Author Topic: Django Unchained  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Django Unchained
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »
Just saw this last night.

Good fun film. Great characters as usual. The KKK scene had me in fits of laughter and Sam Jackson was just hysterical.

A bit of a downer when

HERE BE SPOILERS
King Shultz Dies.

SPOILERS BE GONE !
but overall not a bad film at all.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:54:19 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Django Unchained
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »
As you were.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:24:51 PM by Kotowboy »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Great movie indeed. Tarantino never disappoints me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
I was trying to think of another QT movie which has a moment of pure comedy such as the KKK scene. .

It was more like something the Coen's would do.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
Great movie indeed. Tarantino never disappoints me.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Great movie. Second best movie of 2012. The 50th best movie I've ever seen.

8.3/10 - Great

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
SPOILER TAG ACTIVATED

Well, I'm not a fan od Tarantino, and I only liked a handful of his movies (Kill Bill and Inglorious). I loved the beginning of the movie, but the way the plot was carried out was insatisfactory for me. It may just be that I don't get the purpose of Tarantino's cinema, but I was underinpressed. Acting from Waltz, Di Caprio and Phoenix was impressive as expected (to the point of the movie losing appeal to me at the demise of Waltz), but the rest of the movie... not so much.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
The spoiler sticks out plain as day for those of us using the SMF default theme. Might want to shrink it down some.

Excepting that I'm a big Tarantino fan, I largely agree with Wasteland. The first half was awesome, and like Kowtowboy, the KKK thing had me in absolute hysterics, but I thought it dragged on a bit once they got to Candyland. It was nothing against DiCaprio, who did a fine job. I just didn't think the content was good enough to keep you entertained throughout the last hour.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
:facepalm: Why did i post this in the music section ?

And why did I bring helium instead of air ?

Because you touch yourself at night?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
 ???

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
Said it in the movie thread, but I'll say it here again. Dicaprio was my favourite part about the film, to be perfectly honest. The man deserves so much more recognition for his performance.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
I'll check it out when it hits Netflix

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Said it in the movie thread, but I'll say it here again. Dicaprio was my favourite part about the film, to be perfectly honest. The man deserves so much more recognition for his performance.

I'm sure Leo will get an Academy Award one day.

He should have gotten one for Gilbert Grape. He was fantastic in that.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm a bit of a Tarantino noob, but I really loved this movie a lot. Funny because I hated Inglourious Basterds.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
I'm a bit of a Tarantino noob, but I really loved this movie a lot. Funny because I hated Inglourious Basterds.
You are a horrible person. No, really. It says that right here. We weren't even testing for that...

Anyway, it's just as good as all of his other movies, which is to say it's basically the best movie ever.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »

And just because it's fun and I'm getting good at it, I'll agree to that for the third time ^^

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
Aside from Christoph Waltz; I thought Sam Jackson was fantastic. His character was absolutely hilarious.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
Sam was so great in it! I laugh at almost everything he said!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
"What is that n***a doin' up on that neigh?"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
"What is that n***a doin' up on that neigh?"
:lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
You are a horrible person. No, really. It says that right here. We weren't even testing for that...
I know I am. :lol It was a movie that had some really badass moments, smooshed in between a shitload of dialogue I had a lot of trouble having interest in.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
The dialogue is awesome!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »
DiCaprio is always a hit or miss for me.  He was great in this film, but before this I felt the last time his acting left an impression was Gangs of New York.

Or perhaps its when he has another fine actor to bounce off of (Waltz in this case, Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:20 AM »
The dialogue is awesome!!

Yeah, that's one of the things that make me love Tarantino's movies, plus the great choices for soundtrack.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:21 AM »
Brilliant movie. Probably my third favourite Tarantino after Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »
Loved Sam in this. I'm suprised HE didn't get nominated for supporting

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 07:02:56 AM »
I didn't fully understand Sam's character. I assumed it was a big joke that he didn't realise he himself was black or something.

Or maybe he'd been around all those racist white people for so long he had become racist towards blacks too.

It was just weird but hysterical too.

Secondly - i've only seen it once so far and was half paying attention...And I know it's been discussed elsewhere..

POSSIBLE SPOILERS :

But - why didn't they just offer Candie the full $12,000 for Hildy straight up ?

I get that they wanted to try and offer him $300 for her after pretending to buy a Wrestler for $12,000 so he would give her up easily but if they were willing to part with the full $12,000 to begin with ?

Is there something I'm missing where they never intended to give up the $12,000 in the first place ?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:44 AM »
I didn't fully understand Sam's character. I assumed it was a big joke that he didn't realise he himself was black or something.

Or maybe he'd been around all those racist white people for so long he had become racist towards blacks too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom#Epithet
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »

Secondly - i've only seen it once so far and was half paying attention...And I know it's been discussed elsewhere..

POSSIBLE SPOILERS :

But - why didn't they just offer Candie the full $12,000 for Hildy straight up ?

I get that they wanted to try and offer him $300 for her after pretending to buy a Wrestler for $12,000 so he would give her up easily but if they were willing to part with the full $12,000 to begin with ?

Is there something I'm missing where they never intended to give up the $12,000 in the first place ?
Because the going rate for a house-slave was $300; not 12k. In theory they could have just offered $500 for her and called it a day, but they figured that Candy wouldn't bother listening to them over such a trivial matter. They came up with the ruse to try and get a meeting with Candy so they could then negotiate for Hildy's release. When Candy told them Hildy would cost $12, that was just to be a dick because they'd tried to con him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
The thing that I thought more was why didn't Candie get the 12k for the mandingo fighter and then let them come back and buy Hildy for 300. He would've made more money anyway, I guess his ego got really bruised when Andy told him it was all a ruse.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »

POSSIBLE SPOILERS :

They never intended to give up those $12,000. IIRC, they proposed to take Hildy with them immediately and then get the money for the wrestler and come back. That way, they would've just taken Hildy and would've never come back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
Sam was so great in it! I laugh at almost everything he said!

You and me both. 

"He gonna stay in the big house?!"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

The whole scene at dinner is so amazing, the way Stephen hovers over Calvin, agreeing with and laughing at everything he says, and often punctuating Calvin's dialogue with unbelievable one-liners ("First thing's first.").  Phenomenal writing by QT, and absolutely perfect acting by Jackson.  As much as Christoph Waltz dwarfs every actor in this film for the first 90 minutes, Jackson dwarfs them all for the last hour.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »
One thing I thought was genius about this movie was that there is a clear difference between the regular fun Tarantino violence and anything to do with slavery, which has a totally distinct, horrific tone.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
DiCaprio was always my favorite performance in this movie. I think mostly because its so against what one expected from him, and it was just surprising to see him as a completely disgusting human being. And he really gave it his all.