Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 162073 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1155 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
I assumed you were kicking and screaming the whole time.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: January 03, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
I loved it when Tyrol choked Tori.  I always hated her.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1157 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
If you didn't cry in that scene you have no soul.
Anyone who doesn't cry here doesn't have a soul.
HOW ORIGINAL!

:lol I'm subconsciously influenced by you Rich 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1158 on: January 14, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
So i have finally reached s4 and just saw e14! My god that was intense!

William "frakkin" Adama!!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1159 on: January 14, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
Yeah, that mutiny arc was pretty intense.  The next couple of episodes may feel like they let up on the intensity just a bit, but not much.  You're in for a good ride toward the finale.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1160 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
Yeah, that mutiny arc was pretty intense.  The next couple of episodes may feel like they let up on the intensity just a bit, but not much.  You're in for a good ride toward the finale.
Nice!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1161 on: February 04, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »
Still on my BSG rewatch.  Just got to 'No Exit" and, ugh that's about all I can say about it.  Ugh. Some people talk about 'Black Market' or 'The Woman King' or even 'Unfinished Business' as being clunkers, but they ain't got nothing on 'No Exit.'

On the plus side 'Revelations' and 'Sometimes A Great Notion' were still pretty fantastic and likely up there with the best of them.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #1162 on: March 08, 2013, 11:19:16 PM »
Honestly, I can't pick one arc of this show that's my favorite. The mutiny arc in Blood on the Scales is one of my favorites, especially since *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER* Zarek is a character that really intrigued me throughout the show, and I wanted to see him in action since Bastille Day, but the completion of Gaeta's tragedy is what I love. His trusting nature, his willingness to put faith in leaders that inspire change, also shown with Baltar on New Caprica, ended up being his downfall. Watching his reaction as he realizes that it's all spiraling out of control when Zarek murders the Quorom, oh man.*END SPOILER, BUT WATCH OUT, I'M GONNA BRING UP A FEW MORE. LIKE NEXT PARAGRAPH*.

The New Caprica arc takes the cake for me, though. That entire arc. From seeing our favorite characters as terrorists, to the night time kidnapping scene, to the EPIC finish, it had me gripped from start to finish. Gotta give a shout out to the *SPOILER* reveal of the Final Five. For days after watching that episode, I was in disbelief. *ENDSPOILER*

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1163 on: March 08, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
A wild Zeltar appears.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

« Reply #1164 on: March 09, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
The New Caprica arc is definitely my favorite. I think it took a lot of balls to do that and do it successfully and the way the ramifications played out over the following episodes. That's BSG at its best right there.

The Pegasus episodes come in a close second mostly because Michelle Forbes is awesome as Caine.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1165 on: March 09, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
The Pegasus arc is my favourite.  Cain was my favourite character.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #1166 on: March 09, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
The New Caprica arc is definitely my favorite. I think it took a lot of balls to do that and do it successfully and the way the ramifications played out over the following episodes. That's BSG at its best right there.
Ah, dude, I feel like that arc's ramifications played out over the course of the rest of the show. You could argue that every single character that was stuck on New Caprica was changed for the rest of the series. I've talked with my dad about watching BSG from Season 3, then season 4, then watching one and finishing the show from there, because of how much that arc changes the show from seasons 1/2 to 3/4.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1167 on: April 19, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
Not going to read this because I don't want too many spoilers.   But my wife and I are just getting into this on Netflix.

LOVED LOVED LOVED the first two seasons, but we just watched the series 3 premier, and I really don't like where they are taking it so far.  They've essentially made me hate everyone on the show.     During the first two seasons, I liked the way that we had the good guys and the bad guys...and the good guys had some bad people and the bad guys had some good people.   It really made for an interesting dynamic.   

But now I feel like EVERYONE has compromised their principles and there is no one left to root for.    I found myself reminded of the modern political climate of being presented with two extremes with no middle ground or balanced person in sight.    It was kind of depressing.   The twist with Starbuck's baby is the only thing that's making me hold out some hope.     We're spending the weekend getting through as much of season 3 as we can...I hope it gets better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: April 19, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »
Season 3 is the weakest in my ranking, for that same reason.  Though it did suit the tone of that period, which was very dark and bleak.  Hang in there, you've got plenty of great episodes ahead!  :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1169 on: April 20, 2013, 12:45:27 AM »
That aspect of BSG is exactly what makes it the best show ever for me. Simple good guys vs bad guys is a bit boring. A full cast where nobody is perfect, where lots of people have good intentions but screw up, is much more believable and profound to me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: April 20, 2013, 01:14:46 AM »
That aspect of BSG is exactly what makes it the best show ever for me. Simple good guys vs bad guys is a bit boring. A full cast where nobody is perfect, where lots of people have good intentions but screw up, is much more believable and profound to me.

I agree, but it's not as entertaining to watch as the other seasons (though the latter half of season 3 started the recovery).  Perhaps weak was too strong a term.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1171 on: April 20, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »

I agree actually....but that is exactly why I loved 1 and 2.   Because it WASN'T that simple.   I liked the angle that the Cylons had reaped all the human baggage by becoming human.   I liked that there were detractors in the Cylon ranks who wanted to be human, and also that there were humans like Baltar who were neither good nor evil....but much more complex.   

But Season 3 has taken characters like Starbuck, Apollo, Tighe (sp?) and even the President...and taken me from really feeling for them, to just being disgusted with them.    I abhor where they've gone mentally and psychologically and I'm just hoping there's some redemption coming down the pipe.    The fact that these characters have become so bitter that they have become *WORSE* than the enemy actually has me rooting more for the Cylons at this point....but not by much.

« Reply #1172 on: April 20, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
Well, the events on New Caprica were bound to make anyone a bit um bitter to say the least.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1173 on: April 20, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »
Just got done with Episode 8 (the boxing match episode).    My loathing of Starbuck had been building up for a very long time...but now I just find her to be repulsive.   I view her as a villain along the same lines as Sherri from 24. 

That is one completely screwed up psycho chick, and I honestly feel deep sorrow and regret for anyone with the misfortune to end up in a relationship with her.

Maybe it's just because I've known "tough chicks" like her, and I honestly don't believe them capable of ever having a normal relationship in any way, shape or form.  Even if they end up with someone normal, they just spread chaos, drama and psychosis wherever they go, and scar the lives of anyone they touch.    So it could be I'm just biased.   :-\

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1174 on: April 25, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »
Just got done with Episode 8 (the boxing match episode).    My loathing of Starbuck had been building up for a very long time...but now I just find her to be repulsive.   I view her as a villain along the same lines as Sherri from 24. 

That is one completely screwed up psycho chick, and I honestly feel deep sorrow and regret for anyone with the misfortune to end up in a relationship with her.

Maybe it's just because I've known "tough chicks" like her, and I honestly don't believe them capable of ever having a normal relationship in any way, shape or form.  Even if they end up with someone normal, they just spread chaos, drama and psychosis wherever they go, and scar the lives of anyone they touch.    So it could be I'm just biased.   :-\

When I was at the point in the series where you are, I felt about the same way.  But...just hang in there.  The rest of season 3 is very hit and miss for me.  You are about to hit what I consider to be some VERY good episodes, followed by some not so good ones, followed by some good ones, etc.  When you finally make it to the last episode of season 3, you will likely experience such a wide array of emotions that it is hard to process.  Please make sure your floor is clean when you are watching, because your jaw will probably end up there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1175 on: April 25, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »

When I was at the point in the series where you are, I felt about the same way.  But...just hang in there.  The rest of season 3 is very hit and miss for me.  You are about to hit what I consider to be some VERY good episodes, followed by some not so good ones, followed by some good ones, etc.  When you finally make it to the last episode of season 3, you will likely experience such a wide array of emotions that it is hard to process.  Please make sure your floor is clean when you are watching, because your jaw will probably end up there.

Absolutely a believer.   The episodes *have* been getting far better.    I LOVE Baltar's lawyer.   Fantastic character from the word go.    I didn't shed a tear at Starbuck's death (although somehow I doubt she's really dead) and the only thing I have not been able to get into is *everyone else* being sad about Starbuck's death, (wha????) and yet being perfectly willing to string up Baltar (a *completely* misunderstood character) as the equal of Hitler himself.   

I feel like this series is a bit backwards, because it makes me despise someone I thought was supposed to be the "good guy" that everyone from the human side loves (Starbuck) and have complete sympathy for the "bad guy" that everyone on the human side wants to be strung up by his testicles (Baltar).

I am just now sitting down to watch the two-part season 3 finale....Baltar's trial.     REALLY psyched for it...I think it's going to be awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1176 on: April 25, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
I will definitely have to tune back in to see what you think once you finish that double episode.  In case you forgot to do it beforehand, the break between pt. 1 and pt. 2 is an excellent time to clean whatever part of the floor your jaw is likely to end up on.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1177 on: April 25, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
I don't see how it's hard to believe for everyone to be sad about Starbuck, as you said before, maybe your hates comes from knowing that type of person in real life, but she's been an extremely important figure in the fleet since the beginning! Fighting on every battle in the Vipers, a member of the resistance in New Caprica and being part of every important thing that has happened.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1178 on: April 25, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
A-MA-ZING!!!

