Author Topic: Amaranthe  (Read 16929 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Amaranthe
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
No, they are pretty serious about it I believe.

I actually find the song fairly enjoyable now that the shock of it being so poppy has passed, but it's far from being a highlight on the album.

Yup. Same here. Liking the album but this feels like the last time they can get away with the typical amaranthe sound. They either need to break up,  take a long break or do something completely different and artsy (which risks failing).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2016, 08:10:49 AM »
So the album is pretty solid, but I would still rate it the worst of the 4.

Maximize and Break Down and Cry are probably my two favorites followed by Boomerang (damn that song is so catchy).

What I noticed is that the few shows they have been playing, Jake E isn't with them.  It's Adam from Smash into Pieces again (he toured with them in place of Jake E the last round in the US).  I'm starting to wonder if he is on his way out of the band or something.  The reasoning for missing the US tour was due to his daughter's birth.  Fair response.  But I saw on his facebook that he posted he is working on a movie in Boston... so who doesn't tour the shows following a release of the new album?  Pretty disappointing from a fan's perspective if you ask me. 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2016, 12:35:17 PM »
I wasn't really surprised by the poppyness of 'That Song'. Given that they've always included Pop (Or at least, Melodic) elements to their previous albums, I knew they'd do a full-on pop single sooner or later... And it's not really bad either, typical "I love Rock and Roll" type of song. I actually think it'd fit more on an Elyze solo album, but it is what it is. Haven't heard the rest of the album, I'll give it a check

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
So song rankings for me:

Maximize
Break Down and Cry
Boomerang
On the Rocks
That Song
Endlessly
Fireball
Faster
Fury
Supersonic
Limitless

And album rankings:

Massive Addictive
The Nexus
Amaranthe
Maximalism

Offline PetFish

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
I'm really on the fence about getting Maximalism.  I find "That Song" just too Top40 and reading/trusting people here leads me to be worried about the rest of it.  :(

Online Adami

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »
I'm really on the fence about getting Maximalism.  I find "That Song" just too Top40 and reading/trusting people here leads me to be worried about the rest of it.  :(

Oh the rest of it sounds nothing like That Song. There is some of their heaviest stuff on this album.

I really liked the album, but like I said, it's the last "typical" Amaranthe album I feel like I can defend.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »
Yea I would say That Song and Limitless are the only tracks that are top40ish sounding and the rest is typical Amaranthe, but it's just not as top notch as their other albums IMO.  The rest of those tracks are starting to sound too "samey" lol to the rest of their catalog.  I rated it my least favorite, but there is definitely some good stuff on this album worth checking out if you are a fan of the band. 

Offline Christeen

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2016, 11:28:24 PM »
My girlfriend just introduced them to me with The Nexus and I was absolutely blown away

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »
Jake E. Officially Departs Amaranthe

https://bravewords.com/news/exclusive-amaranthe-vocalist-jake-e-makes-departure-official-i-can-t-stand-on-stage-not-believing-in-what-i-m-doing

Since the October 2016 release of Amaranthe's fourth album, Maximalism, vocalist and co-founder Jake E. has been conspicuous in his absence from the touring trail and in the press. The band's triple vocalist attack remained intact for the band's 2016 European tour, however, thanks to Smash Into Pieces singer Chris Adams, who had stepped in for Jake on previous tours when he was honouring other commitments. In November 2016, Jake issued a statement hinting that he had run out of steam, announcing that he was taking a break from the band for an unknown amount of time. In an exclusive interview with BraveWords, Jake makes his departure from Amaranthe official and final. Read on...

"Me and Olof (Mörck / guitars) started the band seven or eight years ago, and everything took off in a way we couldn't have imagined," Jake begins. "Amaranthe became a huge success and we toured the world, and we had a lot of fun doing that. The first two albums (self-titled debut and The Nexus) were exactly what I wanted the band to sound like; a mix between those Soilwork-like guitars and melodic Bon Jovi-type vocals combined with a female voice. Different elements combined, but the main thing in the music was the metal base. On the Massive Addictive album it started to change into something else that I didn't really control, and you can hear the songs that I was more involved in working on are very metal. When we started working on the Maximalism album I found that it wasn't the Amaranthe I had helped create at the start. It wasn't my vision at all and I realized that I had to be true to myself. That was back in March 2016. I love to tour, I love the fans, but I felt that if I wasn't true to myself."

"My idea from the beginning is that we were supposed to be six people in a band striving for the same goal. Nobody had ever seen three singers in a metal band in that formation before, and that was my whole selling point for Amaranthe. We should be marketed as a band with three singers and it worked on the first two albums, but I felt that my place both on the albums and live was reduced; I felt like I was superfluous."

Truth be told, it becomes clear upon repeated listens to the Maximalism album that, by accident or design, Jake does indeed play a reduced role in the songs compared to Amaranthe's previous three records. More often than not he can be heard harmonizing rather than offering stand-alone performances.

