Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 164368 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
Cool. Obviously, I hope I will, but I won't be surprised if I don't either. I officially had one serious frustration with Season 3. So I could see having two or three with Season 4. I'm not sure though. I have to watch.

I can't imagine filler episodes, though, at this point. Is episode for like all story, or does it have its share of fillers too?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
There's less of what could be called "stand-alone episodes" as there are relatively few threads that are contained to individual episodes, but the plot moves along sluggishly at some points, especially in the back halves of each half-season (they aired in two groups of 10).
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
Yeah, I have no idea why I just called the stand-alone episodes "fillers."  :facepalm:

OK, about season 3-- one thing I don't get: Batlar never defends himself. He never even mentions that the Cylons put a gun to his head, and forced him to sign the document. Or did I miss that?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
He never defends himself because something happens that would never happen.

IIRC, Lampkin moves for a mistrial, Baltar refuses, so Lee testifies in support of Baltar bizarrely.  I don't think they ever get around to presenting an actual defence for Baltar.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
But Lee's whole speech is based on the assumption that Baltar "didn't have a choice." It's like everyone knew. But they just stopped short of saying so for some reason. Not sure why.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Well, I think it's pretty much self-evident that the humans could not actually fight off the Cylons, and weren't ultimately in a position to resist them.  People just wanted a scapegoat, and Baltar was an easy target.  The show can sometimes be hit or miss (often missing because it's too on the nose) with it's political issues, but they did a great job at handling this plot line.  A very nicely nuanced approach.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »
Yeah. Same here.

Actually, it's a shame that more time wasn't spent showing what happened on New Caprica and when Pegasus and Galactica jumped away. I really feel like they could have stretched that out, as it was a pretty awesome arc, and ended Season 3 with the rescue and Gaius' trial.  That whole arc was fabulous,  come to think of it, and it's sort of a shame that it wound up being 5 of the most action-packed episodes with the trial so much later.

I'm not complaining about how it actually went, since I DID like it and all. I just see a lot of potential there I guess.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but doesn't Baltar say something about the Cylons making him sign the death list when Gaeta is testifying?

I know he says something besides the "Oh, Felix, Felix, what are you doing?"

And there are some webisodes about the time spent on New Caprica before the start of season 3. They're called The Resistance.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »
That's one thing I didn't like: Felix lies. He generally seems to be a straight-shooter, but not this time.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
That's one thing I didn't like: Felix lies. He generally seems to be a straight-shooter, but not this time.
He wanted to see the guy he hated, whom he felt completely responsible for all the things that happened in New Caprica burned at the stake... of course he's gonna lie!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #360 on: March 28, 2011, 04:57:15 AM »
Across the four series, Felix probably undergoes a more dramatic change than any other character.

Joe, if you don't like season 4 then we are not a match.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: March 28, 2011, 05:20:05 AM »
I will make sure I try as hard as I can to like it. I don't want disappoint you, ariich.  :heart

But then again if I fall, at least I'll be falling right into the warm, welcoming lap of GuineaPig.  :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »
Also, I want to note: Casey and I have been streaming is simultaneously. We both enjoyed it, but she was way more pumped after the ending of season 3 than I was.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
Across the four series, Felix probably undergoes a more dramatic change than any other character.

Joe, if you don't like season 4 then we are not a match.

More than Baltar???
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Yeah, I don't see how you can quantify that at all.  I mean, he's a very minor character.  He shifts from being a somewhat content naive idealist to being justifiably bitter naive idealist.  Many other characters, and more important ones than that, had far bigger changes in character imo.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »
So I've been backing up the DVDs to my hard-drive all day, and have noticed some bizarre shit as I play them quickly to make sure I didn't exactly rip the commentary tracks. Man, things are going to get weird, aren't they?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
Just finished Razor. Thought it was really, really well done. At first I was skeptical, because I didn't think they'd be able to pull things off with what was, evidently, them working with half of the cast (if even that) but they did.

