Author Topic: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Finito!/Honorable Mentions  (Read 25458 times)

Offline adace

Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Finito!/Honorable Mentions
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
Hey everyone. In case you missed my first thread I've linked to it below. Hope you enjoy reading my second one as much as I did making it. ;)
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32299.0

50. Rise Against - Appeal to Reason (2008)

When I first heard this band years ago on the radio via such songs as “Prayer of the Refugee” and “Ready to Fall,” my first inclination was to change the station as hardcore punk wasn’t one of the genres I liked at the time. However, I checked out some more of their songs online and, sure enough, came to like them a whole lot. This album is arguably their heaviest and most accomplished work to date. The lyrics are some of the best I’ve seen for a mainstream rock band; a trait which is complemented nicely by Tim McIlrath’s intense vocal style. In all it’s probably my favorite punk record ever because of the unique way it blends heaviness with accessibility.

Recommended tracks: From Heads Unworthy, Re-Education, Kotov Syndrome, Hero of War

49. Lustmord - Metavoid (2001)

This album is a must have for fans of ambient, particularly dark ambient. Lustmord clearly stands out in the dark ambient genre both as a talented composer and as an expert in collecting and musically integrating scary/dread-inducing sounds. In fact, Lustmord is known to go to places like caves and abandoned mental asylums to collect the spookiest sounds known. However, this album is not like his previous purely dark works. Dark and extremely low sounds do feature prominently but so do strings, choirs and even beats. In that sense, it is not a purely ‘experimental’ work but is more reminiscent of the soundtracks to the Halo games. From a visual standpoint, it is like going from the nether regions of space to exploring an abandoned planet still covered in foliage. A perfect example of this split personality is in “The Eliminating Angel.” Of course, there’s still purely dark songs like “Oblivion” and “Insignificance” to please the purists but I think Lustmord here was trying to break out of his niche on this album to establish himself as a versatile artist. For an album that gives so much fodder to the imagination, fans of ambient should be quite pleased while non-fans will get a good introduction to the genre.

Recommended tracks: Blood Deep in Dread, The Eliminating Angel, The Ambivalent Abyss

48. Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase (2005)

This album is nothing less than a pure slice of ambient bliss. The flow is so natural and the sounds are so organic that it the music practically begs you to join it on an imaginary journey. The album’s swirling textures and pulsating beats serve as a sort of mental vehicle that transport you to whatever destination you wish. As I listen to it, I find myself variously imagining strolling through a verdant meadow, drifting aimlessly through crystal-clear Caribbean seas, and even floating in outer space all thanks to the expressly visual quality possessed by the music. Of course, this is true of pretty much any ambient music I listen to but the accessibility of this album, as compared to the haunting abstractness of Steve Roach or Stars of the Lid, makes it all the more relatable and even uplifting. As the members of the band themselves have said, the aim of their musical endeavors is to recapture the tranquil sounds of childhood. In that way, their music helps the listener to reclaim what was lost in their youth as well as relive all the joyful moments through the music's soothing properties. While the introduction of guitars for the first time in the band’s history gives the album its organic, warm feel, it's ultimately the band’s songwriting skills that are honed enough to make it an electronic masterpiece.

Recommended tracks: Dayvan Cowboy, Satellite Anthem Icarus
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:04:00 PM by adace »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Punk and Ambient
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »
I don't know any of these, but am following.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
Lustmord and Boards of Canada. I'll be following to see what ambient album to get next.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
Appeal to Reason is awesome, though you fail for not having included Hero of War in the recommended tracks. It contains some of Rise Against's best lyrics they have ever written, and the delivery is flawless and powerful.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
Appeal to Reason is awesome, though you fail for not having included Hero of War in the recommended tracks. It contains some of Rise Against's best lyrics they have ever written, and the delivery is flawless and powerful.
Alright sure, I can put that in if you want. You make a good case for it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »
Dude, it's your list. I was just pointing out my opinion - don't change anything to conform with that. :lol