"I know my potential as a singer and a songwriter, but over the last couple years I felt I wasn't reaching that potential," says Jake. "You can hardly hear me on the new Amaranthe album. I have a small part here and a small part there, so I started to feel more like a backing singer. I'm 35 years old, and I decided I have to continue with music that makes me happy. Meeting the fans makes me happy and touring is the best thing I've ever done, but I can't stand on stage not believing in what I'm doing. That's the main reason I left Amaranthe."

I didn't even buy the last record - they're moving a little too far into pop music territory for me, though there are some heavier songs, from the bits that I've heard.   I agree with Jake's statement completely though - the original element of the band was heavy music with three singers, and it seems to have strayed from that, whether it's the music, or Jake's role, or both.

Online Adami

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
Sad, but not surprising. I immediately noticed his reduced role on the newest album, even though I mostly like it.

I honestly think they should call it a day at this point. Let Elize go do her own thing, and the other guys can all go do other things too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »
Figured this was going to happen given his absences lately.

He definitely is the lesser of the 3 singers on Maximalism and I think one of the best songs on that album, Break Down and Cry, is the one song that features him the most.  I like his voice a lot and I like it even better when it harmonized with Elize. 

Having said that.  I think some of that statement is BS.  The first time I saw Amaranthe live (after the release of The Nexus) he visibly looked like he didn't want to be there.  My friend and I both concluced after the concert that he must have been sick or he must not like touring or something.  His attitude was very noticeable.  I had the same reaction seeing them the next two times.  He was very visibly uninterested.  Like I said, this was before Massive Addictive.  I also don't think their music has geared too far from what they initially were, sure they have more poppy songs, but the core of Maximalism isn't different than the rest of their catalogue (I just think it's getting a bit stale but they released a new music video today for Boomerang which is an awesome song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjdm5tJ5NiA). 

Now, if the band is going to continue, I hope Adam doesn't replace him because I am not sure I am a big fan of his voice.  But I guess we shall see.  I have a ticket to see them in NJ soon.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »
I'm listening Maximalism for the first time. So far, not as metal as the previews releases.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PetFish

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2017, 12:51:38 AM »
I finally got Maximalism and everything Jake said here fits perfectly and sounds exactly how I would have wanted it to sound if I were saying it.  It's very validating to read his words and makes total sense.

I'm not impressed with Maximalism at all except for "Endlessly" which Elize should not have belted it starting the second time but saved it for the finale.  Who knows what's down the road but Maximalism is just no good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2017, 07:20:16 AM »
I thought Amaranthe was really good this past weekend in NJ.  There was no one there though, it was odd.  My 5th time seeing them and the crowds have gotten smaller to the point that it was dead.  Pretty sad, but the band was great and still performed well.

Anyway, it seems Jake E has a new band https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-in-flames-amaranthe-members-join-forces-in-cyhra/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
From Amaranthe's twitter (although the FB link doesn't work for me)
We are super stoked to announce that the awesome Nils Molin will be officially part of the Amaranthe family from... https://fb.me/80fLV0EZw

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2017, 07:11:18 AM »
Our ex-vocalist JAKE E's new band Cyhra released their debut album "Letters to Myself" today. We send our congratulations to him and his band mates and wish them all the best! You can stream the album from the below link.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4N85L88CanUTGEQ3Z9UBau

^ from Amaranthe's facebook

I almost forget about how much I liked their single.  Got to give this a listen too (along with more Sons of Apollo, and VUUR, wow what a day for music releases).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2018, 10:08:44 PM »
New Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVycjDLx4Y

Not bad, but nothing new. Better than anything on their last album though. Elize is fucking gorgeous.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2018, 07:18:47 AM »
Im not in love with it, but it's not bad.  I do like the new singer so far though.  I miss Jake E, but Nils seems pretty solid.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2018, 10:55:37 PM »
No, sir, I don't like it.

First three albums are awesome.  I think Massive Addictive had a perfect blend of everything to get their "sound" and is probably my favourite of the first three but not by much.

Maximalism is awful and this new track sounds like they're sticking with this format.  I'm glad Jake made the right decision and left since Amaranthe was going down a path away from what got them success in the first place.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2018, 07:03:14 AM »
First three albums are awesome.  I think Massive Addictive had a perfect blend of everything to get their "sound" and is probably my favourite of the first three but not by much.

Maximalism is awful and this new track sounds like they're sticking with this format.  I'm glad Jake made the right decision and left since Amaranthe was going down a path away from what got them success in the first place.

