Author Topic: The Official Playstation 4 Thread.  (Read 25819 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The Official Playstation 4 Thread.
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
I figured this would be better instead of bombarding the general video game thread with PS4 stuff.

Today is a day many of us are anxiously awaiting! Go nuts!

Leaked PS4 controller.

Spec rumors:

The CPU will have eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two "clusters," each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache.
Its GPU will contain AMD's "R10XX" (Southern Islands) architecture, DirectX 11.1+ feature set, liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture, 4 GB unified system memory and 176 GB/s with 3.5GB available to games.
The PlayStation 4 will have an internal mass storage at 500 GB HDD and a RAM speed of 4GB.
Other features include a high-speed Blu-Ray optical drive, network capabilities with 1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, Bluetooth Peripherals.

From the other thread...

This video makes me super pumped for Playstation 4 announcement tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AKi7qlDdXxs

In regards to Gran Turismo, I have been a huge fan since the third installment. I had it bundled with my PS2 from Costco. I was a little disappointed with 5 on the PS3. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing, but I would like to see less emphasis on car count. 1000+ cars in a game is cool, but I'd be much happier with 400-500 extremely well detailed cars. I didn't like how some cars had interior designs and others didn't, and some lower level cars were clearly not modeled as well as the higher performance ones. The damage was a much appreciated element, but only a handful of cars had it, and it wasn't all that impressive in the long run. I'd much prefer a lower car count with highly realistic damage. I don't want to see speed reduction penalties for bouncing off another car in a turn. I'd rather see my car get damaged in such a way that affects its performance for the rest of the race.

I think the rally is great, and I like that trucks have been added, but I didn't care too much for the addition of Nascar. I would love to see off-road racing (not dirt rally) introduced. I think baja style courses through the desert would be really awesome, as well as the ability to drive off cliffs and go over jumps.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:47:15 PM by Chino »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Playstation 4 thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
It'll be live streamed from this site at 6pm EST: https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
It was linked from the official Playstation FB page. 

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
It needs Kingdom Hearts 3. That is all.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
I almost don't care about GTA-V now... I almost wish they had just waited a bit and just focused all efforts on making it epic as fuck for next gen. I don't feel like waiting 2+ years after the new consoles come out to get a new GTA.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
YES! I would  totally buy it just for this.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »
The main Kingdom Hearts series needs to at least be on the Wii-U as well. It'd be an insult if they didn't considering all of the other Kingdom Hearts games for Nintendo.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
YES! I would  totally buy it just for this.

This. I'm still having a blast with Dream Drop Distance. But yes, I will buy this ridiculous system for KH3 and FFVersusXIII.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
The main Kingdom Hearts series needs to at least be on the Wii-U as well. It'd be an insult if they didn't considering all of the other Kingdom Hearts games for Nintendo.
A third party software company should keep a specific series on one company's platforms?  That's a completely unreasonable expectation on them.  Maybe if they move a closely knit series during a console generation I can see your attitude

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »
i have the PS3 and all it does is occasionally stream Netflix and collect dust....bought it honestly for the blu-ray option at the time ...my kids play Xbox about 50 times more than the PS3
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
A third party software company should keep a specific series on one company's platforms?  That's a completely unreasonable expectation on them.  Maybe if they move a closely knit series during a console generation I can see your attitude

It was the norm back in the day, but now? Nah, they'd suffer too much. I agree with this standpoint, despite my disappointment in it not coming to Nintendo console's (I will be thrown aback if it comes to the WiiU, I'm surprised enough that a main-entry, and the newest entry chronologically, was on a Nintendo handheld) I will understand considering that the series started with Sony's PS2. But yeah there are plenty of KH games for Ninty consoles, so it'd make sense if they ported this one as well; but to my understanding, this is going to be PS4 exclusive. Definitely won't see it on the 720.

But I just want the damn game. I really don't give a shit about exclusives anymore. When I was a kid, it was nice having it out with my buddies on "who's system" had the best lineup, but these days it doesn't matter. If I want something, I'll buy it and the system for it without a thought that it's hurting my precious Nintendo. They'll all succeed in their own way and it really doesn't matter who comes out on top as long as the games are fun, the systems are innovative, and the cash keeps flowing.

Now all that said, Ninty fo lyfe!  :P But srsly, I'm excited for this. I mainly stayed out of this generation of gaming aside from a few gems. I think the whole 'console war' thing spurred on by gamers was a huge mistake. It created this hostile, crazy environment for developers that just wasn't there when the gaming revolution came to be. It was all happy-go-lucky for everyone and everyone was making great games. Then this generation comes in and fucks it all up. FUCK YOU KIDS.

