Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148691 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« Reply #840 on: June 15, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »
Things to make you say hmmmmmmmmmm.....
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-i-wont-be-working-with-geoff-tate-again/

Call me weird, but I don't have any QR post-DeGarmo, I have every Priest album except two (Jugulator and Demolition), and while I have every Maiden album and single, my least favorite are by far The X Factor and Futureal. 

I would've passed on this.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #841 on: June 15, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
One of the first real metal songs I heard (I think, I dunno) was Burn in Hell by Priest with Ripper. He's always had a special place in my heart, but I totally would have skipped this as well.

Now, you give me Ripper covering Steel Dragon, I'll for the insane irony alone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »
If I had a chance to see this triple bill, I would have gone for sure.  It would have mostly been for Ripper, but it would still be cool to see Tate and Blaze.  Ripper is such a powerhouse singer live, Live Meltdown is still my favorite live album by any band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #843 on: June 15, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
Blaze is a good soul.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: June 15, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »
His first two solo albums are classic and his first from Wolfsbane is also a great listen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #845 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
His latest album is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #846 on: June 15, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-i-wont-be-working-with-geoff-tate-again/

Call me weird, but I don't have any QR post-DeGarmo, I have every Priest album except two (Jugulator and Demolition), and while I have every Maiden album and single, my least favorite are by far The X Factor and Futureal. 

Dude....VXI is drivel, but PLEASE give TXF a complete objective spin.  That is seriously a top 5 Maiden album.  I've been spinning it lately and I absolutely can't get enough of it.   The Sign of the Cross, Blood on the World's Hands, The Unbeliever, Man on the Edge....so many seriously awesome songs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #847 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
Jugulator is solid, but is best experienced on the live album from that tour.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #848 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »

Dude....VXI is drivel, but PLEASE give TXF a complete objective spin.  That is seriously a top 5 Maiden album.  I've been spinning it lately and I absolutely can't get enough of it.   The Sign of the Cross, Blood on the World's Hands, The Unbeliever, Man on the Edge....so many seriously awesome songs.

Personally I don't like Blayze's voice and the guitars tone (and low mix) on TXF. But I do agree there are great songs on there (and some that I really don't like), including the japanese bonus tracks.
"My"version of the album that I like to hear:

1. Sign...
2. Lord...
3. Man...
4. Jugement...
5. Justice of the peace (japan)
6. Blood...
7. I live my way (japan)
8. The edge...
9. Judgement day (japan)
10. The unbeliever
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #849 on: June 16, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
That headline is misleading and very clickbaity. They make it sound like there were problems, but Ripper said "unfortunlately he wont be working with him" and overall it was a great time.
I disagree. Sure he said "unfortunately", but then he followed that up with "So we'll leave it at that. But I will be working with Blaze Bayley." In other words, there's a lot more dirt to the story than he's willing to bring up because he doesn't want to create a bunch of negativity. Which is probably why he also said "It was a lot of fun — we laughed a lot and had a good time." Probably some truth to that, but probably just as much PR talk as anything. Considering Tater's ways, including that of his manager wife, I'd be surprised if there wasn't problems! Seems that several well known or semi-well known musicians seem to distance themselves from the Taters after working with them, for whatever reason, such as Glen Drover, the Sarzo brothers, Craig Locicero, etc.

That was what I took from it as well.  But, hey, Ripper was a gentleman in not actually revealing the dirt, so I'm perfectly content leaving it at that and not speculating much further than that there is definitely SOMETHING that happened between him and the Tate camp that is more than simply, "this tour didn't pay as much as I thought it would have." 

As for the tour itself, it's a bit complicated.  I was once a huge Tate fan, but am now pretty anti, both because of who he has revealed himself to be and because of his severely diminished abilities (and disinterest in really addressing his diminished abilities).  Never heard anything from Blayze that grabbed me.  And while I recognize and appreciate Ripper's talent, I have never been a fan of any of the bands he has been in, so he has managed to fly under my radar.  But from the clips I have seen, this tour just seems like it would be a fun thing to see and a chance to see some guys having a blast doing some solid tunes.  Seems like a fun club show.  If it had come close by, I likely would have gone. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #850 on: June 16, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »

I've tried really hard to like The X Factor. But every time I listen, Bruce's version of Sign of the Cross comes into my head, and I realize just how much better he would have sang the record. So it makes it difficult.

