Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148713 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« Reply #595 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »
After hearing those samples a couple more times I really don't know how a label could sign him. His vocals are gone.

Frontiers are getting pretty lenient lately.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #596 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:31 PM »
new video out.

I actually like this song more than the new QR, most likely because he rips off original Mindcrime songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX7lRZmt8Hw
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: July 28, 2015, 01:19:20 PM »
That is a pretty decent song , if a bit derivative of older material - Tate's voice ain't what it used to be , but the song is fine .   I doubt that is representative of the whole album though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline emtee

« Reply #598 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »
Shocking. I expected to HATE it and I actually like it.

Wow.

I'm confused

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: July 28, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »
Is that John Moyer on bass?

So he left AdMob for This?

I guess that MIGHT be a step up.

Edit: Yep it's him according to Wikipedia.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: July 28, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
Moyer is also in Scott Weiland's band Art of Anarchy.  I think he likes Tate.  I met him at an A-Mob autograph signing/acoustic show last year and I asked him his thoughts about Tate.  He spoke glowingly of him and said he's not a douche at all, or something along those lines, lol.  I forget his exact words.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: July 28, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Moyer is also in Scott Weiland's band Art of Anarchy.  I think he likes Tate.  I met him at an A-Mob autograph signing/acoustic show last year and I asked him his thoughts about Tate.  He spoke glowingly of him and said he's not a douche at all, or something along those lines.  I forget his exact words.

Maybe it was already in the works for him to join. Though I thought I just heard that Disturbed were about to write another album/get together and do some work so it seems odd for Moyer to be over  in Tates camp when his big payday is cooking up new stuff.

Calvin6s

« Reply #602 on: July 28, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »
The new music video Re-Inventing the Future is not all that bad.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that they kind of need each other musically.  The QR band is old school QR.  Not just prime era old school, but the pre and beginning of the prime.  Tate seems to be the post-prime QR era, but when they truly work together you get the mix of the two that gives the true prime era.  The problem is that they weren't together even when they were together.  It strikes me as odd that Tate seems to be making the effort to go more back to that prime post-separation, when doing that pre-separation might have stopped the separation (and end of years decline) altogether.

It is kind of showing that had they not found each other, they might have just been another good but not great band.

This is of course disregarding the importance of DeGarmo completely, but that isn't an option so why dwell on it.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #603 on: July 28, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
The new music video Re-Inventing the Future is not all that bad.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that they kind of need each other musically.  The QR band is old school QR.  Not just prime era old school, but the pre and beginning of the prime.  Tate seems to be the post-prime QR era, but when they truly work together you get the mix of the two that gives the true prime era.  The problem is that they weren't together even when they were together.  It strikes me as odd that Tate seems to be making the effort to go more back to that prime post-separation, when doing that pre-separation might have stopped the separation (and end of years decline) altogether.

It is kind of showing that had they not found each other, they might have just been another good but not great band.

This is of course disregarding the importance of DeGarmo completely, but that isn't an option so why dwell on it.

I have to disagree; the fact of the matter is that Tate isn't really interested in making the sort of music that Queensryche fans want. At this point, he's just doing it out of necessity.

I'm willing to wait and see what the actual QR bring us on the new album, because I saw a lot of potential on the s/t album two years ago. There's no way that they'll be exactly like the Queensryche of old, but I think they can evolve into a band that's still really great and musically consistent (i.e. Andi Deris-era Helloween). 
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #604 on: July 28, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
Shocking. I expected to HATE it and I actually like it.

Wow.

I'm confused

This is the way I feel as well. It's kind of sad to think that the potential for him to make at least listenable music has been there for these last several years, but he chose to take a different path.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: July 28, 2015, 05:48:43 PM »
that is actually a pretty good song.

way better then i expected

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #606 on: July 28, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »
that is actually a pretty good song.

way better then i expected

Of course it is; it's basically a combination of The Mission and Eyes of a Stranger musically. The vocals are still pretty weak though.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #607 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »
I have to disagree; the fact of the matter is that Tate isn't really interested in making the sort of music that Queensryche fans want. At this point, he's just doing it out of necessity. 

I'm with you.  It's hard to know what Geoff is really interested in and what he isn't, because he is so inconsistent in what he says from moment to moment, and he constantly revises his own history.  You never even know when he is somewhat telling the truth anymore.  But he has demonstrated through his words and his actions that he isn't really interested in making the music that Queensryche fans generally want, as you said.  But if he was painted into a corner before, he is even moreso now.  He has to somewhat cater to the sound the fans expect if he wants to eat.

