Author Topic: Onno's Roulette v. THE END  (Read 45779 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Onno's Roulette v. Once upon a time...
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:14 AM »
Just resent it. DTF's PM system must be slightly fucked these days since this is at least the 3rd time I've seen this happen recently.
Got it now, thanks. For all of you: since the PM system seems to be a bit bugged, whenever you're sending me a song in future rounds, post that here so that I can see that you've sent in case the PM doesn't arrive.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 04:41:09 AM »
sent

Offline Onno

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 05:06:43 AM »
Got everything. Will start judging later on this afternoon. Results will probably be up sometime tonight :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »
 :tup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
Does the winner of this whole thing get a P. F. Chang's gift card?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
I had to look that up  :lol Unfortunately, we don't have P.F. Chang's here :( I will decide what the grand prize will be sometime in the future.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »

[South Park] No, Shitty Wok! [/South Park]

:xbones

Following, btw - sorry I couldn't participate, Onno.

Offline Onno

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »

[South Park] No, Shitty Wok! [/South Park]

:xbones

Following, btw - sorry I couldn't participate, Onno.
No problem Deb :) I'm judging now and I'm already loving doing this. I'll probably sign up for a v2 after this is finished; I'll invite you again to participate in that one :)

Offline Onno

Re: Onno's Roulette v. Round 1 Results!
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »
ROUND 1 RESULTS!

High scores everywhere!

crazyaga: Stars of the Lid – A Meaningful Moment Through A Meaning(less) Process

This is something different than the other songs I received. It was about the seventh song I judged, and it really relaxed me. Quite beautiful and nice to clear your thoughts. But even though I liked the song, I don’t think I could make it through an album of songs like it, since it is so minimalistic. Maybe it’s too silent, I don’t know. But listening to this stuff for too long would probably make me sad, though I don’t really know why. I also found it really hard to judge this song; judging it means also comparing it to the other songs, and it’s just such a different type of music. I did my best though.

7.3/10

Nihil-Morari: Led Zeppelin – I Can’t Quit You Baby

Wow, this song is really bluesy! I like it. The bass is a bit low in the mix unfortunately. The guitar is great, and I would expect no less from Mr. Page. This song made me realise why John Bonham is regarded as a fantastic drummer; the drums are really great and the small details are nice. The great thing is that I didn’t even notice these details until I listened a bit better. Overall it’s a cool song; I didn’t really like the lyrics though. They’re really straightforward and not really original, even a bit cheesy. It’s not really my thing. The song is good though.

7.5/10

MoraWintersoul: Dark Tranquility – Lost to Apathy

Really cool melodeath song. I like In Flames and through them I knew of Dark Tranquility’s existence, but I never really took the time to listen to them. I should have, though; this sounds really good. It’s a bit “standard”, but hey, they’re one of the first melodeath bands so I didn’t really expect to hear some mindboggling crazy shit. The melodies are great, the vocals are good and the drums are too. The choruses are quite catchy and fit the song well. The verses are nicely fast paced. The keyboards in the song are cool but a bit too low in the mix and the bass is WAY too low, I can barely hear it. The guitar solo in the middle part is pretty good too, but the bit before that where you can hear the keyboards really well and the guitar is a bit less prominent is just epic. But Milena, please never send me a 240p again :D I found the song on Spotify where the quality was way better. Also, the duration was about 30 seconds longer as well, so I guess they must have cut some bits in the official video you sent me. The last ~50 seconds of this song are really awesome. Overall, it’s a really nice song.

7.9/10

Big Hath: Avantasia – Lost in Space

Cool song! It’s a bit conventional, but it’s good nonetheless. The vocals are great, I especially like them in the choruses. The mix is good. The drums are really simple but it fits the song. The keyboards are great. The lyrics are nothing special, but since this is a song from a concept album, I will have to check that album out. The lyrics are a bit sad, but the song has an uplifting sound which is a good combination.