Got to sadly agree with this.  Massive Addictive is probably my favorite of theirs and maybe has been their peak.  I'd say this song isn't as bad as a lot of Maximalism though, so maybe there's some hope.  I feel like they had to notice the large decline in fan base after the last release.  I mean, they only toured the US once for the album (not twice like they had been doing) and the show I went to was attended by maybe 50 people.  They lost a founding member of the band.  They need to come out with a good album to stay relevant IMO.  This song didn't give me hope for that, but I didn't think it was bad enough to just give up on them, yet.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
Massive Addictive was great. Nothing new, but still enjoyable songs. Granted I haven't listened to it in ages. This new song didn't wow me, but it has a good hook. It does make me wish Elize would just go solo, because I love her voice, and I wouldn't mind a pop album from her. Amaranthe is basically a modern day AC/DC, and unfortunately I don't think they have any plans on changing that. If they decided to ditch the growler (something I've wanted them to do since day 1) and went full on poppity poppity pop pop metal, as long as the songs were catchy, I'd still listen to them. I don't know what happened with Maximalism, maybe they weren't inspired and were going through the motions. I guess one can argue they were going through the motions since the debut... I'm rambling at this point. As long as it's catchy I'll listen to it. That's why Taylor Swift's 1989 was such a surprised to me, because I didn't care for her at all. Red is pretty good too. I was hoping for a great follow up to 1989, but she lost me big time again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »
Crap, crap, mega crap...

Online Adami

« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
Crap, crap, mega crap...

Did it come out already? I thought the new songs (that I heard on youtube) are cool, but basically no progression in the slightest bit. Is the rest of the album bad?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »
Crap, crap, mega crap...

Did it come out already? I thought the new songs (that I heard on youtube) are cool, but basically no progression in the slightest bit. Is the rest of the album bad?

It's out to hooligans like me. No progression in the slightest bit sums up this album perfectly. I love Elize's voice, and there are some really catchy choruses, but it's nothing you haven't already heard on the last 4 albums. The first song, The Score is really the only song that left an impression (outside the singles), but I forgot what it sounded like already. 365 is alright, but it's been slightly ruined for me once it was pointed out that the verse melodies are ripped from one of Taylor Swift's awful new songs. The other song, Inferno I noticed the Ed Sheeran rip off on my own. That song is bad regardless.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2018, 08:11:25 PM »
I'll check it out, but my expectations are low and reading that keeps it there.  The singles didn't even get the juices flowing so if those are the better tracks... geeze

Offline PetFish

« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2018, 10:23:24 PM »
Crap, crap, mega crap...

Yep.

Jake did the right thing leaving and stated that this is the exact reason he wanted out.  I just wish I liked his new stuff.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2018, 12:07:50 AM »
Dang it all, people.  What did you guys do to drag me into listening to this?  This sounds like you take all the tropes of bad pop-like metal albums and it's all blended into one album.  The female vocals is just too poppy for me to bear and not in a good way.  Maybe this album may get better as it progresses along?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »
The Amaranthe shtick worked on the first couple of album's, but it has really grown old. How many albums they have made, 5 or 6? They could have been a great band if they had matured a few albums into their career, and expanded their sound.

As it stands, they seem to be happy doing the same album over and over again. And I'll happily not listen to their music.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Yeah, nothing new here.  A few decent songs and the rest is standard Amaranthe - poppy songs, a lot of Elize.  One big heavy song to for the growler (Henrik?) to be featured.  And his vocals are usually very rapid fire and samey throughout the last few albums - it would be nice if they didn't cram so much of his vocals into short bursts.  The first two to three albums are killer, and then they just fell into churning out the same old stuff over and over.

I like the Cyhra album a lot more than this disc. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
Yea, the first three albums got better each time, then it peaked.  Now it's just going down hill.  I also like Cyhra's album a lot more than anything Amaranthe has done recently.  Also Cyhra is already working on a second album, way more anticipated for that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
Finally gave the new album a listen, and maybe my expectations were just low but I actually like it.  Feel like it's definitely better than Maximalism although I also feel like it's typical Amaranthe.  I do like Nils too, Jake E is great but Nils is a solid replacement and his voice adds a different feel so it feels more fresh although it's really nothing different.

Online Adami

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
I liked Maximalism or whatever. I've heard a few of the new songs on Pandora, and they all just sounded completely uninspired. Not bad, just.......straight out of the factory. So I'm skipping this one, and I assume all future albums given that the band sees no point in changing things up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2018, 01:22:36 AM »
I saw them opening for Powerwolf. Ugh. It was painful to sit through that set  :lol

At least some people seemed to be into it so good for them, but all the songs sounded the same to me. Same industrial / dance-y rhytm, looooots of pre-recorded music, and while I admit one or two songs had the occasional catchy chorus, it was one bore after the other.

Really, what I enjoyed the most of their concert was when the bass player took off his shirt urging other people to do so.... and I'm straight, mind you.  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
So I am absolutely loving Helix, I think it's one of their best albums.  Yup, it sounds just like Amaranthe but it's overall well done and has a few stand out tracks that are among their best IMO.  I'd say this is very similar to Massive Addictive which I think is their best album.  Nils is fantastic as well, really proves he belongs here.  Anyway, for fun since I think I'm the only one hear who even digs this band still, song rankings from best to least best:

Breakthrough Starshot
Countdown
Dream
Helix
Momentum
My Haven
The Score
Unified
GG6
Inferno
Iconic

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »
Wow almost a year and no Amaranthe chat, I guess it just kind of shows they have faded a bit.  But they are returning to the US this summer with Battle Beast and working on a new album for release later this year.

However, they are opening for Sabaton in Europe soon and just released a cover of Sabaton's recent single 82nd All The Way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhepwtKR5lg