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:40:15 AM »
I don't know any of these, but am following.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »
adace, does this replace your first list, or is it more of a supplement like jingle and the doc are doing?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
That Boards Of Canada album is pretty good, I have to check out the rest of their work.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
I used to really love Rise Against. They were a big part of my musical identity before I was in high-school. The others one I haven't heard of, but I'll stick with this list.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline adace

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
Dude, it's your list. I was just pointing out my opinion - don't change anything to conform with that. :lol
Don't worry, it's not like that. I was already inclined to put it on, but you convinced me. If you had said "Savior" though I would have refused because that song has been played to death on my local radio.

adace, does this replace your first list, or is it more of a supplement like jingle and the doc are doing?
It's a supplement to it.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
ok, cool.  I'll keep your original list in the database.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline adace

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »
ok, cool.  I'll keep your original list in the database.
Ok, thanks.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
The Campfire Headphase is epic
I love beautiful things.

Offline adace

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Knights in Satin
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
47. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (1967)

The Moody Blues resonate with me in their ability to perfectly weld pop sensibilities with the highly demanding nature of classical music. Even though they might be considered “proto-prog,” I’d prefer to lump them in with the British prog scene of the 70’s if only for their adventurous spirit and willingness to do something no band back then, or perhaps even today, would have considered doing. One might say that the Beatles experimented a bit in this style, but it was certainly not to the extent that this band did. This album is their most well-known oeuvre and I believe it to be their best. The orchestration is intricate and the songs are extremely well-developed. The ease with which psychedelic pop flows into, or even mixes with, beautiful classical arrangements is simply astonishing. The vocals and production quality give off the same distinctively retro-British vibe as do those on other classic prog records. The album is a conceptual piece so it’s meant for the listener to conceive of each song as a ‘movement’ but at the same time, each of these ‘movements’ has a distinct feel and contribute in their unique way to the whole package. From the upbeat pop of “The Morning” to the otherworldly atmospherics of “The Night”, this album is an emotionally gratifying musical journey from start to finish.

Recommended tracks: The Night, The Afternoon, Dawn

46. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (1973)

One of Genesis’ shining moments, this album exemplifies their already tried and true progressive technique, but is also more focused and more like a concept album than their previous albums. The band borrow lyrically from popular folklore. This really gives you the sense that Peter Gabriel is narrating a story more than he is just singing a song. Though they are whimsical and rather fun, the lyrics still have elements of social and political protest embedded within them. All the members of the band are on top of their game, most notably, for me, in the complex and heavy number “Dancing with the Moonlit Knight” which is positively beautiful in its technicality. On the other side of the spectrum is “The Cinema Show” which demonstrates the softer side of the band with abundant soft jazz, classical and folk influences. A true classic of the Golden Era of prog rock, Selling England by the Pound is an ambitious and thoroughly enjoyable masterpiece.

Recommended tracks: Firth of Fifth, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, The Cinema Show, The Battle of Epping Forest

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »
Two great albums!  :tup

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Always nice to see the Moodies get some love. And Selling England is a classic.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline adace

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Now Serving Quake Meat and Fish
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
45. Astra - The Black Chord (2012)

This album is some of the best modern prog has to offer. It mixes in influences from some of the best classic prog bands including Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, Hawkwind as well as snippets of various Krautrock, jazz fusion, and hard rock bands. It’s basically all the best elements of 70’s music rolled into a cohesive psychedelic trip. The Mellotron on this album is absolutely gorgeous and really strings the album together with its soothing, lush vibe. The jams are incredibly well-constructed and suck you in with their hypnotic power. The swirling, ethereal vocals complement the Mellotron nicely to create the vintage atmosphere so sought after by many other modern prog bands (many of whom can’t pull it off half as well as this band can). It’s one of those stories of an ambitious, unknown band working really hard, knowing how to synthesize their influences into a coherent musical statement, and delivering an underground gem that thrusts them into relative stardom. If you’re at all into psychedelic-oriented prog then I highly recommend checking this album out as well as the band’s debut “The Weirding.” Both are phenomenal albums that generously reward the listener for his/her patience.

