Author Topic: Noticed something about the 2nd Amendment  (Read 4103 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Noticed something about the 2nd Amendment
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
I don't think they should.
So people shouldn't have the right to bear arms and protect there homes from criminals? Why not?

Because we have police for that.
lol

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »
I was perusing the forum at Officer.com to see what those scumbag cops have to say about gun control (an awful lot and no surprises) and I came across this.  Absolutely fucking priceless.   :rollin

Anti-gun police start a gun show

http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/seattle-gun-show/

''In what will probably be one of the funnier stories of the year, the Seattle Police accidentally started a gun show while they were trying to “get guns off the streets”. They staged a “gun buyback” program where they offered small gift cards to people willing to “turn in” their guns. The only problem? Gun collectors got wind of the project, and set up shop right next to them.

Gun collectors set up booths next to the police and even outbid them. Some gun booths gave out free cookies and refreshments. There was nothing the Seattle police could do — this was perfectly legal, at least for now. To say that this frustrated them is an understatement. Even the mayor had a press conference whining about why we should heavily regulate or ban gun shows.

The gun show apparently continued to grow, with a huge crowd abandoning the police line after they ran out of gift cards, and continuing to buy and sell firearms with the gun booths. Some people even drove by, jumped out, quickly made their sales, and then sped off.

The police were not amused. John Diaz, the police chief of Seattle, said, “I’d prefer they wouldn’t sell them.” The mayor, Mike McGinn, said in frustration that gun shows should be banned completely, explaining, “There’s no background checks, and some (guns) could be exchanged on the streets that shouldn’t be in circulation.”
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:22 AM »
You left out the best part:

This is why leftists are always so bad at economics. They don’t understand the nature of the entrepreneur – but that’s alright, we capitalists do. You can learn more about the hilarious turn of events here or here.

That honestly is what frustrates me so much about the anti-gun control activists. Everyone who advocates for a little regulation is just a raging, wussy leftist who can't hang in the world of freedom.

Why can't regulation be brought up without invoking hormonal reactions (on both sides, really)?

Offline Tick

• Cleavage is a drug! Dracula is a junkie
  • DTF.org Member
  • We will, we will, Trump you, boom boom, clap!
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
a rant...

Gun control...
Ok, so if you are a sane competent person who owns a firearm for the purpose of protecting your family let me ask you this...
Why in hell would you turn your gun in to a "gun buyback" program?
Is it because you feel the world will be safer if you no longer own a gun? Do you think that secretly your a madman ready to implode?
Is it because you feel if you turn in your gun this will make psychotic people less likely to commit mass murder?
Is it because you are now convinced that trying to call the police when an intruder is staring you down with a gun at 2:00 am is a better more effective option?
Lend me some insight to your rational so I can better understand why you feel like this?
Is it because the world is becoming increasingly more dangerous and forfeiting your weapon will make you safer?
Why?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
a rant...

Gun control...
Ok, so if you are a sane competent person who owns a firearm for the purpose of protecting your family let me ask you this...

Er, Tick, those gun buy back programs are not targeted at these people.   :)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
a rant...

Gun control...

Er, Tick, those gun buy back programs are not targeted at these people.   :)
Maybe not, but I live in Connecticut when the sadness and sorrow is overcoming reason. If you watched the local Connecticut newscasts you would see people who once had guns to keep themselves safe have turned melancholy and are turning in their guns.

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
I think people should have a right to protect their homes BUT that doesn't translate into needing a shed just to house all of your automatic weapons.  There needs to be a line drawn somewhere.   If you need a sheds worth of guns to protect your home, I'd like to know what your doing with your spare time.

There really is no logical reason to possess many guns unless your just someone who likes to collect weapons and antique arms.  In that case you don't need bullets for them.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:47 AM »
I think people should have a right to protect their homes BUT that doesn't translate into needing a shed just to house all of your automatic weapons.  There needs to be a line drawn somewhere.   If you need a sheds worth of guns to protect your home, I'd like to know what your doing with your spare time.

There really is no logical reason to possess many guns unless your just someone who likes to collect weapons and antique arms.  In that case you don't need bullets for them.
Absolutely!

First off, I'm not a gun nut. I don't even own one, nor do I personally have a desire to. My wife on the other hand feels differently, and is considering classes on how properly to use a gun. I don't agree, but I won't fight her if that's what she really wants to do.

People should retain the right to bear arms. Should it be easy to obtain a gun? No. Guns are devices that are used to end a persons life. That should never be taken lightly. That doesn't mean there can't be a right channel to go through to obtain one.
I hope this makes clear my feelings on the subject.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
Crystal clear to me.  And in general, I agree with you  :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »
One thing I always wondered... all these people that want guns because they fear a home invasion... Why not just put stickers in all your windows that state there are loaded firearms in the house... My family does it for our alarm system. It's probably the best deterrent. If I'm breaking into a house, and know before hand (or at least am convinced) that there are guns inside, I'm moving on to the next house.