As far as the song itself, there is a lot that I am surprised to say that I like.  Instrumentally, I like it a LOT.  I listened a couple of times and tried to focus on what each instrument was doing, and there is a lot that is interesting and sounds great.  The melodies are interesting and just sound...well, good.  The guitar work, including Kelly's solo, is solid.  I like the bass groove.  The keyboards added some nice atmosphere in the background.  And this is really the first time I have heard Simon be able to kind of do his own thing and be a bit creative on drums, and I like what I heard there as well (assuming it is him playing on the studio track--given Geoff's M.O. the past few albums, I do not want to assume).  I really wonder who wrote the music.  I am not sure if Slater is still doing the lion's share, if the band is writing, or if Geoff is using other outside writers.  But this isn't bad at all.

Then we move on to the vocals...  I like the bridge and chorus a lot.  But another way of saying that is, I like the parts of the song that everyone NOT named Geoff Tate are singing.  The melodies on the chorus and bridge sound pretty good.  The lead on the verse is typically flat, uninteresting 2000s Geoff Tate, sadly.  And his voice sounds as burned out and strained as ever.  He sounds a bit better than on D2C and FU.  I would probably say his voice sounds about as it did in the American Soldier era.  But the problem is, even that level is just...not good.  It's a studio recording, for crying out loud!  If he can't manage to sound any better in studio with everything a studio environment provides, then the man really should hang it up.  He is singing from the throat and just sounds so thin and strained.  Ugh.  As has sadly been the case for too long, Geoff Tate is the weakest link in his own music.  Sad.

I'm willing to wait and see what the actual QR bring us on the new album, because I saw a lot of potential on the s/t album two years ago. There's no way that they'll be exactly like the Queensryche of old, but I think they can evolve into a band that's still really great and musically consistent (i.e. Andi Deris-era Helloween). 

I lost faith a while ago.  The last album was really good, despite some flaws in writing.  But the band has done far too little for far too long.  I just don't know if they have it in them.  If we get something good, that's terrific.  But I'm not holding my breath.  I've sort of moved on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Deathless

« Reply #608 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
One thing I don't get, Tate ranted about how he wanted to move on from QR and "push the limits" etc, then he releases essentially a huge rip-off of QR's classic sound?

He's only pandering to sell copies and gain support. I'm sure Frontiers had a heavy hand in this as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #609 on: July 28, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »
He's only pandering to sell copies and gain support.

:lol  You just now noticed?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Deathless

« Reply #610 on: July 28, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
He's only pandering to sell copies and gain support.

:lol  You just now noticed?

Hmm, no. But in light of the positive vibes and reviews this song has gotten... definitely. I haven't paid much attention to the man since he was kicked out of the band!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
I'm sure Frontiers had a heavy hand in this as well.

I think you're right -no way Serafino gave Tate full creative license.   They want to make money off the Mindcrime name and if it sounded like Dedicated to Cabaret then it'd be a waste of everyone's time and money.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #612 on: July 29, 2015, 12:48:20 AM »
This song should be named Re-Inventing The Past because it is blatantly ripping off Operation Mindcrime, as someone already said it is very reminiscent of The Mission and Eyes Of A Stranger.

That said, this song isn't bad, it's actually quite decent if not for the flat vocals. I can understand that Tate is not going for the high vocals anymore, but his singing is totally devoid of any feeling and emotion.

I wonder who wrote that song, Tate probably claims 81%, but this sound like someone (Frontiers?) hired some guys with the task to write songs that are listenable and sound like OM.

And what's with the hair, is this tacked on or implanted?  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: July 29, 2015, 05:52:58 AM »
Hmmm....This is a surprise and already better than anything from FU.  You can hear he's really tried to re-write OM songs, but it's still better than what he was coming up with.  His vocals are piss weak though and bring the song down a bit IMO, but I might check this out.

And yes, Frontiers definitely would have had big input as to what the band put out.  Good thing they didn't get Tolkki to write it.  :lol  Saying that about Tate is sad on Tolkki's part.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #614 on: July 29, 2015, 06:01:13 AM »
My reaction:

J/k, it's surprisingly good, but also smells like a calculated attempt at winning over the fans who turned their backs on Tate and making them think the whole album will sound like classic QR.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #615 on: July 29, 2015, 06:14:55 AM »

Calvin6s

« Reply #616 on: July 29, 2015, 06:17:18 AM »
But he's doing it.  That's the whole point.  Who cares what the motivations are.  If my motivation is to write an album that will reproduce a top selling artist, it doesn't mean I can do it.  And we are talking about somebody that was there during QR's prime.  So I can't call it mimic work.

