Author Topic: A Perfect Circle  (Read 6789 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: A Perfect Circle
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »
holy OP. Whatchu talkin bout, Zook?! strongest song on both albums be a second half track, yo.

also, Nursie's awesome. I feel like its my bud's favourite tune on there. or at least the one the makes him the happiest.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
Hey OP

I disagree with you about 13th Step, i think all the songs are fantastic, even the short little ones like Stranger and Nurse. At first they seemed like afterthoughts, added cuz there was room. But quickly they turned into favorites. Crimes would be my least favorite. But its all great. I really enjoy Nurse who loved me. Gravity was awesome too. Really felt like an album closer, made especially for the themes of this album.

I kinda agree about Mer de Noms. KINDA. Id say the first 6 are the ones i listen too the most. But Sleeping Beauty is a good one. But i kinda agree, on mer de noms the first 6/7 are the best. But there is something about Over that really effects me emotionally...

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
I cant often pick favourite songs, but I gotta give it up to Brena on that first album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
APC was the first band I ever saw live and it was on the Mer de noms tour. Very incredible show.

For me, mer de noms was on constant rotation when it first came out, but kind of fell out of favor when 13th step came out, which I feel is overall a better album. But some of my favorite APC songs are off of Mer de noms like:

1. 3 Libras
2. The hollow
3. orestes
4. Brena

Such A great band, I wish they were more active.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 02:52:50 AM »
That new single that's out is great. Very popular on the radio. Sounds great, clearly 13th Step is the album that showcases their definitive, cuz this song definately has that vibe and sounds like APC. They sound like no other rock band. I love that their vibe. So.....floaty. And dreamlike. I'v always thought 13th step sounded like a modern version of The Cure's Disintegration. Did i say that already? oh well..

And I have a strong feeling that APC will release another full-length album. Likely sometime after Tool's next album, which their actually working on. And judging by the most recent update on Tool, there's AT LEAST one song the Maynard has or is doing vocals/lyrics for.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:53 AM »
Listened to them for the first time couple weeks back. Mer De Noms is awesome.  :tup

Offline growthmusic57

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
I'd say both albums are fantastic from beginning to end. Anyone who likes APC should also check out Ashes Divide.

eMotive sucks, but I've always pretended it just doesn't exist.

Agreed with all of this. And I don't think that APC's albums suffer half-way through. "Gravity" is probably one of their best tracks, and a killer album closer. Maynard's performance on that track is extremely good.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
Gravity is good, but it sounds like something Godsmack would do ala Voodoo/Spiral.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
Yea, Gravity is great and such a great closer. The lyrics end things perfectly.

They had a huge change in sound and style from Mer De Noms to 13th Step. Love Mer De Nom; it sounds more like one of those 'Tool-lite' bands like Taproot or Chevelle or Evans Blue. With 13th Step they found their sound, which is entirely original and unique with more feeling and texture in their music.

I love Maynards singing and lyrics but I think his weakest lyrics are on Tool's 10 000 Days. Along with Lateralus, 13th Step is where he wrote his best lyrics. Maybe he was worn out from writing such deep and emotional lyrics that he decided to take things less seriously with 10 000 Days. It still has some great and deep lyrics, especially the 2-parter, but overall was his weakest work.

Offline growthmusic57

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
Gravity is good, but it sounds like something Godsmack would do ala Voodoo/Spiral.

Haha, I suppose that might be true... Either way, the song is great (and I do like "Spiral," to be honest). And yes, NotePad, 13th Step really surpassed Mer De Noms in terms of originality. MDN is kinda spotty to me, whereas 13S is a quality listen front-to-back in my opinion.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
Was listening to Mer De Noms today and i noticed how flat the sound is. I guess i always thought something was off about the sound quality, but never really thought too much or put my finger on it. Kinda flat, is the production ;)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 04:54:59 AM »
I don't think there's anything off with the sound quality at all. The production is just unique sounding IMO.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
Was listening to Mer De Noms today and i noticed how flat the sound is. I guess i always thought something was off about the sound quality, but never really thought too much or put my finger on it. Kinda flat, is the production ;)

i think it's the guitars. they have a strange hollowed-out thing happening — probably something to do with how they mic'd the amp and how they processed the mics afterward. also could be the amp itself.

the rest sounds absolutely pristine, though; it has one of my favourite drum mixes ever, especially the crispy-ass cymbal tasties at the end of "Breña."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »
They've officially released a new song prior to the start of their tour.

