Author Topic: Cover My Eyes appreciation thread  (Read 6158 times)

Offline MirzekDT

Cover My Eyes appreciation thread
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
The Way It Used To Be thread inspired me to listen to all DT B-Sides after a very long time and they were all pretty good but Cover My Eyes was far better than I remembered it, it's so good straightforward rocking song, very different for DT and I love it. I didn't see it mentioned here much if at all so let's appreciate this great short song :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Cover My Eyes appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
The demo is okay, but the acoustic version on 5YIAL is mostly great.  I wish they'd do more upbeat, acoustic-driven songs like that.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
The demo is okay, but the acoustic version on 5YIAL is mostly great.  I wish they'd do more upbeat, acoustic-driven songs like that.

Or they could just play it more often. If they indeed have plans for an acoustic leg next tour this one will most likely made a comeback, and I wouldn't complain at all.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »
The demo is okay, but the acoustic version on 5YIAL is mostly great. I wish they'd do more upbeat, acoustic-driven songs like that.

I agree - this has great energy and is very upbeat and has a great feel to it. I do like the version on 5YIAL, and it's a shame they sort of screwed up the song in Paris for the recording of OIALT. Even Mike said it wouldn't be on the CD because the performance didn't go well, but luckily there's the bootleg of "The Lost Paris Tapes" (which I used to help fill in the gaps to complete my OIALT show).

I'm glad there's the more polished version from Cleaning Out The Closet as well. BTW, I added this thread to my Song Index thread! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
@Marc: I have the fortune to have one of the three (!) existing performances of the song in the Jordan era, and it's all yours now :)

There's something definitely interesting towards the end. Download and find yourself!

London, 26/01/2002: https://sdrv.ms/VDotfx
- Marco

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
This is another song I very much like.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
I love dancing my ass off silly to this song. Great one. True hit.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »
I love dancing my ass off silly to this song. Great one. True hit.
YES! It's so hard not to dance to this song.  :rollin

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Brilliant song. Such good fun - one of my top favourites (not) on Falling Into Infinity. Never noticed them messing it up on FYIAL though. Went on a bit longer than the studio version, but I thought that was intentional?

Actually - one thing with CME. What on earth is the deal with the groaning? Is he singing "Have I," cos it just sounds like this sort of weird mewling noise. Don't mind it, grown to like it now, but it's very odd.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:28 PM »
Brilliant song. Such good fun - one of my top favourites (not) on Falling Into Infinity. Never noticed them messing it up on FYIAL though. Went on a bit longer than the studio version, but I thought that was intentional?

Actually - one thing with CME. What on earth is the deal with the groaning? Is he singing "Have I," cos it just sounds like this sort of weird mewling noise. Don't mind it, grown to like it now, but it's very odd.
I think it's just "huuuuh-uuuuh". I usually like wordless groaning in songs so I don't mind that :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
This is basically what I've concluded. Cool with it now, but I remember first time I heard it, completely took me out of the song. "What, what's he singing? Is that even words?!"

In other news --
@Marc: I have the fortune to have one of the three (!) existing performances of the song in the Jordan era, and it's all yours now :)

There's something definitely interesting towards the end. Download and find yourself!

This is so cool. It's got a completely different vibe. Almost middle-eastern. Think it's the keyboard that does it. Adds a flavour. Wasn't aware they'd played it with Jordan in the band even once. Very pleased to be wrong.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
Ah, finally, got the download working this time...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »
Yeah, I love those moments. Improving a song or jamming on a theme is a pivotal reason for me loving DT that much (and collecting bootleg too!)  :tup
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
This is basically what I've concluded. Cool with it now, but I remember first time I heard it, completely took me out of the song. "What, what's he singing? Is that even words?!"
I remember watching LSFNY with the ex-bf (seriously, can I call him by his real name by now, I mention him so much :lol) and we're in the middle of Home and he asks me "why the fuck is James moaning like that, it sounds so weird" and I'm like "........ I actually really dig that" :lol

Wasn't aware they'd played it with Jordan in the band even once. Very pleased to be wrong.
Me neither. Hey maybe they could pull Eve out of the cleaned out closet as well :caffeine: prolly not tho' :sadpanda:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
I remember watching LSFNY with the ex-bf (seriously, can I call him by his real name by now, I mention him so much :lol) and we're in the middle of Home and he asks me "why the fuck is James moaning like that, it sounds so weird" and I'm like "........ I actually really dig that" :lol

I enjoy it as well, has a really cool vibe and fits the song well.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 07:50:18 AM »
Another great song.  Didn't they play it on the 6 Degrees tour?  I remember them playing it in Chicago, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »
Another great song.  Didn't they play it on the 6 Degrees tour?  I remember them playing it in Chicago, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

If you note the date of the file that wasteland posted above, it was indeed during the World Tourbulence Tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
Never cared about this song, something about it just turns me off.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »

Have you lost your mind?  :biggrin:
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »

Have you lost your mind?  :biggrin:

Eye c wat ewe did thar!!!

But I agree with ? - this song never did much for me. As for the comments of more upbeat songs, I agree (tho not necessarily acoustically).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
James sings it all slurred on FYIAL and ruins for me, otherwise great song.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »

Thanks for the download. James sounds just as bad unfortunately.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
James sings it all slurred on FYIAL and ruins for me, otherwise great song.

Is the 5YiaLT version the same as the one on the OiaLT Outakes Fanclub CD?  If so, I love the way he sings it. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
I'm quite sure it's not the same. 5YIALT draws footage from the acoustic at Rotteram, while AFAIK, the IFC Disc features outtakes from the Paris show.
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
I'm quite sure it's not the same. 5YIALT draws footage from the acoustic at Rotteram, while AFAIK, the IFC Disc features outtakes from the Paris show.
I believe it is the same performance. The 1998 DTIFC CD (the OiaL outtakes) features songs from both Rotterdam and Paris. IIRC, S2M, GBYBR, HYou and AL were from Paris and the rest of the tracks are from the Rotterdam show
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
I believe it is the same performance. The 1998 DTIFC CD (the OiaL outtakes) features songs from both Rotterdam and Paris. IIRC, S2M, GBYBR, HYou and AL were from Paris and the rest of the tracks are from the Rotterdam show
I could really never remember how many different disks exist from those performances and what's from where. All I know is that I like the 5YIALT DVD and almost everything on it. :hat

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
I could really never remember how many different disks exist from those performances and what's from where. All I know is that I like the 5YIALT DVD and almost everything on it. :hat
The double CD release of OiaL is just Paris. The 1998 DTIFC CD is the mix of Rotterdam and Paris as I mentioned. And then there's the killer audience recording Once in a Lost LIVEtime that has the whole show (tho it's a Grateful Dreams bootleg).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
Which is probably the next one I'm going to have it sent to me. I already have Vive La France (basically the same, non GDT), but there must be some improvement with the Grateful version, so  ::)
- Marco

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »
When I was starved for more DT material in the late 90's, Cover My Eyes satiated my hunger. Therefore, I will always have an appreciation for the song. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
Yeah, I remember when 5 Years in a Lifetime came out, I got the VHS immediately, and there was no song listing on the back cover, so when Cover My Eyes came on second, I was like, "I don't know what song this is, but it is awesome!" And when the Rotterdam section kicked in, that was heavenly.  It really is a shame the band have not done anything like that since.  Doing back-to-back acoustic or piano songs on the last tour was cool, but they are long overdue to do some shows like that Rotterdam one again. :tup :tup

Offline dparrott

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
This song would have been a perfect b-side.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »

Well maybe I miss something but it is B-side isn't it?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »

Well maybe I miss something but it is B-side isn't it?

No.  A "B-side" is a song released with a single, originally the single would be on Side A of a record, and the B-side would be on, well, side B.  With the advent of CD singles, they're all on the same side, but all of the added tracks are "B-sides".  "Cover My Eyes" was never released in this manner. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
More examples of record company stupidity:
1. Not releasing this officially at all
2. Releasing "The Way It Used To Be" on the "Hollow Years" single instead of this
3. Not releasing this on an album that they wanted to be "more commercial"

:huh:

I wish record companies would take their heads out their asses and actually USE THEM.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »
More examples of record company stupidity:
1. Not releasing this officially at all
2. Releasing "The Way It Used To Be" on the "Hollow Years" single instead of this
3. Not releasing this on an album that they wanted to be "more commercial"

:huh:

I wish record companies would take their heads out their asses and actually USE THEM.

Well, "The Way it Used to Be" was a more polished sounding recording that was pretty much ready to go.  "Cover My Eyes" sounded much more like a demo, IMO, so would have needed to have been re-recorded for inclusion on the single.