Author Topic: Heretic's Song Roulette v. A STUNNING CONCLUSION  (Read 39460 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. The Much-Anticipated ROUND 4 RESULTS
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »
 :corn

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
I was going to send you another song bit given the time frame it's all good. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Round 5

MoraWintersoul
The Gathering - The May Song

I don't normally enjoy female vocalists unless the music behind them is really indie pop-ish or something like that. I've heard about this band a fair bit, but the female vocals part was the part that turned me away. Needless to say, on the first song, I wasn't quite as interested as I was after listening to this one. The style of this song suited the vocalists' voice much better, I believe, and the melodies were more interesting. However, I didn't quite like the way she held out her notes-- odd complaint, I know, but it made the song less enjoyable in my opinion. Still, the song wasn't bad, and I liked the guitar.

3.5/5

---

Windmaster
Spirit of the Forest - Mystic Caves

While the last black metal song you sent me completely ruled, I felt like this one was just a typical folk-ish black metal song for the most part. It was good-- don't get me wrong, I just felt like it didn't quite reach the highs of other songs of its kind. It didn't really have something that made it stand out from the crowd. However, that being said, it was still a cool song. The riffs were really cool, the vocals were still pretty sweet, and the band name definitely suited the overall feeling of the song, haha. Cool.

3.5/5

---

Lolzeez
Yes - Starship Trooper

I'll be honest here-- I picked this song right from the start after seeing the length of the other one. There's a certain amount of time that eventually makes it sort of unfair to judge given that most of the other songs are in the five minute range, so, yeah... Anyways. The song! Yes. It's a Yes song, which means it's obviously pretty cool. As I will mention below (seeing as Elite also sent Yes) I really love the instruments behind these songs much more than I love the vocals. The vocals are just a bit too 70's for me at points. It's all good though-- the harmonies that are employed at various sections are quite redeeming in that regard. The song was interesting and I certainly liked it. While I don't think it reached as highly as Elite's submission, i still enjoyed it.

3.5/5

---

crazyaga
Bark Psychosis - Pendulum Man

This song was pretty cool, actually. It had a really good atmosphere and the entire time it never felt overpowering nor underwhelming really... I thought the ambiance of the song was done well, and the instrumentation is good too. I thought the last bit of it was the most interesting section, but there wasn't a ton of variation overall. A good song!

3.5/5

---

Zantera
Beach House - Other People

Alright, this is awkward. I picked this song instead of the other one (Lazuli) because... because, well, kari sent the other song. I could've rectified this, I guess, but I really just enjoyed the songs so much that I'm willing to look past it. Plus, I've judged two Yes songs this round so let's make it a trend. Anyways. I've heard a lot about these guys being dreamy... in the sense of their music. Not sure about their level of attractiveness. Not really intrigued about that either, but that's aside the point. I really liked this song. The melodies are, in fact, quite dreamy, and the vocals, while really different, are actually very cool. This song was really catchy and it really felt like a song you'd want to listen to during the summer. Overall, sweet stuff.

4/5

---

kari
Beach House - Lazuli

As I said with Zantera-- these guys really do utilize the term "dream pop" to the nth degree. The atmosphere of this song is quite drift-y, and the vocals are really cool. Just like Zantera's, the melodies rule, and the song is fairly catchy. I  definitely need to check out these guys' full length. Although, I might save that for summer. The surreal soundscapes that are still somehow upbeat and happy seem like they'd fit perfectly. Thus the name, "Beach House," I suppose. Sweet.

4/5

---

Elite
Yes - Roundabout

Well to be fair, since I've heard this before, I could have sent it back... but I didn't. Because it's such a cool song. My dad was listening to this years before I ever got into music, but I honestly have only listened to this song two or three times legitimately on my own, focused. I really love the instrumentation of course-- this song has always been known for it. The styling of the vocals, while usually not my thing, actually work really well here and I definitely enjoyed them. Overall, the song held my interest and felt like a proper jam session. Kudos!

4/5

---

Scorpion
Ihsahn - On the Shores

This ended up being the third song you sent me (and not because I disliked the second one) but this song was /easily/ the best out of the three and the one I enjoyed the most. Ihsahn's name is certainly famous-- or infamous-- and his projects are usually quite lauded. This song is no exception. The vocals are pretty good, but the real winning factor of this song is made through the use of the instruments -- ie the saxophone, the guitars, the saxophone, the drums, did I mention the saxophone? The change of tone at the four minute mark really puts the song on another level, too, a different pace, one that's even more engaging. The riffage is awesome here, and the sax continues to impress. Overall, a sweet song.

