Author Topic: Heretic's Song Roulette v. A STUNNING CONCLUSION  (Read 40736 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. ROUND TWO results up!
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2013, 02:51:56 AM »
Most do between 8 and 10, so you're good to go.
Also, I sent last night, but I guess you've already seen that.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »
I
WANT
RESULTS
PLEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
Heretic, devil in disguise
Never quit tearing down the walls, brick by brick
Feeding on the lies, heretic
Counterfeit's the kingdom you devise, oh

Results pls.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
Well, we're still missing LieLow's submission, but the deadline's passed. Oh well.

Round 3 - Dark

crazyaga
Coil - Heaven's Blade

Okay I'm going to risk being completely honest here. Unfortunately, I thought this song was absolutely terrible. The lyrics are certainly dark, but they're awkwardly delivered with vocals that have no melody or timbre to them whatsoever, behind music that is neither interesting or dark sounding, really. It was literally hard to sit through this entire thing. I cannot find really one redeemable thing about this song, other than the lyrics fitting the theme I threw out there. While this certainly shows "experimentation" to it's nth degree, I think it lost it's enjoyability taking it so far. Better luck next time?

1.5/5

---

Zantera
Dir en Grey - The Blossoming Beelzebub

Hmm. The famed "Derp and Gay", haha. Never really listened to these guys before this and nothing in this song really made me  want to listen to any other songs. Once again, being entirely honest, I could not stand this guys' vocals at the beginning of the song, and nothing further made me like them any more-- the harsh vocals were actually much more interesting and listenable than the clean ones, really. The instrumentation improved significantly during the middle of the song and I think things picked up after four minutes or so. There's certainly some redeemable qualities to this one, and it really is pretty "dark," so it passes in that regard. However, it didn't impress me at all, really, which I was hoping it would. Ah well.

2/5

---

Elite
Mechanical Poet - Stormchild

The band that made me lose the final round of the DTF Champions Roulette? Nope, no way, no how. You lose as well.

0/5

But seriously. This song kind of felt like Symphony X in a lot of regards. The vocals and the instruments mainly, but the theme kind of suits that feel too. However, my feelings towards this kind of music have lessened dramatically in the past few months, so I enjoyed this a lot less than I would have before. Still though, it was a catchy, fast-paced song that /kind-of/ felt dark, I guess. The guitar solo was nice! Overall not a bad song, but I'll never see how these guys beat the MIGHTY KVELERTAK...

3/5

---

Lolzeez
Riverside - Loose Heart

Hm, more riverside? I mean, this wasn't a terrible song, but I was sent these guys last round plus I mentioned I don't really love them. Perhaps a bad move? Anyways, this song is pretty good, I like the guitar especially, but something about it just leaves me cold. It really didn't engage a "dark" feeling other than perhaps the lyrics. I also wasn't a huge fan of the vocals here. Still, not bad, but nothing spectacular. I liked the ending the best, not because it was over dfsjdkl, but because it got heavy and actually kind-of dark.

3/5

---

Scorpion
Green Carnation - Pile of Doubt

Well, you mentioned wanting to send "Light of Day, Day of Darkness", but I've actually listened to that entire album/song! It was fantastic, too, really enjoyed it the last time I listened to it. This song was great as well. I've never really considered checking out their back catalog as the previously mentioned album/song is usually canonized as their best work. However, this song indicates that they actually have some other good material! While I wasn't too fond of the vocals at the start, they progressed quite well, and the instrumentation was very cool. I enjoyed the melody and the repetition of the songs' main theme. Overall a pretty good song!

3.5/5

---

MoraWintersoul
Green Carnation - The Burden is Mine...Alone

Heh, you and Scorpion sent the same artist. These guys must really have some dark stuff, eh? Well, since this round has been about me being brutally honest, I'll be honest again: this song is awesome. I definitely enjoyed it a bit more than Scorpion's, and the instrumentation and the vocals were even better on this song. The song was somewhat sad and definitely dark. The song is very self-deprecating and it really conveys a sense of emptiness. However, even in that regard it is a beautiful song. the guitar melody is gorgeous, and the vocals suit the song very well. The song is simple and to the point without getting caught up in some other sort of experimentation or change, which helps convey the atmosphere I assume they were striving towards. Sweet!