As for the short-lived Trinity, to be honest, I really wish that Bruce and Rob would revisit the idea together, whether with Tate, or another singer. I have to say, that clip from 15 years ago of those three doing "The One You Love to Hate" was pretty damn cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #851 on: July 06, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
here is Geoff performing with Avantasia.  Not the most challenging song to sing, but Geoff sounds pretty good....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwA0rqw6d4&feature=youtu.be
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #852 on: July 06, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »

I will, to keep up with the Maiden discography.  It's also relative; I mean, the other albums with Bruce as SO FRIGGIN' GOOD (well, except FotD; that's not an album I go to much). 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: July 06, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
here is Geoff performing with Avantasia.  Not the most challenging song to sing, but Geoff sounds pretty good....

Avantasia is what Tate probably wants his Operation: Mindcrime project to be. It's just not billed that way, nor are the albums as dramatic and interesting as Avantasia.

Truthfully, doing things like Avantasia and tours like this is exactly what Tate should be doing. If he can get his voice into decent enough shape, I could see him doing TSO, touring Europe all the time with Avantasia, etc. It's when Tate has complete creative control that things get a little wonky for whatever reason.

He sounds good with Avantasia. Not Tate of 1991, or hell even 2005, pre-MC II, but a solid vocal performance. I'd love to see him embrace more opportunities like this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #854 on: July 06, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »

He sounds good here! And he looks like he's really enjoying it too :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: July 06, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »

I will, to keep up with the Maiden discography.  It's also relative; I mean, the other albums with Bruce as SO FRIGGIN' GOOD (well, except FotD; that's not an album I go to much).

J dude is underselling VXI and overselling TXF. But TXF has some amazing moments. Some of Maiden's best. Notice I said moments and not songs..

Avantasia is what Tate probably wants his Operation: Mindcrime project to be. It's just not billed that way, nor are the albums as dramatic and interesting as Avantasia.

Truthfully, doing things like Avantasia and tours like this is exactly what Tate should be doing. If he can get his voice into decent enough shape, I could see him doing TSO, touring Europe all the time with Avantasia, etc. It's when Tate has complete creative control that things get a little wonky for whatever reason.

As soon as it was announced that Tate was involved, I called it right away, that he would do a great job on it.

Tobi is amazing with what he does on these albums, especially with the voacalists. I mean, look what he did with Joe Lynn Turner on The Mystery Of Time. He was a friggin' miracle worker.

Plus, I think there's a healthy competition amongst the vocalists that causes each to raise their game.

Tate's performance was not surprising to me in any way. I actually felt happy he could turn in such a performance, TBH.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #856 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »
looks like he is trotting out an entirely different lineup on this month's dates, aside from  Randy and Scott Mouton. I have no idea who the other three are. Damn Kelly Gray isn't even on this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_4hDbv44Dk
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:14:44 PM by njfirefighter »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #857 on: July 29, 2017, 07:30:14 AM »
"you're in my web Kelly Grey..."

I didn't think he would have been able to escape, but I guess I was wrong

Offline bill1971

« Reply #858 on: July 29, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
This is a good interview. He even said he saw QR recently with the new singer and was very complimentary. Even met him and spoke with the rest of the guys again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0m60i36ZmOo

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #859 on: July 29, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
Didn't Geoff sue them?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #860 on: July 29, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
Didn't Geoff sue them?

I'm not sure. I guess Geoff has moved on and so have they. I really hope MP and DT can get to that level of peace one day.

Geoff really seems changed. I know he says he went to therapy but don't know when or for how long.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #861 on: July 29, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
Didn't Geoff sue them?

I'm not sure. I guess Geoff has moved on and so have they. I really hope MP and DT can get to that level of peace one day.

Geoff really seems changed. I know he says he went to therapy but don't know when or for how long.

Level of peace? They were polite to each other for a few minutes backstage. Let's not start thinking the world is all rainbows quite yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #862 on: July 29, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
Funny how nice Geoff got when he found out he wasn't as important as he thought he was. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #863 on: July 29, 2017, 10:33:08 PM »
Didn't Geoff sue them?

Level of peace? They were polite to each other for a few minutes backstage. Let's not start thinking the world is all rainbows quite yet.

After what went down, I'm surprised that happened, but they are adults. MP asked for a break, they said no, he left. Then he started his passive aggressive bullshit. I don't know, with how much Portnoy spits on stage, maybe something similar happened with DT's break up. lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #864 on: July 30, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
Lol, maybe.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: August 01, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
Didn't Geoff sue them?

