Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161880 times)

Offline Vivace

Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »
So no one else but me felt really bad for Gaeta?

SPOILERS

Gaeta's downfall is another part of the whole BSG experience I really didn't care for, and that was in the area of the webisodes. I tried very hard to at least watch them but I could never get the episode to load properly, ergo I couldn't watch these episodes but I figured, well, I don't think it will matter. But in the case of Gaeta it mattered a LOT since his downfall starts IN a webisode. If you are going to have a character arc that MEANS something DON'T put it online. Write it into the show. BSGs usage of the internet in so many words pissed me off and I know I'm being a dick about it, but I was really pissed about this. I liked the character and this whole change of attitude disturbed me a little. I was thinking to myself, so getting your leg amputated makes you a traitor? There was a disconnect and when I read what happened to him in a webisode it "sort of" made sense. well, his downfall is still a mystery to me, but at least the webisode tried to give us a clue as to why it happened.

Actually I was hoping Moore would have taken that action from Gaeta and gave it to Saul. Saul in my mind made much more sense in that he could have blamed Adama for the death of his wife. That coupled with Adama's action with Tyrol's wife basically having a gun to her head to stop Tryol's strike, should have put Tyrol (his that his name?) along side of Saul. Having those two do what Gaeta did makes much more sense to me that just giving it to Gaeta. This was a plot device that I really thought was poorly thought out and was disappointing to see Moore come up with somethign awesome, but not give it the edge it could have had. But as we all know both Tyrol and Saul were in the final five which again was another source of "what the hell?" for me.

When it was announced the final five, my guesses where the following: Anders, Baltar, Roslin, Helo and Saul.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:03:53 AM by Vivace »
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »
Recently got the complete series on Blu-ray and it and it looks about 1000 times better!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »
Does it improve the writing in the 4th season?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Does it improve the writing in the 4th season?

Sigh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
 :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
So I'm watching season 2 again and just finished disc 3 on Epiphanies... I know realize that disc 4 starts with Black Market and Scar!

OH GAWD!!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
I like "Scar".

"Black Market" is the worst non-Angeli episode of the first three seasons.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
In before GuineaPig.

Edit: DAMNIT!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
I'm just the Eastwood to your Van Cleef.

Offline Adami

« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
I'm just the Eastwood to your Van Cleef.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »
When I think of the worst episodes of the series, those 2 instantly come to mind.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
Dimitrius is our Wallach because he's Hispanic or something.

Offline Adami

« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »
Dimitrius is our Wallach because he's Hispanic or something.

Well considering that Wallach is an old white jew, can't I be Wallach?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
We're going by The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in this here metaphor.

I was considering going with For a Few Dollars More, but the discussion would inevitably end up revolving around Adami's shotgun and whether it should be sawed off or not.

Offline Adami

« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
I had it sawed off when I was a week old dude.

Or we can keep it pertaining to this thread, I can be Baltar, Dimitrus can be Adama and you can be Gaita (post execution).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
You talk too much, blondie.

I had it sawed off when I was a week old dude.

Or we can keep it pertaining to this thread, I can be Baltar, Dimitrus can be Adama and you can be Gaita (post execution).
:rollin

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »
In all TV situations, I am always the strong, imposing yet calm, leader.  And my best friend is my rogue sidekick.

Hence, he is the Tigh to my Adama.  The Draper to my Sterling.  The McNulty to my Daniels. 

I'm not Gaeta, is my point.

Offline Adami

« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »
In all TV situations, I am always the strong, imposing yet calm, leader.  And my best friend is my rogue sidekick.

Hence, he is the Tigh to my Adama.  The Draper to my Sterling.  The McNulty to my Daniels. 

I'm not Gaeta, is my point.

Gaeta showed up and complained non stop.

You're gaeta.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
:rollin :rollin

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
Scar is awesome, you nutjob!

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
Someones phone went off in my office with the really simple repeating theme from the BSG soundtrack whenever there is a cylon moment going on. He immediately went up in my estimation!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »
https://www.cracked.com/article_19043_6-classic-series-you-didnt-know-were-made-up-fly.html

I feel like spamming this article on a number of topics, but this is the one I care about the most.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
Just finished Season 2. Here are some thoughts (SPOILERS)

Overall, very good and I was not at all expecting a Cylon occupation at the end. This is a welcomed change because honestly the stuff happening on Galactica was starting to wear a bit thin on me, especially the obvious filler episodes like Scar. I still think Season 1's finale was a lot better though. And, honestly, I don't like where they went with Gaius as president. Actually, come to think of it, I've barely liked anything Gaius related in the second half of this season. Him giving away a Nuclear weapon to a Cylon, for example. Anyway, still incredibly looking forward to season 3. Feel free to share thoughts, but no spoilers.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
Season 2 is the best season, but imo the cracks are beginning to show.  Not only are there some intensely bad episodes ("The Woman King" uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... how did Angeli become a producer after that one?) but they start Lostifying it.  However, there's some really good stuff.  The "Pegasus" arc is the show's best.  Cain is the best character.  There's some great character stuff happening.  I really liked the last two episodes.  Very unexpected shift, but not of the lame "OMG PLOT TWIST" variety.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
Cracks?

So wait... is there really like some intense drop in quality?

Please say no...  :(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
Cracks?

They aren't, GuineaPig just complains a lot.

Like Gaeta.

:neverusethis:

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
Don't know the series, but got myself the whole DVD box set today. Looking forward to it!  :hat

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
Cracks?

The people on this board would say "No, it remains perfect to the end."

Everyone I've encountered in real life would universally agree that BSG runs off a cliff in your near viewing future.

EDIT: Hmm, my DTF told me I got ninja'd by three people, but I only got ninja'd by two.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: March 01, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »
Ugh. Like, what are we talking about?

Snowglobe ending? If it's well done... well, maybe. Everyone is really Cylons? Uh, actually, that'd suck but don't answer that. Everyone dies? Not the best case scenario but I can see it ending up decent. Mind-fuck makes no sense ending? Not great, but still better most the other options.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »

The people on this board would say "No, it remains perfect to the end."

Everyone I've encountered in real life would universally agree that BSG runs off a cliff in your near viewing future.

Reflecting on this dichotomy, I suppose it boils down to how much you like Lost.  Because it ends up seeming like it's what the producers want to emulate by all means possible.  Therefore, people on the internet like it because everyone knows the entire internet has fanboy boners for Lost.  Meanwhile, in real life, people are unimpressed.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
Hm.

If it ties more into the subtle religious themes that have been in play the whole time, I'll be happy. Even if it involves some heavy supernatural elements coming into play.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:08 AM »
Well, hopefully you enjoy it.  You still have at least one stretch of episodes that is unanimously considered among the show's best ahead of you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »
Cool. Can't wait.

And, did you watch Caprica? At least if I do wind up agreeing Battlestar's ending sucks I still have that to look forward to. From what I've heard it's good.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
Cracks?

My take:

After the first four episodes of season three, the writers started trying a lot of weird ideas that interwove into the plot and created many episodes that make you think "Wait, THIS is happening in Battlestar?"  I don't mean they're all terrible (although I don't know who would enjoy The Woman King, even the title is bad), just strange and a departure from the core of the show.

The first half of season four is actually where things get really crazy.  It almost becomes a straight drama on space ships.  More solidly written, but you really have to be patient with it.

But if you get through all that, the second half of season four is mostly brilliant excepting Deadlock (terrible premise).  And unlike a lot of people I still think the end is transcendentally good as a character piece, even if the plot has weird moments.  What really seems to matter to most people's enjoyment of the finale is how they like the questions being answered.  I was mostly satisfied.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again