Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148615 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
To assume it's bad because of some grand plan is probably giving too much credit. :lol It's bad because it's bad.

I'd assume it's extra bad because it was rushed to get it out in time under the Queensryche name to get some sales from bandname recognition before that's no longer an option.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes, it's bad because it was rushed.  But why was it rushed?  The number of extra sales isn't likely to be much, actually.  The only reason to rush is to get it out before the Queensryche album comes out. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Yes, it's bad because it was rushed.  But why was it rushed?  The number of extra sales isn't likely to be much, actually.  The only reason to rush is to get it out before the Queensryche album comes out. 

There's that too, I suppose. But I think even the "not many" sales he will get this way is probably more than he'll get when he has to release it under a different name.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I think if this was deliberate sabotage Geoff would not have gone through the trouble of having all those guest musicians.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I think if this was deliberate sabotage Geoff would not have gone through the trouble of having all those guest musicians.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the label's doing. It is Cleopatra Records, the label that does all those classic rock tribute albums with tons of special guests. They are probably responsible for the re-recordings too, as they can put them on compilations (and, I assume, license them to movies, TV shows, etc).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Oh, I didn't really know the label at all, but from that description they are class acts just like Magna Carta most likely...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
If Geoff comes out with his album first, does that help his legal case at all? I know part of what helps you patent a band name in the beginning is being able to show that you're selling music nationally under the name.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
From a purely legal standpoint, it means nothing.  Does it allow his lawyers to make a factual argument about him being more dialed in and focused?  Maybe, but it's a pretty thin argument if you ask me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
I never cared for Queensryche and I only opened this thread for the drama but couldn't help but laugh at that cover  :rollin. Tate is so subtle  :lol.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
How much did Dedicated To Chaos sell its first week? 8000 copies? Do you think that was in-the-know fans or casual fans? Because I can't imagine either of the new albums selling much better than that, unless a lot of in-the-know fans buy the La Torre album and skip the Tate one.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Lowdz

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the label's doing. It is Cleopatra Records, the label that does all those classic rock tribute albums with tons of special guests. They are probably responsible for the re-recordings too, as they can put them on compilations (and, I assume, license them to movies, TV shows, etc).

Having heard the samples at iTunes no-one is going to license those clips. Silent Lucidity is laughably bad.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
How much did Dedicated To Chaos sell its first week? 8000 copies? Do you think that was in-the-know fans or casual fans? Because I can't imagine either of the new albums selling much better than that, unless a lot of in-the-know fans buy the La Torre album and skip the Tate one.

6000 copies, if memory serves.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No, it was 8000.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I thought it was 6000, and it was hilarious because Symphony X sold more records with 8000.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

6000 copies, if memory serves.

Google is hard.

"Dedicated To Chaos", the new album from Seattle progressive rockers QUEENSRŸCHE, sold 8,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 70 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Offline Jaq

Actually caring about Geoff Tate's Queensryche enough to google that shit is harder.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
What a circus.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188056

New Album From GEOFF TATE's QUEENSRŸCHE Still On Course For April 23 Release - Mar. 28, 2013

Deadline Music/Cleopatra has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding the reports that "Frequency Unknown", the new album from the Geoff Tate-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE, was being remixed by acclaimed musician, record producer and engineer Billy Sherwood:

"Since previews of the new QUEENSRŸCHE album were made available to the general public on iTunes and other digital retailers, some of the response has been less than positive. Some complained about the overall quality of the recordings, and in particular the mix. We here at Deadline Music have the utmost confidence in the powerful songwriting and outstanding performances from Geoff Tate and crew on this album, but we also want the fans to know that we are listening to them as well! So, in the interest of democratic free choice, Deadline Music has commissioned the superbly talented musician/producer Billy Sherwood (formerly of YES) to remix the album. Now fans will be able to decide which mix they feel best represents the album: the original mix, which will be released on April 23rd, or the new mix by Billy Sherwood that will be made available at a future date to be announced…. WE REMIX, YOU DECIDE!"

Sherwood revealed in a posting on his Facebook page on Monday that he was hired to remix "Frequency Unknown". Sherwood wrote: "[It] seems there are sonic issues with the previous versions and so I shall be fixing it for all to enjoy. [I am] starting on it [Wednesday] morning [March 27]."

"Frequency Unknown" was produced by Jason Slater at a studio in Northern California.

Although a lineup for Tate's QUEENSRŸCHE was originally announced in the fall of 2012, things have changed. The band will now feature Tate along with bassist Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, DIO, WHITESNAKE, QUIET RIOT), guitarist Kelly Gray (QUEENSRŸCHE 1998-2001), keyboardist Randy Gane and new additions, guitarist Robert Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, HURRICANE) and drummer Simon Wright (AC/DC, DIO, RHINO BUCKET). Guest musicians on the CD include K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST), Chris Poland (MEGADETH), Ty Tabor (KING'S X), Paul Bostaph (SLAYER, TESTAMENT, EXODUS), Lita Ford, Brad Gillis (NIGHT RANGER), Dave Meniketti (Y&T) and Craig Locicero (FORBIDDEN).
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Jaq

This just keeps getting funnier by the minute.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Since previews of the new QUEENSRŸCHE album were made available to the general public on iTunes and other digital retailers, some of the response has been less than positive. Some The majority complained about the overall quality of the recordings, and in particular the mix. Geoff Tate sounding like a bag of dicks.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Billy Sherwood's a great choice for Tatesryche, considering the dude has mostly worked on tribute albums for the last 10 years.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure this announcement is going to do wonders for album sales.  "Buy the crappy mix version now, or wait until some indefinite time in the future to get a good mix!"   ::)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Billy Sherwood's a great choice for Tatesryche, considering the dude has mostly worked on tribute albums for the last 10 years.
To be fair, he's also made a lot of original music (solo, Circa, and Yoso) recently. But still, his career is mostly focused around tribute albums...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, there is already a cash grab re-release before the original is even released.  This is really absurd, they are getting someone to remix it but still happy enough with the original final product to make fans buy it.  :facepalm:

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a scheme to boost album sales, so they/Tate can proclaim to have sold more copies than the real Queensryche's new album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Possibly.  It will be interesting to see if the re-released one will have different bonus tracks or something to boost the sales.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Somebody really needs to make a reality show with Geoff Tate.  People love that stuff and I think Tate would not only thrive, but would become a pretty big mainstream star as a result.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
It's probably already in the works.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Somebody really needs to make a reality show with Geoff Tate.  People love that stuff and I think Tate would not only thrive, but would become a pretty big mainstream star as a result.

I totally agree.  At the very least, I could see him on a celeb-reality television show.  Also, if they ever resurrect VH1's "Behind the Music," Queensrÿche would make a great episode.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.

I totally agree.  At the very least, I could see him on a celeb-reality television show.  Also, if they ever resurrect VH1's "Behind the Music," Queensrÿche would make a great episode.

:rollin This. He's a male Snookie at this point. I would totally watch that.

Queenshore

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

:rollin This. He's a male Snookie at this point. I would totally watch that.

Queenshore

He's half way there with that eyeliner.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, say what you want, but it's hard to make any other case. Geoff Tate puts the "Queen" in Queensryche.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Personally, I'm hoping for a 3rd edition to come out.  "Super Duper Deluxe Import Collector's Edition".  This would contain the original mix, the remix, third disc of outakes/demos and a dvd with a making of FU.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Billy Sherwood has just withdrawn from remixing the album! :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Oh, shit...  :rollin

It's apparently beyond help...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
well, that was short-lived
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.