Yes. Two years worth of legal wrangling before they settled - https://www.anybodylistening.net/lawsuit.html

On a positive note, it's nice to see them be cordial. I think both camps realize they probably can make more money with one another. Whether they reunite, time will tell. I don't really have any interest in just Tate coming back, however. For me, it would have to be completely the original lineup. Nothing against Parker, I just think we've "been there, done that" with Tateryche.

I have to repeat though -- I really was impressed by Tate's acoustic solo tour. He sounded good and I'm glad I went. Got to see a cool setlist too.

But $$$$$ always talks. If Queensryche and Tate get offers to reunite and they are high enough to warrant consideration, they'll take it. Despite what Tate says, he does need the money, as do some in Queensryche. But if it's just Tate, Rock, Jackson, Wilton, and Lundgren, I'd pass. If it is the full-on original lineup, take my money.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:58:41 AM by bosk1 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #866 on: August 01, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
Didn't Geoff sue them?

Yes. Two years worth of legal wrangling before they settled - https://www.anybodylistening.net/lawsuit.html

But what is frustrating is that, although things may indeed have calmed down significantly, he still can't help trying to "revise" history.  For those who followed the story, it isn't hard to pick up a lot of things he said in that interview that are either outright wrong or just misleading.  For instance, he says, "They sued me."  Technically, yes, that is a true statement.  But it is VERY misleading and completely misses the point of what happened.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: August 26, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »
Geoff has really been putting some work in with his singing.  Messy sound here but you can tell he's at a level not seen in many years.   I wonder if he is working hard for a reason other than his solo career.

https://youtu.be/ZdUlJHvET1I
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #868 on: August 26, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
That's interesting Brent. It's actually pretty good.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: August 26, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
Geoff has really been putting some work in with his singing.  Messy sound here but you can tell he's at a level not seen in many years.   I wonder if he is working hard for a reason other than his solo career.

This is the absolute finest he's sounded in more than a decade. He doesn't just sound OK. He sounds really good. REALLY good. They've downtuned just a bit, but it has been downtuned since like 2001 anyway. I'm really, really impressed. Even better than when I saw him acoustically this past spring.

Speak, Spreading the Disease, SSM, Needle...just...damn, That was the guy I loved hearing. Extremely impressive.  :tup

Just wow.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #870 on: August 28, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »

I think he finally realizes that the trilogy idea went nowhere and tanked and securing his next recording contract is going to be chasing a needle in a haystack, therefore what does that leave....hmmm maybe if I up my vocal game and perform Mindcrime a little better for the 125th time...hmm maybe if I do that and just continue to milk that since the 30th Anniversary is right around the corner, If I could get five hundred people to come rather than two hundred and fifty I could afford to stay on the road performing, since I love performing so much. That certainly would be a start. However, creativity is gone. His penchant for metal is gone. Operation Mindcrime has been milked drier than the California gold mines.     

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: September 15, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
Noticed today that Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime (which performed with a different lineup, as we noted, a couple months ago in Brazil) is headed out in support of ANGRA in March and April 2018 in Europe and Russia. Very cool bill. Not sure who is in Angra these days, but I remember digging them years ago.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #872 on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
Yeah, that would be a wonderful show! Angra has a new album coming out soon and it will be their first one without Kiko Loureiro, who joined Megadeth a couple years ago. Their current vocalist is Fabio Lione from Rhapsody, and he is such a perfect fit. 

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #873 on: September 15, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
Yep, curious to see the lineups. I'm guessing maybe we'll see a few different lineups maybe involved between the Europe dates and when it shifts to North America later.

And it lays to rest THANK GOD  :biggrin: any crazy delusions that Queensryche would for some ill advised un Godly reason reunite with Geoff for the 30th anniversary of Mindcrime.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #874 on: September 15, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
Noticed today that Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime (which performed with a different lineup, as we noted, a couple months ago in Brazil) is headed out in support of ANGRA in March and April 2018 in Europe and Russia. Very cool bill. Not sure who is in Angra these days, but I remember digging them years ago.

In his recent brazilian tour, Geoff Tate played with an all brazilian band and the bassist was Felipe Andreoli of Angra.
IMO the last Angra album was very good, still with Kiko in the band and already with Fabio on vocals. From Secret Garden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIqIRK5ynM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUeS-wRUYQ (awesome The Police cover)
Marcelo Barbosa is the new guitar player. A very good one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBr990_teU
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)