4.5/5

---

LieLow
Gospel - As Far As You Can Throw Me

Well, dang, you've done it. You just like, hit the nail on the head with this one. And the other one really, I just liked this one a tad bit more. There's something about this that isn't just hardcore-- it's like, progressive drumming, post-hardcore vocals, indie-rock riffage-- such a crazy amalmagation, but definitely one that works. The melodies that are subtly in there as well (especially around the two minute mark) are oustanding, and really just put this song on another level. The last few minutes of this song are just incredible. The slower sections that transition into that insane background riff along with the drumming...ahh. Just wonderful stuff all around. Looked this album up on Sputnik andsaw it was rated incredibly high. Definitely one to check out. Absolutely, in every single way possible, awesome.

5/5

---

STANDINGS:

LieLow - 24.5
kari - 23
WindMaster - 22.5
Elite - 22
Scorpion - 21.5
MoraWintersoul - 19.5
Lolzeez - 19.5
Zantera - 19.5
crazyaga - 19

And that concludes Round Five! LieLow stays in the lead! kari edges past WindMaster! Everyone else basically stayed in the same spot despite variations in the scoring! Awesome round, people! Nothing lower than a 3.5 and one 5! This roulette is going quite smoothly, for the most part-- I've been a tad late on my result-posting, but some of the songs were sent in late too, so we'll all just sit and quietly applaud ourselves for at least getting it done. I was really happy with the songs this round, though, definitely some albums and bands to check out! However, now it's time for...

ROUND SIX

Alright, everyone's going to start booing after I post this, but the theme of this round is...MAKE ME LIKE IT. Yep, that's right-- take a look at the list of things I posted that I /do not/ like and prove to me that there's some good inside of it. In order to not make this round a fest of 1.5's and 2's (which I hope it won't be, seeing as you guys will certainly find something awesome inside of the list of things I haven't taken to) I will judge the songs accordingly. So, while I might not hand out 5's willy nilly, I'll certainly give higher scores for things that have redeeming qualities. And, of course, if you just send me a song that proves me wrong about the whole deal, then it will be scored well too. This might take some time-- you might have to go through Swans' discography and find a song that reminds you of the bands I really like. You might have to search a million punk bands until you find one that has melody and riffage and awesomeness. So, seeing as it's a different sort of round, and I've already kind of screwed up my own time limitations, the songs for this round will be due on Friday, March 8, at 11:59 EST. And tentatively later, I dealt with that fine this round. We're all busy.

In any case, let er' rip. Bust out a country song that is actually awesome and let me have it. Work to make me like the things that I have expressed distaste in-- there's always exceptions!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. The Doubly-Anticipated ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
Also-- no one did the Phone a Friend option. Come on, guys.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
Yay, a 5! :D Yeah it's a really unique album. Definitely recommended. :)

Tough round we got here. I'll have to think on this one.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2013, 01:05:43 AM »
Okay, so who's gonna send Pain Of Salvation? :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:16 AM »
Awesome, me and Kari think alike.  :D

Sending PoS would be cool, I don't know what I will send yet though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »
Sent.

Also, fuck yes Ihsahn. You have yet to let me down. :metal
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:55:22 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2013, 03:44:40 AM »
Okay, so who's gonna send Pain Of Salvation? :lol

Me?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
Song sent, hope it fits with the round and that you will like it. :)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »
Damnit Elite! I was thinking of that song too...
Good choice.  :metal

Also Heretic. Screw you for not listening to Close To The Edge instead.   >:(

Devin Townsend and related music (save for Ziltoid and Ocean Machine)

Terria.  :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »
Damn.

This will be a tough round. I'll try to send soon.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »
Damn.

Yeah. I barely like anything you don't like Heretic... :D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
I'm stuck on doing poppy singer-songwriter, rap/hip-hop, or punk. Got something good in mind for all 3.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
Damn.

Yeah. I barely like anything you don't like Heretic... :D

That's because you have awesome taste, of course!