(but the way it ended was a bit.....IDK....lame.   I mean, Hendrix?  Really?   The Cylons channel Jimi to awaken their sleepers?   *REALLY*???)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1179 on: April 25, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »
Watch Razor before you move to season 4. ...and the Hendrix song is explained well, just watch.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1180 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
I don't see how it's hard to believe for everyone to be sad about Starbuck, as you said before, maybe your hates comes from knowing that type of person in real life, but she's been an extremely important figure in the fleet since the beginning! Fighting on every battle in the Vipers, a member of the resistance in New Caprica and being part of every important thing that has happened.

It's not just that....I just don't see how she is in any way a "likeable" character by any stretch of human imagination.   Especially when people like Baltar and the Cylons in general are held up as such "demons".    I mean, Baltar might be a chickens**t weasel....but he is still INFINITELY more "likeable" than Starbuck.   She is just obnoxious, mean spirited, vindictive, manipulative and has almost no redeemable human qualities beyond some exceptional technical skills.    I just couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to figure out why on earth anyone would have so little self respect as to stoop to actually sharing an emotional tie with her. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1181 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
Watch Razor before you move to season 4. ...and the Hendrix song is explained well, just watch.

I had done some research awhile back, and had been curious about Razor.   I did read too many spoilers, but enough to know that it was a sortof backstory involving Admiral Cain.     At first I wasn't sure it what order to put it....but I'm actually a bit surprised that Netflix has it as the first episode of Season 4.   (I know that's not technically correct, but it's interesting that that would put it in the proper airing order)

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1182 on: April 25, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »

Forgot the green font, there.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1183 on: April 25, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
That's the proper viewing order. Despite your spoilers, you probably did not see what it reveals as important to the story going forward. Yes, it is backstory, but they used it for a purpose in it's viewing order between the seasons.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1184 on: April 25, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »

Oh shut it. You know the reason for viewing it between the seasons, it affects the first part of season 4.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1185 on: April 25, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
That's the proper viewing order. Despite your spoilers, you probably did not see what it reveals as important to the story going forward. Yes, it is backstory, but they used it for a purpose in it's viewing order between the seasons.

This.  The DVD box sets have it in this order too, and it's defnitely the right place.  Even though the events happen much earlier in the story chronology, this is definitely the right time to view because (1) it now won't spoil things that have happened since, and (2) as Yorost said, in addition to just being backstory on Cain, there is a lot that is important to the story going forward.  Since I had the DVD box set, I was VERY tempted as you likely are to skip it and pick up the story where it left off.  I get it.  And you won't be disappointed when you jump back in.  But watch Razor first.

A-MA-ZING!!!

(but the way it ended was a bit.....IDK....lame.   I mean, Hendrix?  Really?   The Cylons channel Jimi to awaken their sleepers?   *REALLY*???)

I don't want to say too much about the music, because it kind of falls by the wayside for awhile.  But it comes back and will all eventually make sense.  RESIST the temptation to try to find an explanation.  I would highly advise staying completely spoiler free going forward.  They payoff is pretty good if you do, IMO.

Regarding Starbuck:  Yeah, I hear you.  And you will probably end up hating her even more in the not too distant future.  But, eventually...well, you'll see.

So just out of curiosity, did you figure out who any of the five were before the reveal?  (and I don't mean just earlier in the episode, because clues were definitely there to figure some out)  If so, when did you figure out whom?  Any suspicions about who the fifth is?

EDIT:  Oh, and if G.P. is not on your ignore list, it might not be a bad idea to put him there until you are done discussing BSG.  Just sayin'.   :biggrin:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1186 on: April 25, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

Oh shut it. You know the reason for viewing it between the seasons, it affects the first part of season 4.

I wasn't talking about Razor.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1187 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Oh, the song? Fine, it turns out with a much more reasonable explanation that it originally looked like it could, that's all I meant. ...and it is at least that much. Harp on their other decisions related to it, but once those are in place it isn't too bad a stretch for the song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1188 on: April 25, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
It's not a stretch at all.  Once the, uh...timeline...and other things are revealed, it not only makes sense, but is really cool. 

A cool bit of trivia that gets resolved shortly as well:  When Starbuck "dies," the scene where Adama smashes the model ship was not planned.  He improvised that--much to the horror of the set department, as they had borrowed this VERY EXPENSIVE actual model ship from a collector.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1189 on: April 25, 2013, 09:48:19 PM »
BTW....my last post had a typo.   "I *DIDN'T* see too many spoilers...."

Settling in to watch Razor now....