Recommended tracks: all of them

44. Yes - Fragile (1971)

Edging just ahead of “Close to the Edge” in my hierarchy of favorite Yes albums is Fragile. From the infectious grooves of Chris Squire’s bass line on “Roundabout” to the symphonic majesty of “Heart of the Sunrise,” Fragile is not only a classic Yes album but one of the best prog rock albums of all time. Every song has such uniqueness about it and there are so many different sounds and influences from jazz to classical to folk that Fragile is sure to please even those with the most demanding musical appetites. Jon Anderson’s vocal work might not be appreciated by all but it is really his work and that of mastermind guitarist Steve Howe on this album make Yes a veritable institution of the progressive world. Fragile takes the listener on a thrilling journey through its adept level of songwriting, intelligent lyrics and distinctive vocals. In so doing, it forms part of the standard to which many modern prog bands have aspired to, and is still an innovative and enjoyable album over 40 years after its release.

Recommended tracks: South Side of the Sky, Roundabout, Heart of the Sunrise

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
Nice to see some appreciation for Astra! They're not the most original band out there, but they're still great. I liked The Weirding a lot, but The Black Chord was definitely a step in the right direction.

And Fragile is a masterpiece, of course.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »
Fragile is awesome! I listened to that Astra album a while ago and it didn't click with me, but it was only one listen.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline adace

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Triple Dose of Awesome Black Metal
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
43. Moonsorrow - Verisakeet (2005)

Here one finds a band that is also out to paint a sonic landscape but one of a quite different nature from those mentioned before. Without delving into neo-fascism, as some critics have unfairly accused them of doing, Moonsorrow seeks to reclaim a part of the soul and human culture that was present before Christianity and Roman civilization. They tap deep into the sounds and mythology of their native Finland on the one hand and add to it the harshness and anger of black metal on the other. What Moonsorrow do so well in this regard is to create a romanticized, pre-historic world and while it may not be historically accurate, it is nevertheless a real reflection of the band’s deep affiliation with their nationality and culture.

Musically speaking, the raw, shrieked vocals reminds me of a lone warrior standing on a battlefield belting out his fiercest war cry or alternatively of a broken man lamenting the decline of his homeland under the yoke of foreign tyranny. Of course the album features standard folk metal affair including acoustic guitar, accordion and recorder. Yet Moonsorrow manages to make themselves distinct from such bands as Eluveitie and Ensiferum by constructing epic, lengthy tracks that are cinematic and tell a story. Also, their lyrics are all in Finnish which attests to their deep love of their culture and language in opposition to English as the touted “lingua franca of metal.”
Another impressive element is the use of nature sounds such as a wolf howling in the distance and the crackling of a campfire. This suggests that not only does the band want to give its audience a sense of what it means to be Finnish through the lyrics and folk melodies, but they also want to reconnect humanity with nature by portraying the natural environment of their homeland. For folk metal fans, this is a must have album and is Moonsorrow’s best work to date. Sorry I didn’t talk here much about Verisakeet specifically but I feel that the band incorporates the same elements in each album only here they coalesce into something that stands above the rest of their catalog.

Recommended tracks: Pimea, Jotunheim, Kaiku

42. Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage (2011)

As you might know, WitTR are quite opposed to the Satanic/anti-religious consensus of black metal but still operate well within its musical boundaries. They speak of transcendence and living in harmony with nature on their songs. They do not “oppose” society as such but do wish to transform it in a positive way rather than distance themselves and offer mere criticism of it. While WitTR’s sound is very close to traditional black metal, with a few electronic bits and female vocals on occasion, their lyrics and philosophy lie far outside of the Burzum/Mayhem/Gorgoroth mainstream. True, there are some pagan references but perhaps one could explain them in terms of the band creating a single structure in which to include and validate all of the spiritual/religious philosophies and theologies of the world. Also, it is natural for bands who talk about nature to draw on pagan influences since pagans are seen as people in touch with nature (as Romanticized as that might be). But it still seems like the band is asking pagans and non-pagans alike to direct their spiritual/philosophical mindsets towards greater harmony with nature and discovering our inner selves.

