 and a half seasons saying how important this kid is, so how do we make her significant considering the only plot she's influenced is about 6 Amber Alert situations?  Oh right! Display our vast knowledge of genetics by making her the direct ancestor of every modern human!

But yeah, I was at least happy in the knowledge that all my least favourite characters would die of starvation and famine.  Because all the people who want to farm will discover that there's gonna be a long, long wait until crop domestication with a couple ice ages in between!  And they're completely unprepared for life in the wild!

tl;dr: RAGE

Online Adami

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
I feel like I'm talking to InTheNameOfGod about Lost.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
Me?