Author Topic: Amaranthe  (Read 16535 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Amaranthe
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
I just saw an ad for Amaranthe playing here in a few weeks but I just don't want to wrestle with general admission anymore.  Same reason why I won't be going to Halestorm here next month either and that really hurts.  :(

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
I saw Amaranthe a couple nights ago in New York City.  Surprisingly for a European band, this was the 4th time I've seen them in the last 2 years.  They have toured quite a bit in the US since releasing The Nexus.  First time ended up being the current singer Henrik.  I had no idea the original screamer had left so the first time ever seeing them was with a completely unknown singer (they didn't even say anything during the concert he was not the original singer).  Whatever, he was really good and ended up being the permanent singer, Henrik.  I actually got a picture with him and shared on this forum from that night.  Second time seeing them, they opened up for Within Temptation and were solid with the whole line up, but only performed for about 30 minutes.  The third time was not that long ago, playing at the same venue as the first time, and then there was a new screamer.  This guy was a good performer, but I wasn't crazy about his voice.  They said during the concert that he was just replacing Henrik for this tour while Henrik tends to his new born child.  Whatever, good show regardless.  They happened to sing happy birthday that night to a girl in the crowd and the replacement screamer which I recorded https://youtu.be/KCXaxGm0cmU.  So then I got to see them again for the 4th time last Wednesday.  Well they played almost the exact same set in the same order as last time (one song change https://youtu.be/Rf4IFMhWrjQ) and guess what, they have a different singer, but this time it is the male clean vocalist Jake E that is replaced.  They once again say that this guy is only replacing Jake for the tour and also that Jake is home being a Dad.  Whatever, while the new guy wasn't great, it was still a great show.  So it also happened to be Elize's Cousin's birthday.  She was in the audience so we all sung happy birthday to her which I recorded https://youtu.be/rSaiDSNIznc.  I got to also shake the guitarist and Elize's hands after the show.  So funny how this all worked out, but I had a blast each and everyone of the 4 times seeing them.  I also think it's obvious that it is Elize of the singers who holds the glue together for this band.   Oh yea, on facebook, ELIZE LIKED MY COMMENT on Amaranthe's post when I added the link to the happy birtday song.   :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »
I've really been playing these guys a lot lately.

Almost all of their music is 4/4 but they do a lot of complex rhythm stuff that makes it sound complex.  The guitar/bass/drums are super tight and the drummer, man, he's awesome.  The music has so much energy to it.

I wish they'd get a live keyboard player.

I also wish they'd "play the music" more... like, if the song is 4 minutes they don't have to be singing for 3:50, lets sit on some melodies and riffs a little longer and let the song breathe a bit.  Halestorm has the same problem for me also, the music is great, so let's hear it more.  Actually, I think that's the way it is now everywhere, all anyone cares about is vocals it seems, so the more of that they can get in the better.

They ended up playing here in Vancouver in the downtown east side... the scuzziest, dirtiest, and most drug-infested place around and the poorest postal code (zip code) in Canada.  I didn't go.  I just hope they don't think Vancouver is actually like that when they went outside to look around.  Really an awful place to be.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
This last tour I noticed they had a guy sort of on stage doing the sound effects.  Didn't seem like he was playing keyboard but he was clearly visible and clearly in control of the keyboard sounds.  He even messed up at one point.  I have never noticed this before the previous 3 times seeing them, but agree, it's a large enough part of the music that I would really like them to get a full time band member or at least a touring keyboardist.... but they may not be big enough to do that.  Their stage is already crowded enough for 3 singers and they aren't popular enough to play larger venues with big stages.  I also wonder if that is why I noticed this guy because this last venue was really small.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
I was upset when I missed them last month but I'm sure they'll be back. I think they really do need to get someone to be the "sound effects" guy because that's a big part of their music.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
It looks like the guitar player does keys in the studio, which is fine if he wants to keep that part, but it would be great to get a live player for their shows.

The one track I can't get enough of right now is Over and Done.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
https://youtu.be/f5H4LN-VL7A

Teaser for the new album, no new music.  Looks like it will be released in October.  Definitely an album I will be anticipating.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
New album info from facebook:

'MAXIMALISM' to be released in October! Cover art, album title and track listing revealed!
Full press release below;
AMARANTHE, the cutting-edge Swedish pop-metal outfit with the triple-lead-vocal attack, will release its new album, "Maximalism", on October 21 via Spinefarm Records.
The follow-up to 2014's "Massive Addictive" is described in a press release as "a hyper-modern, metallic beast of a record" containing "12 new tracks that fully live up to the 'bigger, bolder' promise of the title."
"Maximalism" was produced once again by Jacob Hansen (VOLBEAT, EPICA, DELAIN) and mastered by Svante Forsback (RAMMSTEIN, APOCALYPTICA, DRAGONFORCE).
Refusing to be pinned down by genre or convention, AMARANTHE have consistently pursued the less travelled path, blending different sounds and styles to create a signature hybrid approach, and "Maximalism" sees their collective wide-angle vision laid out with greater skill and conviction than ever before.
From the locomotive power of "Faster" and "Fury" through to the more measured drama of "Limitless" and "Endlessly" (a solo tour de force for singer Elize Ryd), this is AMARANTHE ramping up both the energy and the emotion, and generally pushing everything to the max.
Says AMARANTHE lead guitarist Olof Mörck: "'Maximalism' is our manifesto to the world!
"We are genuinely thrilled with the new material, definitely our most diverse collection to date. Our trademark 'bleeding edge' modern metal remains intact, of course, but fused with an even broader range of genres than before…
"There's everything here, including stadium rock, innovative pop and danceable super-hits.
"Expect these tunes to enter your mind on a permanent basis!"
"Maximalism" track listing:
01. Maximize
02. Boomerang
03. That Song
04. 21
05. On The Rocks
06. Limitless
07. Fury
08. Faster
09. Break Down And Cry
10. Supersonic
11. Fireball
12. Endlessly
In support of "Maximalism", AMARANTHE will embark on a headline European tour in October/November, with SONIC SYNDICATE and SMASH INTO PIECES guesting on all shows.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
Noice!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »
Awesome! Can't explain why, but Amaranthe is one of those bands that can do basically the same thing album after album and I always dig it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
Awesome! Can't explain why, but Amaranthe is one of those bands that can do basically the same thing album after album and I always dig it.

