Author Topic: The Official 2013 NFL Thread  (Read 347095 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
The Official 2013 NFL Thread
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
I was going to wait until the combine was over and trading could officially begin before starting the new one, but since we have relevant news, I guess it's time.

NFL announced 49ers agreed to trade Smith to Chiefs.  I think this is a good trade for all parties involved.  The 49ers get another $8.5 M in cap room, a VERY high second round pick (34th overall), and a possible late round pick.  Smith goes to a team with a new coach that is a QB guy, a Pro Bowl runner, and the pieces in place to become a pretty good team.  The Chiefs get a guy who is solid and can run their offense for a few years while they find and develop their QB for the future.  They would have been decent last year if they didn't turn the ball over a ridiculous amount of times.  Smith's smart "game manager" style suits their biggest weakness to a T. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The Official 2013 NFL Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
I'm excited for the Chiefs, always been a fan :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »
Shit.

I was hoping he'd go to the Jets.

Well... there's still Matt Moore.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »
I feel sorry for AS.  He helped build a great team and they trade him to a not so great team.  Thanks for all your dedication and help, but see ya....
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
The chiefs are so close to being a good team, they just need a few more pieces and AS will help that a lot

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
I feel sorry for AS.  He helped build a great team and they trade him to a not so great team.  Thanks for all your dedication and help, but see ya....

NFL- Not For Long.

I used to feel sorry for NFL players, too. Smith could have it much worse. Now he's on a good team that's building, coached by a guy who's known to bring the best out of QBs. And even if that weren't true, as long as Smith's been good with his money, he should be in a much better place than most of us will ever be in life, no matter what happens from here on out  :P

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
Did Alex Smith help build a great team or did a great team help build Alex Smith?  Let's not kid ourselves, he was a disappointment until two seasons ago, and if he was so important why did they let a guy with no experience slip into his place in the midst of a playoff run?

I didn't bother reading what the Chiefs gave up, but I think they got fleeced, anyways.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
That trade benefits both parties.  I bet both sides and players are happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
I'm not sure if Smith is better than Cassel, but I don't fault the Chiefs for making this move.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
I'm not sure if Smith is better than Cassel, but I don't fault the Chiefs for making this move.
I think they're both equally mediocre.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Did Alex Smith help build a great team or did a great team help build Alex Smith?  Let's not kid ourselves, he was a disappointment until two seasons ago, and if he was so important why did they let a guy with no experience slip into his place in the midst of a playoff run?

I didn't bother reading what the Chiefs gave up, but I think they got fleeced, anyways.

I think it's quite a bit of both, actually.  Smith is a VERY good QB, but had a different O-coordinator every year before Harbaugh got there, offensive systems that simply didn't play to his strengths, and, some years, didn't have very many offensive weapons to help him out aside from having Gore in the backfield.  So, yeah, the offense wasn't very good before Harbaugh, but that's not all on Smith at all. 

As for why he was replaced, it's just a matter of Kaep (1) being that good, and (2) it now being clear that Harbaugh's plan once he scouted Kaep in the combine leading into the 2011 season was to make him the long-term QB for the '9ers. 

I think Smith is a HUGE upgrade over Cassel.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
Smith was geared to have one of his best years ever this year, but he also was on the best team in the league. Great WR's, great run, great D. Smith had it all in his favor.

Kinda why I'm interested to see how he does elsewhere. I think he's obviously better than Cassel, and would have been better than Mark Sanchez (or Nick Foles), but I'm hesitant to call him "good".

Regardless of all that, it speaks for itself that he's a player very serious about improving his game and hungry to win. He seems like he eats, sleeps, and breathes football. Something most mediocre QB's don't have going on.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
First page!

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 07:29:34 AM »
Gah!  My eyes!  :noeyes:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »
Well they can't all be as swell as a generic-fonted 2-letter cluster in a red oval.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:32:47 AM »
Yeah, well, we'll see who's talking when you come to S.F. for the NFC Championship next season.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:11 AM »
You two.  Go to your rooms until I tell you you can come out.  No playing music or video games.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »
Yeah, well, we'll see who's talking when you come to S.F. for the NFC Championship next season.

Says the fan of the team that got away with an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit which took away our best RB, got gifted two unforced muffs on kick returns, and still basically choked away a 17-0 lead.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:56 AM »
Okay, fine then.  If that's how you want to play, I'm taking away my prediction of the Saints making it to the championship.  Consider my prediction officially revoked.  I hereby softly whisper in your ear: "for-SAY-KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN!"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
You know how I've fantasized about you whispering into my ear for some time now. Don't go ruining this gem of a moment with Systematic Chaos schlock :tdwn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »

KC definitely got fleeced, giving up that much for a guy who is at best an average NFL starting QB.  But after having the worst passing attack in the NFL in 2012, all they need is average QB play to be a lot better, and that is what Smith should give them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:42 AM »
You know how I've fantasized about you whispering into my ear for some time now. Don't go ruining this gem of a moment with Systematic Chaos schlock :tdwn

:floydapproves:

Okay then.  NFC Championship:  Nola @ S.F.  Super Bowl:  S.F. vs. K.C.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
bosk1, Andy Reid can't get to Superbowls. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
I hope he gets a ring now just so the entire city of Philadelphia comes unglued and has to go to anger management classes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
I hope he gets a ring now just so the entire city of Philadelphia comes unglued and has to go to anger management classes.

And you thought the Jersey Shore show was nuts.  That's a reality show I would watch! :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
...so you're saying you want him to beat SF in the Super Bowl?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
>Niners
>relevant news

pick one

in all seriousness, I hope the Packers retain Jennings.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:27 AM »
...so you're saying you want him to beat SF in the Super Bowl?

No.  I'm just saying, in the abstract, I'd like to see him eventually get a ring or two (and Alex getting one in the process would be nice).

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
I know, I know. :lol  You just had KC vs SF in the Super Bowl, then the next you said was you hoped Reid got a ring.  I just thought it was funny. :p

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Well, but you're just distracting from my main focus.  I'm trying to talk smack about football here.  You're expecting me to be logical and consistent.  Those don't go together.  :P

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
Yeah yorost. Ya gotta reid between the lines.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
The Ravens have agreed in principle to a deal with quarterback Joe Flacco, according to an NFL source.

The deal is not yet finalized but is expected to be signed on Monday, according to FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer, who first reported the news.

The length of the deal is six years and makes Flacco the highest-paid player in NFL history, according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that it's in excess of $120 million.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Reports-Ravens-Joe-Flacco-Reach-Agreement-In-Principle/f9bf5b26-face-4242-942e-ea075abf381a

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
Saw that earlier today.  It seems crazy to me.  But good for him that he was able to get that deal.

Offline Cable

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
The Ravens have agreed in principle to a deal with quarterback Joe Flacco, according to an NFL source.

The deal is not yet finalized but is expected to be signed on Monday, according to FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer, who first reported the news.

The length of the deal is six years and makes Flacco the highest-paid player in NFL history, according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that it's in excess of $120 million.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Reports-Ravens-Joe-Flacco-Reach-Agreement-In-Principle/f9bf5b26-face-4242-942e-ea075abf381a

Wow, yeah, so much for all the stupid talk, including in Boston, that Brady's restructured deal was going to impact Flacco.
---

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »