Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161971 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1330 on: July 14, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
So...has anyone seen this show?  Is it any good?  Worth watching?

If you like dark and outright brutal. I think it's brilliant but it's definitely not for everyone. Very little levity or lightness. You also have to have an open mind about the showing having a spiritual element.
Um...I know.  :p  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=361.msg1317583#msg1317583

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And going WAY back, this caught my attention:
Also, I have to ask, why do you think Boomer might not be a Cylon?

Legimately?  No good reason whatsoever.  Emotionally?  They just can't do that to such a good character, so I refuse to buy into it full-on until it is just inescapable.
Watching that final scene of the miniseries wasn't inescapable enough??

Well, yeah, but keep in mind two things:  (1) Try to erase everything you know about the show from your mind and pretend that the ONLY thing you have seen is the pilot.  It isn't entirely clear at that point exactly what the skin jobs are.  Even Six's comment to Baltar (and his note to Adama) about how many models and many copies, it still isn't entirely clear what that means.  And are the models copies of actual people?  At that early stage in the show, that isn't really ruled out.  Coming in with a background from the original series, it could very well be that the Cylons are led by a supreme leader, and that he made the skin jobs as copies of real people to be infiltrator units.  We just don't know.  And if it is true, Boomer could be a real person, with the other Eights being the Cylon copies. 
2.  It isn't entirely clear at that stage in the show just how much they are going to deviate from the original characters.  Yeah, Starbuck is a woman, and Apollo and Adama are estranged.  But that still isn't such a HUGE departure from the original characters as Boomer being a Cylon.  So just on an emotional level, that is a hard leap to accept. 

Of course, it isn't long before we KNOW.  And the answers make sense.  But in the context of only having whatever knowledge the pilot revealed, other theories made sense at the time as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As much as I generally hate to see people leave the forum, I am SO glad GuineaPig doesn't post anymore.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1332 on: February 08, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/battlestar-galacticas-richard-hatch-dead-234924852.html

:(

Yeah, I seen that this morning on facebook. I wasn't aware that he was ill until I seen that he had passed away. God Speed!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1333 on: January 09, 2018, 12:41:53 AM »
RIP Donnelly Rhodes. Doc Cottle was my favorite side character in this show. The man was a great actor.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1334 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
I don't know him outside of this show (at least, not that I recall).  But he was REALLY good in this role and brought a lot to the show. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1335 on: February 19, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Gonna do another run through on this show since it's all on Amazon Prime. Working on the miniseries now, forgot how well done it was.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1336 on: February 20, 2018, 09:15:18 AM »
I have wanted to.  But it is such a huge undertaking that I can't seem to make it a high enough priority to dedicate that much time to it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1337 on: February 20, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
I usually watch the entire series all the way through about every year to year and a half. It's probably become my favorite show of all time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1338 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Took advantage of a lazy day in the middle of five off to knock out S1, now I can cruise through the other three at a leisurely pace and enjoy them. It's just amazing television, and I'm right with you PowerSlave that it might be my favorite as well.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1339 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:35 PM »
Starting in on S4, and this series still holds up as my favorite ever.

Just watched the scene where Anders shoots Gaeta in the leg, fuck is that a cringe-worthy one man.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1340 on: March 01, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
Aaaand finished. The last six or seven episodes are television perfection, say from the moment the mutiny ends on. Just perfect.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1341 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
Aaaand finished. The last six or seven episodes are television perfection, say from the moment the mutiny ends on. Just perfect.

You really went through that fairly quickly. It usually takes me a month, or more.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1342 on: March 01, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
Yeah, work has been really slow, and I've only been getting two or so days a week, so I had tons of spare time to kill.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1343 on: May 23, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
Is this show worth the investment? I'm talking about the 'new' one....not the original? I've been thinking of watching it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1344 on: May 23, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »
Is this show worth the investment? I'm talking about the 'new' one....not the original? I've been thinking of watching it.
DO IT.

DO IT NOW.

And post in here frequently so we can all relive the wonderful journey of watching it that first time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1345 on: May 23, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
I feel confident in saying it's the best television ever made, and set the standard for many shows that followed. As I said in my post above, the ending is near perfection.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: May 23, 2019, 10:43:01 AM »
I’ve heard all I need to hear.  :tup

Been looking for a good one to get into and I love Sci fi....I missed the boat on this one when it hit years ago so it’s good to get the positive feedback on the series. Thanks fellas.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1347 on: May 23, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
I feel confident in saying it's the best television ever made, and set the standard for many shows that followed. As I said in my post above, the ending is near perfection.
Same. The build-up of the show from the mini-series right-through to the end and the emotional and conceptual pay-offs are just amazing and I'm not sure I can see how any show could ever top it for me.

That reminds me G, if you watch it then make sure you watch the 2-part mini-series first before the main show (the first episode of the main show is called "33", but it follows pretty much directly on from the mini-series).