Musically speaking, this is a brutal yet beautiful piece of art. Blast beats and tremolo riffing feature throughout except for the sublime “Woodland Cathedral” and the doomy/spacey “Prayer of Transformation.” Most of the time, the band’s sound falls into what is called “atmospheric black metal,” a genre that, in my opinion, WitTR dominates. The variation in the music is quite subtle and the tracks are quite lengthy (although not as lengthy as certain tracks on their other albums) so it requires a good deal of the listener’s attention. In all, this is an album that features the light/dark contrast in its extremes. From uplifting female vocals and ethereal keyboard passages to unnervingly raw black metal vocals and uncompromising blast beats, this will please open-minded black metal fans and those who are put off by traditional black metal bands’ confrontational lyrics.

Recommended tracks: Woodland Cathedral, Astral Blood, Thuja Magus Imperium

41. Enslaved - Vertebrae (2008)

Deciding to move away from what they saw as the stagnant scene of Norwegian black metal, Enslaved have carved their own path through new musical frontiers while still incorporating a good deal of that original sound which they were a formative part of.
From “Mardraum” to “Ruun,” Enslaved have risen to the top of a nascent, yet ever-growing genre that fuses black metal with progressive rock and are in that sense much akin to their death metal counterparts in Opeth.

For me, Vertebrae is Enslaved’s best opus yet and has such a distinct and beautiful atmosphere about it that makes it one of my all-time favorite black metal albums. The mood here is introspective, exploratory and reflective but compared to say Mayhem or Gorgoroth, it is not particularly dark or brutal. In fact songs like “Ground” and it’s Pink-Floydish chorus/solo are uplifting and highly melodic with not many blast beats or much tremolo picking to speak of. Ironically, one could say that Enslaved’s overturning of black metal norms is a product of black metal’s anti-conformist ideology itself.
The dark or negative elements on the album such as throat-destroying raspy vocals, death growls, and the occasional tremolo picking all blend almost seamlessly with keyboards/ambient sections, soaring backing vocals, evocative solos and numerous clean melodies to make for a transcendent metal masterpiece. Repulsed by the extremism and regressive nihilism of the first and second waves of black metal, Enslaved, as did WitTR, have shown that black metal can be stripped of its negative ideological core and made into something beautiful and positive yet heavy at the same time. This was actually the first black metal band/album I really enjoyed so I would definitely recommend it those who aren’t black metal fans or who want to hear something besides endless blast beats and lightning-fast playing.

Recommended tracks: Ground, Clouds, The Watcher, Reflection

Offline adace

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
anyone?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
I like the write-ups, and they have me interested, but I don't know any of these. Especially Enslaved sound pretty interesting, and that sounds like a good starter album, I'll have to check it out.

Oh, I also got a Wolves in the Throne Room song in my roulette, and while I liked it, I didn't really explore any further.

Offline adace

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »
I like the write-ups, and they have me interested, but I don't know any of these. Especially Enslaved sound pretty interesting, and that sounds like a good starter album, I'll have to check it out.

Oh, I also got a Wolves in the Throne Room song in my roulette, and while I liked it, I didn't really explore any further.
Yeah, Vertebrae is one of their most accessible albums so you're definitely right about it being a good starting point. Then if you're interested in their harsher side, I'd recommend Frost.

Cool, I'm glad someone else here likes WitTR :lol. It's pretty challenging stuff, but very rewarding once it clicks.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
So far I heard only 3 albums from your list: Campfire, Fragile and Selling England
I love beautiful things.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

I think that was me, right? :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Haven't heard of many of these. Something else to check out. Following.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »

I think that was me, right? :P

Yessir.

