Author Topic: Daybreak (Netflix)  (Read 3528 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Daybreak (Netflix)
« on: October 26, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
New show on Netflix, found out about it from my daughter who was on the PR team for it. Posted about it in the Last Show thread, but I feel it's good enough for it's own thread, and I need some peeps to talk with about it.

Premise- Post apocalypse, all adults either die or turn into ghouls (zombie like, they crave blood and walk around aimlessly saying the last thing they said in life (which is fucking hysterical)). The teens are in their respective HS cliques, but in a Mad Max kind of way. The show is crass, vulgar, stupid, and fucking brilliant all in one. At least ten bark out loud laughs per episode and a good deal of emotion. Well acted, well written, and put  together solidly.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Daybreak (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:42:02 AM »
Watched the first two episodes....it's pretty good. Very cool take on storytelling. Although, I'll have to admit the opening scene almost turned me off with the mini lecture about global warming and the political jabs. I was worried that's all the show would be.

all in all it's a fun show that keeps me curious and engaged.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »
Watched the first two episodes....it's pretty good. Very cool take on storytelling. Although, I'll have to admit the opening scene almost turned me off with the mini lecture about global warming and the political jabs. I was worried that's all the show would be.

all in all it's a fun show that keeps me curious and engaged.

As it gets deeper, they switch around the storytelling methods from episode to episode. Very creatively done.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Started this last night based on your comments. I'm 3 episodes in. It's like they took the fourth-wall breaking of Deadpool and mixed it in with the Zombieland aesthetic plus a touch of House of Lies. In House of Lies, when Don Cheadle is doing his fourth-wall breaking he occasionally manipulates items while everything is frozen around him.

Pretty cool so far.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »
Finished it up. Really fun show and RJ you’re right. They did get pretty creative worth the storytelling. All in all it’s a good watch.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
Finished it up. Really fun show and RJ you’re right. They did get pretty creative worth the storytelling. All in all it’s a good watch.

Right? There's the run from I think episode 5 to 9 where they keep switching the narrators, starting with Angelica's, and also they switch the storytelling methods to match the narrators personality. It's just so cleverly done. And am I right in saying that the young lady who plays Angelica is just an outstanding actress? She is just so solid beginning to end, reminds me a lot of the Stranger Things kids, such a mature performance out of a 12 year old.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
Yeah....that actress was really good. Outside of the ‘Josh’ character she’s the most important one on the show and like you said, she did a great job with that character.

I like the way they completely throw a 180 at you with Sam Dean as well. It’s not all at once but they take her from what you believe to be one character to a whole other side.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Yeah....that actress was really good. Outside of the ‘Josh’ character she’s the most important one on the show and like you said, she did a great job with that character.

I like the way they completely throw a 180 at you with Sam Dean as well. It’s not all at once but they take her from what you believe to be one character to a whole other side.

I kinda saw that one coming honestly...the way the show was rolling, the standard romance happy ending seemed just a bit too predictable. Having her be that was much more in line with how they were doing it. The way they constantly play Josh as 'the invisible kid' we all ignored in school was brilliant too..."which Josh...biker josh? Gay josh...or the other gay Josh?" shit was hysterical. And Eli's full stealing of the McLovin character was done brilliantly, his line about masturbating as an interpretive dance almost cost me my laptop. Seriously had soda come out my nose.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
I have 2 episodes left to go.

Got to admit, I have a bit of a crush on Ms. Crumble. Pre-apocolpyse, obviously. Big kudos to her acting as well for having to play such opposites. Loved her funky sitcom-based focus episode.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »

Got to admit, I have a bit of a crush on Ms. Crumble. Pre-apocolpyse, obviously. Big kudos to her acting as well for having to play such opposites. Loved her funky sitcom-based focus episode.

A bit of a crush? She's downright stunning man. That smile of hers is pure gold.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 02:23:32 PM »

A bit of a crush? She's downright stunning man. That smile of hers is pure gold.

No, you're right. I was downplaying it. That scene in the bar when she was singing Morrissey in Spanish, wow!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »

No, you're right. I was downplaying it. That scene in the bar when she was singing Morrissey in Spanish, wow!

Seriously man :hearts:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
I haven't see this show on Netflix, but a coworker was telling me about it the other day.

However, I immediately thought of the late, great Groundhog Day-like show of the same name, that starred Taye Diggs; that became more like a miniseries than a show as the last 5 episodes only aired on ABC's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPoPNbgMd0g&list=PLr0MsaDpKsY-32NOmydG4yS2hrp6iMNs5

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 09:25:21 PM »
Just finished. Yikes, that's just wrong. I guess we know who the bad guy will be for Season 2, if there is one.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
Well, this got cancelled. That sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
Well, this got cancelled. That sucks.

Jeez. they didn't waste time on that one. I'd be curious to know the 'numbers' now. What a bummer....it was a fun show.