Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148724 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« Reply #805 on: September 05, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
Not sure if this was discussed, but did anyone notice the link on Tate's O:M website to the official Queensryche website?
That may be part of the settlement...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #806 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:55 AM »
Man, just when I think the man can't reach any lower depths.....he goes and does another stupid thing. Why do I even bother?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: September 06, 2016, 04:10:15 AM »
Look, I am not tapping such a filthy search term into Google. What's he done now?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #808 on: September 06, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
Look at the pic.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
Oooops! Thought the comment before yours was a year ago. Bizarrely.

Yeah, that's horrid.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Art

« Reply #810 on: September 14, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az7n-NC2qUU

i love Ripper and Blaze, but not even they could save this song.  :(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #811 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »
That wasn't bad, actually.  First song from Tate in a long time that I haven't flat out disliked.  And although Tate still sounds strained and is singing from the neck up, at least he sounds like he is trying. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #812 on: September 14, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
It's not a bad song. The video is funny though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #813 on: September 14, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
Yeah, the video...  Why are Ripper and Blaze holding lyric sheets?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: September 14, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »
Good song, much better then anything he has released in years (reinventing the future was good too).  I was hoping that Ripper and Blaze would have more solo parts, but the three work well together.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #815 on: September 14, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
I hear "I don't believe in love" guitar parts rehashed.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #816 on: September 14, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »
I hear "I don't believe in love" guitar parts rehashed.

The verses for sure.

I don't even know what to think about this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: September 14, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
That actually wasn't bad to be honest.  Although, Blaze and Tim are under utilised, Tate still being Tate and not giving them much room here.

Yeah, the video...  Why are Ripper and Blaze holding lyric sheets?  :lol

Yeah, I thought that was quite funny too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: September 14, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
This has got to be a huge victory for Geoff. So far the reviews are "not bad", "wasn't bad", "good" and " I don't know".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: September 14, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »
This has got to be a huge victory for Geoff. So far the reviews are "not bad", "wasn't bad", "good" and " I don't know".

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: September 14, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
Not totally shithouse.  Add that to the list JJ.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: September 14, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #822 on: September 14, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
Pretty awful. Also obvious they do that one QR thing way too often, where they have an uptempo 4/4 beat with bass keeping the rhythm and the guitar doing a clean dreamy arpegio over it.

Also, after a while I just started skipping through it, but did the other two vocalists do any actual lead vocals? I may have missed it, but it seemed like they were just doing harmonies that Tate could have easily done himself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #823 on: September 14, 2016, 06:42:15 PM »
All I could think of the whole time was The Three stooges

Offline Art

« Reply #824 on: September 15, 2016, 06:38:36 AM »

Also, after a while I just started skipping through it, but did the other two vocalists do any actual lead vocals? I may have missed it, but it seemed like they were just doing harmonies that Tate could have easily done himself.

They each got like, 3 seconds of lead vocals. I don´t see the point of inviting two known singers, and use them for backing vocals and harmonies that, as you said, he could have done.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: October 09, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »
At one point, there was a project in the works to include Tate, Bruce Dickinson, and Rob Halford.  That project eventually fell through.  So, when Tate decides to revisit the idea he gets those guys' replacements?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: October 09, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
At one point, there was a project in the works to include Tate, Bruce Dickinson, and Rob Halford.  That project eventually fell through.  So, when Tate decides to revisit the idea he gets those guys' replacements?

Too bad is didn't include Tate's replacement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #827 on: October 09, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
It's not bad but talk about 'phoning it in' , it sounds like they recorded the vocal down a phone line.
And I don't say this often, but I think I'm a better guitarist than Kelly Grey.
Production is shit.
Yeah, a lot better  :biggrin:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #828 on: October 11, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »

You made my day, TAC! :xbones

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: October 14, 2016, 04:50:06 PM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #831 on: June 15, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Hmmmmmm.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #832 on: June 15, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
Completely speculation, but my guess is that it is a $$$$ thing, plain and simple.