As a movie, it wasn't fantastic, but as 2.5 episodes of the show that never were crammed together I thought it was really well done. I still want to learn more about the Pegasus, though. And I want to learn more about what Galactica and Pegasus did during the occupation, too.  :P

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
The thing that lets Razor down is some bad character and plot choices in the last third.  And some poorly acted scenes scattered throughout.  On the whole, it's pretty good.  Mostly due to the presence of Cain.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: April 02, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
You know, after watching the commentary, it seems like all the actors and the directors weren't leading on, at all, that season 4 was to be the last one. Why is that. Did they know? Or did the series end abruptly for other reasons?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #369 on: April 02, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
You know, after watching the commentary, it seems like all the actors and the directors weren't leading on, at all, that season 4 was to be the last one. Why is that. Did they know? Or did the series end abruptly for other reasons?
As far as I know, they all knew the fourth season was the last one. If you watch the video blogs by David Eick when they show the cast members talking about the season they all knew it was the last one.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #370 on: April 02, 2011, 11:50:13 AM »
If I recall correctly, there was more than a year gap between seasons three and four.  It's very possible that the decision for it to be the last season was not made until production began or something.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
So finished the first three episodes of season 4 today. Not the best stuff, but my curiosity is so peaked that I think I'll get through this season faster than all the others.

I'm gonna say now, with some hesitation, that I do indeed like where the show is going. Though, given the quality of the standalone episodes, they could have taken another 5 seasons just to get to this point for all I care.

I do like Lee's new role, too. My biggest complaint about season 3 was how dumbed down Galactica politics seemed to become. It was like everything they set up in the first two seasons ended in favour of an Adama/Roselin benevolent dictatorship.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
My biggest complaint about season 3 was how dumbed down Galactica politics seemed to become. It was like everything they set up in the first two seasons ended in favour of an Adama/Roselin benevolent dictatorship.

Sit tight a bit.  This was done on purpose and will pay off.
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
I don't think it does.

I agree with PC.  I feel that too often throughout, and especially in the fourth season, that the show gets intellectually lazy and just concludes that whatever Roslin/Adama think is right and everyone should follow them, rather than presenting legitimate and justifiable alternate viewpoints.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »
My biggest complaint about season 3 was how dumbed down Galactica politics seemed to become. It was like everything they set up in the first two seasons ended in favour of an Adama/Roselin benevolent dictatorship.

Sit tight a bit.  This was done on purpose and will pay off.
Agreed.

concludes that whatever Roslin/Adama think is right and everyone should follow them, rather than presenting legitimate and justifiable alternate viewpoints.
wtf

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
I don't think it does.

This isn't even logically arguable.  Just don't bother trying.

I agree with PC.  I feel that too often throughout, and especially in the fourth season, that the show gets intellectually lazy and just concludes that whatever Roslin/Adama think is right and everyone should follow them, rather than presenting legitimate and justifiable alternate viewpoints.

This I can sorta see.
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
I don't think it does.

It took me a second to try and figure out what you meant.  I didn't mean it in the way you thought I meant it.  I should've rather said I don't enjoy the payoff; but unless I'm forgetting most of the season 2/3 commentaries I don't think it was set up that way on purpose.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
I don't think it does.

It took me a second to try and figure out what you meant.  I didn't mean it in the way you thought I meant it.  I should've rather said I don't enjoy the payoff; but unless I'm forgetting most of the season 2/3 commentaries I don't think it was set up that way on purpose.

Well, if you don't enjoy you don't enjoy it.  I disagree but that's fine.

I think it was done on purpose though.  Maybe not at first, but by Dirty Hands they realized what was happening and rolled with it.  Baltar specifically comments on the Roslin/Adama autocracy in the book he wrote.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: April 03, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
And, you know, I could see why the people might support the autocracy. Most of the civilians likely view the system as having failed with Baltar and the occupation. The problem is the show never explores that. In fact, for the longest time, we only the the Galactica's rulers in action. That's starting to change now, which is awesome.

The Final Five kind of bother me. Part of me is curious to see what becomes of them. The other part, honestly, makes me feel like the writers just felt like leaving everyone on a cliff-hanging by naming 4 characters as Cylons and now they're still not quite sure what they're going to do with them.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »
The other part, honestly, makes me feel like the writers just felt like leaving everyone on a cliff-hanging by naming 4 characters as Cylons and now they're still not quite sure what they're going to do with them.

Because that's not an inaccurate assessment of what happened.
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
More or less.

The Cylons may have had a plan, but the writers didn't.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #381 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
:icy:

But it's true.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »
Five episodes in, and I kinda want to keep watching.

I've decided I like where Chief being a Cylon has gone. Not sure about the others yet.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #383 on: April 04, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
More or less.

The Cylons may have had a plan, but the writers didn't.

You sound bitter.
Over and over again

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »
So I've managed to get my brother watching BSG now. :D

I be am boner inducing.