Offline adace

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »
40. Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea (2006)

Ahab certainly rank as one of the heaviest bands of all time. But they’re certainly not heavy in the same way Nile is nor are they much like Electric Wizard. Their genre is funeral doom which means that they aren’t making bluesy riffs like a stoner band or writing anything the least bit technical. Rather they are going for the most depressive sounds known to man. This album and band are a triumph for the genre and stand as its best representative.
The beautiful melodies and heavy riffs played over the gut-wrenchingly slow drums and insanely low, guttural vocals make for the essence of this band’s greatness. This formula is used to amazing success on this album as they depict the greatest oceanic tale of all time, Moby Dick. One could see the album as a look inside Captain Ahab’s demented mind as he loses more of his sanity with each waking hour looking for vengeance against the demonic leviathan. Indeed, by listening to this album it would seem that a heavy, emotional story such as Moby Dick is a perfect match for the theatricality of metal and brutality of the band Ahab. Whether it is a melodic, clean guitar intro or a thunderous slab of doom metal riffing, everything on this album spells despair, mourning, terror and sadness all at once. That said, this album is a goosebump-fest and simply must be heard by fans and initiates of funeral doom alike.

Recommended tracks: The Hunt, Below the Sun, The Sermon

39. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

As you might already know, this album has quite a reputation. It is commonly referred to as the heaviest album of all time and while there are other albums from other bands that could potentially lay claim to that title, Dopethrone is a serious contender.
I would describe this album as the sonic equivalent of being forcibly taken to the bottom of the ocean and being slowly and mercilessly crushed. Every pore in your body is filled with water and your bones are crushed. Only imagine that it’s all happening just to your ears. Or perhaps it is the sound of a drug trip gone horribly wrong to the point that you lose your sanity. Add to either scenario the feeling of dread and sense of impending doom and that is basically package this album delivers.
Borrowing from from doom metal and general metal pioneers Black Sabbath, Electric Wizard plays psychedelic,bluesy riffs and bluesy solos. But of course, this is Black Sabbath made heavier by 100 times and on serious amounts of drugs. It is also the logical extension of stoner rock/metal as pioneered by bands such as Kyuss and Sleep. The vocals are sort of half-sung, half-babbled, and the lyrical themes include magic, drugs and the occult. The drums and guitars are slow as molasses which only adds to the heaviness. If you want to experience a hellish trip through a psychedelic netherworld, then this album was made for you.

Recommended tracks: Dopethrone, Barbarian, Funeralopolis

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Extreme Heaviness
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
Fuuuuuuuuck, this is a damned good list, I'm following :)

Offline adace

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
Fuuuuuuuuck, this is a damned good list, I'm following :)
:metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »
That Dopethrone album sounds pretty cool.

Also, I listened to Vertebrae and it was cool, but nothing really stuck. Will definitely re-listen, though. :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 01:23:58 AM »
Are these bands anything like Sleep's album 'Jerusalem'? You know, that weird album with only one track clocking in at an hour.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline adace

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 01:24:29 AM »
That Dopethrone album sounds pretty cool.

Also, I listened to Vertebrae and it was cool, but nothing really stuck. Will definitely re-listen, though. :tup
Yeah, definitely keep trying. If that doesn't work, then try their latest one, Riitiir. It's about as good as Vertebrae (maybe even slightly better.)

Are these bands anything like Sleep's album 'Jerusalem'? You know, that weird album with only one track clocking in at an hour.
Aside from being heavy and slow, Ahab have a totally different style than Sleep and have never made anything close to an hour long. EW are a lot closer to Sleep stylistically, but they're heavier and have also never made an hour long song.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
Dopethrone is a great album. Every so often I get the urge to just put it on and chill to it.  I don't smoke, I never have, but it's still quite the experience with the droning, fuzzy guitars, the barely comprehensible lyrics and just the atmosphere of it. Also, despite being over an hour in length, it never really feels all that long.