Author Topic: Official Santana thread  (Read 2786 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Official Santana thread
« on: February 25, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
https://www.noise11.com/news/exclusive-santana-reforms-santana-20130222

Carlos Santana has confirmed he is putting the original Santana band together for his next album.

In an interview with Noise11.com Carlos said that he is putting the line-up from the first three albums back together for his next record. “So far we have invited the original members like Greg Rolie from the first three albums,” he told Noise11. “It will be like Santana IV because we stopped at ‘Santana III’”.

Journey’s Neal Schon broke the news of the reunion to Noise11 this week and Carlos has confirmed that he has just about everyone on board for the project. “As well as Neal we have the two Mikes, Mike Carabello and Michael Shrieve. I am pretty sure Greg’s going to do it. So that is pretty much everyone,” he says.

Bass player David Brown passed away in 2000.

According to Carlos, the album will have the African feel of the first three Santana records. “We have been checking out a lot of African music, African patterns,” he says. “Each artist has his own thing that he listens to. Led Zeppelin listened to Otis Rush. Cream listened to Freddie King and Albert King. We all had someone that we listened to. It was a beautiful common ground for Santana to play African music”.

The band will start work on the album after Carlos finishes a big year of touring that will see him head to Deniliquin in New South Wales next month for the Deni Blues and Roots Festival. He says to “expect it in 2014”.

:dangerwillrobinson:

My bet's on Alphonso Johnson to replace Brown on bass.  He's ex-Weather Report but also played with Santana during the 80's and has worked with Schon, Rolie, Shrieve, and Carabello on other projects.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:52:27 PM by yorost »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Holy... Santana reunion!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
Holy crap, I'm on this like nobody's business!
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
Surprised to see Neal here, wasn't he a little bitter for not getting deserved credit on one of his albums or something like that?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
Yes, his role on III was downgraded on some release, apparently.  The liner notes on the more recent Legacy edition aren't a problem, though.  (fabulous package, btw, tremendous detail on the recording of the entire album)  He is still friends with everyone in the group, including Carlos.  The two of them talk pretty fondly of one another in interviews.  Schon's solo album released earlier this year even had a tribute song to Carlos on it, Song of the Wind II, a sequel of sorts to their duel on Caravanserai.  Carlos, Gregg, and Neal have all been dropping hints in the last year or two about wanting to play together again.  They have in the past, too, I didn't think anything would come of it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
I've never really checked old Santana before, but this would be a good reason for me to do so! Are the first 3 albums pretty good enough for me to get?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
Pretty good!?! :lol

III and Abraxas are the best places to start.  Caravanserai is as great as those two, but it is wildly different and marked a transition from more of a band to a solo act

I, Santana & Buddy Miles Live, and the 90's band Abraxas Pool (semi-reunion) are all right there, close, too, but not quite as good..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
12 songs in A Harmonic Minor.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
How long til Schon tries to kick Santana out of the band again?  :lol

Seriously though, this sounds pretty cool.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:24:43 AM »
What again?  Are you thinking about the Abraxas Pool reunion?  Santana turned down an invitation, Schon didn't snub him.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
It's on, they're writing and rehearsing. ...from Schon's Facebook page.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Santana thread
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
I'm listening to Santana IV right now.  :omg:  I love listening to Schon and Carlos play off each other. I'm gonna need to buy this for the house stereo. It would be perfect cocktail party music!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 09:50:14 PM »
super old bump.

Carlos collapsed on stage tonight in Michigan.

Let's hope he'll be okay.

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1544515762622287872

Online HOF

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 10:42:13 PM »
super old bump.

Carlos collapsed on stage tonight in Michigan.

Let's hope he'll be okay.

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1544515762622287872

Saw that earlier and thought it sounded pretty grim. Looks like it’s just heat exhaustion and he’s doing well after getting checked out.

https://people.com/music/carlos-santana-is-doing-well-after-passing-out-from-heat-exhaustion-during-performance/