Author Topic: Ħ's top 22 Dream Theater songs -------#1 REVEALED!  (Read 10578 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: Ħ's top 22 Dream Theater songs
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
What is the VROOOM part? I don't seem to recall a part that I can relate that automatopia to.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 01:41:42 AM »
What is the VROOOM part? I don't seem to recall a part that I can relate that automatopia to.

I think he means the badass bass slide Myung does leading into the second verse. I love that bit.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »
Yeah, probably that.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
Yup, exactly that.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
11. "Beyond This Life"
Surprised to see this one? You might be. People see it as the ugly counterpart to "Fatal Tragedy". I think that's a mistake. "Beyond This Life" is a funky rocker all the way through. It's just so...fun. You can't help but bob your body back and forth to the groove! Just skip to about 7:20 in the track. You feelin' the groove? Yeah? Not to mention, it has incredible technical contributions from everyone in the band - in particular, Petrucci and Rudess have quite a tasty shred-fest that sets the standard for a proper instrumental duel.

10. "Metropolis"
This is probably too low of a ranking for most people - that's okay; I'm prepared to give you nine songs that top it. Regardless, I still see "Metropolis" as one of Dream Theater's five "pillar" tracks. This beast represents a central part of Dream Theater's style - it's technical and precise, yet wacky and wild. Systematically chaotic is what this song is. And it just so happens to be my #2 LaBrie track...stay tuned for #1.

9. "Trial Of Tears"
Still awake
I continue to move along
Cultivating my own nonsense
Welcome to the wasteland
Where you'll find ashes
Nothing but ashes

John Myung is a mysterious man. He doesn't talk much.  But when he does, his lyrical expressions are so passionate, so desperate, cutting. I connect with this song on a very deep level. To me, "Trial Of Tears" represents the disillusionment that one can experience when trying to make it in human society. America's standards are superficial - you can try and try and try, but you'll still be rejected. Your physical appearance is meaningless; it bears nothing to the truth of your character and value as a person - but others will still judge you for it. One response to this rejection is to fall into silent submission to the harsh reality of the situation. Accept that you're a nobody, that you just got a lousy draw; too bad for you. This is what I used to do, and it dragged me into deep depression and despair. A far better response, though, is to simply acknowledge society's standards are flawed and unjustified. Dismiss it. Fuhgettaboutit. Set your own values for your life that you think are right. Evaluate your character and your goals by those values that you deem true and good. But you must be proactive and assertive in finding true purpose or you'll be left with "nothing but ashes". Do or die.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:28:43 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
Excellent choices!

I've always loved BTL, especially for the instrumental section that for some reason DTF doesn't seem to like. It's got one of the best keyboard solos and one of the best guitar solos, and it's complex, and wacky, and fun, and it's everything I want from DT.

And Metropolis and ToT are always great choices. ToT was actually one of the last songs I got into from FII, maybe because it builds slowly, but the payoff is worth it.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »
John Myung is a mysterious man. He doesn't talk much.  But when he does, his lyrical expressions are so passionate, so desperate, cutting. I connect with this song on a very deep level. To me, "Trial Of Tears" represents the disillusionment that one can experiences when trying to make it in human society. America's standards are superficial - you can try and try and try, but you'll still be rejected. Your physical appearance is meaningless; it bears nothing to the truth of your character and value as a person - but others will still judge you for it. One response to this rejection is to fall into silent submission to the harsh reality of the situation. Accept that you're a nobody, that you just got a lousy draw; too bad for you. This is what I used to do, and it dragged me into deep depression and despair. A far better response, though, is to simply acknowledge society's standards are flawed and unjustified. Dismiss it. Fuhgettaboutit. Set your own values for your life that you think are right. Evaluate your character and your goals by those values that you deem true and good. But you must be proactive and assertive in finding true purpose or you'll be left with "nothing but ashes". Do or die.

:clap:

That's a very great write-up there. I agree 100% but I'm still stuck in the phase of being scared of what others think about me. I love that paragraph so much I may have to use it somewhere.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »
Haha, I'm honored you read the whole thing!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
And somehow, both top 50 lists that started after your top 22 list did have caught up or passed it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
I commend your observational skills!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
8. "Surrounded"
Not only one of my favorite tracks from Images, but my #1 LaBrie song. The vocals are on fiyahhh from beginning to end, but particularly the development, where LaBrie soars far above anything I've ever heard from him. It's a one-of-a-kind Dream Theater song that shies away from technicality and heavy metal, opting for a more bright, simple, energetic sound. Plus, you've just got to love Petrucci's very tasteful riffs. Doooo DAT, doo-dah doo doo DAT. Love it.

7. "Learning To Live"
Probably, many people will think that #7 is too low a spot for what I consider to be the second of Dream Theater's five great Pillars. (The first was "Metropolis", if you remember.) It's a fantastic song, though, that captures Dream Theater's melodic side of, well, all of the musicians in the band. Even Myung has a good chunk of time in the spotlight. In fact, it is Myung's kickoff to that outro that makes the whole song just that much more incredible.

6. "Octavarium"
The third Pillar. I don't see too much rave about "Octavarium" compared to when I first joined the forum. No one really talks about it anymoer. Nevertheless, it always comes up to the top of the survivors and in individual rankings. That's because it's a beast. There's not much I can really say about it, other than that every bit is tasteful and well-executed.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
Two good songs and one dud for me, though I would concede that they are all essential. Great to see some Surrounded appreciation, I haven't seen it in too many Top 50 threads.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »
Great songs.  I am fairly new to DT and could not get into Octavarium until I listened a few times.  Loved LTL on the first listen.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
Learning to Live and Octavarium are very deserving. Surrounded is great too, but dunno if I'd place it that high.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
If anything, I'd say LTL is ranked way too high, not too low. Weakest song on IaW imo.
Surrounded is a great little song, although I don't know why suddenly everyone's ranking it so high lately (not that I'm really complaining, as I love seeing DT's simpler ballady side getting appreciated).
And Octavarium is great. It seems to be getting more and more hate here lately, so it's almost refreshing to actually see it ranked highly...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
Surrounded is a great little song, although I don't know why suddenly everyone's ranking it so high lately (not that I'm really complaining, as I love seeing DT's simpler ballady side getting appreciated).
Surrounded is unique in the sense that it is one of DT's few uplifting songs. It's also got that charming 80's melodic vibe that is sadly absent post-Images. Also, you have the extraordinary extended version they played during the SC tour. Perhaps it is for these reasons that people have taken a liking to it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Surrounded is unique in the sense that it is one of DT's few uplifting songs. It's also got that charming 80's melodic vibe that is sadly absent post-Images. Also, you have the extraordinary extended version they played during the SC tour. Perhaps it is for these reasons that people have taken a liking to it.

I got the impression that most people weren't too thrilled about the SC extended version.
Don't get me wrong, I love the song, and I definitely see what the appeal is, it just seems that all of a sudden it's gone from an average IaW track (a very high average, so I don't say that with any negative connotation at all), to one that everyone seems to rank super high all of a sudden.
As I said, I'm not complaining, it's just interesting. I'm enjoying seeing the lighter stuff get some appreciation, because I think DT does it really well. :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »
Surrounded is a great little song, although I don't know why suddenly everyone's ranking it so high lately (not that I'm really complaining, as

I would say it's due to the aftershocks of the ADTOE tour. At least, that's the reason for me.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
Surrounded is a great little song, although I don't know why suddenly everyone's ranking it so high lately (not that I'm really complaining, as

I would say it's due to the aftershocks of the ADTOE tour. At least, that's the reason for me.

I don't believe that's the reason, unless everyone who's ranking it higher happened to see them on this tour and they played that song at every one. It's not like the song's been out for over 20 years or anything. :P

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 01:39:58 AM »
Well, after seeing the perfect performance at LP my Surrounded jumped upwards by a number a steps that I won't disclose. Of course I can't speak for the others, but I've never found the live performances of the song after 1993 to be particularly enthralling. Until this year.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
It may also be a matter of new members (who love Surrounded) joining and old ones (who don't praise it as much) not hanging around here anymore, and those who have stayed here longer may have started to love it more (this is the case with me). I think the same has happened to the title-track of Octavarium in reverse: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=3364.0 - I remember that around the time I joined it seemed to get overwhelming praise, and as you can see, it won the DT survivor a couple of times, but in 2010 it finished at #4, and recently I've heard more critical comments on it than before.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
5. "Fatal Tragedy"
The crown of Scenes From A Memory. This is Dream Theater's technical prog side at it's best. I think this song is just incredible. It sweeps you off your feet. The polyrhythmic flurry of notes can easily go over your head, but if you tune your ear just right, bam! It clicks.