Oh, and when I say poppy singer-songwriter-ish stuff, I don't mean like, all singer-songwriter stuff (I like Elliot Smith, Jeff Buckley, Nick Drake, Ray LaMontagne, etc. etc.) I mean stuff like James Blunt, Joshua Radin, Adam Lambert, etc. I hope that is somewhat understandable, haha.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:34 AM »
Sent. I hope youll love and appriciate that song as much as I do.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:52 AM »
Done.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:56 PM »
Can you clear your inbox please? I want to change my song if that is okay. :) Hope it's not trouble.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
Sorry, wasn't aware it was full! It's clear now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
Sent.  :metal

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
 :corn

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »
He probably can't listen to all the crap we sent him.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »
Probably pretty accurate.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
I'll bet my country tune did it. :(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
Nah, Pain of Salvation killed him, I guess.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
My punk tune probably 'sploded his head off.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
MoraWintersoul
Pain Of Salvation - Lilium Cruentus (Deus Nova)

Ehhh. Pain of Salvation. Have never really cared for anything I heard by these guys, and this song didn't change my opinion that much. The use of the saxophone(?) was sweet, but those yelling/singing vocals were really, really cringeworthy. Otherwise, the song wasn't bad, persay, but it just wasn't amazing. Maybe if he sang melodic vocals throughout the song and didn't either talk or half-sing. The chorus was catchy, and the guitar was good, so overall, it's not terrible.

3/5

---

Lolzeez
Devin Townsend - Earth Day

I actually /have/ heard this song before. I don't remember it very well, though, but I think I remember having a lukewarm reaction. I did this time, too. The vocals were the worst part. Unnecessary emphasis on certain words and sounds combined with his signature singing style just makes for a "MEH" reaction from me. The instruments were great, but those vocals really kill a lot of the first part of the song for me. I think they worked much better when the song started to get a bit "crazier" and they began to suit the music more. The fast-paced screams were kind of cool, too. The overall psuedo-go-green lyrics of the song were kind of laughable at points, I especially was amused by him yelling "RECYCLE!" In any case, the song wasn't bad, but it didn't make me want to listen to anymore of Terria, unfortunately.

3/5

---

Elite
Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius

Hmm,  more PoS? Okay, we'll try it out.

Basically, my thoughts are the same for this PoS song as they were for Mora's. Alright stuff, but nothing special. The piano in the intro was awesome, and the song had good melodies, but really it's just the vocalist that kills it for me. Maybe it's better in the context of an album or something but his vocals just don't resonate with me. Still, i didn't hate it, so that's a success.

3/5

---

LieLow
Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots - Song Rebecca Calls 'That Birdcage Song' Which Never Was Though Now Kind Of Is Because Of Her Influence

Congratulations on having the longest song name ever. Anyways, this song was such a freaking mixed bag. It was definitely interesting in the instrumentation, but the vocals were terrible. Like, honestly, this song would be AWESOME without the vocals. Or with someone else singing, maybe? Seriously, the violin, the other more subtle instruments? They're fantastic. But that guys' voice is just grating. I would listen to an instrumental band like this. Definitely a unique take on the country genre, though. And thanks to the amazing instrumentation, I can't give this less than 3.5.

3.5/5

---

Scorpion
Devin Townsend - Deep Peace

Scorpion, I had so much faith in you this round, and you send me Devin Townsend?! :lol Seriously, though. The verdict stands. This guys' vocals just are not for me. This really seems to be a theme for this round-- awesome instrumentation, terrible vocals. I guess it's harder to screw instruments up?This song really started to pick up around the four and a half minute mark, with some really good guitar work. The vocals were actually tolerable here, too, so I can definitely say it ended on a good note.

3.5/5

---

kari
Kendrick Lamar - Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe

Woo, the riskiest submission this round! Hip-hop! I can't particularly say that I loved this, but it was actually enjoyable. The beats were good, the melody that is subtly there is good, too. The singing vocals are super-whiny, though, could've gone without those, haha. The repetition of the title was kind of stupid, too, but the verses were actually engaging and interesting. Overall, not a bad song, not a particularly amazing one, but definitely  cool in several regards.

3.5/5

---

WindMaster
Catharsis - Sabbat

This song definitely started off on a strange note. The sort of chanting/chamber choir thing always makes for an interesting introduction to a song. It definitely worked here. I myself wouldn't have ever called this "punk" but I can certainly see traces of it in the guitar riffs. The vocals are really heavy and the melodies are good. The drumming was actually my favorite part, such talent. The reprise of the choir section was a good ending note, too. A pretty sweet song!

