Author Topic: Pedal board madness!  (Read 8475 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Pedal board madness!
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
I've played bass for ~20 years, but only recently have been bitten by the effects bug.  For a couple of years, I was using a Line6 PodXT live, but then decided it was time for "real" effects...so in the last 8 months, I've accumulated this:

Worst thing is, I'm not even done!  It's become something of a mad obsession, my white whale, if you will, to find "my sound".  Maybe the most maddening thing is unexpected interactions between pedals...I was planning on ditching the SansAmp, as it was gutting my mids, therefore neutering my chorus, flanger and filter.  But it turns out the rich, chocolaty, satisfying fuzz I was getting from the MXR bass fuzz deluxe disappeared without the SansAmp, and instead was harsh and nasaly.  That said, I think i'm finally getting there:

-The programmable SansAmp is going to get replaced with the single-channel version.  Just need a touch of drive at the end of the chain to sweeten everything up; I'll control by distortion from dedicated pedals further upstream.
-The BassBalls Nano (envelop filter) might go away...I feel like it's something I feel like I should have at my disposal, but it's not really "me".
-I'm eyeing up one of the mini wah pedals from Plutoneium; fit on the board, and sound amazing:  https://www.plutoneium.com/aboutchiwahwah.aspx
-I might put an EHX MicroPog up front as well, more for the octave up than down...it'll get me an approximation of an eight string.

I've got a number of things that are already off my board that are about to go up for sale...a Way Huge Pork Loin, a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail (great RAT clone, but just wasn't how I remembered my old RAT being), a Boss compressor and a Boss EQ...not to mention my smaller pedal board!

So is anyone else fighting the effects bug and loosing as badly as I am?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: Pedal board madness!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
Check out pedalsandeffects.com. It's a website devoted to effects pedals for bass, by my favorite player right now, Juan Alderete.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
I'd actually used that as one of my resources in deciding what direction I wanted to go.

I've got threee pedals on the way...the MicroPog, a single channel SansAmp, and an AMT bass wah that's the size of my MXR pedals...and the envelope filter is goign away.  In about a week, this things is going to be a beast.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
I would love to hear how it sounds if you have a way of recording it.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I didn't know it was at all normal for a bass player to use that many effects, if their name isn't Billy Sheehan.  Not meant in a bad way, I think I always figured most bass players' signal path was a lot more straightforward.  Hmph.  Cool.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »
I've now got everything, and with the wife about to be gone for a few days, I've have plenty of time to get it all nice and neat.  And indeed, it is beastly.  I'll see what I can figure out to do some soundclips.

As far as effects used in straight-ahead rock, there tends not to be too much, outside of compression, overdrive and chorus.  However, you don't have to stray too far out of mainstream to start hearing more effects (Muse, Porcupine Tree).  And when you start getting towards indie, post-rock and other stuff that's either atraditional or where the bassist has to fill up a lot of space, you start seeing a lot more.

Coolest thing I've found so far is the with the MicroPOG set to add the up octave, a little bit of flanger (deep but very slow rate), some lows cut from one half of the split channel, and a little bit of drive from the SansAmp, I can nail the sound of thr 12-string in Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" perfectly.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
That sounds epic. Must be a ton of fun to rock out with.
prog sucks

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
My entire pedal collections is :

The Channel select on my Blackstar HT 100.

;D

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
RAAAAAWWWWK!

And here is a handy-dandy roadmap to the RAAWWK:

The odd looking EQ setting gets me a grindy tone in combination with the Agro.

I feel at peace with this.  I'm not really gassing for anything at the moment (though I would mind a synthy fuzz with the right footprint at the start of the chain).  We'll see how long this lasts.

Also, Hosa flathead pedal cables are the best things ever.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Awesome.

Do the make one voiced for bass?   :biggrin:

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
Yo millahh, how's the MXR Carbon Copy Delay? I've been looking into delay pedals recently, and I'm trying to get a good idea of all the ones that are out there.
prog sucks

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
I hear it's very organic sounding.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »
I've once heard a bass player used one of these, and I looooved the sound of that.

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Yo millahh, how's the MXR Carbon Copy Delay? I've been looking into delay pedals recently, and I'm trying to get a good idea of all the ones that are out there.

I dig it.  I originally had a Boss DD-6, which can do more, and it's easier to set delay times precisely, but there could be an unnatural-sounding harshness to it.  The MXR, as Coz said, is definitely more organic/natural sounding.  I'm not sure if it's a digital vs. analog thing, or if there's something more to it.  The MXR also has the modulation effect, that can introduce slight pitch variations to the repeats, which can be cool in the right situation.  Overall, the MXR is way simpler, with fewer options, but this is one case where I think less is more.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »

I dig it.  I originally had a Boss DD-6, which can do more, and it's easier to set delay times precisely, but there could be an unnatural-sounding harshness to it.  The MXR, as Coz said, is definitely more organic/natural sounding.  I'm not sure if it's a digital vs. analog thing, or if there's something more to it.  The MXR also has the modulation effect, that can introduce slight pitch variations to the repeats, which can be cool in the right situation.  Overall, the MXR is way simpler, with fewer options, but this is one case where I think less is more.