Interestingly, it's one of those songs that has no structure. It just moves from point A to point B. No recapitulation, no recurring themes, nothing. It's just a wild ride.

Guesses for top 4?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
:tup I love Fatal Tragedy. The "Inspector Gadget" riff makes the verses awesome, it's got the neat vocal harmonies throughout, and then there's that instrumental section!

Top 4-

4. You Not Me
3. Burning My Soul
2. Prophets of War
1. The pregap track between Panic Attack and Never Enough

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
5. "Fatal Tragedy"
The crown of Scenes From A Memory. This is Dream Theater's technical prog side at it's best. I think this song is just incredible. It sweeps you off your feet. The polyrhythmic flurry of notes can easily go over your head, but if you tune your ear just right, bam! It clicks.

Interestingly, it's one of those songs that has no structure. It just moves from point A to point B. No recapitulation, no recurring themes, nothing. It's just a wild ride.

I praise you sir  :hefdaddy
Excellent placement  ::)

Guesses for top 4?
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
What is the Inspector Gadget riff?

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »
1. The pregap track between Panic Attack and Never Enough
:rollin

Anyways,awesome choice.  :tup

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
Always thought that Fatal Tragedy was overrated. The instrumental section is awesome, but everything else is just not really doing it for me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
4. "New Millennium"
"New Millennium" is fantastic. It took a long time to really get it, but once I did, I couldn't believe how few people recognized it as a great song, even as a decent song. But I get it. It flies under that radar as just another mediocre song from Dream Theater's most mediocre album. Let me tell you that it is about to grab your jewels. It'll happen the day you least expect it.

Anyway, what is so great about NM? First, it's got the catchiest bass riff over the catchiest rhythmic meter in all of Dream Theaterdom. Onetwothreefourfivesix, onetwothreefourfivesix, onetwo, onetwo, onetwothreefourfivesix, etc etc etc. Second, it's got an extraordinary performance from LaBrie, who really digs his nails into the music and makes it personal. Third, you've got that wicked drum beat, that groovy Petrucci solo, and some very well-suited and well-selected keyboard patches that just put icing on the cake.

A groovy song full of attitude and spunk.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
You have a few songs in different places than I would, but overall, fantastic song choices.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »
4. "New Millennium"
Onetwothreefourfivesix, onetwothreefourfivesix, onetwo, onetwo, onetwothreefourfivesix, etc etc etc

This is just 4/4, but I agree that it's a catchy time signature. :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »
Wait, for real?!  :facepalm:

I fail at music.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:27 PM »
Yep, 4/4. That's a very popular rhythm that you hear a lot in popular music, and in quite a few of DT's songs (Panic Attack comes to mind).

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »
4. "New Millennium"
"New Millennium" is fantastic. It took a long time to really get it, but once I did, I couldn't believe how few people recognized it as a great song, even as a decent song. But I get it. It flies under that radar as just another mediocre song from Dream Theater's most mediocre album. Let me tell you that it is about to grab your jewels. It'll happen the day you least expect it.

Anyway, what is so great about NM? First, it's got the catchiest bass riff over the catchiest rhythmic meter in all of Dream Theaterdom. Onetwothreefourfivesix, onetwothreefourfivesix, onetwo, onetwo, onetwothreefourfivesix, etc etc etc. Second, it's got an extraordinary performance from LaBrie, who really digs his nails into the music and makes it personal. Third, you've got that wicked drum beat, that groovy Petrucci solo, and some very well-suited and well-selected keyboard patches that just put icing on the cake.

A groovy song full of attitude and spunk.

Glad someone else loves New Millennium <3

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
What is the Inspector Gadget riff?

The riff that comes behind the verse at the start just before "I shut the door".

Interesting choice with New Millennium. Haters gonna hate, but I think it's a great song, and I've loved it ever since properly listening to the Budokan version.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
22. Endless Sacrifice
21. Overture 1928
20. Blind Faith
19. The Dance Of Eternity
18. Pull Me Under
17. Hell's Kitchen
16. On The Backs Of Angels
15. Honor Thy Father
14. Take The Time
13. As I Am
12. Strange Deja-Vu
11. Beyond This Life
10. Metropolis
9. Trial Of Tears
8. Surrounded
7. Learning To Live
6. Octavarium
5. Fatal Tragedy
4. New Millennium
3. ???
2. ???
1. ???

Any guesses for top 3?