Author Topic: House Of Cards (Netflix) - Final season, the end. (spoilers ahead)  (Read 19877 times)

Online faizoff

Just finished watching this series on Netflix today. Great series, opening 2 episodes directed by David Fincher. Kevin Spacey is awesome in this show. I love some of the things they do on the show. The 4th wall part of the show is great, as is how they show text messages popups on the screen.

Great story on political dealing and plotting. I really enjoyed it. Anyone else catch it?

Also if there is a thread on this I apologize, I searched but didn't find any.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:24:00 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: House Of Cards, Season one (Entire series on Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »
Definitely adding this to my instant list. Hope it's good.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
I literally just cancelled my netflix account today so I'm a bit disappointed something of this magnitude with all this talent is only on Netflix. Odd. But I'll see it anyway. I have my ways... I HAVE MY WAYS, NETFLIX, I'VE GIVEN YOU ENOUGH. IT'S REVOLTING TIME. It looks really, really good. Sucks that I've watched everything there is on Netflix that I haven't deemed complete shit and their catalog grows the rate of the amount of pussy I'm getting. Which really is non existent. So. Y'know. Fuck.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
Netflix is just starting to get into the business of making TV shows and then releasing entire seasons for streaming at the same time. They're doing the same for the fourth season of Arrested Development in May.

I will be checking of House of Cards when I can find the time to sit down and watch the series. I do know, however, as part of their deal with Netflix to have the same there, that Netflix has approved two seasons up front, so there will be at least one more season.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »
I've watched the first three episodes; it hasn't really grabbed me yet, but it's definitely nicely executed.  It has a film-like quality to it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
Started watching the original BBC series on Netflix as well now. I see the similarities and like that while they are essentially a remake the US series appears to have originality on its own as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
My roommate just watched a bunch of this last night. I didn't pay attention to much. It seemsreally compelling aside from the unnecessary sex scenes. My roomate really enjoyed. We immediately noticed the stylistic similarities to BBC serials like Sherlock. But it was only stylistic, and not a point of critique. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
My roommate just watched a bunch of this last night. I didn't pay attention to much. It seemsreally compelling aside from the unnecessary sex scenes. My roomate really enjoyed. We immediately noticed the stylistic similarities to BBC serials like Sherlock. But it was only stylistic, and not a point of critique.

Unnecessary sex scenes...  :rollin Those were totally necessary.

Watched the first 2 episodes, want moar.. tonight maybe.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
I love Kevin Spacey, so I'm not going to be able to resist watching this one.

From what I've heard it's kind of a cynical 'anti-West Wing'. What do you guys think?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »
I feel like I should watch it, but I'm more interested in how this will work out for Netflix business-wise, and for television in general.  This could either be the start of something really big or a grand, failed experiment.  I hope its the former. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
The Fourth Season of Arrested Development interests me even more. If that can be brought back by companies like netflix, why not Firefly? Or Deadwood?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
Or bring back The Mullets. Such a stupid, but funny show

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »
Alright, so, I'm about midway through the series. Here are some thoughts in general:

-The Russo storyline is the most compelling of the series, by far, and makes Russo and his family genuinely worthy of sympathy.
-Kevin Spacey does a great job as Frank, but Frank's story isn't very compelling, and the success of his machinations gets kinda boring after awhile: we get it, he's a really strong, smart, and powerful alpha male. Things go his way, all the time. OK.
-Some things about Frank are just really awkward (some spoilers):

1. His monologues are pretty bad; usually the worst displays writing too much to impress in the show. They're really phony when they don't work, and are always chock full of attempts at "zingers" from the writers.
   2. The affair between Frank and Zoe is passionless and unnecessary. The two actors have NO on-screen chemistry, and those scenes are really painful to watch. Plus, I don't get the point: I mean, I get why Zoe might need a sugar daddy, but why does Frank need her? It makes no sense, although it shines some hypocrisy and weakness on Frank's character. Apparently this is the only aspect of the show that wasn't present in the source novel, and it's also the most random and unsatisfying plotline I've seen from the show so far.

-The actual pacing, the quality of the cinematography, the music, etc., all are really strong.

Overall, my impression of the show midway through season 1 is that House of Cards is good, but not great. It doesn't really compare favorably with other shows about "power" (Sopranos, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, and so on), but I will keep watching through the first season anyway.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
we finished the 13 episodes a week or so ago.  Frank's relationship with his wife is complicated to say the least.

Have you watched the college reunion/library dedication episode yet?  Things got real, really quick.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TL

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
I love Kevin Spacey, so I'm not going to be able to resist watching this one.

From what I've heard it's kind of a cynical 'anti-West Wing'. What do you guys think?

I only watched the first episode so far, but that seems like a pretty good description.

For me, I can recognize that it's well made, and that there's some talent there, but it doesn't really seem like it's for me. Too unrelentingly cynical and grim. For me, protagonists in political thrillers have to have a goal other than 'gaining power'. Again, I'm not saying it isn't good. It's just not for me. For political shows, I think I'll be sticking with The West Wing.