8.0/10

black_floyd: Byzantine – Ancestry of the Antichrist

Great song! The intro is cool, and I love that they reprise it at the end. The drums are cool. I like the guitar riffs and the lead guitar licks (or whatever they’re called) during the verses. The bass guitar should’ve been a bit more prominent in the mix, but I almost always want it to be more prominent so I guess that’s not really a new thing. I loved the percussion bit in the middle and the guitar solo after that was really cool too. I’m a bit of a nitpicker when it comes to harsh vocals/growls, but the growls featured in this song were good (even though I liked his semi-clean voice in the last verse even more). The lyrics are really cool. The ending is great (more percussion! :D). Overall it’s just a great song. Nice mix of genres, it’s quite unconventional.

8.4/10

Lolzeez: Genesis – Can-Utility and the Coastliners

A few months ago I put on a Genesis album (I believe it was Selling England by the Pound) but I didn’t really like it. I guess I should’ve listened to it better; I was busy doing other things, so I heard it all but didn’t really listen well enough. This song made me realise my mistake in judging Genesis so quickly. It’s a really cool progressive song. Gabriel’s vocals are cool but not that fantastic, but they fit the song well. I really like the keyboards in this song. The guitar is awesome as well. Really, every instrument is cool in this song! I particularly like the bass guitar bit around 4 minutes. Overall, it’s just a great song with great lyrics.

8.5/10

Elite: Ben Folds Five - One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

Wow Rich, you really hit the nail on the head there. Great song, I really like the prominence of the piano in the mix. The song is melodic, and it’s really rocking even though there’s no electric guitar. The singer is good and the lyrics are cool. The drums are simple but not boring and fit the song well. It’s just overall a great song; simple, catchy and it even reminded me of Flying Colors a bit, which is a good thing. One thing that made it extra special for me was the piano; I’m planning to start playing piano in the near future, and this song makes me want to start playing even more.

8.5/10

lonestar: Incura – Here To Blame

Wow, the intro is really cool. It’s almost a bit of classical music. The riff after that is just epic. The vocals are great, the drums are cool and the guitar makes me want to bang my head off. The keyboards are fantastic, though a bit low in the mix at times. Holy shit, this song just blew me away. The lyrics are cool, but not especially good. They could’ve been worse and I wouldn’t even have cared; this song is awesome. My only complaint is the bass guitar; way too low in the mix.

9.0/10

Scorpion: Cat Empire – Fishies

First comment: double bass! My uncle is a professional double bass player and I love the sound of that instrument. And the point where the trumpet came in... Holy shit, this is epic. This is such an uplifting song, and it stays interesting from begin to end. Love the piano solo and the trumpet solo. Too bad the double bass is a bit low in the mix later on in the song. The vocals are great too! The lyrics are good, but not too fantastic. It’s just a really nice song to which you can listen a great number of times without getting bored. I definitely need to hear more songs by these guys.

9.0/10

Dr. DTVT: Agalloch – Falling Snow

In the small write-up you sent in your PM to me, you said that Agalloch was very popular on DTF for a reason. Well, I must say that I have known about Agalloch for some time. I listened to them a few times but I just couldn’t seem to like the high pitched black metal vocals. However, I knew their albums were kind of worshipped everywhere and I wanted to like them. So I was really happy when you sent me this song.
The song starts off great. The mix is fantastic; this, combined with the music itself which is just excellent immediately creates a dark, haunting atmosphere. I love that. For me, it’s not the sort of dark atmosphere that makes me sad; it’s the sort of atmosphere that is just really beautiful. The harsh black metal vocals at first were a bit disappointing; I’m just really not used to them and as I stated before, I’ve always disliked them. But as the song went on and on, I started to like them more. After the listens I gave this song for the judging, I didn’t even mind them anymore. I still like the clean vocals a bit better, but the black metal vocals really contribute towards the atmosphere. The guitars, drums and bass are all just excellent and couldn’t be better in this song. The lyrics are fantastic; a bit indirect and really dark. This is just epic and I have no doubt I will start to like it even more over time. Congratulations, a deserved first place in this round!

9.5/10

FORBIDDEN LIST UPDATE
Added:

Byzantine
Avantasia
Agalloch
Cat Empire
Incura
Ben Folds Five
Genesis
Led Zeppelin
Dark Tranquility

I have used an 8-sided die to determine the theme for the next round! I rolled a 5, which means that the next round's theme will be...

