Author Topic: Help me find this movie!  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Help me find this movie!
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
Ok, so here are some things I remember about my movie:

- The genre would be mostly psychological thriller, bordering on horror, but definitely not gory (that I can remember)
- It definitely seems like a B-movie, my guess is that I saw it on USA Up All Night, but that is just a guess
- The cars/clothes/hairstyles lead me to believe it was from the 70's or maybe early 80's
- What I remember about the story: It was about a teacher and his wife (I think she was either pregnant or they had a young child) moving to a new city where he finds a teaching job at a local high school.  He starts seeing that there is something sinister going on with the students (they are evil) and he is very paranoid about them.  Eventually he feels his family is threatened and at one point in the movie someone is pushed from the top of a building - I don't know if it was the teacher, his wife, or it could have been the teacher pushing one of the students.
- The actor that played the teacher is someone that I've seen before in other movies.  To me he looks a bit like Richard Chamberlain with a beard:

He had a similar hairstyle in the movie and a full beard just like Chamberlain's.

If we can't figure it out by the story/description, I think our best bet is to figure out who the actor is and see if we can come up with a list of his movies from IMDB.

Village of the Damned?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »

- The genre would be mostly psychological thriller, bordering on horror, but definitely not gory (that I can remember)
- It definitely seems like a B-movie, my guess is that I saw it on USA Up All Night, but that is just a guess
- The cars/clothes/hairstyles lead me to believe it was from the 70's or maybe early 80's
- What I remember about the story: It was about a teacher and his wife (I think she was either pregnant or they had a young child) moving to a new city where he finds a teaching job at a local high school.  He starts seeing that there is something sinister going on with the students (they are evil) and he is very paranoid about them.  Eventually he feels his family is threatened and at one point in the movie someone is pushed from the top of a building - I don't know if it was the teacher, his wife, or it could have been the teacher pushing one of the students.
- The actor that played the teacher is someone that I've seen before in other movies.  To me he looks a bit like Richard Chamberlain with a beard:

He had a similar hairstyle in the movie and a full beard just like Chamberlain's.

If we can't figure it out by the story/description, I think our best bet is to figure out who the actor is and see if we can come up with a list of his movies from IMDB.

Raising Arizona ?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
Hmmm...first actor i thought of from that era who typically had a beard was James Brolin, but it doesn't seem to be him.

yeah, definitely not Brolin.

Village of the Damned?

not it. There were no sci-fi or possession type elements that I remember.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Children of the Corn?

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »
I was thinking of The Brood
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Children of the Corn?

would have remembered that.  It's definitely more of a B-movie, much less well known.

I was thinking of The Brood

nope.  Still thinking too much sci-fi/horror.  The high school kids weren't possessed (that I can remember), they were just evil assholes to this guy.  It was more on the psychological thriller side.

Raising Arizona ?

Well no...

unless round is funny.
Winger would be better!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »
I found a list of all the movies from Up All Night but couldn't find a movie that fits your description. I know you said it was possibly shown there but not definitely.

https://usaupallnight.blogspot.com/2011/06/coming-soon-usa-up-all-night-movie-list.html?m=1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Girls gone Wild?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
USA Up All Night - holy shit!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
any other ideas?  Anybody have any idea who the actor might be?  It seems like I've seen him in a few of these types of b-movies.
Winger would be better!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 08:53:40 AM »
I was thinking the actor could be Tom Skerritt.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
not him.  honestly, I don't even know if the guy I'm thinking of is still acting or not.  I doubt it.  At least not in major motion pictures.  Maybe in Hallmark or Lifetime type TV movies.
Winger would be better!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »

Village of the Damned?

not it. There were no sci-fi or possession type elements that I remember.

That's odd because it sounds exactly like Village of the Damned. Not trying to tell you you're wrong but literally everything you said happens in that movie.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
I assume you are speaking of this version?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_of_the_Damned_(1960_film)

My movie wasn't black and white.  The start of my movie might as well have been Mr Holland's Opus - meaning there were no mysterious things happening.  It was just a young family moving to a new area and the guy gets a job at a high school.
Winger would be better!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
Well, a lot of horror movies start that way... but Village of the Damned kids were younger than high school, guys.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
I assume you are speaking of this version?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_of_the_Damned_(1960_film)

My movie wasn't black and white.  The start of my movie might as well have been Mr Holland's Opus - meaning there were no mysterious things happening.  It was just a young family moving to a new area and the guy gets a job at a high school.