"The Doomed."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6kd0FQhd5k
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:59:55 PM by pogoowner »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
It sounds exactly like the followup to Thirtieth Step

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »
I like it. Seems Billy Howerdel might be a Maiden fan, which I wouldn't have guessed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »
APC was the first concert I ever saw and in 2000 they were my favorite band. I liked 13th step a lot, but them fizzling out with Emotive was very disappointing to me and them to become inactive besides sporadic touring was even more disappointing. So I am definitely hungry for new material.

This new song doesn't really do anything for me and is kind of disjointed. If an album happens to follow, then I will definitely check it out though. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
I enjoy eMOTIVE. Some good interpretations of those songs. Especially Imagine and When The Levee Breaks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »
I like some songs: judith, orestes, 3 libras ando specially... The nurse who loved me, i really love that song!

When i've tried to listen to the albums from start to finish i get really bored, i can't get into tool neither (except for a few songs).

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2018, 06:59:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05S9cq2bLY

APC easy as 1-2-3 have surprise dropped a new song from their upcoming album called "Disillusioned". It's a lot different, much softer than The Doomed. It's not really what I would have expected from them, but I really like it based on the first listen.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2018, 07:13:39 AM »
Cool song. I like it quite a bit, and much more than The Doomed.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:53 AM »
Thread merge?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
New album out today. The first in like 14 years.

I think its pretty weak and too mellow. Some the songs I really like, where as most of it I find to be meh. This band used a dark, aggressive, yet somber sound. I don't know where their balls went. just listen to the opening track Eat the elephant and then go and listen to The Hallow from their debut album. HUGE difference. One kicks ass and the other is putting me to sleep.

I will give it some more spins though. I like Disillusioned, TalkTalk, By and down the river and Feathers. That's about it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:08:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
Haven't heard it yet, but all my friends seem super disappointed in it. Not boding well. Still need to give it a spin myself though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »
Only heard the first couple of songs but it's not bad. Can't wait to give it a full listen tomorrow.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
I thought it was decent. Wasn't able to give it a dedicated listen though.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »
I'm really enjoying it so far. Just finished TalkTalk, a badass song. The mellowness doesn't bother me at all.

I didn't listen to any of the songs prior to now, I probably listened to The Doomed but like once and I wasn't paying much attention to it. So its all fresh to me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
So just gave the album a first listen on the ride home and while it's not bad I would rate it third right above eMotive.

I will say Delicious is one of the best songs they have put out.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »
I liked Eat the Elephant. I need to listen to it more to give better judgement though. To be fair the tracks I had heard before (The Doomed, Disillusioned, TalkTalk, So Long...) were the ones I liked the most. I think I had heard live versions of Hourglass and Feathers back when the album wasn't even announced. Hourglass pretty much surprised me since it was one of their more experimental tracks, being almost an industrial metal song.

I don't mind the calmer and more keyboard driven sound, or neither the fact it isn't as dark as their first two albums. It's just cool they´re not repeating their earlier albums (and here I'll say I haven't listened to eMotive because I don't care about cover albums). It might just be that Billy and Maynard might not be in such a dark state of mind. I think Thirteenth Step is nigh-perfect album and I don't even think ETE is getting even near that. I'm just glad they're back. There's not enough good music in the world these days.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »
Oh and I dislike Get the Lead Out. It is pretty underwhelming album closer. Even though I like its trip-hop-ish nature, it has simply not enough content to justify its length.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »
Also, since I'm a huge fan of NIN, I feel obliged to point out:

The verses of The Contrarian (especially the first one) sounds like Right Where It Belongs.

DLB sounds somewhat like A Warm Place.

Dammit Maynard, you weren't content with stealing Passive from Trent, were you? :rollin

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2018, 10:30:52 PM »
The mellowness doesn't bother me. It's that many/most of the songs sound the same in the melody/vocals department.  Nothing turns me off more from an album than this. Hoping that with more listens they will come into their own but it's pretty obvious. My girlfriend  felt the same way when I asked her opinion while we listened to it throughout the day so it can't be all subjective on my part. Very interchangable singing and melodies throughout.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:37:28 PM by Spiritus »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 04:48:48 PM »
Feather,  oh my god  :hefdaddy

Boy do I love that song, and its been stuck in my head for days.

I also seriously love Disillusioned, talk talk and By and down the river. So damn good.