ROUND 2: SHOULDA COULDA WOULDA (I don't know why it's called that)
Send me a song from one of the following genres that I should listen more to:

Prog from 1985 or older
Jazz
Blues
Fusion
Melodic death metal
Neoclassical piano music

A song doesn't only have to be of one of the genres above, as long as the song you sent doesn't contain only a trace of one of those genres. I have to be able to hear it.

You have until Saturday, 17:00 (5 PM) CET. Have fun!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:43:22 PM by Onno »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Onno's Roulette v. Round 1 Results! Yay!
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
You didnt like my fav album of all time? Bummer. Glad you liked this one though. This is gonna be an easy round for me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
Dammit, I just copied the link from the official video channel, I presumed they'd have it in decent quality :lol I had no idea how much crazier over "standard" melodeath could you tolerate. Their albums from '99 onwards piss on anything In Flames has done in the same time period, and The Gallery is a classic of melodeath alongside Whoracle and the Jester Race so I think you could really grow to like this band a lot.

Also, sent you a no-brainer excellent melodeath song/band at once :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
You didnt like my fav album of all time? Bummer. Glad you liked this one though. This is gonna be an easy round for me.
I should try it again. As I said, I didn't listen well enough 'cause I was busy doing other things :)

Dammit, I just copied the link from the official video channel, I presumed they'd have it in decent quality :lol I had no idea how much crazier over "standard" melodeath could you tolerate. Their albums from '99 onwards piss on anything In Flames has done in the same time period, and The Gallery is a classic of melodeath alongside Whoracle and the Jester Race so I think you could really grow to like this band a lot.

Also, sent you a no-brainer excellent melodeath song/band at once :)

Thing is, for In Flames I really like Whoracle, Colony and Clayman. I don't really care about TJR though there are some good songs on there. But I like everything they've done after Clayman (with the exception of Soundtrack To Your Escape). I like some albums/songs better than others, but I especially like Reroute to Remain and Come Clarity.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
Thing is, for In Flames I really like Whoracle, Colony and Clayman. I don't really care about TJR though there are some good songs on there. But I like everything they've done after Clayman (with the exception of Soundtrack To Your Escape). I like some albums/songs better than others, but I especially like Reroute to Remain and Come Clarity.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say they were bad, just that DT was that awesome for me :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean to say they were bad, just that DT was that awesome for me :)
DT is far better than In Flames or DT  :xbones

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Yay Cat Empire! Thank UMH for that one. :laugh:

Will probably send tomorrow, I'm far too tired atm.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »
Maybe I'll have the guts to take a big gamble on this round... You'll notice.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
round 2 sent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
Round 2 sent. Hope ya like Blink 182.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2013, 01:41:49 AM »
No problem Deb :) I'm judging now and I'm already loving doing this. I'll probably sign up for a v2 after this is finished; I'll invite you again to participate in that one :)

Please do! :biggrin:

Offline Onno

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
best band ever. SO ENERGY, SO POWAH

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed that I got last, the song I gave you is a 10/10 song for me..... oh well.
Aniway, sent
I love beautiful things.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
Cent

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
best band ever. SO ENERGY, SO POWAH

:lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
Sent

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
Will be sending something today.

Offline Onno

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »
Wow, it's only Tuesday yet and I only need 2 more entries. Great job guys  :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
Wow, it's only Tuesday yet and I only need 2 more entries. Great job guys  :metal

What weird hemisphere are you on?  It's Thursday in 'Merica, and Friday in the far East.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
I guess he meant Thursday. Weird Dutchies.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
I totally didn't send Willie The Pimp.

Offline Onno

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
:lol Speak for yourself  :biggrin:

And yes, I meant Thursday of course.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2013, 02:54:57 AM »
I totally didn't send Willie The Pimp.

:D

:lol Speak for yourself  :biggrin:

And yes, I meant Thursday of course.

:)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
 :corn

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
 :corn :corn
Loney and Me

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Onno

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »
Rich forgot to send, but he's sending something to me right now. Will judge tomorrow.