And my point was the QR sans Tate releases are good, but missing something.  Tate sans QR is good, but missing something.  They are missing the chemistry they get working together.  They don't have to work together considering the history, but it seems to be hurting them by not doing so.

This is all musically speaking.  The fact that Tate could do this all this time only makes the fact that he wouldn't when he had "the QR" guys actually makes him more of a Taint.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: July 29, 2015, 06:25:10 AM »
But he's doing it.  That's the whole point.  Who cares what the motivations are.  If my motivation is to write an album that will reproduce a top selling artist, it doesn't mean I can do it.  And we are talking about somebody that was there during QR's prime.  So I can't call it mimic work.

And my point was the QR sans Tate releases are good, but missing something.  Tate sans QR is good, but missing something.  They are missing the chemistry they get working together.  They don't have to work together considering the history, but it seems to be hurting them by not doing so.

This is all musically speaking.  The fact that Tate could do this all this time only makes the fact that he wouldn't when he had "the QR" guys actually makes him more of a Taint.

I might have missed something earlier, but their output since PL has suffered because of this.  Working together has obviously hurt the rest of the band's output and the last QR album showed this.

Tate's voice won't work on QR's new material which is fresh solid, powerful and sees the band actually enjoying what they are doing again.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:31:27 AM by wolfking »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #618 on: July 29, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »

I might have missed something earlier, but their output since PL has suffered because of this.  Working together has obviously hurt the rest of the band's output and the last QR album showed this.

Tate's voice won't work on QR's new material which is fresh solid, powerful and sees the band actually enjoying what they are doing again.

Exactly. Working together with Tate isn't the answer for the QR, because he had absolutely no interest in doing so to begin with. Hell, they even tried to get a reunion with DeGarmo going back during Tribe and Tate seemingly ended up driving him away for good too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline emtee

« Reply #619 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:37 AM »
From 301 views yesterday when I first checked it out to almost 25K at 9:45 est.

Not bad. I had lost all hope for this guy. IF...if this album is on par with this song I will buy it for sure even though I think he is
a rotten human being.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #620 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:57 AM »
I'm shocked. It's actually listenable....(but then, I liked half of OM:2)  :blush
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #621 on: July 29, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
I'm shocked. It's actually listenable....(but then, I liked half of OM:2)  :blush

Hey, there was actually a pretty good portion of Slatercrime2 that was really good.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #622 on: July 29, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
It makes sense the music is influenced by OM. After all,  the band is called Operation: Mindcrime. Which makes me laugh how people are about the single having OM's likeness
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: July 29, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »
I think his vocals on this song sound better then anything since OM:2
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:08:24 PM by jjrock88 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #624 on: July 29, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »

Hey, there was actually a pretty good portion of Slatercrime2 that was really good.

I agree. Been ages since I have listened, but other than the shitty idea of making a Part 2, I never thought it embarrassingly sucked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #625 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Up until The Chase, it is actually quite good.  Then we get to The Chase, and...er, what?  Thankfully, Murderer? puts the listener's mind back at ease.  But then...we have the last half of the album, unfortunately, which DOES embarrassingly suck (with a couple of exceptions). 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #626 on: July 30, 2015, 12:41:17 AM »
It makes sense the music is influenced by OM. After all,  the band is called Operation: Mindcrime. Which makes me laugh how people are about the single having OM's likeness

On some level it makes sense but that isn't why I'm laughing.

First: I think it isn't only influenced by OM it is kinda ripped off and second: Tate was always about doing his own thing and not caring what the masses want, artistic freedom etc. bla bla bla. And then he writes (or hires writers who write) exactly the songs where probably the most money lies. I call hypocrite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:13 AM »
Up until The Chase, it is actually quite good.  Then we get to The Chase, and...er, what?  Thankfully, Murderer? puts the listener's mind back at ease.  But then...we have the last half of the album, unfortunately, which DOES embarrassingly suck (with a couple of exceptions).

I pretty much agree with this.  I totally get lost during that second half.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #628 on: July 30, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »
I just remember thinking: ´wait...This was the ending?´  ???
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #629 on: July 30, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
First: I think it isn't only influenced by OM it is kinda ripped off and second

It's got to be intentional though. Even the drum fills 2/3 of the way through the song are obviously re-purposed from the ones at the end of Eyes Of A Stranger.

I'm not against the idea of them doing this, but it leaves a little bit of a sour taste when it's in the song they chose as the first one for everyone to hear.