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1349 on: May 23, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
Same. The build-up of the show from the mini-series right-through to the end and the emotional and conceptual pay-offs are just amazing and I'm not sure I can see how any show could ever top it for me.

That reminds me G, if you watch it then make sure you watch the 2-part mini-series first before the main show (the first episode of the main show is called "33", but it follows pretty much directly on from the mini-series).

This.  And watch them in release order.  That is how it is meant to be watched, and there are GOOD reasons.  Don't skip episodes, don't watch them out of order, and DON'T do any Internet sleuthing or you may very likely stumble upon things you don't want to know for wherever you are in the story.

EDIT:  And in case you don't know--it isn't for kids.  You'll figure that out pretty quickly a few episodes in.

Online Adami

« Reply #1350 on: May 23, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
I always want to do a big rewatch but I am never sure I have the time and energy to dedicate since this is not a light show to have in the background.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1351 on: May 23, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
Same Adami. Going back a page or two in this thread, I was talking about maybe doing a 4th watch at some point back in a 2015. Not done it yet! Maybe over the summer though as there's generally less new stuff on and I'm definitely craving it.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1352 on: May 23, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
Same Adami. Going back a page or two in this thread, I was talking about maybe doing a 4th watch at some point back in a 2015. Not done it yet! Maybe over the summer though as there's generally less new stuff on and I'm definitely craving it.

Yea. I'll be moving to New York in early August, but won't start work til the 19th. Maybe I can do it then.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: May 23, 2019, 12:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on watching the mini series first fellas. I’m planning on firing this up tonight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1354 on: May 23, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
:caffeine:

"Living my own life by learning from you"

:lol  The miniseries is 3 hours, so you may not get past that just tonight.  But I WILL be following...

Gary, did you watch the original at all back in the day?  There are some nice callbacks in the miniseries, and then every so often in the episodes that follow.  I won't say any more than that.  But if you saw the original, you'll spot some cool things.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: May 23, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »
Gary, did you watch the original at all back in the day?  There are some nice callbacks in the miniseries, and then every so often in the episodes that follow.  I won't say any more than that.  But if you saw the original, you'll spot some cool things.

I did not. I was hoping that wouldn't ruin anything....only be 'cool' if you knew about it or not.

The miniseries is 3 hours, so you may not get past that just tonight.

Have you seen my posting history when it comes to watching shows  :lol  If I can get on this by 10-10:30 tonight there's a chance I'll just go ahead and hammer it out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1356 on: May 23, 2019, 12:31:20 PM »

I did not. I was hoping that wouldn't ruin anything....only be 'cool' if you knew about it or not. 

Yeah, that's exactly it.  It isn't a continuation or anything.  It's a complete reimagining of the story that, in many ways, is very different.  But just come cool nuggets dropped here and there, such as the original 1980s music theme being used for a particular moment during the miniseries.  Stuff like that.

The miniseries is 3 hours, so you may not get past that just tonight.

Have you seen my posting history when it comes to watching shows  :lol  If I can get on this by 10-10:30 tonight there's a chance I'll just go ahead and hammer it out.

It's pretty addicting, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a few marathons that go longer than you may have initially planned.  :lol 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: May 23, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
I remember having to watch the first episode of the mini series twice, I didn't connect on the first watch, gave some time and rewathed and then it connected and I went on to enjoy the whole show.  It's a good one.  I hardly remember anything about it though.  Would be cool to rewatch, maybe one day.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1358 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
Now's the time.  Let's all do it together!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1359 on: May 23, 2019, 04:09:45 PM »
Now's the time.  Let's all do it together!
You know, you might be right. Maybe now is the time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1360 on: May 23, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
All Along the Watchtower just came up on my playlist, so it's a sign.  The universe hath spoken.

Online Adami

« Reply #1361 on: May 23, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
So say we all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1362 on: May 23, 2019, 05:26:03 PM »
:sosayweall:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: May 24, 2019, 12:36:09 AM »
Boom! And the mini series is knocked out. Safe to say I’m hooked....very cool stuff and I can’t wait to dive in to the seasons.

Loved the final scene reveal of ‘who’ the Cylons were. I was curious as to if they’d picked the wrong guy......I’m still not sure where that Dr. who has the hot Cylon in his mind loyalties lie yet? In one moment he seems to want to help the humans....the next he appears to be seduced.

Anyway....I’m sure I’ll have more to talk about as I keep watching but I guess I should go to bed now...its 1:35 am  :lol 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1364 on: May 24, 2019, 01:59:53 AM »
I've been trying to talk my brother into watching this show for many years, and he finally started the series a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, that means that he has my dvd's, so I won't be able to join you guys in a "watch party", but I'll keep my eyes on the thread and try to follow along from memory.