Author Topic: Kid Falls Off Of Chair Lift 45+ Feet  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Kid Falls Off Of Chair Lift 45+ Feet
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »
That didn't look like 45 feet. It looked like he hit the ground, then added some more feet.

Anyway. I see your ski lift fall and raise you a skydiving chute fail.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »
Holy...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »
Is Chino okay :(
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »
Pussy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 02:04:48 AM »
That didn't look like 45 feet. It looked like he hit the ground, then added some more feet.

Anyway. I see your ski lift fall and raise you a skydiving chute fail.

One should always make sure there is plenty of blackberry bushes on earth before skydiving, it seems :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:14:14 AM »
Love the comment; 'bro do you even lift'  :rollin

Glad the dude is okay though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
Not a good day for you when people are happy you're okay with a “concussion, skull fracture, collapsed lung and a lacerated liver.”

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
Not a good day for you when people are happy you're okay with a “concussion, skull fracture, collapsed lung and a lacerated liver.”

Is that what happened to the kid?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
That's what some news reports are quoting, at least.  Doctor said nothing required surgery and they just kept him under observation for a couple of days.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »
That's insane seeing as he landed on snow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 08:56:48 AM »
That's insane seeing as he landed on snow.

Dude, WHAT? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
What?

At 15 meters his free fall takes him to almost 40 mph.  Just what kind of cushion do you think snow is?  Even falling onto a fluid like water can injure you if it isn't dispersed properly.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
I'd assume it's significantly softer than what I landed on, at least the type of snow people snowboard on. Isn't everyone always worshiping the fresh soft powder?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »
Yeah, okay.  Try hurling your body into a sheet of solid ice at 40 MPH and let me know how it feels.   :\
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »
Apparently this kid is a relative of Bosk.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
Yeah, okay.  Try hurling your body into a sheet of solid ice at 40 MPH and let me know how it feels.   :\

I don't understand why you're getting hostile and giving me such negative attitude about it. I don't snowboard, but to me this looks soft... I did hurl my body at 40 mph into a pretty solid fucking surface and it hurt like a bitch and put me in ICU for 18 nights. Thanks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »

I don't understand why you're getting hostile and giving me such negative attitude about it. I don't snowboard, but to me this looks soft...

I'm not hostile.  It's just a dumb, boneheaded thing to say, especially for someone who lives where there is snow (which as I recall, you do).  And do you honestly see anything in common between those pics you posted and the stuff the kid in that video landed on (other than the fact that both are white)?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
Personal attack. Reported.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »
I'd assume it's significantly softer than what I landed on, at least the type of snow people snowboard on. Isn't everyone always worshiping the fresh soft powder?
It is much softer. Just not enough so to actually make much of a difference. His lucky break was the same as yours, which is that he landed on an incline and rolled.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »
At Ski resorts, they pack they snow down and it's not soft at all, hope that answers your question Chino, I figured you'd actually like to get an answer.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
Think about it, you're still going from 40 to 0 in a foot or two.  Does it matter how soft it is?

How far did you fall from?  I think 45 feet is falling from around the base of the 4th story of a building.  If you were at the second story maybe 4-5 meters you only (:lol, only) got up to 20-25 mph.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Yeah, that.  And you can tell from the way he hits and immediatley slides (rather than sinking in) that he is hitting ice, not powder.  Even if you have a couple of inches of powder on top, it was obviously hard pack underneath.  Not to mention the protruding branches and rocks. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Think about it, you're still going from 40 to 0 in a foot or two.  Does it matter how soft it is?

Yes.  If you fall into a lot of snow (like a foot or so), you will still get hurt, but there is likely to at least be some give, as opposed to if you hit the ground, which will have zero give.  Probably a pretty small difference, but a tiny bit of give is better than no give.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »

Yes.  If you fall into a lot of snow (like a foot or so), you will still get hurt, but there is likely to at least be some give, as opposed to if you hit the ground, which will have zero give.  Probably a pretty small difference, but a tiny bit of give is better than no give.

Depends on how frozen it is.  If it's ice, you may as well be hitting the sidewalk.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »

How far did you fall from?  I think 45 feet is falling from around the base of the 4th story of a building.  If you were at the second story maybe 4-5 meters you only (:lol, only) got up to 20-25 mph.

The railing of a fourth floor balcony.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
One other thing you probably had going for you that this kid did not is that your body was limp, as I recall.  Still, pretty lucky in both cases that it wasn't worse.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
I wasn't saying a cushion has no effect, Kev, I was pointing it's not going to make so much of a difference that injury is surprsing .  Even with the greatest cushion in the world, going from 40 to 0 in a foot is subjecting your body to (quick calc, hope it is right :lol) 45g's of acceleration.  No cushion will prevent that from being a violent.  I might prefer to hit a brick wall driving a car at 40mph and no airbag.  That'll give me quite a bit more give.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
Anyone who has dove into a mound of snow thinking it would be like landing on a cloud can tell you that it is not necessarily soft.  (Knocked the wind out of me and I only jumped from a few feet away.)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
Am I the only one who watches videos like this and believes even more in evolution?   :P

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
I'd say it's a case against evolution.  He survived.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
By the grace of God above.  RORORORORORO

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
That or survival of the fittest didn't work properly.