Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148159 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Wait, did I not make up Taint!? I just randomly decided to call it that. I mean, I didn't add the 'ryche', but dag nab it!  :lol I guess it is a pretty obvious thing to jump to.

That's awesome. And yes to the loogie.

Portnoy was calling him Geoff Taint way back.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Ohhhh nice, bwaha. Portnoy would do that publicly... (By the bye, I'm saying this as a good thing)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, at the time, people gave Portnoy a lot of crap about it.  Now that the cracks in the Geoff Tate facade are on full display, it's a different story.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Well, it was still in poor taste for Portnoy to take their spat public and call him that, even if Tate has shown himself to be the second biggest douchebag in rock music (he still can't touch Axl Rose). 

Along those lines, many have commented in the last 2 1/2 years at how poorly Portnoy has handled leaving DT with his many passive-aggressive comments online and on social media and whatnot, but compared to Tate, he looks like a saint. :lol 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Yeah, Geoff tain't even in the same ballpark as Portnoy anymore.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
but compared to Taint, he looks like a saint. :lol

Fixed for rhyming.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
So I just listened to the audio samples of FU on Itunes and its pretty meh.

and the re-recordings are just horrendous.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Same here.
Even if the music is alright, Taint ruins it completely, and even then the music is alright at best, but doesn't feel like Queensryche at all.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Okay, yeah this is exactly what I expected. I thought it was all pretty horrible and unbearable; there were a few instrumental moments that I didn't find completely unattractive though. Sweet.

Go home, Joffrey.

Dat Jet City Woman... :facepalm: ??? :huh:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Listened.  Admittedly, I had biases going in and expected to not like it.  Tried to be objective.  Did not like.  Granted, these are compressed samples only.  But I don't see myself changing my opinion anytime soon.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Pretty much what I thought it would be: a slightly heavier Geoff Tate solo album, with the same style of shitty songs he's been forcing on Queensryche for a decade now. This has no business having the name Queensryche on it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

Wow. Geoff has become William Shatner. Even modern studio trickery can't save that voice.

I liked the first track- the rest is utter bollocks. This is Geoff's "Heavy" album? And those re-records are embarrassingly awful. This is the best thing that could have happened for the official band.

I bet he thinks he nailed those old vocals  :biggrin:  :loser:

Offline Lowdz

Good god. Just got as far as Silent Lucidity. There are no words.  :rollin

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Is this only on iTunes right now?

Offline Lowdz

Is this only on iTunes right now?
The samples are, yes.

Offline jammindude

Found this on a search...and could not stop  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Greatest troll ever....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-ouxZGSnk
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Shit, I can do Jet City Woman better than that cover.

Which is what it is. A cover.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Greatest troll ever....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Man, it's like I'm watching third class Brazilian soap opera.  :lol Shits like that only happen there.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh man, these recordings are absolutely horrible.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The re-recordings sounded like karaoke versions with an unenthusiastic singer who didn't give a fuck at all.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
You guys are so stupid. Geoff Tate is the voice of a generation. THIS GENERATION! He has the voice of an angel and the   dong of Martin Luther King. AND HEADS UP. HES SMARTER THAN ANY OF YOU NOBODIES. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR LIVES? WAKE UP. when you have your own wine and were the lead singer of a band for 20 years then YOU CAN COMPLAIN. Also, his voice is still really good. Seriously, those rerecordings sound almost the exact same! Which is my only complaint. But if you closed your eyes. You would swear it was young Geoff Tate. And I'm just going to say what needs to be said. NEW QUEENSRYCHE IS BETTER THAN OLD QUEENSRYCHE. I'm GLAD Geoff started bringing in outside people even before lameasses like Cockenfeld, Whiltdick, DeSHITmo, BassEd, formed their on FAKE ASS queensryche because they couldn't handle a genius like TATE. NEW QUEENSRYCHE isn't some shitty Hair metal band, Geoff brought them in a MODERN direction with real songwriting not bullshit wanking. WAKE UP AND GET WITH IT. I LOVE YOU TATE, I SUPPORT YOU NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!

- A statement that nobody smart ever said.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Just listened to the iTunes samples.

Holy fuck. Just holy fuck. What did he do to my precious "I Don't Believe In Love"?  :sad:

As for the new songs, they seem to have the same problem I had with DTC: some of the actual music sounds promising, but Tate's warbling muppet voice takes a shitparade all over it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Mladen

Greatest troll ever....

I actually listened to a minute of this before I realized it was a joke. And what a minute it was. :lol

Offline fibreoptix

The really sad thing about the Frequency Unknown samples is that there's evidence of a pretty good album in there just trying to get out. Cold, In the Hands of God and Everything in particular strike me as songs I would be interested in hearing more of.

Unfortunately, Geoff's voice totally ruins it at every turn. At this point, I think he either needs to give up the QR name, quit music and throw himself into his wine... or work really hard, preferably with a coach... and try to salvage what little voice he has left. Because his performance on this was absolutely unacceptable.

As for the re-recordings. Totally the worst idea he's had in a long time. They only serve to further highlight how terrible he's become at his craft.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have paused the new Soilwork to listen to these samples.  I am going to jot down my thoughts in real time while I listen;

Cold - First off, the riff sounds okay and all in all the music sounds quite good, but Geoff sounds exactly the same as his solo album, flat and without melody.  The song has potential though.