When you have Tate, Ripper, and Blaze, all three of those guys want to get a decent chunk of change. And arguably, Ripper is the best out of all three of them, and is used to getting paid at a certain level.

I checked out a few clips -- it was cool to see the three of them, but (total speculation here) if Ripper wasn't getting paid what he was used to getting, then I don't blame him for stepping aside.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #833 on: June 15, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »

This made me remember of that project, back in 2000-2001 or so.

It's hilarous that as you said he exactly got the replacement of the other two singers  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #834 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Completely speculation, but my guess is that it is a $$$$ thing, plain and simple.

When you have Tate, Ripper, and Blaze, all three of those guys want to get a decent chunk of change. And arguably, Ripper is the best out of all three of them, and is used to getting paid at a certain level.

I checked out a few clips -- it was cool to see the three of them, but (total speculation here) if Ripper wasn't getting paid what he was used to getting, then I don't blame him for stepping aside.

But he specifically ruled out working with Geoff in particular, and then said he WOULD be working with Blaze.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: June 15, 2017, 10:12:47 AM »

But he specifically ruled out working with Geoff in particular, and then said he WOULD be working with Blaze.

Did I misread it? I could have sworn he said that Geoff and Blaze may take it to Europe, but he (Ripper) would not be a part of it.

Edit -- I see what you noted now. Hmm. Interesting. I dunno, I still say money is the primary reason. I don't want to get too negative, but if you know the history of the Tates, usually a couple reasons come into play ultimately with these types of things. Best wishes to everyone involved. Looking forward to Ripper's next project and the next Tate acoustic tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #836 on: June 15, 2017, 10:22:40 AM »
That headline is misleading and very clickbaity. They make it sound like there were problems, but Ripper said "unfortunlately he wont be working with him" and overall it was a great time.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #837 on: June 15, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
I don't know why, but it strikes me as sad when I see these three guys touring together. It's like "hey, look at us, we used to sing in legendary bands, but we don't anymore, so we'll get together and throw in some old Ryche, Priest and Maiden songs all together."

Gimme a solo Blaze Bayley performance instead, thank you very much.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: June 15, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »
I don't know why, but it strikes me as sad when I see these three guys touring together. It's like "hey, look at us, we used to sing in legendary bands, but we don't anymore, so we'll get together and throw in some old Ryche, Priest and Maiden songs all together."

Gimme a solo Blaze Bayley performance instead, thank you very much.

I'm with you, honestly. The Trinity thing didn't happen near me, but had it, I wouldn't have gone. It was something I think they were all hoping would grab the interests of promoters, and it didn't. That's the issue with this stuff. Had it been Dickinson and Halford touring together doing something similar, I think it would be huge -- because they are still in their bands, and they have much bigger profiles. Promoters would have anted up because they know people would come check it out.

But for two replacement singers of legendary bands, and one original singer whose reputation has been soiled publicly, there's just not enough there (if I was a promoter) to throw cash at them. It was gimmicky. Whereas, if it was 15 years ago, and Dickinson-Halford-Tate, it would have been huge. They honestly should have made that happen.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #839 on: June 15, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
That headline is misleading and very clickbaity. They make it sound like there were problems, but Ripper said "unfortunlately he wont be working with him" and overall it was a great time.
I disagree. Sure he said "unfortunately", but then he followed that up with "So we'll leave it at that. But I will be working with Blaze Bayley." In other words, there's a lot more dirt to the story than he's willing to bring up because he doesn't want to create a bunch of negativity. Which is probably why he also said "It was a lot of fun — we laughed a lot and had a good time." Probably some truth to that, but probably just as much PR talk as anything. Considering Tater's ways, including that of his manager wife, I'd be surprised if there wasn't problems! Seems that several well known or semi-well known musicians seem to distance themselves from the Taters after working with them, for whatever reason, such as Glen Drover, the Sarzo brothers, Craig Locicero, etc.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.