3.5/5

---

crazyaga
Swans - Helpless Child

Heheheh. I knew you would send me Swans. I literally could have bet thousands upon thousands of dollars on it. Fortunately, I have not heard the album this is off of, so I went in completely unbiased. This song was certainly better than ANYTHING I heard from The Seer. The atmosphere was kind of odd and creepy, and the instrumentation was good. The biggest thing that gets me with these guys are the vocals. However, at least here, they were much  more listenable than on The Seer. The lyrics were quite unsettling, and I think the song accomplished what it was going for.

3.5/5

---

Zantera
Tori Amos - Flying Dutchman

This song wasn't anywhere NEAR the sound of "poppy singer/songwriter" that I was talking about, but it really is that type of song, and a really pretty song, at that. I loved the piano and the melodies. The lyrics were sort of playful, but still enjoyable. I really like the use of the many instruments to achieve the overall atmosphere. It almost reminded me of a movie-soundtrack song. It's certainly sort of reminiscent in sound, if that makes any sense. Like, nostalgic? Maybe that's it. The ending in particular was really gorgeous. Really sweet stuff, definitely not something I would dislike!

4/5

---

STANDINGS:

LieLow - 28
kari - 26.5
WindMaster - 26
Elite - 25
Scorpion - 24.5
Zantera - 23.5
crazyaga - 22.5
Lolzeez - 22.5
MoraWintersoul - 21.5

So, my thoughts on this round were: cool! Some good stuff, some meh, but overall, nothing that made me want to throw my computer out the window. There were some really cool hints at stuff I think I would really like (the instruments in LieLow's song, the atmosphere in crazyaga's, the nostalgic vibe of Zantera's) so I think this round was successful in that regard. For having to send songs that I wouldn't initially seek out, you guys did great. Now, onto..

ROUND SEVEN!

The theme for this round is going to be a little crazy. That is, it will take some organizing. This is due to the fact that this round's theme will be: TAG TEAM. But, there are nine of us! That's not even...? You're right. For this round, I want you guys to partner up with someone else and talk (through PMs, facebook, it doesn't matter) and decide on a song to send me. One person will either have to go solo or join another group, which I'm fine with either. The trick here is that the scores of each song will go to the team that sent them's individual scores. So, if Zantera and LieLow team up and send me a 3.5 song, they'll each get that score added to their total score. I'm doing this for three specific reasons: A) it will give you guys a chance to think about something that is really, really awesome by reviewing which songs have done the best in this roulette thus far and looking at my favorite bands list, gauge the options, and come to a satisfying conclusion. B) it will add to the competition; each team wants to do the best, but everyone wants points for themselves, so what to do? Two high scorers pair up? A high scorer and a low scorer pairing up? What's the best strategy? and C) this week is going to be super stressful for me, so there being less songs will equate for quicker results and better availability.

To team up, you guys can either post in this thread talking about it, or PM each other. Whenever you have decided on a team, however, I want you to post what the team is in this thread so everyone else knows what to expect. The songs are due tentatively. So, get them in as soon as you can, but I'm not having a definitive deadline, because I want you guys to have time to figure out what to send me and actually send songs that will all be in the 4's and higher.

Tips on bands I'm digging at the moment (therefore styles or types of music you could search to send):

Intronaut
The Ocean
The National
Thank You Scientist
Karnivool
Rosetta

Anyways, good luck for this round. I'm expecting it to the best yet, seeing as you have time, resources, and endless options for what to send. You've seen what works, and you know each other's music tastes somewhat. Work to send me the best you can! I'm having a blast running this roulette, by the way. You guys are awesome.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. BREAKING: ROUND SIX results!
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
Lots of 3.5s. :o

Shame you didn't like Iter Impius much though. One of the best songs ever IMO.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:48:03 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
Lol I was planning on sending Deep Peace too. Good job Scorpion.

I should have sent Swans.  :-\

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
Tori Amos? That's like cheating. :P

Also I want to team up with Windmaster so we can get LieLow.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2013, 02:00:22 AM »
I sent a PM to Scorpion about an hour ago, because we're pretty even in score and I'm sure we can find something awesome.
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »
I want to not tag-team if that's cool that I get to be that one person, I take too much time to think anyway :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »
Okay so a team-round it is.

Lielow do you maybe wanna team up?  :angel: