Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 164805 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1295 on: November 13, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
Big reveal coming up tonight.  That's all I'll say.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1296 on: November 14, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
Holy shit.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1297 on: November 14, 2013, 01:30:26 PM »
The timing of the reveal that Bosk is talking about was pretty much forced by the writer's strike when season four was in production: there was a very real chance that the second half of the series, if the strike had gone on too long, would have been never produced. For a time, that episode was actually being considered a provisional series finale. So it could have been much, much WORSE. Thankfully it wasn't.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1298 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
Yea, it did seem like a lot of information about all kinds of mysteries on the show were delivered in just that one episode. So much stuff from the dead people on Earth being cylons along with strange centurions, in addition to finding Kara's viper and body. Apparently she must be death, or something. That's at least my thought on the subject. Really interesting that Earth was nuked 2,000 years ago. I wonder how that came about.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1299 on: November 15, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
Just finished The Oath. I'm really excited to see how this whole rebel thing develops. Very interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1300 on: November 15, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
Oh, cool.  Things are now more or less racing toward the conclusion, although it may not seem like it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1301 on: November 15, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
Yea, I've been wondering how they're going to come to a conclusion in the series since I'm so close to the end. Only ~7 episodes left and still a lot to be answered.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1302 on: November 15, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
I think I said this before, but to remind you: Not every question will be answered. Plenty is left to your own interpretation.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1303 on: November 24, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »
Going to finish the last 5 episodes today. Starting with "Someone To Watch Over Me." I have heard from multiple people that the ending doesn't necessarily answer all the looming questions, but can I expect some crazy shit to go down?

Also, is there any other series-related material that should be watched? I keep hearing about something called "The Plan," but I don't remember necessarily watching an episode with that name.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1304 on: November 24, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
Just finished up the series and wow, that was cool. What a great series!

What in the hell was Kara really?!

Also, that was a great tie-in to say that we essentially descended from the people from the 12 colonies interbreeding with the natives on the planet "Earth." That's interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1305 on: November 25, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Going to finish the last 5 episodes today. Starting with "Someone To Watch Over Me." I have heard from multiple people that the ending doesn't necessarily answer all the looming questions, but can I expect some crazy shit to go down?

Uh...yes!  But you now know, so...  :biggrin:

Also, is there any other series-related material that should be watched? I keep hearing about something called "The Plan," but I don't remember necessarily watching an episode with that name.

Yeah, there is some other cool stuff.  You already watched Razor, correct?  A few more things:

The Plan:  This is another movie that was created after the fact.  Remember toward the end of season 2 when they first discovered that Cavill was a Cylon and flushed Caprica Cavill and Galactica Cavill out of the airlock together?  The Plan re-tells the story from just before the attack on the colonies up through flushing the two Cavills out of the airlock, and tells it from the perspective of the two Cavills.  It is pretty interesting how it is done.  Again, it is the same story, but is told from a different perspective.  Basically, you get to see how the two Cavill copies developed different views toward humanity through their experiences interacting with the humans through that time period.  The way it is put together is also interesting.  They use a lot of existing scenes and cut those together with some new footage, so it is an interesting mix of new and old that just puts a little different spin on things.  I recommend it.  But just don't go into it thinking it will answer a lot of big questions.  It doesn't.  And it doesn't try to.

The Resistance:  A web-based series bridging seasons 2 and 3.  Not bad.  Not "must see," but I thought it was cool.

The Face of the Enemy:  A series of webisodes to bridge the gap between the two halves of Season 4, focusing on Felix Gaeta and an Eight ("Sweet Eight").  Sheds a bit of light on some things that happened on New Caprica, and adds some context for Gaeta's post-New Caprica interactions with Baltar and his motivation for his involvement in the mutiny.  But all in all, the new insight these webisodes gave was unsatisfying.  I honestly felt that this took away from my enjoyment rather than enhancing it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1306 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
That's awesome. I may check some of that out. The real burning question I still have is that I'm wondering what the hell Kara actually is, besides the label, "harbringer of death," she was hit with after her "death." Fantastic series. I already recommended it to a few friends of mine.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1307 on: November 25, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »
The real burning question I still have is that I'm wondering what the hell Kara actually is, besides the label, "harbringer of death," she was hit with after her "death."

I think what is fairly clear is that she is something akin to an angel, like Head Six and Head Baltar, sent to guide the Colonials and Cylons.  Beyond that, would it actually help to know anything more specific?  Personally, I don't think it would.  I am kind of glad it is open to speculation.  That is as it should be, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:04:27 PM by bosk1 »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1308 on: November 25, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
Yea, that's true. She's called an Angel and also called a harbringer of death. So, it makes it...interesting, to say the least. Very cool, though.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #1309 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »
I've just started rewatching all of bsg. First time around I wasn't able to get hold of the mini series or the feature length ones, so there is still some new stuff for me on turn 2. Already watched miniseries and 33, I'm really getting into it again...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1310 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:40 AM »
I've been rewatching it all as well. Just finished series one, I'd totally forgotten what happened at the end of that last episode :o

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #1311 on: December 17, 2013, 07:43:57 AM »
I've left it a good amount of time between watches, I can't really remember what happens in most episodes, so there are still some good little surprises!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1312 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
Definitely, I've only seen the whole thing once through anyway and tend to have a pretty bad memory for tv shows, so a lot of it is like watching it for the first time  :)

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #1313 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:58 AM »
Hooray for having a head like a sieve!
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1314 on: December 18, 2013, 03:26:53 AM »
It has it's advantages sometimes  ;D

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #1315 on: December 21, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
Just watched a great episode, featuring the best line of the whole show

"no more mr. nice Gaius"

I cracked up so much!
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1316 on: December 22, 2013, 05:39:53 AM »
I love that line  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1317 on: December 22, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
Gaius is such a great character, in so many ways. :lol

His is the most interesting story arc in the whole show.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1318 on: December 22, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »
I concur. Gaius was always one of my favorite characters.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #1319 on: December 22, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »
Yeah he is just such a jammy bastard, always ends up getting away with everything!
<br />

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1320 on: December 22, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
As I watched the series as it aired, Baltar was my least favorite character not named Starbuck. (She always rubbed me wrong, and that hasn't changed.) When I got the entire series on DVD and rewatched it, he became my favorite. His arc is just so amazing when you watch it in a row, it really works better.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #1321 on: December 23, 2013, 07:33:53 AM »
I can't stop noticing the water bottles I used to have on my bike EVERYWHERE in BSG this time round

available for a mere Ł4. Worrying to know that when civilsation is forced to flee into space they will kit the ship out from halfords...
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_385203_langId_-1_categoryId_273925
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1322 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
 :lol I'm gonna start noticing them now

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #1323 on: January 07, 2014, 04:57:48 AM »
Currently at the "God Tigh is so weak, and Ellen is such a bitch" stage in S2
<br />

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1324 on: March 19, 2015, 10:57:44 AM »
Currently at the "God Tigh is so weak, and Ellen is such a bitch" stage in S2

Of all the character arcs, I think Tigh's is probably my favorite.  I hated him so much for the first two seasons, and really came to like him a lot by the end.

I was just thinking the other day about rewatching this series.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1325 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
I have definitely found myself itching for a 4th watch of the show, but the last one was only a year or two ago. It's definitely when I'm getting to the end of another TV show, or reading some sci-fi that's clearly influenced by BSG, that I get the cravings.

And yes, Tigh is a brilliant character and a fantastic story arc. Probably my favourite too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1326 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »
So...has anyone seen this show?  Is it any good?  Worth watching?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: July 12, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »

Yes, yes, yes if you are into sci fi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1328 on: July 12, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »
:bgigrin:  I may do a re-watch soon.  The Pokémon Go thread reminded me of it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1329 on: July 12, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »

If you like dark and outright brutal. I think it's brilliant but it's definitely not for everyone. Very little levity or lightness. You also have to have an open mind about the showing having a spiritual element.
fanticide.bandcamp.com