It's just fun music so that's kind of how I feel too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
Waiting for the Predacons to release their album, Terrorism.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »

That's pretty much how I see it, too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
Can't say I enjoy this new song. I don't mind their pop sound. It's part of the reason why I like the band, but this song just isn't that good.

That Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aisXPBhG73M

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »
Can't say I enjoy this new song. I don't mind their pop sound. It's part of the reason why I like the band, but this song just isn't that good.

That Song:

I agree. Sounds like it is just pop and not that interesting.  I don't have a problem with their typical pop sound at all, but this just misses IMO.  Granted, I bet it will grow a bit on me as I listen, but it is definitely a let down for a new single.

Online Adami

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2016, 09:06:01 PM »

That Song:

I looked for this thread a few days ago to post that, but gave up.

Yea, I had to check a few times to see if they were covering another pop song, since I'm pretty sure I've heard all of those melodies and ideas about 10,000 times already.

Hope the rest of the album is better. That might be the first Amaranthe song I actively didn't like to some degree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline adace

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
Yeah, the new song is kinda weak. Hope the rest of the album is better.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:06 AM »
I'm feeling the same as everyone else. It sounds a bit TOO poppy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »
Slow day at work and this came up on my youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuU8IEi5dqs

Amaranthine performed live and they let a young girl sing the song.... and she even does the growls  :lol  Really well done and cool of the band.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2016, 04:10:31 AM »
New song honestly reminds me of Katy Perry, not even being ironic.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2016, 04:17:09 AM »
I tried listening to That Song again and got bored. Amaranthe isn't supposed to bore me.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:43 AM »
They took it down so I'll have to wait until the video comes out.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »
They took it down so I'll have to wait until the video comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrQP-kKB8k

Pretty good sounding live recording.  I definitely like it better live with the crowd cheering, but this song is full on pop and mostly not that interesting overall.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2016, 12:33:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR05g0Co7W4

The video is out now and it's not bad.  I think it would have worked better as a 3rd single release once they've done a couple of their signature singles.

Online Adami

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »
Song grew on me a little on the second listen when I knew what to expect.

I think one thing I noticed was that the "pop" in their music before was very European influenced, while this song has a lot of American pop influence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
Song grew on me a little on the second listen when I knew what to expect.

I think one thing I noticed was that the "pop" in their music before was very European influenced, while this song has a lot of American pop influence.

Definitely sounds like American Pop.  I will add that the song has grown on me a bit more as well, but I'm still really hoping that this is not the new direction of the band.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
Another new song Fury and this song sounds much more like typical Amaranthe.  Pretty heavy and features a lot of Henrik.  I like this a lot more.  It's like the exact opposite of That Song.

https://youtu.be/Jg5_wI9KkEw

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2016, 03:07:40 PM »
Ehhh I don't like this one either.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
Sounds like Slipknot if they had Rihanna singing the chorus
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
I guess the single turned everyone off from buying the album... I've given a few listens today.  It's not bad, but after a few listens it would easily be my least favorite of theirs.  There is some good stuff here though.  Some typical Amaranthe and some more poppish songs as well.  If you already didn't like their over produced sound then you wouldn't like this.  I feel like this has reached the point for me where I say the sound is a bit too much at times. 

Having said all of that, I still find the album enjoyable overall.  Boomerang and On the Rocks are pretty addictive.  Endlessly is a pretty nice slower song to end the album.

Online Adami

« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »
I guess the single turned everyone off from buying the album... I've given a few listens today.  It's not bad, but after a few listens it would easily be my least favorite of theirs.  There is some good stuff here though.  Some typical Amaranthe and some more poppish songs as well.  If you already didn't like their over produced sound then you wouldn't like this.  I feel like this has reached the point for me where I say the sound is a bit too much at times. 

Having said all of that, I still find the album enjoyable overall.  Boomerang and On the Rocks are pretty addictive.  Endlessly is a pretty nice slower song to end the album.

I bought it, just forgot to listen to it haha. I'll get to it soon. But that's pretty much exactly what I expected.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
The first two tracks are good. Songs like Supersonic and That Song are not my cup of tea. It seems by going more pop, they actually hurt their sound. I actually wouldn't mind hearing a pop album from Elize because I love her voice, but if this is what it might sound like, I'll pass. Plus, the screaming vocals need to go now. I could tolerate them on the other albums, but now they just make no sense, and the shtick is old.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
After I wrote that post last night I gave it another listen and then a listen on my way into work today.  It's their shortest album, but I do think it is pretty good overall, just a bit more poppy.

That Song and Limitless sound like they could be legit american pop songs and honestly sound familiar (someone on youtube said That Song was similar to a Rhianna song and Limitless sounds like something I could have heard on pop radio).

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »

I just saw the video for "That Song". What the FUCK was that?!?!

I didn't make it all the way to the end to see if the words "Just Kidding!" appeared out of nowhere.

Did they?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »
No, they are pretty serious about it I believe.

I actually find the song fairly enjoyable now that the shock of it being so poppy has passed, but it's far from being a highlight on the album.