RIP DTP.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
I hope it's better than PS3.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »
i have the PS3 and all it does is occasionally stream Netflix and collect dust....bought it honestly for the blu-ray option at the time ...my kids play Xbox about 50 times more than the PS3

:heart

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
Well, one of my hopes is that PS4 will actually be able to compete with XBOX and PC. I feel like 360 got away with murder this generation, just because the PS3 wasn't a good enough alternative for most, and console gaming is really starting to stagnate as a result. Compare that to 10 years ago, when you had the PS2 up against the Gamecube, PC, and an amitious new Microsoft console. Or, when you had PS1, N64, and Sega competing.  The competition just is not the same today. And the amount of great unique games to each system has gone down the slopes.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
Well, one of my hopes is that PS4 will actually be able to compete with XBOX and PC. I feel like 360 got away with murder this generation, just because the PS3 wasn't a good enough alternative for most, and console gaming is really starting to stagnate as a result. Compare that to 10 years ago, when you had the PS2 up against the Gamecube, PC, and an amitious new Microsoft console. Or, when you had PS1, N64, and Sega competing.  The competition just is not the same today. And the amount of great unique games to each system has gone down the slopes.

I'm hoping that the PS4 is easy enough to develop for this time around so that developers don't build a game to optimize the xbox and then port it to the PS3. Most of the games that were made solely for the PS3 were outstanding.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
This generation has been one of the most competetively balanced between consoles.  PS1 and PS2 absolutely dominated their generations, so they got a ton of exclusives.   This time around we had three consoles with at least 25% of the total sales.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »

Given that the PS4 and Xbox720 (I hope that's not the final name) were released a year apart, and the PS3 was a unique architecture, it wasn't surprising that Microsoft ran away with all the marketing deals, head start DLC, primary development machine, etc.  Now that the next two iterations are much more in line spec wise and development wise, it'll be interesting to see how they try and differentiate from each other. 

It'll have to be more than Kinect/Move, as those are just gimmicky.  I think they are trying to combat that by packing in all the hardware so everyone has it, making it easier for dev's to add functionality for more than just a small subset of gamers. 

Sony HAS to expand their online service and features.  Even if everyone has to pony up for a subscription, there is no excuse to lag behind again in this area.  Microsoft needs to add more first party games.  I think Sony has the edge with exclusives, and Microsoft was only able to survive because multiplatform games sold HEAVILY in the 360's favor, and the few exclusives they have sell very well (GoW, Halo, ?).

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »

I'm hoping that the PS4 is easy enough to develop for this time around so that developers don't build a game to optimize the xbox and then port it to the PS3. Most of the games that were made solely for the PS3 were outstanding.
I think it will be if the rumors that both console are using the Cell thing are true.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
I think it will be if the rumors that both console are using the Cell thing are true.

It's already been confirmed that they're not using the Cell.  Both systems will feature more "off-the-shelf" components, which reduces production costs for both consoles and development costs for dev's. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
I wouldn't be opposed to the ability to upgrade the system... something similar to the expansion bay on an N64

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
I'm trying to think of what the move light on the controller could be used for... The controller is an weird shape to be used in anyway that I can see being useful for motion tracking. Maybe it can pick up what player is sitting where and adjust the split screens accordingly? Could it somehow determine your orientation to the screen and adjust the 3D graphics accordingly?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
PS3 is still amazing and been the only device connected to my TV for the last year or so since I got rid of cable. Netflix, gaming, DVD and BluRay are all functioning pretty good and I've had mine since 2008.
So how would they sucker people into getting a PS4; God of War 4 and Uncharted 4 is my bet heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »

So how would they sucker people into getting a PS4

Exclusive GTA at launch.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
I'm pretty stoked for this, even though I am a PC gamer.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »
You honestly think GTA to this day is more popular than GoW and Uncharted games?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
Um..the series? Hell yes it is. Both of them combined can't hold a candle to GTA. I mean, I don't even like the games but GTA is a friggin' household name for crying out loud. Even if it is infamous for all the wrong reasons.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
You honestly think GTA to this day is more popular than GoW and Uncharted games?

Yes.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
GTA moves 50 million units, GoW and Uncharted can't do that COMBINED...
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
Any word on price?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
Any word on price?

I've read a wide variety. Some ranging from $449 for a base model and $600 for a premium model. One artivle I read said $399 for a basic. If these are made if "off the shelf" parts, I imagine they will be cheaper to make and yield larger profit margins. I wonder if Sony will pass this on to the users or if theywill just take a larger cut.

It'd be nice to see one announced tonight, but I doubt it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
Rumours say £300 in the UK, and I think I saw something like $429 and $529 in the US for two different versions (I guess hard drive size?)

That's only rumours though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
Over 100k viewers on this livestream page.  :omg:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign

Official live stream for the meeting is here:

https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
7 min!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »
PLAYSTATION 4!!!!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
Holy shit, 8gb of RAM!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
And Bethesda is so happy it's unified! :lol