No, I'm talking about the remake by John Carpenter in 1995. I missed the part where you said the main character (teacher) had a beard because Christopher Reeve doesn't have a beard in Village of the Damned. He did kind of look like Chamberlain without a beard at the time and even had a relatively similar hairstyle. The film you describe is just oddly similar to VoTD, I'm a huge horror movie fan and I don't know of too many movies that start off almost exactly that way (minus the high school part, which I figured could have been not entirely accurate since you are asking us to help you figure out what the film is)  :lol There's even a guy that climbs up a roof and jumps off of it in the film. But yeah, I guess I didn't read too closely because he doesn't actually get pushed off, he is possessed by the kids and jumps off himself.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
ha, yeah definitely not that one.  My movie is pretty firmly in the 70's era, maybe early 80's.  The protagonist was definitely a teacher of older kids.

One of these days I'm going to figure out what that blasted movie was.  It has been bugging me for years!
Winger would be better!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »
thanks, I'll troll through it here and there.  I just wonder if it would be included at all since I would consider it to only border on horror.
Winger would be better!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »
I looked at the movies between 78-81 but couldn't find anything. There is also a chance that you are talking about a Made for TV movie, which could make it harder to pin down.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
yeah, that's a definite possibility.  Although from what I remember it was fairly "cinematic" and "film-like".
Winger would be better!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
The films description  sounds like "Sometimes They Come Back". But it wasn't released until 1991.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
yeah, sorta similar I guess, but the teacher wasn't going back to his hometown or anything like that.  It was also a very understated movie - no signs of supernatural stuff that I can remember.

Also, Otter was definitely not in it. :)
Winger would be better!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
Never figured it out, eh?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
heck no.  I went through pretty much every movie in the 70s and early 80s from the list tapsmiled posted from wikipedia and even looked up most of the leading actors but nothing looked like it or him.  I also looke dat the list of psychological thrillers and none of those were it.

I'm thinking I might try sending a note to somebody like Chris Gore to see if he knew what I was talking about.
Winger would be better!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »
From time to time I've revisited this, and I'm at a loss on both accounts.  Quite frankly, I'm useless.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »

so uh, 4 years later and . . . I found it!!

The movie is Class of 1984, released in 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tlM1gvzOsk

Ok so it wasn't a full beard but Perry King with that beard bears a passing resemblance to bearded Chamberlain.

I had no memory of Roddy McDowall and Michael J Fox (in his second movie role) being in this film.

Alice Cooper's song "I Am the Future" plays during the movie intro so I probably should have just asked TAC and he would have known the movie right off the bat.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »
And the DTF.org Tenaciousness award goes to you Big Hath!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
heh, you have no idea.  I've been trying to find out what that movie was on and off for the past 20 years or so.

Tried another run at it yesterday and one of my google combinations was something like "thriller new teacher terrorized by students pregnant wife" and it was about 4 links down the page.  I know I've tried a search on those words or very similar combination to that before.  Guess I got lucky this time.

My description of the movie actually isn't too far off now that I'm reading about it.  It's kind of amazing that I remembered that much of a movie I've only seen one time probably 25 or 30 years ago.
Winger would be better!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »
Have had trouble remembering a movie for some time now and suddenly remembered this thread. Thought I'd ask and see if anyone here knows it.

The movie is about some people trying to make some alien invasion movie, but they couldn't get the studio backing or something. So they decide to shoot it in secret. They also use a famous black actor for their leading role but they shoot all his scenes without him knowing that he's in a movie so he ends up thinking some weird shit is actually happening.

I think it ends with him agreeing to be in the movie and the fake movie ending with him having to stand on some tall building and scream something like "GO HOME, SUCKERS!".

Been trying to locate this movie for ages now but with no luck.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:06 AM »
Have had trouble remembering a movie for some time now and suddenly remembered this thread. Thought I'd ask and see if anyone here knows it.

The movie is about some people trying to make some alien invasion movie, but they couldn't get the studio backing or something. So they decide to shoot it in secret. They also use a famous black actor for their leading role but they shoot all his scenes without him knowing that he's in a movie so he ends up thinking some weird shit is actually happening.

I think it ends with him agreeing to be in the movie and the fake movie ending with him having to stand on some tall building and scream something like "GO HOME, SUCKERS!".

Been trying to locate this movie for ages now but with no luck.

Bowfinger.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 12:53:32 AM »
Hahah yeah there it is. Thanks, mate.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2017, 03:13:08 AM »
Well, since there's this thread, let's see if someone remembers a movie, maybe it sucked but the premise sounded nice and I wanted to try and see it wholly.

I don't remember the protagonist - if I did, I would browse through his filmography on IMDB. He's an almost middle aged, good looking dude, the kind you have seen here and there but you can't pinpoint his exact roles. A Pierce Brosnan kind of dude, a little tiny bit past his prime but not old yet.

The movie is about this guy taking a train and travelling back in time once he enters a gallery, he find himself in a '800 village, I've seen just the beginning so I don't know how it goes on, but at the beginning he finds this time travelling gallery by accident and he's intrigued and keeps coming back.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2017, 03:59:21 AM »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249517/ ?

That's from Googling, so I have no idea if that's even close.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.