I will probably check out another episode or two to make sure I'm not missing anything.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:56:03 PM by TL »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »
I couldn't sleep last night. So started this series around 11:00. I got through the first 5 episodes. I'm loving it so far.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 04:57:40 AM »
I'm a big fan of Kevin Spacey so I am definetely interested in checking this out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
we watched all the episodes a few months ago - pretty cool show.  Spacey is awesome in that role.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »
Never finished the series. I get Netflix kinda recommended people just bullet through it, but I actually took a more spaced-out appraoch, watching an episode or two per week, and honestly? As my semi-appauled fascination with the show's cynicism died down over time, so did my interest in watching it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
Never finished the series. I get Netflix kinda recommended people just bullet through it, but I actually took a more spaced-out appraoch, watching an episode or two per week, and honestly? As my semi-appauled fascination with the show's cynicism died down over time, so did my interest in watching it.

This! Exactly.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Yeah, I found out whilst watching the two episodes that I did watch of this that I don't give two shits about political dramas, no matter who's cast in them. It's just so fucking boring. I really don't give a peanut of a shit. Eh. Now I know. ZZZzzzZZZzzz

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
FWIW, I don't watch a whole lot of TV. I tend to only watch the very best shows, and only after they're gotten rave reviews for multiple seasons. If I don't like a show that much, I won't get very far into it before just moving on to something else. That said, HoC is decent, it's just not up there with some of the better shows to have come out fairly recently.

To put it plainly, HoC's corrupt rich dudes aren't nearly as interesting as Mad Men's. The social subplots in modern DC are nowhere near as compelling as the antiquated ones in Downtown Abbey's, even if they are more "relevant" to modern life. Spacey's cynical jackass main character has absolutely nothing-- and I mean nothing at all-- on Ian McShan's character in Deadwood. And as just a serious Drama that deals with dark issues, what does HoC really do better than, say, The Wire or The Sopranos?

So, OK, that's a totally unfair paragraph I just wrote. But again, I don't watch too much TV, and tend to only get to the very best shows eventually, so while the fact HoC doesn't measure up with some of the best TV ever shouldn't bother most, but it still means I probably won't watch any of Season 2.

Not 'cause I'm a TV snob or something. Just 'cause I don't like TV all that much to begin with.

Offline TL

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
Not even with HoC specifically, but I feel like there's been a trend for a little while now, where people have come to associate dark, gritty, cynical dramas with critically good tv, because there happened to be some good shows that had those characteristics, and now there's almost an Emperor's New Clothes type thing going on.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »
Hm, yeah, you know? I agree. There hasn't been a real critically acclaimed comedy in awhile, and there are plenty of shows that should be.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »
I watched it a few months ago when it first came out. I thought it was fantastic, and I have a great deal of hope for future projects of this magnitude.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
Two episodes in, I am intrigued.  Gonna try to finish up the rest of Season 1 in the next few weeks, and then I will go back and read this thread. :biggrin:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 01:39:26 PM »
Season two is in its last week of production, from what I've seen. And it looks like a potential season three is in the works, as well.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
Cool. More Kate Mara is always a good thing.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
Season two is in its last week of production, from what I've seen. And it looks like a potential season three is in the works, as well.

Excellent!  I really enjoyed this show -- watched it all within two weeks when it came out (Spacey is always a draw for me). 

I'm with bosk tho -- Spacey's chat thru the 4th wall is poor.   :|  And I loved Russo's storyline...sorry it ended up that way.

Looking forward to new episodes.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online faizoff

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
Season 2 going to be released in a few hours, I honestly cannot wait. This week I watched the entire season 1 with director's commentary which would make it my 3rd full watch of the show. Excellent show and have watched a few episodes of the UK version, need to finish that.

The US president is keen on it too it seems.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
I've been working on this the past three days since I've been snowed in.  11 episodes in and I am glad to say I timed this well with the start with the new season.  Also, snow day tomorrow so I'll have more than two episodes to watch.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:44 AM »
First season was really good.  Super excited for the second.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
I'll definitely be digging into Season 2 sometime in the next week or so.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
*S1 SPOILER ALERT*

I got hooked on the first season (watched it all in 4 days) and loved the most of it, but the murder ruined it all for me. Since the tone was so realistic (I was always like "yeah, this could actually happen" while watching), it felt like a really out of place, cheap plot device which completely killed my suspension of disbelief (something I highly value with most TV drama series). Nevertheless, I'm eagerly waiting S2, but the show is a bit 'tainted' for me at this point.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online faizoff

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:51 PM »
*S1 SPOILER ALERT*

I got hooked on the first season (watched it all in 4 days) and loved the most of it, but the murder ruined it all for me. Since the tone was so realistic (I was always like "yeah, this could actually happen" while watching), it felt like a really out of place, cheap plot device which completely killed my suspension of disbelief (something I highly value with most TV drama series). Nevertheless, I'm eagerly waiting S2, but the show is a bit 'tainted' for me at this point.

Continued spoilers of S1

All the major plotlines and that murder are derived from the original UK house of cards, since this show is a re-imagining of that you'd have to blame the original show for including it.

I've watched two episodes so far and it's got me hooked. I cant wait to get home and finish the series, its looks like we're in the run for a great ride.