That sounds really promising. I've been looking at EarthQuaker Devices Disaster Transport which is a pretty cool pedal, but it's more expensive ($215). I'm a huge fan of modulation so that's a big thing I'm looking for in a delay pedal. I'll definitely have to check the MXR out.
prog sucks

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »
The MXR, as Coz said, is definitely more organic/natural sounding.

:rollin

I apologize.  I know absolutely nothing about the pedal.  I was making a joke on the carbon/organic connection.  :lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
The MXR, as Coz said, is definitely more organic/natural sounding.

:rollin

I apologize.  I know absolutely nothing about the pedal.  I was making a joke on the carbon/organic connection.  :lol

Goddammit...someone makes a subtle chemistry joke, which I of all people should catch, and it goes right over my head!   :rollin   :facepalm:

Thing is, that is actually the way many people describe it as sounding!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
THREAD RESURRECTION.

I'm finally in a position that I can spend money on pedals and not have an empty bank account, and it's awesome. So far I have an Earthquaker Devices Afterneath (I :heart reverb), a TC Electronics Ditto X2 (looper w/ reverse and half-speed), and a have Boss DD-7 (digital delay) on the way. I use my friend's Electro Harmonix Big Muff (fuzz) for dirt, but my plan is to pick up an Old Blood Haunt (super gnarly fuzz) when I get my tax return.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 03:13:56 AM »
Nice, PP.  be sure to post pics. 

I would post mine but its mainly boss stuff.  sold my more 'high-end' stuff.  i figure 90% of the people I play to wont know the difference anyways.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 06:03:08 AM »
Nice, PP.  be sure to post pics. 

I would post mine but its mainly boss stuff.  sold my more 'high-end' stuff.  i figure 90% of the people I play to wont know the difference anyways.

For sure. As soon as I get the DD-7, there will be pictures.

What've you got, though? Even if it is all Boss stuff.
prog sucks

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »
I love effect pedals, but most of them are so damn expensive :lol

I'll post a picture of my board later, since it's in my band's practice room and not at home.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Newmz

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
my array of effects is quite paltry, otherwise I would post it :lol

I have a carbon copy and you actually did hit the nail on the head with your pun. very natural sounding.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »
I love effect pedals, but most of them are so damn expensive :lol

I probably shouldn't be spending so much on them (I'm actually a drummer), but they're so much fun. Plus, the resale on them isn't too bad, so getting a good amount for them isn't too hard.
prog sucks

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
Pedalboard for bass.

*snip*

The DS-1 is mainly there to fill up empty space thought I do use it ocasionally with slap stuff. The beauty at the bottom is a Russian Big Muff modded to take a 9V power supply
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:07:25 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
Always loved the Russian BM for bass.  Its so much better than the NYC.

Once i get it sorted I'll post my board but its a bit shit.  Mainly use it for bass now and really only 3-4 pedals at a time.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
Pedalboard for bass.

The DS-1 is mainly there to fill up empty space thought I do use it ocasionally with slap stuff. The beauty at the bottom is a Russian Big Muff modded to take a 9V power supply

What year is the Muff?
prog sucks

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
It says 2006 on the inside

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 12:41:56 AM »
So it's a modern one. I've only ever used a couple of the NYC ones, and I love them. I really want to get my hands on an early Sovtek, but $400+ for one pedal is too much.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »
GOT THE DD-7 IN THE MAIL TODAY! Super stoked on this thing. I've only used for ten or fifteen minutes so I don't have a full grasp on it yet, but so far I absolutely love it.

Here's a pic of the (quickly growing) pedal family as of tonight:

This set up is great for super ambient stuff. I can't wait to use them all tomorrow when I have more time to mess around.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
My fuzz finally arrived, and oh my word is it off the charts. Old Blood Noise Endeavors are, by far, my favorite pedal company around at the moment, and they hit this one out of the park.

I present to you, the Old Blood Haunt Fuzz:

And the updated 'board':

prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 12:04:52 AM »
Ooh that looks cool.  What's it sound like? If you could describe.  I find Fuzz's to be generally hit and miss for my style of playing

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 12:10:13 AM »
I could try to describe, but there's a couple videos they made for it, so I'll just link those instead. The first one is just a cool thing they did when they announced it. If you just want to hear what it sounds like by itself, the technical demo is the one to watch first.

Announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9f3lnRimmw

Technical demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IX1a_4Exzg
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »
prog sucks