4/5

---

WindMaster
Enslaved - Materal

Welllp, I've actually heard this album in it's entirety (check the sputnik ratings for future reference, I would say, I'm not familiar with all of their stuff so I didn't put this on the list, but y'know) Either way, I think Ne Obliviscaris does the whole prog metal + black metal combo a lot better than these guys-- I just don't feel anything when I listen to the clean vocals, mainly at the beginning. I prefer the heavier vocals by far and would probably enjoy this band a lot more if they'd stick to them. In any case, I didn't think this song was that "dark" during the actual melodic sections, but I definitely felt it in the heavier sections. The song definitely improved around halfway through the song, the melodic vocals too! The guitars pick up and the song finally sort of establishes itself. The solo is good, too! By the end I feel like I've listened to a substantially good song, though, so I think the destination is well worth the journey. Awesome.

4/5

---

Kari
The Antlers - Bear

I've always considered checking these guys out further. I heard their most recent EP and enjoyed it a lot. I've been told Hospice is one of the saddest albums ever and this song shows that certainly. The lyrics are definitely dark and depressing, and the song leaves me feeling really empty...in a good way, though. The melody behind the song is sort of the opposite of dark, but the meaning behind the song certainly fits the theme. The vocals were really good and emotional, and overall this was a really good song, but from what I've heard about this album I'm sure you could have found something more depressing/dark? Either way, nice!

4/5

---

Well, then. I'd say this was the most disappointing round thus far-- especially seeing as LieLow didn't get anything in either. I really thought you guys would have some excellent music in the "dark" category but that didn't really work out, sadly. When I think of "dark" songs, I think of "Mad World," by Gary Jules. "Jack Nicholson" by the Mayan Factor. "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails. "Fiction" by Avenged Sevenfold. " Any song by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. "One Last Goodbye" by Anathema. "Handcuffs" by Brand New.

These are all songs that evoke really dark imagery, lost, lonely intrinsic pain, or even sadistic/psychosomatic indications at times. Things that convey emptiness and self-doubt, weariness and loneliness. None of these songs really struck an emotional chord with me, nor did they invoke an utter sense of severe darkness entirely. Some songs came close, others had inklings of it, others had darkness interspersed with poppy melodies. However, I realize we all have our own perception of darkness and so if it didn't quite reach that atmosphere I refrained from taking off points--the real thing here is that I just didn't enjoy some of the songs as a whole, which I guess is the real goal of the roulette. I feel terrible giving out bad scores, because you guys are all awesome and I love you. But this round disappointed me as a whole. I think next round might pick things back up a bit, though. Anyways:

RANKINGS:

kari - 11.5
WindMaster - 11.5
Elite - 11
Lolzeez - 10.5
Scorpion - 10.5
MoraWintersoul - 10.5
Zantera - 9.5
crazyaga - 9
LieLow - 8

however... onto...

ROUND FOUR - SEASONS

For this round, I want you to send me a song that sounds like a particular season of the year. Something that evokes Spring, Summer, Autumn, or Winter. Sometimes this is entirely up to the listener's opinion, though, so here's the catch. I will judge all of the songs based on song quality only. However, if you send me a season to match with the song, and I think it definitely sounds like that season, then I will give you between 1 and 3 extra points. You can choose how many to wager, 1, 2, 3, or none! If I find that the song does not match my viewpoints on the sounds of that season, then the wagered points will be deducted from the overall score. So, basically, it's how confident you are the song sounds like the season you're putting out there. I thought this would be an extra bit of fun and way for someone who's gotten behind to potentially catch up. If you submit a 5/5 song and wager three points and fire on all cylinders, then bam! 8 points, right there. So give me something that you think evokes a particular season. And be sure about it! :biggrin:

This round will TENTATIVELY be due on Wednesday, February 20th at 11:59 EST. That's a kind-of-longer wait than usual, but I'm liking the Wednesday deadlines, they fit my college schedule a bit well since we don't get assigned our heavy drawing homework assignments until Friday. However, if everyone submits their song like, three days before the deadline, then I'll post results then. So, tentative deadline that is subject to change based on you guys. Enjoy!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. ROUND THREEEEEE results up!
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
Damn. Ah well. I'm still third place. :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:32:06 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
Glad you liked it. There are definitely darker parts but I think Bear is the best song and captures the overall feel of the album beautfully. There was a lot of darker stuff I could have sent you but after all it is about you discovering new music and I thought the darkness/awesome-new-music-for-you-ratio was best here. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2013, 02:50:44 AM »
Glad you liked it! It's pretty interesting that you prefer Ne Obliviscaris over Enslaved, I don't agree but I definitely see why you think that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2013, 03:04:05 AM »
Gah! I was thinking about sending The Burden Is Mine... Alone as well, but I didn't think it would go over as well.

I'll have a think on the next round.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:43 AM »
Green Carnation was on my list to send as well :lol
Imagine that he would have gotten 3 songs by them.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 06:07:45 AM »
Bear is amazing, great submission!

But yeah, lots of those songs don't strike me as at all dark either.  Interesting how people can have such different interpretations.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 06:46:31 AM »
Also I should have saved Vampire Weekend for this round. :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 07:24:16 AM »
I guess I have to start sending more Post-Rock.  ;)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
Sweet, I knew you would enjoy it!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
I'm very sorry. I was really ill. Is it okay if I send it along with my round 4?

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
Awww. I came last :<
Oh well Coil is not for everyone I guess. I think it was a great song lol, I espicially like that blade-sounding thingy.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm very sorry. I was really ill. Is it okay if I send it along with my round 4?

Ah dude if you were sick then I'll let it slide. Send em' both!

@Jimmy, not necessarily, the songs that won this round weren't! The key thing to impressing me is awesome soaring vocals or amazing melodies in terms of lighter songs and crushing vocals and crazy riffs for heavier stuff.

@ariich, why the heck didn't I get you for this roulette?!

@crazyaga, it's all good. You'll probably do great in this round!

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
I got the perfect song for this round :p
SENT!
I love beautiful things.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
@ariich, why the heck didn't I get you for this roulette?!
I know right?! If only you'd invited me. :'(

If I do another solo roulette sometime (which I think I definitely will eventually because I love discovering music) you'll definitely be invited, the consistency of the stuff you sent me in the roulette of champs was amazing!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
Sendt
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »
Sent yesterday.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »
Might send tomorrow. Been a bit busy, and the round-theme sounds like a bitch. Will have to go through quite a lot of my music-collection to find something, because unlike previous rounds I didn't really get any ideas just from reading the theme.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Might send tomorrow. Been a bit busy, and the round-theme sounds like a bitch. Will have to go through quite a lot of my music-collection to find something, because unlike previous rounds I didn't really get any ideas just from reading the theme.
^ same problem.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
I didn't need to think about it at all. The album's name alone fits the theme!

Si On Avait Besoin D'un Cinquieme Saison

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
I didn't need to think about it at all. The album's name alone fits the theme!

Si On Avait Besoin D'un Cinquieme Saison
Dammit. Was gonna use something from this.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2013, 04:03:11 AM »
Okay, song sent. I feel good about it, at least I hope you will like it.
Didn't quite understand if I was supposed to wager points or if the bonus points were just bonus for including a season (and it paid off), because I did include a season. ;)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
Sent. God that was hard.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
Okay, song sent. I feel good about it, at least I hope you will like it.
Didn't quite understand if I was supposed to wager points or if the bonus points were just bonus for including a season (and it paid off), because I did include a season. ;)

You're supposed to wager 1 to 3 points if you think it sounds like the season you submitted or none at all. If you don't wager any it will just be scored like it would usually.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »
Alright, missed that.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2013, 03:25:27 AM »
I will send later today sorry :) have been busy.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:55 AM »
Can I send classical music?
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »
^ Ignore that. SENT.
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
Sent :)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
Heretic, devil in disguise
Never quit tearing down the walls, brick by brick
Feeding on the lies, heretic
Counterfeit's the kingdom you devise, oh

Results pls.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
 :corn