Dare - Reminds me off something from Tribe, but worse since I love Tribe.  Shit chorus.

Give it To You - Oh fuck, straight away you know this isn't gonna be anything good.

Slave - Nice riff indeed straight up, I like that.  Hang on, has Geoff got asthma or something or is he having a heart attack while trying to sing here.

In the Hands of God - This sounds okay and Geoff sounds like he slightly gives a fuck here.

Running Backwards - Nice music and guitar straight up, I like where this is goin........"Last time I looked you weren't feeling too good... about love." For fucks sake G-Dog!!!  You've ruined another fucking song.

Life Without You - Again, music sounds really promising here and I love the try hard Mindcrime clean guitar sound.  Geoff shoots, but misses.  His vocals are just flat.

Everything - Now the samples are sounding pretty similar with not much variety showing which could hurt things.  Not sure what Geoff is going for here, is this his 'sexy' voice or something, or can he not open his mouth to sing anymore?

Fallen - Okay, I'm over it now, I want to put my Soilwork cd back on, but the covers are coming up, I gotta check these out.

The Weight of the World - Oh fuck no!  NEXT!

I Don't Believe in Love - What the fuck is the guitarist using here, a home made guitar and a $50 practice amp, Jesus.  The drummer doesn't believe in this song either by the sounds of it, I swear the tempo got slower as the sample went on.  Geoff sounds like a cat getting tortured here too.  Absolute tripe.

Empire - The practice amps are out again.  Fuck Geoff......fuck.........fuck no....NOOOOO!!!

Jet City Woman - "Everytime I LEAVE."  :rollin :rollin :rollin  Is this that show where the contestants sing the song and have to sing the missing lines, holy fucking fuck!!  :rollin

Silent Lucidity - Geoff 'chorus' Tate.  I have never heard so much chorus and reverb saturating a vocal line.

Well, the re-recordings sound like they deserve to be hunted down and stabbed with pitchforks, they are just terrible, Geoff must be fucking crazy to put these on an official album.  Eddie, Scott, and Michael are going to have the party of their life listening to these.

Although, I will say, there is some promise with the original material, and I will probably check it out.  It's pretty much the same as Tate's last album, but I didn't mind some of that.  The problem is he just can't keep a memorable or focused vocal melody, and it just sounds like he's scatting or something the whole time.  Geoff is definitely the weak link here.  I ahve no doubt the other version of this band will top this whole album in one or two songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
As for the re-recordings. Totally the worst idea he's had in a long time. They only serve to further highlight how terrible he's become at his craft.

I really don't know what he was thinking.  No good could come of further inviting comparison to his former glory. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Did they use MIDI for the Empire cover?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Hopefully Tate's Queensryche will realize he's the weak link, and kick him out to continue as a second Queensryche, leaving Geoff to begin a third Queensryche so that the cycle can begin anew.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Is it just me, or does the recording sound like:

1.) Geoff Tate singing through practice amp
2.) Guitar played through digitech effects board with built-in drum loops
3.) Very low-volume, lurking and barely audible bass, maybe just guitar played again with pedal octave controls

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tate just put this out to serve as a low-budget, high-reward "F-U" to QR and their fans.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Hopefully Tate's Queensryche will realize he's the weak link, and kick him out to continue as a second Queensryche, leaving Geoff to begin a third Queensryche so that the cycle can begin anew.  :lol

Oh god... one can dream. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

Oh god... one can dream. :D

that. would. be. awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, I have to say, while there are moments that sound decent (mostly in the music, not the vocals), as a whole, this is just awful.  I know tastes differ, but I don't see how anyone with any objectivity can say otherwise.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Could this be deliberate sabotage to the real Queensryche?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Could this be deliberate sabotage to the real Queensryche?

You know, as crazy as it sounds, that thought occurred to me, and I just can't rule it out.  I mean, think about it:  Fans who have been following the fiasco closely enough to really know what is going on have largely already made up their minds, whether they are in Tate's camp only, Queensryche's only, or will buy both and just decide what they like.  Fans who have NOT been following and have no clue are only going to see that it is "Queensryche's 13th album," hear that it is horrible, and probably never buy a thing from the band again, including Queensryche's actual album that comes out in June.  Does that hurt Geoff in the slightest?  Not really.  He knows he likely only can get away with using the Queensryche name until November.  After that, everything he does will be under a different name.  Again, as far as the majority of rock fans out there who don't follow the news closely, it'll be the Queensryche name that is damaged, not necessarily Tate's name.  He can pick up the pieces of his career and move on with whatever project he decides to do.  And a bad album doesn't really hurt his upcoming tour either.  A decent amount of people will come just because it's being touted as "Queensryche playing Operation: Mindcrime."  Again, for those who don't know any better, a bad new album won't matter--they will just want to see "Queensryche" doing Mindcrime.  So in the grand scheme of things, Geoff surely knowing he can't win the lawsuit anyway (at least, not in terms of getting control of the band name) isn't really hurt at all by a bad album.  It's not like it was going to sell a lot of copies anyway even if it was decent.  But a bad album hurts the Queensryche name in the short run.  So, yeah, I think there is a good case that this was deliberate sabotage, and pretty well done too in that the ablum is bad enough to alienate potential casual Queensryche fans, but a just decent enough effort for plausible deniability.  It's brilliant.