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
One thing I always wondered... all these people that want guns because they fear a home invasion... Why not just put stickers in all your windows that state there are loaded firearms in the house... My family does it for our alarm system. It's probably the best deterrent. If I'm breaking into a house, and know before hand (or at least am convinced) that there are guns inside, I'm moving on to the next house.

Agreed.   

Oh and that avatar is just awesome.  It would be as contradictory as showing a photo of Christopher Hitchens wearing a crucifix.   ;)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
Well, the other side of that coin is to some criminals advertising you have guns in the home is extra added incentive to break in. Its actually music to there ears and they hope you are telling the truth.
Newsflash.... They want your guns! Criminals case homes and see patterns of when the occupants are and are not home. In many cases they know when is the right time to rob you.
I guess the good news might be that they rob your home and take your guns when you are not home.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
Tick beat me to it.  People don't burglarize homes to steal alarm systems. I always laugh at people who put "protected by Glock" stickers on their vehicles. WTF?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »
Well then in that case, just put up alarm signs even if you don't have one, as well as get a big ass dog.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 09:24:34 AM »
Well then in that case, just put up alarm signs even if you don't have one, as well as get a big ass dog.
I did that for years. Now I have a great legit alarm system. I have cameras that show people who even walk on my lawn from all angles. My daughter hates it. She feels violated. Probably cause it prevents her from getting away with stuff when my wife and I arent home. ha haa.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
I did that for years. Now I have a great legit alarm system. I have cameras that show people who even walk on my lawn from all angles. My daughter hates it. She feels violated. Probably cause it prevents her from getting away with stuff when my wife and I arent home. ha haa.
Damn, I don't blame her.  :lol

I've got alarm decals as well, but truth be told, so does everybody. I doubt burglars really pay much attention to those. Kick a door in and if an alarm doesn't go off, go on about your business. As for me, I've got webcams pointed at both doors and I'll get an email to my phone within 30 seconds of any movement. Hopefully enough time to have Jonny get there and beat the shit out of any intruders.
E.F. Benson

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
I'm less high tech. Deadbolts and doorknob locks on all doors including the door coming up from our basement to the middle floor. Our windows have the standard locks, but I've also wedged a shim in the basement windows making it near impossible to open.
 Our sliding glass door on our deck into the kitchen I'd locked and has a steel bar in the track. I've got motion sensor lights..two sets in the back yard and one in the front... And a 12 year old Shepherd/lab mix that may or may not hear a criminal trying to get in my house.
  I guarantee ill be awoke if someone tries to get in or does come in and if after I yell down the steps that I'm armed and they'd best leave they still feel the need to round the corner and attempt to come up the steps....well they aint there to take my TV so i truly do wish grace upon his/her soul at that point.
  A 12 gauge shotgun blast to the chest probably won't feel good from 20 foot cuz I'm not going to quiz them on their intentions.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
I just rig my house like Home Alone every time I go out.

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
I just rig my house like Home Alone every time I go out.

So you get McCaulay Culkin out of rehab and pay him to watch your house?  ;)

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
I'm less high tech. Deadbolts and doorknob locks on all doors including the door coming up from our basement to the middle floor. Our windows have the standard locks, but I've also wedged a shim in the basement windows making it near impossible to open.
Fortunately my landlady popped for some excellent locks. Somebody tried to force my front door a 2 months ago when I was in DC and all they managed was to bend the deadbolt enough so that it couldn't be unlocked. The irony is that if they had gotten in I might have had Johnny there in time to beat/taze/shoot his sorry ass. Regardless, one of the reasons I'm moving is because my front door has zero visibility. He could have set up camp and spent all night working on that door and nobody would have ever noticed.  That's why I resorted to the webcams.

So you get McCaulay Culkin out of rehab and pay him to watch your house?  ;)
Rehab??? Man, if that guy doesn't OD this year he's going to leave an awful lot of deadpoolers sorely disappointed. He was money in the bank this year.
E.F. Benson

Offline TL

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Something that tends to get glossed over when discussing the second amendment;

When it was written, the arms in question were muskets. The founding fathers had no notion of automatic weapons.
They didn't intend for anyone to be able to have an automatic pistol or an assault rifle just because. They decided to allow a regulated group to have muskets in case the British decided to stage an invasion (which I don't think it all that likely these days).

It wouldn't be so easy to illegally obtain weapons in the US if the legal market didn't create a completely legal reason for those types of weapons in those quantities to be manufactured and circulating. The American obsession with the second amendment also creates a culture where people jump to guns as a solution far too quickly (and when this combines with America's poor track record with mental health issues, it can and often does lead to tragedy).

There was a case recently where an American tourist was attending the Calgary Stampede. Alberta is by far the most right wing part of Canada, and Calgary is at the heart of it. At one point, he and his wife were approached by two young men asking if they'd been to certain events. The American told them it was none of their business, and in an editorial he went on to write, he stated that he wished he'd had a gun, and that it was lucky that those Canadians hadn't pulled a gun on him.
It turns out, by the way, that they were volunteers handing out event passes to attendees.
Even in Calgary, the reaction he got was a lot of people, mostly Conservatives, laughing in his face, and making fun of how quick he was to resort to pulling a gun on innocent people because he thought they were suspicious (if only those durn Canadians had let him carry a gun).

This 'we need guns just in case' attitude is why the US had over 30,000 gun deaths last year, while Canada had about 400. We have all the same violent media, and we have plenty of firearms in this country, but we have a bit of common sense about it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
The American obsession with the second amendment also creates a culture where people jump to guns as a solution far too quickly (and when this combines with America's poor track record with mental health issues, it can and often does lead to tragedy).

I'm increasingly convinced that this is why we get into so many wars; we don't and can't deal with 'em, so we ship the gun nuts off to another country, let it be their problem.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:35 AM »
I still say we should all walk around with swords.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
Something that tends to get glossed over when discussing the second amendment;

When it was written, the arms in question were muskets. The founding fathers had no notion of automatic weapons.
They didn't intend for anyone to be able to have an automatic pistol or an assault rifle just because. They decided to allow a regulated group to have muskets in case the British decided to stage an invasion (which I don't think it all that likely these days).

The problem with that argument is that it falsely agrues against a technology dichotomy while missing the bigger point.  Sure, gun technology as increased tremendously since the time the Constitution was written.  That isn't the issue.  Yes, the guns in question were mostly muskets and muzzle loaders.  But the issue isn't the limit on technology.  The issue is that those muskets and muzzle loaders were state of the art military-grade technology in those days.  And citizens had the right to own and carry weapons of state of the art military-grade technology to protect themselves from all manner of threats, both military and otherwise.  So I think a perfectly fair argument can be made that the purpose and intent of the Second Amendment is for law abiding citizenry to continue to have access to whatever the state of the art military-grade technology of the day happens to be, because that is what it would take to repel a threat that has access to that same technology.  Personally, I think it is also common sense to have limits on that.  And that is really where the debate needs to continue:  determining what those reasonable limits are. 

It wouldn't be so easy to illegally obtain weapons in the US if the legal market didn't create a completely legal reason for those types of weapons in those quantities to be manufactured and circulating.

I don't know what this means.  If you are saying that automatic weapons are legal, you are mistaken, as has been pointed out numerous times on this forum.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
So I think a perfectly fair argument can be made that the purpose and intent of the Second Amendment is for law abiding citizenry to continue to have access to whatever the state of the art military-grade technology of the day happens to be, because that is what it would take to repel a threat that has access to that same technology.  Personally, I think it is also common sense to have limits on that.  And that is really where the debate needs to continue:  determining what those reasonable limits are. 

Sounds good to me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
So I think a perfectly fair argument can be made that the purpose and intent of the Second Amendment is for law abiding citizenry to continue to have access to whatever the state of the art military-grade technology of the day happens to be, because that is what it would take to repel a threat that has access to that same technology.  Personally, I think it is also common sense to have limits on that.  And that is really where the debate needs to continue:  determining what those reasonable limits are. 

Sounds good to me.

The limits are already in place to a large degree. Just due the cost and knowledge needed for government grade weapons puts them out of reach for virtually everyone but the military. Your average citizen isn't going to have LRAD systems, lasers that burn through stuff, nuclear weapons that could fit in a suitcase, 12 round semi-automatic grenade launchers, respirators that allow you to breathe your recycled air for hours on end, dragon skin body armor, sophisticated night vision systems, etc...

I absolutely hate the argument of civilians needing enough fire power to defend themselves from the government. It's so one sided that no one would ever stand a chance if the military did in fact turn on its own country.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »
The irony of House Rep. Louie Gohmert not showing up to his town hall event out of fear of a "Gabby Giffords event" is just too much.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Sounds good to me.

The limits are already in place to a large degree. Just due the cost and knowledge needed for government grade weapons puts them out of reach for virtually everyone but the military. Your average citizen isn't going to have LRAD systems, lasers that burn through stuff, nuclear weapons that could fit in a suitcase, 12 round semi-automatic grenade launchers, respirators that allow you to breathe your recycled air for hours on end, dragon skin body armor, sophisticated night vision systems, etc...

I absolutely hate the argument of civilians needing enough fire power to defend themselves from the government. It's so one sided that no one would ever stand a chance if the military did in fact turn on its own country.

But it would be cooler than shit to have laser-guided grenade launchers on my car the next time I flip my lights at Mr. "Ima just gonna sit in the left lane while I send a cock picture to my girlfriend" and he flips me the bird.